• Moose
  • NAM Version 35 Released

_Michael

From SimCity4Devotion:

"And to clear up these swirling rumors, they just so happen to be true.  Yes, this means that NAM 35 has been released on the SC4D LEX, coinciding with the site's 10th anniversary celebration.  Here's the feature list for NAM 35.

• New RealRailway (RRW) FlexTrack functionality, including draggable Fractional Angle Railroads (FARR) at three angles (FA-2, FA-3, and FA-1.33/1.5) and improved Single-Track Rail (STR) support.
    • Vastly improved adjacency stability for ramp-style RealHighway (RHW) FLEX Height Transitions, including many adjacencies with FLEXRamps and Draggable Ramp Interfaces (DRIs).
    • Several new draggable NWM transitions: NRD-4-to-ARD-3, NRD-4-to-Avenue, NRD-4-to-TLA-5, NRD-4-to-RD-4, Road-to-RD-4, TLA-3-to-Avenue, TLA-3-to-TLA-5, AVE-2-to-TLA-5, AVE-2-to-Avenue, TLA-7/AVE-6-to-Dual-OWR-3, OWR-4-to-RHW-8S, OWR-5-to-RHW-10S, and OWR-1-to-MIS. These transitions can either be built through the stub method, or (in case of different base networks), direct connection.
    • At-grade intersection support for the Road, OWR, and Avenue Viaducts, plus other stability and cosmetic improvements.
    • Multi-Radius Curve (MRC) functionality added to the L1 and L2 RHW-2.
    • A number of path fixes involving elevated RHW networks.
    • Support for at-grade RHW-4 x Avenue, RHW-3 x Avenue and MIS x Street intersections (OxO only), as well as improvements and additions to RHW-2 and MIS diagonal intersections with Maxis surface networks.
    • Proper P57-era RHW support for Moonlinght's Alternate El-Rail and Bullet Train (Shinkansen) mods.
    • Various fixes to the Maxis Highway Override (MHO), including improved RealRailway (RRW) support, support for moonlinght's Alternate El-Rail and Bullet Train, and Level Bridges for both L0 and L2 MHO networks.
    • Re-implementation of some multi-tile RHW and NWM starter pieces, to improve stability in preparation for future additions. Legacy code has been added to provide stability to older, unconverted starters.

A few other notes regarding the release:

Platforms: At present, only the Windows release is available.  A Mac release will be coming later.

Installing over previous versions: NAM 35 should be installed directly over top of any previous NAM releases, to ensure that your previous installation options are retained.  A clean install is not recommended.  For more information, see here.

Tech Support: Since NAM 35 is now the most recent release, technical support for NAM 34 and earlier is no longer available.

Special Thanks: The NAM Team would like to extend its sincere thanks to all the members of the community for their continued support over the past 12 1/2 years the mod has existed, and to SC4 Devotion, which has graciously supported the NAM Team in its 10 years of operation as of this month.

The new release can be acquired at the link below:

NAM 35 (Windows) Download

What's Next: We are already at work on new features for NAM 36 and beyond, which we plan to showcase as part of this OSITM.  Stay tuned for more, and remember, we like to surprise people. ;)

-Tarkus and the NAM Team"

Visit Source

User Feedback

Tarkus

Posted

Hope you all enjoy it!  It'll be up on the STEX, too, once an FTP upload issue can be resolved.

-Tarkus

timmie and Cyclone Boom like this

Share this comment

kschmidt

Posted

Nice to have the new RRW Far flex track option; would be lovely if this also applyies to avenue and highway bridges at angle, somekind of dragble elevated highway ? You say, we only support the latest NAM version, fine with me but I´d like have the choice to choose my own NAM I like, isn´t there a way to keep old version from 31 to present available for download ? Missed out on NAM33 maybe send a link so I can download it !  Time me flow but I don´t like to jump everytime, follow every version succesfully 1

Sincerely yours,

kschmidt

Share this comment

MeMyself&I

Posted

Definitely a surprise!  Thank you for this and for everything else you all have done!

Share this comment

Tarkus

Posted

@kschmidt: Draggable Fractional Angles have been experimented with for some of the other networks over the years, but we've never found a satisfactory implementation for the dual-tile networks like Avenues.  I would guess that FLEX pieces would be more likely if/when were were to implement that functionality.

As far as the old versions go, they have fewer features, and the newer versions have fixed problems with them, so there's really no reason to use them.  Our primary focus is always the development of a new version.  All that having old versions around would do is confuse people and create completely avoidable technical support issues, which would take time away from development.

Edit: Also, since the FTP upload is down, we have temporarily re-routed the Download button on the STEX upload over to the registration-free mirror at ModDB that Cyclone Boom referenced.  Apologies again for any temporary inconvenience--we hope to have the direct download restored soon.

-Tarkus

CT14, kschmidt, matias93 and 3 others like this

Share this comment

rsc204

Posted

21 hours ago, kschmidt said:

fine with me but I´d like have the choice to choose my own NAM I like, isn´t there a way to keep old version from 31 to present available for download ? Missed out on NAM33 maybe send a link so I can download it !  Time me flow but I don´t like to jump everytime, follow every version succesfully 1

The thing is, I too am an upgrade-a-phobe. I still run Windows 7, Office 2003 and many old versions of software because I don't like change.

But the reasons why you might not upgrade applications, simply do not apply to the NAM. We don't remove old features you may have loved. You won't find yourself needing a new PC to run the latest version of the NAM with the same components. There really aren't any drawbacks to upgrading, only a better experience for all users.

That's why we won't keep old versions of the NAM online, nor support them. Because we don't want to spend time dealing with bugs that may have been fixed. Or getting stumped by the behaviour a user experiences, because the latest version simply doesn't allow us to replicate a problem.

NAM 31 being the last version without a custom compiler makes it vastly less efficient than all the versions thereafter. Not to mention, I started using NAM around v30/31. Back then GLR was less stable. RHW was so much harder to use, with vastly less features. Support for LHD users was much worse than it is now. In fact I can't think of a single negative to using NAM 35 over 31. But I could go on all day about the positives.

Ultimately, we can't force users to upgrade (we're not Microsoft or Apple :P), but we're not going to help people to use older versions either.

kschmidt, Tarkus, APSMS and 3 others like this

Share this comment

Mikeaut1

Posted

Very exciting to see that this project is still active! 

Share this comment

sonofsim

Posted

I don't use RRW but how do I get the default maxis highway Adifferent color ive seen it with black ashphalt look

Share this comment

Samerton

Posted

31 minutes ago, sonofsim said:

I don't use RRW but how do I get the default maxis highway Adifferent color ive seen it with black ashphalt look

If you run the NAM installer (even if you've already installed it, you can re-run the installer) and select "Custom Installation", there is a section near the bottom named "Road Textures and Markings". In there, you can find the "Asphalt Textures for Maxis Highways" option, which I believe is what you're looking for. There's an image to demonstrate here. Hope that helps :) 

sonofsim and CT14 like this

Share this comment

kenbp

Posted

Hi everyone. i need your help. i just recently downloaded SC4 from the appstore. however, i'm having trouble with the installation of NAM. i used the unarchiver app for the .7z file. i ended up with a wineskin file after extraction. when i try to run the app, it doesn't continue. i always end up with a notification saying that it cannot write to info.plist file as there are certain permissions that need to be done. it says something about read-only dmg file. i'm not tech savvy. i just want to install nam. can anyone please help me. or is there another way to install. thank you. 

Share this comment

Jacob_G2013

Posted

I hate that I can no longer plop ped mall tiles on a building and personalizes the building to my city needs. Are there any fixes to this problem beside lot editor. Because before for I could use pad mall to override the building and delate certain pieces such as how the parking lot was placed.

Share this comment

blunder

Posted

Geeeeeez I haven't even had time to really play with nam 34 yet.  Where does the time go?

Good work, guys.  :thumb:

Share this comment

Eksiag N.R.

Posted

Thanks...

Good enough for my christmas theme city.

Share this comment

aichixiaotudou

Posted

that is pretty cool,thanks a lot  for what you have done!

matias93 likes this

Share this comment

fritzfarlig

Posted

NAM a great job that really change sim city but very difficult to use 

Share this comment

KevP

Posted

May I ask if NAM 35 includes other NAM Version features or do I need to download them? Thanks!

Share this comment

_Michael

Posted

@KevPThe NAM download contains all elements of the Network Addon Mod. You can chose what parts you want to install in "Custom Install". :) 

Share this comment