• Moose
  • "Banished", a city-builder, to be Released Feb. 18th

Mr_Maison

I been watching this development for a while now. The game is finished and due to be released February 18th. I just thought this game release deserves some front page shine here as a new member of the city building genre made by one dedicated developer.

Looks very interesting.

Visit Source

User Feedback

CapTon

Posted

I don't know if this can be called a city-builder, because it seems like it's based in more medieval times, or something like that.

Share this comment

OcramsRzr

Posted

This certainly looks better than the what Medieval Mayor could have ever hoped to be (thought MM was canceled by TM so the point is moot).

Share this comment

Mr_Maison

Posted

CapTon...A city does not have to be made with glass, concrete and be surrounded by modern technology to be defined as a city. Think ancient cities.

There are possibilities with the growth of this game though. The developer is very active with his followers in his blogs. He also answers some questions from readers on reddit hinting a "possibility" of expansions in the future. http://www.reddit.com/r/Banished/comments/1t0l75/banished_ama/

Share this comment

CapTon

Posted

CapTon...A city does not have to be made with glass, concrete and be surrounded by modern technology to be defined as a city. Think ancient cities.

There are possibilities with the growth of this game though. The developer is very active with his followers in his blogs. He also answers some questions from readers on reddit hinting a "possibility" of expansions in the future. http://www.reddit.co...5/banished_ama/

Yes, I know :) I learned about the Romans and the Aztecs and the Greeks. But when I hear city-builder, I think of modern cities and whatnot.

Share this comment

SimWarrior

Posted

I'm sure it could be modded to suit more modern tastes.

Any competition to SimCity deserves a chance to impress.

Share this comment

BLANKBLANK

Posted

He (the developer) must be distantly related to Chris Sawyer! This is a one-man operation albeit for another person who composed the music; which is just like how the original Transport Tycoon was developed!

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

Interesting.  Getting out of the 20th century can't be all bad.

Share this comment

ghosty12

Posted

Yeah I loved Transport Tycoon was such an awesome game for its time..  And with OpenTTD floating around it is still being supported by the TTD community..

Share this comment

BLANKBLANK

Posted

I don't know if this can be called a city-builder, because it seems like it's based in more medieval times, or something like that.

Pharaoh, Caesar, Age of Empires and Banished are all of the same mould; city-builder. All have simulators and thus qualify for the designation of city-builder regardless of the time period they are set in.

Share this comment

NCGAIO

Posted

Well .... who played Pharaoh looks at the new SimCity with a very familiar sight.

Share this comment

Superbacon

Posted

I've been following the game's development for a year now and I'm excited to play it when it's out.

Share this comment

Mr_Maison

Posted

In his latest blog he discusses his intent to release a mod tool and porting to platforms other than windows as well as his experience at Valves developer conference.

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?p=2113

I like his transparency and honesty to his audience.

Share this comment

80sreject

Posted

I want to buy this game just simply on the merit of the man that made it. His love for the city building genre comes through.

Share this comment

KingGab

Posted

NAM 1.0 for Banished

release date April 2nd, 2014

Share this comment

arozarker12

Posted

Been waiting for this one and so ready to try it out.

Share this comment

Superbacon

Posted

Should be out at midnight hopefully. Insta-buy for me.

Share this comment

SimRico

Posted

Anyone have a copy and like to share your thoughts? SCREENSHOT?

Share this comment