• Dirktator
    Dirktator

It's official. SimCity 5 is coming back to Maxis. Watch it Live Now!

SimCity announcement is live now. IGN is streaming the EA Game Changers presentation at GDC 2012. Hop on the link to watch it. Join us in the chat as we discuss the presentation as it happens.

Lucy Bradshaw, Senior Vice President of Maxis, has confirmed, in the beginning of EA's Game Changers conference, that a SimCity sequel will be happening.

Bradshaw's opening monologue referenced the beginnings of SimCity in the 1980's, and how Maxis' games allow you to create your own world and manipulate your own environment, and how special it is to be able to do so, also jokingly confirming the appearance of "curvy roads."

"But this is also the first SimCity where your city sits side-by-side with your friends'," also confirming multiplayer regional play with great impact. For example, pollution in your city will affect other cities in the region.

SimCity, the confirmed title, will be released to PCs in 2013. A developer blog can be found here.

Origin store has two versions, Digital Deluxe for $79, and Limited Edition for $59.

http://store.origin....er2_PreOrderNow

Announcement Trailer with some developer commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70evBJE93s#!

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

This is beyond awesome. It really seems like Maxis was unleashed to create this game. Thanks to EA's obsession with social stuff, I'm sure there will be multiplayer, but I don't think it will be a big deal

So stoked!

Share this comment

Umm... Not sold on the multiplayer. ALSO, notice they called it "SimCity" and not "Sim City 5"( This is not Sim City 5, they started over?) I'm getting the feeling this is not what many of us wanted. It looks still too cartoonish. But look like it will okay but it will be INFERIOR to Sim City 4 + plugins.

Share this comment

watched the annoncement live. loved it(nearly died i was so happy) i was also really impressed by the release. from how they described it, it really looks like their dedicated to this and are FINALLY listening to the community (& the fact that maxis is making it is a good sign)! can't wait for more info on this!

Share this comment

I find it funny that if you had asked pretty much anybody from the community if they believed a new SimCity would ever come, they would say no. But now, amazingly, we have an official, new SimCity to be released in 2013. From what I've seen and read so far, the game looks pretty good. All of the pictures are concept art, which will most likely (and hopefully) look not as good as the actual graphics, but still, I'm impressed. I don't really care about multiplayer. If EA wants multiplayer, so be it, as long as it doesn't interfere with singleplayer in any way. I'm really looking forward to other added features, such as customizing your own buildings. Overall, "SimCity" looks like a great game. I can't believe it, Maxis. You really came through for us. :thumb:

Now excuse me, as I scream like a giddy little girl and run around my house. WOOT! SC5, at last! :party:

Share this comment

No Zoning, Societal values (AGAIN???) and transportation? Yup, it's SimCity Societies 2 all right! 28.gif

(I have yet to scrutinise the development thread though)

Share this comment

This new game for Sim City I hate the look. I really hope EA is looking at these comments. We are the people playing the game after all and the ones buying it.

They need to scrap what they have started and start again because it sucks as it stands right now, Graphically any way and am sure in a bunch of other ways too.

Share this comment

"I am not amused." Queen Victoria

2013 is a long way off, and I wouldn't order a pig in a poke just yet. Slick videos do not impress me much if I make a more modern quote. I am taking a total wait and see attitude on this. I can think of no reason why this site should join in the hype.

By the way, the attached video did not open for me. I just pretended to be downloading and hung.

Share this comment

@ FlyHigh, they have already confirmed zoning. It's on their site. Do some research.

@ robin9000, They need to scrap what they've started? They haven't shown a single frame of the actual game, you have no idea how it stands right now. This goes the same for graphics. Neither you, nor any of us, have any clue what the graphics are like. Again, they haven't shown a single frame of it.

Speculation is fine, but making defining conclusions with literally no information (or in FlyHigh's case, no research) is completely ridiculous. Not to mention childish. If you do the research that a lot of us have, you pretty much come to the conclusion of "Show us some gameplay, until then, we really don't know."

Share this comment