• Hellken
    Hellken

EA Korea Facebook Controversy and Why South Korean Gamers are Pissed at SimCity

Why South Korean Gamers Are So Pissed about SimCity

avt-small.jpg Brian Ashcraft

Upset about the rocky SimCity rollout? Take heart. You are not alone. Gamers in South Korea are also not happy campers. But it's not just due to the inability to play.

Here's what happened: When South Korean gamers couldn't connect to servers, the official SimCity Korean Facebook page called out the country for piracy. You know, EA Korea's paying customers. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Yesterday, the game's Korean Facebook page carried this message (translated by Kotaku reader Sang Kwon): "We are currently undergoing a server maintenance to increase capacity per your request. We expect a lot of fluctuation throughout the maintenance. Your feedback is important. Thank you for your understanding and patience."

Okay, this is all rather innocuous. This comment is not the problem. Rather, it's what the EA Facebook page manager apparently wrote in the comments. The sticking point was that supposedly there aren't any servers in Asia—something that seemed perplexing for a game has always requires an internet connection.

Full sizefacebook.jpg

Above, in the highlighted section, a commenter wrote, "Asia has one of the highest populations. Why aren't there any servers?"

The EA Korea Facebook manager replied (once again, translation by Sang Kwon): "There is a lot of piracy in Asia, so it would be difficult for the time being."

This, of course, set Korean gamers off. "It's so hard to legitimately play games even when you buy the official product," wrote one Facebook user, and another asked, "Haven't you learned anything from Diablo III launch?" Yet another quipped, "Change the company name to MA: Money Arts." Many asked where they could get refunds. The Facebook post now has over 700 comments.

The whole brouhaha is all over Korean gaming sites like GameMeca, Game Donga, and Daily Game.

The EA rep has apologized for the comments, saying this was just an unfortunate result of trying to be more proactive as Facebook users were complaining about the lack of communication from EA.

--------------

Read the rest at Kotaku.com

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

So.... wait... I thought that the whole idea behind putting this game onto an online-only architecture was to make piracy impossible in the first *&%%& place! Which is it, EA? Are you admitting that placing the SimCity online had nothing to do with DRM at all?

Share this comment

So.... wait... I thought that the whole idea behind putting this game onto an online-only architecture was to make piracy impossible in the first *&%%& place! Which is it, EA? Are you admitting that placing the SimCity online had nothing to do with DRM at all?

They (EA) obviously have no idea what are they talking about...

Share this comment

.. SimCity (2013) news gets more and more interesting everyday... Who needs Hollywood movies? 

The way she eats that popcorn just completely makes me forget this whole sim village debacle

Share this comment

The game does not deserve the flak for this crap. :(( so hard to watch the game that I love so much gets treated like this :| If only EA and Maxis listened to Simcity's loyal and passionate fan base they would get more positive feedbacks... 

Share this comment

So lets make it harder to use the game legally in this region, because this is where the most pirates are. the logic...

Data and Spock would be proud....

Share this comment

What a bunch of racists.

With the way things are unraveling, it seems to me that the true entertainment that can be derived from this game is that of watching it crash and burn and the naive and gullible people's reactions to it.

I give it a 10/10.

Share this comment

I don't believe this. Ignoring an entire continent, and thus a potential market, is not only extremely unfair and borderline racist( "HURR ALL ASIANS ARE PIRATES"), but also incredibly stupid from an economic perspective.

Stop it, EA. You're losing customers, and therfore, money.

Share this comment

I live in Asia, so this is rather bummer news. But at least I'm informed, and knowing this piece of information now, I think I'll postpone buying this game indefinitely.

By the way, piracy was how I was introduced to this game. I loved SimCity 4 back then, I bought a legitimate copy anyway.

Share this comment