• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

PcMag.com: SimCity Players Overload Origin Servers

dudkis

SimCity Players Overload Origin Servers

SimCity returned today after a 10-year hiatus, and gamers were eager to dig in, prompting delays on Electronic Arts's Origin platform.

Some users who tried to download SimCity via Origin today encountered a "Not yet released" message. Earlier today, an EA rep said on the company's forum that there are two possible reasons for the delays: the game is actually not yet released in your country; or your credit card payment failed or was unable to be charged.

"We have also identified a very small number of North American players for which neither case applies and are investigating directly with Origin to resolve. We will continue to post updates in this thread as more information becomes available," EA said earlier today.

At this point, SimCity is - in theory - available via Origin in North America, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Singapore, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Russia. It will go live in Europe (except the U.K. and Ireland), Australia, and Japan on March 7 and New Zealand, South Africa, India, the U.K., Ireland, and Portugal on March 8.

EA suggested that those who might be having credit card issues contact customer service, but many of those on the forums complained about extremely long wait times. One player did manage to connect with support staff, though, and had this to say:

"Got into a support chat. The gist is that there is an issue and they are working on it. There is no ETA. It is not an issue with my account specifically," drdoak wrote. "Being from an IT background, this happens sometimes. It is always frustrating for users, but sometimes you really don't know what the ETA is until you're almost done fixing the issue."

Read the rest at the source.

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

Haljackey

Posted

It's off to a rough start, that's for sure.

Let's hope these bugs/issues are sorted over the next little bit.

Share this comment

lucidus

Posted

So the launch went about as well as expected then.

Share this comment

Hirdy05

Posted

EA and Origin certainly dont learn. Did they expect everyone to patiently wait to download it and load it up,

Surely someone there says "well we've sold over X amount of copies we can expect a fair load, we should have something ready"

Share this comment

cirugo

Posted

yeah there won't be any issues with a game that requires a server to play...online-only is no problem right?

seriously...anyone who didn't see this coming needs their head examined.

Share this comment

Hellken

Posted

yeah there won't be any issues with a game that requires a server to play...online-only is no problem right?

I had a bad feeling this would happen. Well, it was expected but I never imagined it would happen on this scale.

Dear EA,

I am not trying to be rude here (and I really hate to make things worse) but the sad truth is this: 

told-you-so-meter1.jpg

Share this comment

Moriadne

Posted

I had a bad feeling this would happen. Well, it was expected but I never imagined it would happen on this scale.

Dear EA,

I am not trying to be rude here (and I really hate to make things worse) but the sad truth is this: 

told-you-so-meter1.jpg

Hey Hellken, I think your meter's broken.

Shouldn't that dial be on the infrared by now?

Share this comment

Gurning_Chimp

Posted

This is EA's problem they never listen!

This is Diablo III all over again.

Sim City, it was nice knowing ye.

Share this comment

dscampbell

Posted

Everything that was said about this news has been said by the aboce, and had been said in the past. Had the game been offline this would not be a problem. It just proves that ppl who payed monney for this game and are under the impression they bought something, have been wrong all along. You rent, and landlord EA will dictate wether you can use their product that you payed for.

Share this comment

Nique

Posted

When you write something good, you don't need to hype it. It's the other way around. Was minecraft hyped? Nope. When people have fun playing a game, they will tell family and friends. The best advertising for a game is .. the game itself.

Says enough about Simcity 2013: Overhyped: trash.

Share this comment

lew1984

Posted

Its like watching a train wreck unveil in slow motion and there is nothing you can do to stop it despite warnings for who knows how long this would happen lol. 

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

There seems to be some nonsense about SimCity is back?  I don't believe it ever left.  EA is still collecting royalties on earlier versions.

Now they have a problem with the boat sinking as the dry dock fills.  Nobody is surprised, and especially not A Nonny Moose.

Share this comment

cosmo7800

Posted

Very accurate post Nique

Share this comment

Jim14409

Posted

PcMag headline:

"SimCity Players Overload Origin Servers"      

I think a more appropriate headline with less spin would have been better. Maybe it should have read:

"EA Unprepared for SimCity Players - Servers Fail"

Share this comment

Dargor

Posted

Exactly. In some news stories it said exaggeratingly SimCity's launch was such an extreme succes, to such an extend, that hundreds of thousands of eager players overloaded the servers. Yeah, right. We're too blame. We shouldn't be so enthousiastic! 

I am so glad I didn't buy the game. It's all so predictable as well it's almost funny. It's pure theft. You pay, say $50 for a game, only to find out it doesn't work. You buy frustration. They're opening new servers, but that's only part of the problem.

Share this comment