• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

EA Wants to Stop Being 'Hated'

Cyclone Boom

"Can a computer make you cry?" It's 30 years since video games giant Electronic Arts ran an advert asking that question, adding that it believed the medium had the potential to "bring people's thoughts and feelings closer together".

Three decades on, if its audience is indeed weeping in unison, it may be in frustration.

EA has been voted the "worst company in America" two years running in an online poll by Consumerist magazine, and comments posted by gamers to other sites - complaining of "price gouging" and "arrogance" - confirm many dislike it.

Speaking to the BBC, Frank Gibeau, EA's president of labels, acknowledges his firm has an image problem.

"That type of feedback is disappointing personally for people inside of EA because we love our company and the games that we make," he says.

"We're in the business of entertaining and exciting people, and when our business policies get in the way of that and we hear this reaction and see this feedback we have to take note of it. We're not tone deaf."

Read full article

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

lew1984

Posted

All so true... For me personally its more than an image problem they need to fix. Their entire business practices, attitudes and policy's need some serious looking at.

Share this comment

Toothless Stitch

Posted

I seriously doubt they can make it. Where do they want to begin :P

Share this comment

Cyclone Boom

Posted

It's all right to make statements like this, as they've done before. But what needs to happen is less talking and more action. It's going to take a long time to heal the wounds, and improve the company's reputation.

To start with, their products need to be more focussed on customer satisfaction, rather than sales targets and high profit margins. This can be achieved by setting the target audience, and identifying what people actually want out of a game. Working with the customers is of paramount importance.

If they'd done this with SimCity, many of the shortfalls could have been prevented.

Share this comment

Decius

Posted

Well said Cyclone. One of the main focusses I get from my study in busines enginering, is that everything has to do with customer satisfaction and the pull effect of the supply chain. EA is currently using old push methods that simply do not work in this day and age. Get the customer satisfied and your profit margins will grow by themselfves! Don't think for the customer, thats what surveys are for!

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

If anyone would care to recall, I got banned from the SimCity 2013 section for accurately predicting the fiasco.  Nevertheless, I think that EA has lost its way, and may never return from the swamp they have built.  Remember that when you try to drain a swamp, you will be up to your nether regions in alligators.

Its a big market, but if your market research guys are not doing their job in niche markets like the SC4 community, you see the results.

It appears to me, and probably a large part of the external world, that EA has become a corporate raider, interested only in the bottom line, and not in producing good product.  This is a symptom of "damn the customers, full speed ahead" also known as casting pearls before swine.  Unfortunately for them, this swine knows a pile of crap when it sees it.

The present glassbox technology, no matter how much has been thrown away on it, it el punko junko.  Its clearly not suitable for a simulation game of this magnitude, perhaps through scripting limitations of such a primitive system.  Too bad, guys.  I'd leave association with this fiasco off your resume if I were you.

Share this comment

magicrobbie

Posted

EA please walk the talk and fix SimCity. It should be clear from the Forums what should be done.

Share this comment

Dannibee

Posted

Perhaps they should actually act on what the consumers want then, it should really be obvious.

Share this comment

ModernKhalifah

Posted

ea next quest:

add offline mode on simcity (2013)

Share this comment

Monster's Cat

Posted

ea next quest:

Not yet...

They need to fix the bugs first that i've been hearing about, I havent encountered any but I know their there becasue of the many, many forums about them.

Share this comment

ModernKhalifah

Posted

ea next quest:

Not yet...

They need to fix the bugs first that i've been hearing about, I havent encountered any but I know their there becasue of the many, many forums about them.

well, they can do both

Share this comment

InvaderNat

Posted

The biggest problem is that they simply don't listen to fans. Commonly featured problems are...

Their Obsession with DRM

Seriously EA not everything needs to be always online, in SC 2013s case silm to nil needed to be online. Let us have some control over our own games please e.g. I get to choose when a patch is applied, not when it's convenient for people in California.

Releasing Expansion packs on launch day

Really?...just include it in the actual game (I don't mind paying a couple of $ extra to cover the cost).

Origin's inferiority to Steam

Ads - ads everywhere. Plus spyware. yay.

Listen to what fans want in a game

Please don't take a series like Simcity and turn it into a 'Sim-Social' facebook game with fisher-price graphics. I was so crushed when I saw the first few screenshots of the new game. Like it or not Simcity is a solo-gaming experience, it's great to share your work with others (like we do here) but that's about it with a game like this. It's not an FPS or MMORPG.

Share this comment

Zelgadis

Posted

The litmus test is going to come during the upcoming holiday season. E3 showed Xbox One as having features similar to the sorts of restrictions that many EA games have and has been widely panned by gamers. PS4 has done the near opposite to wide acclaim.

If the PS4 utterly decimates Xbone in sales this holiday season, which looks like a strong possibility, then EA will have a very clear answer on the direction it should be going.

Share this comment

Wiimeiser

Posted

The litmus test is going to come during the upcoming holiday season. E3 showed Xbox One as having features similar to the sorts of restrictions that many EA games have and has been widely panned by gamers. PS4 has done the near opposite to wide acclaim.

If the PS4 utterly decimates Xbone in sales this holiday season, which looks like a strong possibility, then EA will have a very clear answer on the direction it should be going.

One word as to why American companies are so uptight about DRM: Piracy. Notice it's really stepped up since Megaupload was shut down. The US tolerates media piracy almost as much as it does pedophilia.

Share this comment

cirugo

Posted

waaay too late for that.

Share this comment

Ro-Bo

Posted

"...take note...", "not tone deaf", still voted as worst company. Conclusion : notes lost under piles of money.

Share this comment

SS3K

Posted

one grows tired off hearing/reading sob stories I have many of these but I don't go round selling it to the media I just get on with life. If they want to stop being the most hated company in america leave or try and make games what actually work.

Sometimes simplicity is best, our generation don't care much for over powering graphics we tend to care about single game play. FIFA sucks and every year you seem to have a new button to press or a new trick, let's face it's the same. Getting rather boring now, how about making a new football game or keeping the game as it is and just charge people a small fee to keep the game updated when they log on?

Top tip stop thinking about the $ and start listening to customers who pay and play youre games!!!

Share this comment

BLANKBLANK

Posted

EA will stop being hated once it stops a) screwing its customers with rushed, bugged and unfinished products, b) taking the money and abandoning their latest games and c) managing the game companies in their fold with such tyrannical control and imposing such stringent yearly deadlines.

Though the chances of that happening are like getting tails from a two-headed coin.

Share this comment

Zelgadis

Posted

"...take note...", "not tone deaf", still voted as worst company. Conclusion : notes lost under piles of money.

Funny thing is... The EA "piles of money" is a myth. The truth is, they aren't doing very well. Most companies have recovered from the 2008/2009 crash. EA hasn't.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

^ Nor will it as long as it fails to use proper quality control techniques and thorough beta testing.  The users are part of the universe of discourse in any programming veture.  You sell the buyers by showing them what you've got, not by all kinds of hype.  Most courts would call this kind of advertising "mere puffing" or hot air even if it is in writing.

One sided contracts like the current EULA with no recourse for the buyer is not the way to fly.  Those expensive legal eagles of theirs remind me of a flock of sparrows picking at horse dung in the road.  It is about time there were some legally enforceable remedies for charlatanry like this.

No more scams, EA.  Good product = good long term results.  How much total income have you got from SimCity 4, bugs and all?  And how about fixing the bugs, boys?

Share this comment

pisoY

Posted

I think Microsoft is changing roles with EA.

Share this comment