• Architechnid
    Architechnid

SimCity (2013) Beta confirmed for Jan 25-28th

That's right, this will be one of the shortest betas ever, running from January 25 to January 28, but it will give you a chance to try the game before just about anyone else and being first is what's most important in life, right?

You'll want to make your way to the beta sign up page on the official site. Make sure you're registered with EA and have Origin standing by.

To be exact, the beta runs from 17:00 GMT on Friday, January 25 until 08:00 GMT on Monday, January 28. So that's a weekend that many of us can write off immediately.

User Feedback

I'm not going to be negative about this game here as there are a few people on simtropolis who are looking forward to it, and I have become aware a lot of negative comments are perhaps upsetting some people... So despite my concerns about it personally, I hope for everyone that is interested in this game it comes out well after the beta test. It will be interesting to get some feedback on the depth of the glassbox engine which is one of the positive things about this game.

Share this comment

A similar article on The Verge is saying that testers will only be given a 1 hour slot to play the game. I really hope that's not true, because that just sounds like a PR excersize. Not an actual beta test.

Share this comment

A similar article on The Verge is saying that testers will only be given a 1 hour slot to play the game. I really hope that's not true, because that just sounds like a PR excersize. Not an actual beta test.

Of course it's just a PR excersize.

Share this comment

Well, while it wouldn't necessarily be closed with an NDA, it is far to close to release to be serious a bug catching beta. From what else I've read, it will be one hour, but that hour can be looped as many times as you'd like for the three day period, and it's primary goal for the dev. team is to test the networking aspects, which is harder to do without community involvment.

Share this comment

New beta video 99.9% likely to be "viral marketing" from maxis given thats its been on youtbue for about 10 hours, discussed on the official forums at length and posted on a subreddit maxis people read. Video also has a disclaimer and link to pre-order

IE it would be down by now if maxis people did not want it posted.So there is no reason we shouldn't be able to discuss it on this site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qw9cSI-7M

Share this comment

Ohhh sorry EA... I have too many events that weekend... maybe I'll get around to playing your game in 2023 when a proper city simulation comes out. By then everything in world will run via the world wireless internet 24/7 and there will be no issues in that department. Also maybe by then actual cities will be 2k x 2k squares with a half mile of nothing in between them. Maybe you are all just predicting the realism of the future.

And for real... this is all shameless promotion to deflect from everything this game is missing. They will give this beta to a few people who will say only positive things about the game, say it was the ~obvious~ evolution of sim city, and then go on about how it will be fun for years and that they see how it will please everyone. Sorry EA, but you can fool a lot of people, but you can't fool the hardcore fans who wanted an actual city simulator... not an upscaled sim city societies.

Bad timing too.. cause now there are about 3 or 4 other companies making legit city simulators that include realism and seem to be listening to the fans. And they have a fraction of the money you all do to produce games and they seem to do it well.

Share this comment

That video was posted on the forum earlier but I can't see that thread now. Anyways, I can't help thinking it all looks like SimCity Societies meets the good old Transport Tycoon Deluxe :-)

Share this comment

cheesy.gif He is still on the network ... prohibit nowadays is pushing for success in the search by all.

thumbsdown.gif Attitude $%&^! .... only demonstrates the anachronistic sense that EA tries to push for the old games to justify adherence to their slots

sad-smiley-056.gif Everything boils down to get the largest possible number of subscribers.

bomb.gif This will work for a while logically (hundreds of millions of gamers are on the network and tens of millions of unwary will continue dropping in this traps ) the question is how long this will work.

worried.gif Its shareholders are still very mistrustful ...

Share this comment

I want Ben "Yatzee" Croshaw to burn it to the floor after release tbh in a Zero Punctuation :P

I was going to rant a bit but cba -_-

Share this comment

Question: Why would a publisher's interest as much as possible to conceal the content of their product just before the release?

- option number one: Strategy to create a huge suspense and curiosity to attract the maximum possible of buyers for its service. (Yes EA sells services, not products ... case you have not noticed)

- opção number two: Strategy to avoid as much as possible the impact of negative feedback (Which has already happened in droves) for that possible unwary buyers of new their service can not be aware of it!

In the case of E.A., I think both

Share this comment

Bad timing too.. cause now there are about 3 or 4 other companies making legit city simulators that include realism and seem to be listening to the fans. And they have a fraction of the money you all do to produce games and they seem to do it well.

Oh?? Where? gimme names plz!!

Share this comment

rctshack, on , said:

Oh?? Where? gimme names plz!!

I second this demand. Just because you say it online doesn't make it true.

Share this comment