• Moose
  • nam Network Addon Mod: Version 33 released for SC4

Tarkus

The NAM Team is pleased to announce the official release of the 33rd edition of the Network Addon Mod, NAM 33, for EA Maxis' 2003 title SimCity 4.

NAM 33 is the result of nearly two years of development, further refining a project that has been continuously going for over 11 years, and adds a considerable number of new features, including the long-awaited revamp of the FLEXFly flyover ramp system.

Brief Overview of New Features

Changes in the NAM 33 Pre-Release:

• Massive update to the Draggable Ramp Interface (DRI) and FLEXRamp systems in the RealHighway (RHW) Mod.  90% of all previous static puzzle piece ramps have been given easier-to-use FLEX and/or draggable counterparts, and a plethora of new ramp interfaces for elevated RHW networks are now available, Wealth textures are included for ground level versions.

• The RHW FLEXFly system has been completely overhauled, and now includes 90-degree and 45-degree versions, in single and dual-lane configurations, at Ground Level (L0), 7.5m (L1), and 15m (L2) heights.

• The double-decker RHW-4 (DDRHW-4) has been lowered one level (from L2/L3 to L1/L2), increasing ease of use.

• Disconnector added, to simplify demolition of FLEX-based RHW pieces.

• Multi-Radius Curves (MRCs), in both draggable and FLEX form, have been added to the RealHighway Mod, in three different radii, for the RHW-2, MIS, RHW-4, and RHW-6S.

• Stability improvements to the FLEX Height Transitions.

• Major improvements to the RealRailway (RRW) plugin, which now supports most crossings.

• Transit station functionality and compatibility has been further improved.

• Minor fixes to other NAM components.

Further changes in the NAM 33 official release:

• The RealRailway (RRW) FlexTrack system makes an earlier-than-expected debut.  See the FlexTrack User's Guide in the Documentation folder for more details.

• PedMall functionality greatly enhanced with the addition of access paths to most non-Highway-type road networks, including NWM networks and Tram/El-Rail Dual-Networking items.  Pedestrians may now directly access the PedMalls from these other networks without the need of a station or other transit-enabled lot/switch.

• Many custom bridges that previously blocked all ferry traffic have now been corrected.

• MandelSoft's previous RHW texture sets, including Euro, Ontario, and Irish/South African textures, have been discontinued.  A new standard Euro RHW set, based on the default US set, has been added as a replacement, and adds compatibility for all current RHW features.

• An issue with the NAM 33 Pre-Release in which the Controller Compiler would fail due to an XML read error has been fixed.

• Several overhanging texture issues with the new RHW ramp interfaces have been corrected.

• The R3 FLEX-Multi Radius Curve now rotates fully as intended.

• A number of Left-Hand Drive transit path file issues across the entire mod have been added or corrected for proper functionality.

For more information on the NAM 33 release, see the official announcement thread, or the STEX download page.

NAM 33 is also available to download from:

ModDB
    LEX

Visit Source

User Feedback

Cyclone Boom

Posted

Wow, what a neat surprise! :thumb:

A NAM release is always a special event for the community. Each and every time, this revolutionary mod drives and pushes the game's limits. Thanks to all involved who make this possible. Your commitment continues to breathe new life into SimCity 4, and hopefully for many more years to come! :)

-CB

To celebrate the release, Simtropolis will be hosting a special NAM themed image challenge...

Stay tuned!

Share this comment

evivas

Posted

Im glad this project goes on, congrats to all of the team and the community for taking on a game like Simcity! I hope this go on as well as it have been, and thanks for that specially to the NAM Team!

Share this comment

Kiiroitori

Posted

Wow, its amazing how the NAM is still living and breathing, keeping Simcity 4 young and bright. A special big thank you to the great NAM team, as the community can never repay your debt. Your work can never be appreciated enough, for everything you have brought Simcity 4. Live long and prosper NAM ^ __^ and thank you once again NAM team!

Share this comment

T Wrecks

Posted

Wow, a new NAM! The changes sound great, and although I know the focus is recently on RHW (which I haven't even tried yet) and RRW (about which I'm very excited), I am also very enthusiastic about the less spectacular news such as the connection points for PedMalls that make additional transit stations obsolete and allow for better flexibility!

Just like in real life, the first invention is the initial breakthrough and makes the headlines, but it often takes many steps of improvement and refinement until something becomes really perfect. PedMalls have taken a big step forward with this refinement IMO.

Kudos to the entire team - thanks for your ongoing dedication, and for keeping such a mammoth project together! You can all be proud of yourselves. :)

Share this comment

slickbg56

Posted

Thank you NAM team!!! You've played a big role in making this game what it is today. I can't wait to try out the new features! Happy building everyone!

Share this comment

Cane

Posted

Is there any info on when the Mac version will be avialable?

Share this comment

Tarkus

Posted

Thanks for your support, everyone!  And T Wrecks, glad to hear you're enjoying the PedMall functionality--I think this will be the start of quite a bit more development on that feature, which hasn't really gotten much since the PedMalls were first introduced over 10 years ago.

Cane, to answer your question, unfortunately, the Mac version is delayed indefinitely.  It's largely Apple's fault for what they did with El Capitan.  The Security Integrity Protection or "rootless" feature blocks WIneskin wrappers (like the existing NAM 32.1 Mac Installer) from even running.  We're also missing our lone Mac developer, who hasn't been active for a few months now.

Share this comment

_Michael

Posted

Just installed NAM 33. Been playing around with the FlexFlys and also took the opportunity to install the RRW. Loving it so far! One question, is there a printed guide for all of the drag-able RHW ramps, much like there is for the FlexTrack? Keep up the great work! :)

Share this comment

Tarkus

Posted

woodb3kmaster made a diagram of all the draggable RHW ramp patterns.

Share this comment

_Michael

Posted

Thank you so much!! This helps hugely. :) 

Share this comment

IRE505

Posted (edited)

Sounds great! Thanks for this great mod, I've recently been getting used to The RHW, as I didn't really use it much before. I can really apreciate the effort and work that goes into this, it's amazing. Pity about those SA/Irish textures tho, I really loved them :P

Edit: about those textures, I used the Irish ones in the past, if I update will my motorways that I built before change to the euro ones or will they stay as they are?

Edited by IRE505

Share this comment

blaqsk8

Posted

I have been using the Pre Release for some time now and I'm looking forward to an even more stable RRW network. ROCK on NAM Team!!

Share this comment

FOSC tule00

Posted

Why are MandelSoft's textures discontinued? I really lked the Irish/South African one

Share this comment

Tarkus

Posted (edited)

Why are MandelSoft's textures discontinued? I really lked the Irish/South African one

MandelSoft's RHW textures were discontinued (at least for the time being) because he retired from SC4 modding, and there were a ton of new RHW features that were not covered by those sets.  His sets had completely different geometry from the defaults (based on the earlier RHW 4.0 specs) and require a different process to create.  The development team is much smaller than it has been in years past, with the core developers having enough on their plate without having to take on a lot of texturing work, using unfamiliar methods.  MandelSoft tried to find someone to take over his work, and made the source files available, but no one else stepped up. 

If that ever does happen, then we'd consider bringing them back, but we're going to continue supporting the new procedurally-generated Euro textures introduced in NAM 33 to ensure there's at least something for non-US users around.  I've looked into adding an Irish/South African procedural set like the new Euro textures, but it's a lot more difficult to do so with how the yellow lines are situated.  It's likely going to entail a fair bit of manual work, whereas going from US textures to Euro textures was a straightforward enough process that I was able to script most of it in Photoshop.

Edited by Tarkus

Share this comment

Takingyouthere

Posted

Any word about how far along the FlexTrack for the RRW plugin is. Might it be ready sometime before the next full release or will it be part of 34?

Share this comment

Tarkus

Posted

Any word about how far along the FlexTrack for the RRW plugin is. Might it be ready sometime before the next full release or will it be part of 34?

It's already in 33.:golly:  With some of the other crazy things we were having to deal with to get from the pre-release to the official release, eggman121 had enough time to finish it.

Share this comment

Takingyouthere

Posted

It's already in 33.:golly:  With some of the other crazy things we were having to deal with to get from the pre-release to the official release, eggman121 had enough time to finish it.

That's weird it doesn't seem to be showing up for me after installing 33. What sub folder is it in and where would it be in the installer using the custom setup option?

Share this comment

Tarkus

Posted (edited)

If you're looking for a menu item, there isn't one, as it's all draggable.  There's no option for it in the installer--it's automatically installed as part of the RealRailway option.

Edited by Tarkus

Share this comment

Takingyouthere

Posted

If you're looking for a menu item, there isn't one, as it's all draggable.  There's no option for it in the installer--it's automatically installed as part of the RealRailway option.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant the features demonstrated by Eggman seen in here; http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/13543-show-us-your-railroads/?page=30
    I haven't been able to make use of them and I'm not seeing puzzle pieces like those in 33.

Share this comment