• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

SimCity Megacity Has Over 100 Million People Living In It

Haljackey

y1ysm8okuuyn9fdgr83n.png

SimCity Megacity Has Over 100 Million People Living In It

puusnxowwovoacvm1uw8.gif

Peter Richie's SimCity 4 project, called (what else) Megacity One, is like something out of a science-fiction story. Using 81 large city tiles, 26,542km of roads, 8,626km of subway lines and 324 hydrogen power plants, he has managed to create a single sprawling metropolis of 107,658,254 people.

For reference, the largest urban centre in the real world, Tokyo-Yokohama, has "only" 37 million residents. If you've ever been to Tokyo, and noticed how from many vantage points the city never visibly ends, imagine one three times larger.

Like many larger cities in the world that have spread so far they've overrun other big settlements, Megacity One actually comprises multiple city centres. The four here have things like airports placed in between, to minimise pollution and maximise density.

Some other fun facts: there are 512 water pumps, 486 waste management centres, over 2000 schools, 81 universities and 162 colleges.

The best fact, though, is that he did it all without the use of mods. It's 100% urban planning and SimCity 4.

If you want to read about the challenges of keeping the entire thing running, Richie's interview with Motherboard is good reading.

pvgivzj6ctk1dur39i67.jpg This 107 Million Person 'SimCity' Region Is a Portrait of Our Megacity Future

When you've got one Earth and an unending boom in population growth, the gravitational pull of …Read on motherboard.​vice.​com

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

SimNation

Posted

To bad its a region, thought it was 1 tile city, still impressive for a non modded game. Biggest I saw was a region with 1 billon population but the person used cutom bats n I think the CAM like many do.

Share this comment

NCGAIO

Posted

"Entire Region made ​​with zero mods, zero cheats, Pure SimCity 4

Wow .. simply a genius!  :ooh:

:idea: Sugestion - open a thread anywhere to explain how managed to dribble the dozens of issues addressed in this and other forums relating to bugs that hinder development.  

Could start by saying for example how could do this without using cheats for money?  :???:

Another chapter in the amazing series - "Believe that if you want" :]

Share this comment

Casper3141

Posted

I dunno. seems that he wanted a realistic massive city but not one freeway or any rail lines?

Share this comment

madhatter106

Posted

The building repetition hurts my eyes.  The goggles, they do not work...

Share this comment

lucidus

Posted

It's gridtastic. It is quite an accomplishment without copying or mods though.

Share this comment

Prophet42

Posted

He did it even without NAM?  Now that's impressive.  I, however, would not like to live in a city of over 100 million.  Imagine the crowds!!

Share this comment

Jorge_carrillo

Posted

81 (9x9) big cities for 107 million is quivalent to 1.32 million sims per big city of 4kmx4km, or  82,561 per square kilometer of the City Larna reached 23 million in 4x4 big cities or 1.4million sims per big city or 89800sims per square kilometer.

Share this comment

chocolate_city

Posted

I find it almost impossible to believe that he didn't use any cheats... could you imaging trying to get to work or anywhere using just surface streets... Is there even a freight system? Is there air cargo ... Still it is an accomplishment... meh...

Share this comment

Cyclone Boom

Posted

Wow, that's a concrete jungle. Full marks for the effort! :golly:

Share this comment

Sandis_van_Great

Posted

if you look at 0:33-0:36 ish, isnt there some custom buildings that arent maxis original?

Share this comment

arcology

Posted

My personal favorite on the video at 1:45 - "multiple rage quits".

Share this comment

Jamonbread

Posted

He was using NAM I thought in the multiple rage quits frame...no?

Share this comment

KonstantinII

Posted

No interesting designs or whatever, boring...who would ever like to live in such a city.

Share this comment