• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

Quigley’s dismay at SimCity’s 'blundered launch' and why he quit EA

Freddyeddy

Talking about why he quit EA, former SimCity creative director Ocean Quigley told Polygon he had been "dismayed" at the botched launch of SimCity, in which EA insisted gamers play always-online, while failing to provide enough server capacity.

The botched launch closed many players out of the game and led to severe criticism of EA's processes. But Quigley added that he has been thinking of setting up a new project for some time anyway.

"I was dismayed at the blundered launch of something that I had poured so much love and attention into, which made the leaving easier but it would have probably happened anyway," he said.

"Honestly I think I would have left regardless of whether EA's launch of SimCity was smooth or rough. It was basically my third SimCity. I did SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 and this new SimCity."

Quigley announced on Twitter today that he, SimCity lead architect Andrew Willmott and lead gameplay engineer Dan Moskowitz are setting up a new developer called Jellygrade. They are working on an iPad simulation game that seeks to recreate the early formation of the Earth.

Full article: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/16/4529260/quigleys-dismay-at-simcitys-blundered-launch-and-why-he-quit-ea

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

Cottoncandy Cyanide

Posted

Great choice to make and good luck on his new project! I'll be looking forward to it. ( Even though I have no iPad ;_; )

Share this comment

jlt122

Posted

Looks like they'll be making a new "Sim Earth"?

Share this comment

Cpt Johnny

Posted

Hooray! A new game for terraforming and natural hazards!

Share this comment

Traveller

Posted

Maybe I am reading him wrong, but he seems all upset that EA botched the launch and other technical snafus.

Share this comment

jigsaw

Posted

he had a big role to play in the making of SC13 whether we love his work or not. he was one of the people that served up the game in it's shape and form... pity it's not Bradshaw leaving.

Share this comment

Hellken

Posted

Good luck to them!

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

There's an old Polish joke that if the Soviets had a five-year plan on the Gobi desert that there would soon be a shortage of sand.

Ocean, look what you've done for us lately.

Share this comment

Hellken

Posted

There's an old Polish joke that if the Soviets had a five-year plan on the Gobi desert that there would soon be a shortage of sand.

Ocean, look what you've done for us lately.

I will not be surprised if more people will choose to defect. The ship is sinking.

Share this comment

JoshuaGellock

Posted

Bingo!  Even if the launch gone better, SimCity 2013 wasn't the game anyone wanted.

I think SC2013 might not be the game lots of people expected, but it's a game some wanted. I think it's fun. :)

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

It is possible that the "old guard" will bail out.  However, we really don't know anything about the culture inside EA.  Maxis Studio is a direct subsidiary, so you can be sure that what EA wants, EA gets.

Maybe the people who left felt it was time to spread their wings in a new venture because they had just had a severe growing up experience, or maybe they just felt it was time to move on.

In any case, I think that concentrating on IOS exclusively is a mistake, and they should think portability.  With packages like make and git this is not terribly hard to do.  If they are only interested in the portable phone market, there is only really one other (Android) unless they want to see if Blackberry will talk to them.

Blackberry might be interested in some real simulations rather than games.  I can think of some applications off the top of my head, like an advanced traffic simulator for urban planners.

Anyone who programs should take a look at the source set up for wine.  It can compile for multiple platforms and produce cross-platform code.  The dead giveaway is the make file, which is also self-generating.  Of course this is somewhat dependent on the very much portable GCC compiler system.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

SC2013 sounds like it might be fun to play for a couple of months.  Even with the flawed use of agents, most players who are new to the genre won't notice.  My main objection is the always online and the very high price for something that doesn't have much capabiltiy.

From the sales response, of which old SC players constitute a very small fraction, I think the game will eventually be a pot boiler for EA.

The departure of the development team is just a phase in the team's growth.  If they need to get "out from under" and be their own boss for a while, they are entitled to try.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

It was too bad about the launch because it started pretty much the same as SC4 did, with a huge patch issued almost before the disks were cold.  What EA did not realize is that with all the sales they had, there was no chintzing on the servers.  If they had had the resources in place, naive users would have been deleriously happy. 

I am almost tempted to suggest that they had no idea what was going to happen and that the bean counters in EA pulled too hard on the purse strings.  This suggests some management errors or lack of foresight, as well as not having a good grip on their financial status.  It is a good lesson for a company that is trying to feel its way into a new phase of the games market.  If it doesn't kill them, it will make them stronger.

Meanwhile, on the Jelly guys, I hope they have more programming and management backbone than a jellyfish.

Share this comment

CaptCity

Posted

Let's keep this on topic. This isn't the place to "debate" people's opinions of the SC13. The same rules apply here as in other areas of the site. Those with views of SC13 that are different than others are just as legitimate.

Share this comment

eburress

Posted

Well on a possibly more related note, to debate Ocean's statements, it wasn't just the launch that was "botched."

Share this comment

SImman123231

Posted

lets hope that EA doesn't swallow this company up...

Share this comment

crisul10

Posted

Please, please make a city/world simulation that combines offline capabilities (and curved roads lol) of cities xl and the mod-friendliness of sim city 4. And make it a PC one. :)

Share this comment

michal27278

Posted

I do not expect anything positive.

Share this comment

Dijego

Posted

I guess they're looking for new audiences, even though it sounds fun, I am not eager to buy a tablet for gaming. I'm still too attached to the I guess oldskool mouse & keyboard setup.

I guess the new youngsters will quickly adapt though. ^^

Let's see what they can do.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

The new outfit is in no way related to EA (I hope) other than by training(?) some of its staff.

The group is obviously seeking new ground, and I wish them well.  I hope they are able to attact some younger people and will listen to them.  In my experience, programmers do their best work before the age of 30.

Share this comment