• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

SimCity developer asks modders to maintain the integrity of the game.

Dirktator

A blog post on SimCity's official site encourages players to create and download mods for the game, but asks that they do not "jeopardize the integrity of the gameplay or harm the experience of others."

The post by the SimCity development team says that Maxis and Electronic Arts have a long tradition of supporting the modding community, which they wish to extend to SimCity as well, but only if they follow a list of rules.

The rules are largely predictable, asking modders not to add copyrighted or adult material into the game, and prohibiting them from selling the content they create. EA reserves the right to stop players from distributing any mods that violate these rules.

More vague is the rule against mods that impact the simulation of multiplayer games and features, such as leaderboards or trading with other players. SimCity players have been vocal about their issues with some basic design decisions in the game, and would presumably enjoy mods that change them. The rules don't make it clear that such mods would be allowed.

Also limiting modders is that SimCity still doesn't have an offline mode, though a recent post from the development team on EA's official forums says that it's still exploring one, as it "will give our players more room to experiment."

In March 2013, EA said that an offline mode didn't fit with its vision for the game. In October 2013, after a strong response from the player community, Maxis said it was looking into adding an offline mode.

At the Game Developers Conference 2012, SimCity creative director Ocean Quigley (who has since left EA) said that the he and his team are huge fans of the modding community and that they've "designed all this stuff to be moddable."

You can find SimCity's official modding policy here.

Via: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-encourages-simcity-modding-with-limitations-still-considering-offline-mode/1100-6417075/

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

A Nonny Moose

Posted

Sounds like a veiled threat.  Sims City seems to lack the open-endedness of previous versions.

Share this comment

Huston

Posted

I have a feeling that SC2013 isn't going to last any longer.

Share this comment

MandelSoft

Posted

They have signed the death sentence of this game again. I think this game will lose its fan-base in not too long time if they keep to these restrictions.

Share this comment

beatle

Posted

This I'm sure, is exactly how everyone who is ripped off by EA feels. :)   I have a feeling that SC2013 isn't going to last any longer.
    I think they are looking into offline mode to get out of maintaining the many servers currently in place for online play. I would think usage has dropped considerably since their reactive decision to setup so many servers. Once offline mode is in place, I can see the start of unplugging of multiple sc2013 servers and the end to this poorly designed game. The game looked great, but the engine under it is not scalable enough to support bigger maps. Modding would be great, but does not look like ea/maxis will spend any money on developing or giving tools for us to use. If they were smart they would sell terraforming and modding tools. It looks like the current mods out there only replace existing buildings (skins?). Anyway, why spend any effort creating new buildings if you don't have any map room to put them on... ;)

Share this comment

Haljackey

Posted

Nowhere to go but up from this point.

Share this comment

Cheddar

Posted

With the restrictions, even modding won't save this game. 

Share this comment

Sandis_van_Great

Posted

I don't even understand how they imagined to have mods with multiplayer anyway. If i would had 5gb of mods like i have with SC4 now, would that mean that whenever somebody is visiting me he would have to download all the mods? or he wouldnt even see them? maybe he would just crash lol.

I was real sceptical about this game since the announcement and although i was told to wait and see how this game will florish(same as sc4 toke some time) i really don't see any light at the end of this tunnel even by now, it looks darker than ever :D

Share this comment

CapTon

Posted

Wonder if EA/Maxis will consider making another SimCity game. And if they do, will it be as bad as this one? Only thing I really wanna talk about with this game now :)

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

The only solution now for EA is to abandon the title for another 10 years.  It would be nice if they would publish the source for SC4 but I wouldn't lose any sleep waiting for this.  They are more tenacious than a college professor with tenure.

Share this comment

jabezscratch

Posted

I haven't purchased/played SC2013 and nothing I've heard since its release urges me to go out and get the game.  SC has become all about player modding and EA seems to have thrown battery acid all over that aspect of the game.  I also have about 5GB of plugins/mods with SC4 and it makes that game a wonderful experience.  I (like so many of you) have played SC4 for a decade or so and SC2013 certainly has not given any reason to pass the torch.

Share this comment

Mithrik

Posted

EA, you did it once again. Up to now the restrictions on modding seem to be a little vague, but if they decide to go the way this implies, then SC2013 is going to be dead pretty soon.

Share this comment

SAGGG

Posted

Wow. After reading this article, I'm convinced now more than ever EA's trying to throw this game under the bus, especially now after they've gotten their money they've tricked us out of. What an incredibly arrogant dude that Kip guy is! >:(

Share this comment

paeng

Posted

To me this looks really great... come on, EA - just one tiny step left!

Lift the "Always-Online"/"Origin"-Ban on Single-Player-Mode and leave that box to the Modders and their Community.

For all I care, give us some switch that prevents modding the Online Mode all together, ensuring the integrity of your game.

Then take your Leader Boards, Pay4DLC and all the other "Visionary Novelties" - you'll see, most of us will be able to live with that 'restriction' perfectly fine...

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

It doesn't matter.  An off-line mode will not give you access to the source and that never to be sufficiently damned glass box.  Modders will not be able to expland the maps for this because it will just drag the simulation down to a crawl.

If all you want is 3D, think again.  This is very expensive on processor cycles not matter how many cores you think you can throw at it.  There are limits to growth, and unless a hypercube were to be available dividing up the simulation algorithm can't help much if at all.

How many of the rationalizers out there have actually written a line of code?

Share this comment

BLANKBLANK

Posted

How many of the rationalizers out there have actually written a line of code?

Now, now Nonny Moose. Where there's a will, there's a way. With an offline mode and Maxis showing budding modders the secrets of Glassbox, perhaps modders can fix the mess Maxis made.

I recall that SC4 was pretty messed up with a busted transport system, faulty RCI and a whole host of odd glitches. Eleven years later and modders have transformed the game. Now I get the feeling that Maxis is going to work with the modders for sometime to try and make Glassbox far more efficient. With efficiency there will come larger map sizes. So I think this is the moment where SC 2013 comes out of the gutter so to speak.

Oh yes, this may be a different article but it's the most promising news to date about an offline mode.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-offline-is-coming

Share this comment

MilitantRadical

Posted

SimCity players ask developpers to maintain integrity of the game. Ooops too late!

Share this comment