• Stuart98
    Stuart98

SimCity: Road Layout Guide

Hey all, it’s Chris Schmidt, a Tuning Designer here at Maxis. It’s been a while since I posted a blog, but today I am here to talk to you all about road layout. I have received a lot of feedback from folks about suggestions to road guides, and asking for advice on how best to lay out roads in your cities, so I will compile my thoughts on the matter here.

While each city site has its own unique challenges, I’d like to share a couple of my layouts from my favorite region, Reflection Atoll, and give some general advice on how to make the most of your layouts. In general, I tend to like gridded cities, as they offer the best format to allow your city to grow as it prospers. But there is something to be said for the use of curved roads to strategically make use of sections of the city that would otherwise not be well utilized, or to avoid intersections at corners so your traffic doesn’t have to slow down. Additionally, I find that while avenues are nice for allowing more traffic to flow along them, and of course for streetcars, the tradeoff of taking twice as much space is really only worth it for main thoroughfares. By effectively using busses and managing building facing though strategic road upgrades, thin roads can be significantly more effective at managing your traffic than avenues.

Read the rest: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-road-layout-guide

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

"In general, I tend to like gridded cities, as they offer the best format to allow your city to grow as it prospers" So Maxis also realized the free road design wasn't good. See people, they can notice problems with their own game.

Share this comment

Those tools are still handy. They would be limited to unique issues. An example is using curvy roads with extreme changes in elevation. I would certainly like to enjoy them. If I had the game

Share this comment

Thought was April's fools joke. 

What he describes are known after a lot of head bashing and bulldozing. We just need to show them that any other design  doesn't work and need to fix the damn thing with the public transportation since housing/jobs cant be fixed I think. :/

Share this comment

You may want to check out the flexible road system in Cities in Motion 2. To think that a studio of only 10 people (!) can put Maxis to shame!

Share this comment

why do they keep spamming this website?

I dont know but it is annoying. Maxis and EA should know better than to spam forums.

Share this comment

You may want to check out the flexible road system in Cities in Motion 2. To think that a studio of only 10 people (!) can put Maxis to shame!

upper level roads are cool to bad you can't build them in simcity 5

Share this comment