• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

EA Employee Chastises Company Over SimCity

Dirktator

Six hours ago, an anonymous redditor posting under the name “DisappointedEA” made a thread containing an open letter expressing his disappointment in the company’s handling of SimCity. The twist? He reportedly works there:

“To the executives at EA, from one of your employees

I am deeply embarrassed by the troubled launch of Sim City and I hope you are too. When I walk around our campus and look at the kind of talent we’ve collected, the amenities we have access to and the opportunities working at such a big company affords us, I can’t imagine how for release after release, EA continues to make the same embarrassing, anti-consumer mistakes. We should be better than this. You should not be failing us so badly.

Another thing I see when I walk around our campus are massive banners that display what are said to be our company values. They are on posters on every floor, included in company-wide emails and hanging above the cafeteria in bright colors. You even print them on our coffee mugs so we see them every day. But somehow when planning the launch of Sim City, you threw them all out the window.

Most important of the values you are ignoring is Think Consumers First. What part of the Sim City DRM scheme, which has rendered the game unplayable for hundreds of thousands of fans across the globe, demonstrates that you are thinking about consumers before you are thinking about yourselves? Does “first” mean something different in boardrooms than it does to the rest of us? Does the meaning of that word change when you get the word “executive” in front of your title?

You can’t even pretend that you didn’t know consumers would be angry about this. Common sense aside, consumers complained about this during your public betas. In fact, when one of them posted his criticisms on the forums, he was banned! You tried to silence your critics. The same thing is happening now as users write in to demand refunds. What part of this behavior aligns with our company value to Be Accountable?

What you’ve demonstrated with this launch is that our corporate management does not believe in our core values. They are for the unwashed masses, not for the important people who forced this anti-consumer DRM onto the Sim City team. This DRM scheme is not about the consumers or even about piracy. It’s about covering your own asses. It allows you to hand-wave weak sales or bad reviews and blame outside factors like pirates or server failures in the event the game struggles. You are protecting your own jobs at the expense of consumers. I think this violates the Act With Integrity value I’m looking at on my own coffee mug right now.

On behalf of your other employees, I’d like to ask you to fix this. Allow the Sim City team to patch the game to run offline. If Create Quality and Innovation is still a core value that you believe in, then this shouldn’t be a hard decision. Games that gamers can’t play because of server overload or ISP issues are NOT quality. Be Bold by giving the consumers what they want and take accountability for the mistake.

Finally I’d like to ask you to follow the last company value on the list in the future: Learn and Grow. When you made this mistake with Spore, the company and all your employees suffered for it. You didn’t learn from that mistake and you are making it again with Sim City.

So please, learn from this debacle. Don’t do this again. Grow into better leaders and actually apply our company values when you make decisions. Don’t just use them as tools to motivate your staff. With the money, talent and intellectual property available to EA, we should be leading the industry into a golden age of consumer-focused game publishing. Instead we’re the most reviled game publisher in the world. That’s your fault. Things can only change if you actually start following the company values and apply them to every title we launch.

Sincerely,

A Disappointed But Hopeful Artist at EARS”

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

Bipin

Posted

You know the brown stuff has hit the fan when the company's own employees are verging on digital mutiny with letters like this. Kudos to whomever wrote this; having someone inside EA expressing the same sentiment of all the consumers is always a good thing.

Share this comment

cirugo

Posted

I don't buy it.  MAXIS themselves have been fighting too hard on behalf of the online-only.

Share this comment

Superbacon

Posted

Hasn't this news item already been posted

Share this comment

Cottoncandy Cyanide

Posted

Embarassing really to EA. Having one of their own employees pointin' out past mistakes means EA utterly sucks.

Share this comment

Haljackey

Posted

Do we know for sure if this is a EA employee? From what I've read, it might be false.

Either way, I agree with the letter.

Share this comment

Dargor

Posted

Regardless whether he works there or not, I am impressed by the words and style. A very well-written piece that puts into words many complaints and concerns that really should make EA's executives blush. I agree with almost all. It really looks like all of those mentioned values have been ignored.

Share this comment

mastorofpuppetz

Posted

I don't buy it.  MAXIS themselves have been fighting too hard on behalf of the online-only.

HUH? That is a dumb comment, a company with many people, you will always have people who do not agree with management sdecisions..... I doubt everyone has the same mindset like robots at maxis lol.

Share this comment

Sepen77

Posted

Must I say this again? Yes, because I want to voice my opinion: This is sad. Once again, the inevitable failure of this launch has moved more than just gamers to strive for change. I applaud to the employee and his courage for writing this.

Share this comment

Zukunftstraume

Posted

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. But I still feel like the heads of EA will choose to not read this.

Share this comment

metarvo

Posted

Seeing so many non-SC4 sites cover this reaffirms my belief that this situation is not just a SC community outcry against a new game, but rather legitimate failure.  It is disheartening that EA and Maxis have all but wrecked a beloved franchise like this one, but it is reassuring that there are some within the corporate umbrella that are speaking out now.  I fear for this employee's job, but I admire the bravery.

Share this comment

tropsim

Posted

I was wise enough to wait before buying. Now I am definitely not buying the game. Whether the author is really an EA employee or not doesn't matter. What he says is nicely written, too nicely maybe....

Share this comment

Hellken

Posted

Whether this is fake or real, this is what I think:

Scout-salute.jpg

Share this comment