Followers 0

First in-game SimCity 5 screenshots

Dirktator
    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

Sepen77

Posted

I actually like the graphics! They aren't the same type of cartoony that societies had. This style really does appear to be like miniature models (in reference to tilt-shift).

Share this comment

Bipin

Posted

I really like where this is going, although I do have a few concerns. First off, the road textures; the seem a bit jagged to me, which is especially noticeable on the curves. The other thing is the trees, which seem a bit "2D" to me, but I'm sure they'll be fixed or if not, can be modded like with the SC4 trees. The fional thing is the lots in the first pic, it seems sort of like CXL where there are odd little gaps in between square lots. Although this does appear to be fixed in other pics.

I'd like to finish off by saying what has been done so far is excellent. The amount of detail found on buildings, ground, and with those who inhabit these areas; the people and cars, is stunning.

Share this comment

Fluffyvito

Posted

This is definitely a very good start! I think the only thing that really needs to be done to make the lots seem less blank is the addition of clutter props (fences, shrubs, cars, signs, crates etc..) and maybe some spicing up of the lots textures. I also agree that I would like to see the road curves look a bit more smooth. Considering Maxis has at the very least and estimated 8 or 9 months till release date I can only imagine what the final screen shots will look like.

After reading the article I realized that a Steam release has been confirmed! :party:

Share this comment

warrior

Posted

It's looking nice, though the fire really needs some improvement. Everything is a bit too "glossy" for my taste, the buildings are too clean. And some buildings don't have enough props, like some buildings don't have pathways from the road to the doors. And I only say this list because I want this game to be the best it can. But overall given that the game is being released next year, this is infinitely better than the screenshots of SCS after release. And better than the CXL screenshots.

Although the one thing that completely annoys me is the "curved roads" I really really really really really can not bare the non smooth curves. If they can fix this before release then I'll buy the game 50x over but it's almost a deal breaker.

Share this comment

T Wrecks

Posted

I almost feel like I'm commenting totally different screenshots, but my impression is that these are totally overcoloured, cartoonish and cluttered. The third picture looks ok-ish (although entirely random and unrealistic), but I'd even go so far as to say that the first one looks outright terrible.

It might be because they wanted to show a variety of buildings, but the entire composition looks to me like anything but a city. Industry may be the worst here, with the footprint/height relation of industrial facilities being even more unrealistic than in SC4.

I seriously hope that this look is due to the bad concept of the screenshots and to the incompleteness of it all, because if the final game looked anything like this, I could scratch it from my list definitely right now and content myself with SC4 for another few comfortable years.

Sorry if this post offends anyone, but I can't help feeling underwhelmed. A lot.

Share this comment

mntoes

Posted

I have to agree with T Wrecks. I only hope the final version does not look like this. If so I would honestly prefer Cities XL. Still it's work in progress so we will have to wait and see if this thing gets to looks less like a cartoon.

Share this comment

Nevets13

Posted

They look ok, the third is by far the best. Has a nice college campus vibe. My only complaint about that one is it does look a little too clean.

Definitely a lot of promise in them, not as pretty as Cities XL, but as long as the gameplay is better, who cares?

Share this comment

logintime

Posted

They look ok, the third is by far the best. Has a nice college campus vibe.

I'm pretty sure the building in the upper-center of the third image is directly based on the Rotunda from University of Virginia. That's exactly what I thought when I saw it- this looks like my old college!

Share this comment

magnusjolnaes

Posted

Wauw, you people are hard to please.

Maxis got a whole six months left before release, and I'm pretty sure the graphic developers is not going on vacation from now on until then. This could definitely be better. But it could be much much worse.

Were you guys expecting photo realism? I'm loving this, and I can't wait to see the final outcome! :)

Share this comment

dohraymii

Posted

I feel even more strongly than T Wrecks. Those shots would have looked decent in 2003, back when SC4 first came out. Now? It looks like concept art from a rejected 'Dora the Explorer' episode. If this is the best Maxis can do, I am going to be very disappointed.

Very underwhelming.

Share this comment

shanemelbourne

Posted

the industrial area in pic one looks a little too gruesome for my liking but I like the built up traffic in the background of the same picture. Hopefully the pollution will be toned down for the release unless this is an area with several coal-fired power plants.

Hopefully the buildings will not sit quite so far apart in the built up areas as they do in picture 2.... The fire situation in picture 2 looks great ... i'm looking forward to creating some nice disaster scenarios if that is the result... I would be interested to know why there are so many sims in picture 3, have they been to a football game or something?

I will be interested to see how popular the tilt-shift perspective is with the simcity community as it could potentially give your cities that "cartoonish" feel others are writing about. I quite like it for the most part...

Share this comment

meowza

Posted

They gave plenty of creative space for modders to meddle with the game. :)

I'm fine with the look, it's decent and it's essentially very SimCity.

But a "living" simulation and quality gameplay still overshadow graphics anytime...

Share this comment

Dannibee

Posted

It looks horrible and like something out of a children's TV show. Maxis are gonna have to really impress me with the gameplay if they even want me to consider a purchase...

Share this comment

hedion

Posted

Beurk. It s not realistic. I m very very disapointed.

Share this comment

srr2

Posted

The curved/angular roads ability would only look good if the buildings were procedurally generated to have a footprint equal to the lot shape. In the first image, the factories are very regular and orthogonal,but they are surrounded by a buffer of vacant land between the building and street that takes on the deformations of the lot shape. Rather, the building itself should have the footprint of the lot. Then we would't have leftover grass spaces as shown in the screenshot. We'd have a realistic city like the image of Boston, below.

WSTd6.jpg

Share this comment

carsgolf4

Posted

I was sooooo Hoping the finished product would look like the trailer........sad

Share this comment

jeremy1

Posted

I like the fact the smoke from stacks drifts in a realistic pattern, rather then just up 3 or 4 meters and then dissapear. Id like to see larger industrial building though, rolling mills a mile long, pipe mazes, and little workers turning valves and checking gauges...that would be neat. Whatever the case may be, im sure anything and everything will be moddable.

Share this comment

jeremy1

Posted

Maxis...please add drive ways : )

Share this comment

Agoosha

Posted

will there be more options for roads and streets. Avenues without dividers?

Share this comment