• Freddyeddy
    Freddyeddy

SimCity Hack Lets Users Destroy Anyone's Online City Thanks To Always-On DRM

"Basically, as the video shows below, you can enter into another person's online town and wreck havoc. It's awesome because this hack is only as destructive as it is because of EA's decision to make the game always-on. If the game hadn't had always-on DRM then this hack wouldn't be half as devastating as it is. Having EA delete these kind of topics from their forums is great damage control but don't be surprised if there's another furor when people start raging on the forums when some hacker decides to go through and Godzilla everyone's town. Enjoy."

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/SimCity-Hack-Lets-Users-Destroy-Anyone-Online-City-Thanks-Always-DRM-53685.html

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Hold on a sec. 

Easy to jump the bandwagon.

According to the guy who made the video, yes you could destroy the city, but not in real time. You could do it in your own "instance". 

The city never uploaded on the servers, nothing was permanent and nothing affected the user that was playing the game. 

Share this comment

But it could be. He only didn't sync the cities because he doesn't endorse the method

But I'm starting to feel like Jack Nicholson here...

I warned 'em!

Does anyone want to take bets on what the next piece of unheeded advice that will bite EA on the botty will be?

Share this comment

That just made locally and therefore does not change the game saved on the server!

Want something to worry about? that such an attack from its neighbor supplied directly by a DLC game?

SimCity 5 DLC Store to Include Nuke Neighbor - http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=1240

Yes this will be a problem! Simcity led to a new level without a doubt!  SimWARS

Share this comment

You know p4rgaming is the video game equivalent of The Onion, right?

Also it is fully possible to make it appear on the server. The guy who did this said that it can be done, he just chose not to do it as he refuses to be that guy. For now...

Share this comment

Well .. I do not see much difference can send things like crime or pollution that would be much fun in the game according to what KK said in several interviews over the past year.

note: The page was removed at the request of the publisher.

Share this comment

1 -  not listen ning to fans to make larger maps and always online

2 - forgetting said fans have hacked,cracked and modded the hell out of the previous game for improvement purposes

3 - Releasing game anyway and beeing surprised the dlc train derailed for bigger map and offline mode by modders

(to come) 4 - Hackers taking revenge for screwing over the fanbase, forcing EA to make an offlinemode because the server are going down within a year due to constant attacks.

now what will EA learn from this? (you'd think, listen to the fans) Nothing...

Share this comment

CghreJH.png

This so true. He could have had fun destroying everyone's cities and have a good laugh but he chose to expose the MAJOR flaws in the game. UKAzzer's posts were deleted by EA on EA's forums but I hope EA get exposed for trying to cover up.

Dear EA,

This is what I feel after watching this:

Yuri-laughing-GIF.gif

Regards,

Hellken

Share this comment

If there wasn't a mass exodus before, this bit of news would invoke it. So unless EA does something in the next 48 hours, I'm forcasting the  existing player population half every day they neglect to do something. Because let's face it, no one is going to play a sim where their city could be in ruins when they wake up the next day or come back from work or school. 

Share this comment

I'm so glad to see this guy didn't sync the cities after he rampaged them. Anyone who would do this to someone else's city (and make it sync) is despicable. 

Share this comment

"Hackers" comment here

"so while I *CAN* "Take over" any city I like and run the simulation as if it was my own, place buildings, change taxes, play for hours, or destroy it - It *WON'T* be synced to the server at all, so no permanent changes are ever made to another player's cities."

Still, let's not let the facts get in the way of righteous indignation.

Share this comment

"Hackers" comment here

"so while I *CAN* "Take over" any city I like and run the simulation as if it was my own, place buildings, change taxes, play for hours, or destroy it - It *WON'T* be synced to the server at all, so no permanent changes are ever made to another player's cities."

Still, let's not let the facts get in the way of righteous indignation.

But he didn't say he CAN'T sync it.

Share this comment

Watching this unfold over this past week has been hilarious and depressing... EA is having a hard time keeping their franchises afloat...

I guess that the good thing about all this is that it's given me new interest in Sim City 4 and this site... I can't believe it's been 4 years since I've been on last...

Share this comment

I saw this coming a year ago when they announced the ability to wreak havoc on your neighbors. Aside from the hack, there is the ability to effect your neighbor negatively within the allowed game design. They called it fun.

Share this comment