• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

Educational programme uses SimCity to test children on vital problem-solving skills

Dirktator

Imagine a school where playing video games is encouraged during classes and may even replace exams. A new educational programme uses SimCity to test children on vital problem-solving skills.

Video games usually get in the way of homework. GlassLab, however, is a collaboration between educators and technologists. Uniting commercial game studios and educational groups the aim is to embrace gaming technology to transform the learning process and make it more relevant to the demands of the 21st Century.

They could even one day replace traditional exams.

SimCityEDU: Pollution Challenge, which has just launched, is an educational version of the video game SimCity. Designed for teenagers, students play the role of a city mayor, managing a city with some pressing pollution problems.

BBC Future spoke to Jessica Lindl, general manager of GlassLab, at the Silicon Valley-based gaming company, EA (Electronic Arts) about how games could prepare children for jobs

Full video at the source: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131107-could-video-games-replace-exams

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

tman383

Posted

Share this comment

Bipin

Posted

This is a great way to adapt the education system for the modern, technocratic era. Also, I wonder if SimCityEDU would be an offline version of SimCity2013, seeing as a lot of schools (at least around here) have poor internet access. It could be potentially useful for our own needs as well.

Share this comment

Lot Creator

Posted

So... are we now going to see people downloading finished cities? 

Share this comment

Haljackey

Posted

lol why do these sites continue to use my screenshots? :P

Share this comment

Tonraq

Posted

Haljackey is so popular :P

It me be sort of a good idea, but they have to know what are the repurcussions of a shared internet service.

Share this comment

MandelSoft

Posted

I was thinking this one was one of yours. The style look so familiar :P

Shame that it's used as a cover for a video that's basically about SimCity 2013. I call that false marketing...

Share this comment

DFlanaghan

Posted

A misleading thumbnail? I thought this was the BBC, not YouTube.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

If you put it on You-tube it is public.  It is a shame that they use an SC4 shot to shill for Sims City.  However, the kids who get access to this surely are not paying the licence fee, nor are they connected to EAs public servers, but to the school servers.

The smaller game is better for educational use.

Share this comment

Haljackey

Posted

Yup that image is from 2006 or 2007.

Decided to go back and check it out. Not much has changed:

Click for full size:

bRnQ2kq.jpg

And yes, this isn't the first time SC4 screens have been used for SC13 content.

Share this comment

StanislavSoltys

Posted

And yes, this isn't the first time SC4 screens have been used for SC13 content.

It's a sign...

Share this comment

SS3K

Posted

Shouldn't we be teaching our kids more important issues such as; how to speak properly with correct grammer, how to deal with financial difficulties, how to program software, sex education with consequences rather than how to use this and that?!

If we want to teach our teens about video games let them play GTA and when the character gets busted a real police officer should come in and arrested them and give them a real simulation on what it would be like to be charge with murder. The earlier you do this it be more than likely that they will think twice or not at all to commit a real crime in the future.

Share this comment

Lot Creator

Posted

Shouldn't we be teaching our kids more important issues such as; how to speak properly with correct grammer, how to deal with financial difficulties, how to program software, sex education with consequences rather than how to use this and that?!

If we want to teach our teens about video games let them play GTA and when the character gets busted a real police officer should come in and arrested them and give them a real simulation on what it would be like to be charge with murder. The earlier you do this it be more than likely that they will think twice or not at all to commit a real crime in the future.

This is a city simulator, not a RL simulator. Also if games were like that, many developers would be broke by now. Sad but true.

Back to to topic: City development does indeed present itself a good exercise for people to test their skills in management and decision. However... I cannot make my opinion on basing this on SC13.  Several things would need to change in order to be used as a good simulator. Probably a better agent system and more options for RL senarios. AKA, bigger maps, metros, expressways, more variety, etc.

This is not about the use of teaching RL. Its putting skills to work. 

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

All this really does is start streaming the budding civil engineers and architects.  Maybe some city planners.  Early start is not a bad thing.

As for the 3Rs, if they haven't got it by this time, it is probably too late.  Ethics is another matter and really falls into parenting, IMHO.  Schools are concerned with teaching health principles including safe sex, but the consequences is for parents to discuss in full.

These days the 3Rs seem to be Reeling and Writhing and Rhythmatics.

Share this comment

Robproc

Posted

I think it would be a great idea, even if it is on sc13. I remember being a kid in what we called a computer lab, and in the "computer lab" there was a bunch of very old apples that only ran a few things and it was all through a terminal. There was the good ol Oregon trail (the class favorite) and then some other typing games which everyone hated. Had a game like this been available to us as children we would of probably been the most exciting things of our lives.

I really believe that schools need to intigrate a lot of technology into their studies. Now days just about every profession is computer based. Architecture and city planning are just about exclusive to computers these days, and any type of big project will be first prototyped to ensure success. So, in my opinion the more we get kids involved with not only computers, but solving problems with computers, our future will be brighter. 

All the kids who can't figure out how to build a city can take the sanitation and construction jobs :)

Share this comment

Stuart98

Posted

What I wonder is how much EA is paying them. The video just throws kind word after kind word to SimCity. One does not simply do that without being EA payed.

Share this comment

fefenc

Posted

I've learned english playing GTA San Andreas.

Share this comment

clhigh7

Posted

I've learned english playing GTA San Andreas.

Oh dear...

Share this comment

#1SithLord

Posted

It's an excellent idea. When I was in 7th grade, an in-class project for my Industrial Engineeing class, we created a functional simcity using Simcity 2000. (At the time, SC3K was out I already owned it so the project was easy :P) But it was a lot of fun and the object of the project was to be able to think critically and learn to manage several different problems all at once as well as getting an idea as to the core needs of a town, city, etc. Our middle school firgured that with the rise of video games, that kids would get their hands on them anyway. So they put a productive and educational game such as Simcity in.

Share this comment

frdrcklim

Posted

Well you're quite all over the place :D.

Share this comment