• Dirktator
    Dirktator

SimCity Modded to Play Offline Indefinitely

UKAzzer published a video to YouTube (via Reddit) that shows him playing around in the game's debug mode.

From there, he was able to edit the highways that connect cities together outside of the city boundaries. The game's city sizes have been criticised by some for being too small.

"You can edit the highways ANYWHERE - even outside of your city boundary," UKAzzer said, "and even if you quit the game and log back in later, it's all saved safely on the server.

"This shows that highway editing will be easily possible, AND that editing outside of the artificially small city boundaries should be very viable too."

Meanwhile, UKAzzer modded out the "fluffed population count" so the game shows the real population count - a disparity players have complained about since launch.

Most importantly, UKAzzer was able to disable SimCity's disconnection timer, thus setting it to unlimited. Tests have shown SimCity kicks you out after around 20 minutes of offline play.

Source: Eurogamer

User Feedback

This is excelent news. If only this game had a decent simulator to simulate traffic on these new selfmade highway and roadnetworks, but elas, Glassbox seems to be the next debacle about this game. 

Share this comment

This is making me excited, but its also making me concerned.

Why would EA/Maxis/Origin/whatever put all these limitations on this game when it is capable of so much more? A rushed development cycle perhaps?

I can't wait to see how this develops.... Imagine real highways (not RHW lol), true single-player, and city tiles as large as the entire region!

Share this comment

Why would EA/Maxis/Origin/whatever put all these limitations on this game when it is capable of so much more? A rushed development cycle perhaps?

It really i$n't that hard to $see why EA decided to put limit$ on thi$ game $ince tho$e item$ can be put into the $imCity$tore for late purcha$e

Share this comment

It really i$n't that hard to $see why EA decided to put limit$ on thi$ game $ince tho$e item$ can be put into the $imCity$tore for late purcha$e

Nice one... I was just about to say that $-$ made EA have probably its worst fail ever!

Share this comment

Also this launch shouldn't be a surprise for anyone here.  During the entire process the devs were feeding us BS about how awesome this online experience would be.  How much Kool aid did these people drink?

The whole process was flawed and Cities XL model should have proven the online idea was complete and utter nonsense with this type of game.

Now one interesting thing I read was that the Devs (to their credit) may have made the game easy to crack as a big FU to EA and kick-start a proper "re-development of the game" My hope is the source code will be discreetly released and full open modding of this game can begin to a result that will allow glassbox to run properly (as I don't think glassbox is the issue)

Share this comment

Hmm.  I'd like to know the real story.  Clearly what we've been told is misinformed at best.  I will not purchase another EA title, or even go for the free one they're giving me, until they seriously come clean, make proper amends, and earn some trust back. 

Share this comment

Not surprised by this... just shows them all up to be complete liars I guess I won't be buying any more EA games.

Share this comment

This is no shocker. It probably hurts them to tell the truth. Make's them probably even fell sick to there stomach. Either way, this guy gets a "Great job!".

Share this comment

too good for words. to the ea supporters still left out there, what more proof do you need? they have zero credibility. fantastic job to the modder for sticking it real good to them.

Share this comment

Lol! if one guy who didn't even work on the game can get a semi-working offline version going in a week then surely Maxis's claim that offline mode is impossible is a lie. If not they need to hire this guy.

Share this comment

Pffff!  What one fool can do, another fool can undo.  I don't think much of their vaunted DRM security.

Currently their stock seems to be up and down like a toilet seat.  Wonder if anyone wants to grab them now?  They seem vulnerable.

Share this comment

Pffff!  What one fool can do, another fool can undo.  I don't think much of their vaunted DRM security.

Currently their stock seems to be up and down like a toilet seat.  Wonder if anyone wants to grab them now?  They seem vulnerable.

They tried to sell themselves, nobody wanted EA as it stands.  Sure they'll take certain titles but not the entire company...its toxic.

Share this comment

This launch is really turning into a massive PR nightmare for both Maxis and EA. They're really starting to lose the little trust I had left in them...

Share this comment

After seeing this, I feel so defrauded! Like they basically lied about so much that its stupid to believe anything they say

Share this comment

certainly gives more credence to the anonymous MAXIS whistleblower who stated it shouldn't be that big of a problem to code an offline mode.

Share this comment