• Moose
  • "Banished" a new city-building strategy game released today

Dirktator

Banished, a city-building strategy game by Shining Rock Software is released today.

What is Banished?

Welcome to the world of Banished! In this city-building strategy game, you control a group of exiled travelers who decide to restart their lives in a new land. They have only the clothes on their backs and a cart filled with supplies from their homeland.

The objective of the game is to keep the population alive and grow it into a successful culture. Options for feeding the people include hunting and gathering, agriculture, trade, and fishing. However, sustainable practices must be considered to survive in the long term.

Gameplay

The townspeople of Banished are your primary resource. They are born, grow older, work, have children of their own, and eventually die. Keeping them healthy, happy, and well-fed are essential to making your town grow. Building new homes is not enough—there must be enough people to move in and have families of their own.

Banished has no skill trees. Any structure can be built at any time, provided that your people have collected the resources to do so. There is no money. Instead, your hard-earned resources can be bartered away with the arrival of trade vessels. These merchants are the key to adding livestock and annual crops to the townspeople’s diet; however, their lengthy trade route comes with the risk of bringing illnesses from abroad.

There are twenty different occupations that the people in the city can perform from farming, hunting, and blacksmithing, to mining, teaching, and healing. No single strategy will succeed for every town. Some resources may be more scarce from one map to the next. The player can choose to replant forests, mine for iron, and quarry for rock, but all these choices require setting aside space into which you cannot expand.

The success or failure of a town depends on the appropriate management of risks and resources.

Survival

Surviving the winters will be among your greatest challenges. Your tailors can make clothing, your people can build houses and burn firewood. But necessities have a price—Cutting down forests reduces the deer population you can hunt. Although your foresters can plant new trees, the cures for many diseases can only be found in forests that have existed for decades.

Farming for many seasons in one place will ruin the soil. Taking fish and game faster than they reproduce will lead to extinction, and your starvation.

Wandering nomads can join your town to grow the population quickly, but allowing them in increases the chance of illnesses from far off lands!

Visit Source

User Feedback

Mr_Maison

Posted

Got my copy today. Can't wait to see what modders do to this game. All the best wishes to Luke, the sole creator of Banished.

Share this comment

demerson

Posted

Been playing all day. Addicting but very frustrating!

Share this comment

Crazyforsimcity

Posted

I really want to get this, and I would love to see how the Simtropolis community can do with it! :D

Share this comment

Wustmann

Posted

I've been playing this for a couple of hours now and am really enjoying it. It can challenge you from time to time (especially during those winter months) but will keep your attention. Props to Luke and to all the time and effort he put into this game. Overall, I would definitely recommend this game!

Share this comment

Superbacon

Posted

Installed it around noon yesterday and  suddenly 13 hours went by like nothing. 

I'm enjoying it as much as I expected to. Which is a good thing. 

This game is quite fun but can be frustrating at times hahaha. On my third attempt at making a town I got my adult population up to 120-something, then I accepted some nomads and it bumped up to 140-something. Then the hunger games began and a famine dropped my population down 65%. Came back stronger though haha. Needless to say the graveyard ran out of space that time.

Share this comment

Linoa06

Posted

Oooooooooooo that will be a lovely game, makes me think of the Mayflower and all those old US colonies, except it's a single town..cool

Share this comment

lew1984

Posted

What a cute looking game :-). Will have to check it out some time but don't have money right now lol.

Share this comment

Mr_Maison

Posted

Been playing my first village. This game is epic. Very deep simulation. Not for the impatient.

Share this comment

SimRico

Posted

lol , I THINK i just left a message on a duplicate discussion. Can these be merged?

SCREEEEN shots Mr_maison?

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

Purchased and installed in my wine prefix, but an error causes an immediate crash.  Investigating what I need to add to my prefix to get this to run.

Anybody got any ideas about this:

Unhandled exception: unimplemented function dxgi.dll.CreateDXGIFactory1

I have a feeling that this is something that came in with Vista that I've never needed before.  Yet another MS lock-in.  It doesn't appear in DX11.

I've asked the wine forum about this.  No soap on google search relevant to running off a Windows platform.

Share this comment

Mr_Maison

Posted

Purchased and installed in my wine prefix, but an error causes an immediate crash.  Investigating what I need to add to my prefix to get this to run.

I have a feeling that this is something that came in with Vista that I've never needed before.  Yet another MS lock-in.  It doesn't appear in DX11.

I've asked the wine forum about this.  No soap on google search relevant to running off a Windows platform.

There is a known issue section in the official forums. I think you have to get it to run in DX9 mode. http://shiningrocksoftware.com/forum/discussion/170/if-your-game-is-crashing-on-startup-

Share this comment

Superbacon

Posted

It runs fine for a majority of people. I haven't had a single issue. Only thing I can think of is the fellow who made it wasn't able to test it on the OS you're running (can't remember if it's Lunix or Linux).

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

There is a known issue section in the official forums. I think you have to get it to run in DX9 mode. http://shiningrockso...ing-on-startup-

Well, I did the regedit trick, but no soap.  wine.org has a fix posted but there is something wrong in the update ppa string, so I am waiting for the update to wine 7.1.13.

I have both DX9 and DX11 environments, by the way.  Windows software is such a curse.

Share this comment

Sandis_van_Great

Posted

There is a known issue section in the official forums. I think you have to get it to run in DX9 mode. http://shiningrockso...ing-on-startup-

Well, I did the regedit trick, but no soap.  wine.org has a fix posted but there is something wrong in the update ppa string, so I am waiting for the update to wine 7.1.13.

I have both DX9 and DX11 environments, by the way.  Windows software is such a curse.

Is this - http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/2014-02-19-the-morning-after/ for you? Hes the only one in development team so it can take some time for him to fix things.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

^ I'll keep it in mind.  I am waiting for a fix from wine.org.  There are more complications in running with the wine product (WINdows Executive) as they are always a little behind the trolls of Microshaft.

Share this comment

Shaunathan

Posted

I was going to tell you all about banished, but now that I came up for air you guys already know about it. Awesome! (goes back to playing banished waiting for mods.)

Share this comment

Architechnid

Posted

Played it, like it, every one who is in this community should give it a try. 

It is really difficult to get back in the game after you run out of food.

Share this comment

Jim14409

Posted

I bought Banished 64 bit yesterday and was surprised that the download was only around 100 MB which is good for me. Installed and booted up flawlessly in minutes. I was part way through the tutorial before I realized I had no sound so I performed the workaround but didn't work. When I would boot the game it kept putting the DX-11 file back in the folder even though I had deleted it and modified the registry. I downloaded and installed the DX Runtimes, directx_Jun2010 file, and all is well.

This game is excellent in my opinion, especially so when you consider it was done by one person. The attention to detailed graphics right down to menus and help files is something to be proud of. I truly hope the big companies who put out the slapped together bug laden over-priced, not what the customer wanted, stuff will be ashamed. Now we know there is a choice and I hope everyone will become very selective in where they spend their money. Hopefully many will support games and developers like this who care about quality, reputation, and their customers/players. Even though the developer of Banished is obviously not trying to get rich on one game...I hope he does!

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

Got the wine update to 1.7.13 and the game loads.

It is unplayable on my machine, probably due to the X-org driver for my graphics chip.  My chip is out of support, but the system is doing asbestos it can.

My system monitor shows a max of 3% CPU, but the graphics, which are essentially software, just are beyond slow.  FPS is somewhere below zero.

If I want to play this, I'll have to spring for a new graphics card.  What a shame, it looks like it would be exciting, but the current FPS and the wrecked response time makes this a consideration.

Anyone else running this on Linux?

Share this comment

Bazkur

Posted

Curious if there will be a mod section on Simtropolis once modding is released?  Anybody know?

Share this comment