• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

Cities Skylines review: This is the SimCity you were looking for

Dirktator

"Cities: Skylines is a great city builder. I still think my personal favorite is SimCity 2000 but at this point I can confidently say that's more because of nostalgia than because Cities: Skylines doesn't measure up. It does.

Gigantic areas. Pretty tilt-shift post-processing. Offline mode. Curved roads. Interesting pollution and water simulations. Steam Workshop support. Plenty of information overlays pertaining to everything from wind to population happiness to noise pollution. And there are some features I haven't even mentioned, like the fact you can create districts in your city and then assign them unique policies like high-rise bans and small-business tax breaks.

Is it perfect? No. The end of the game is just as mindless as any other city builder, including SimCity 2000, and certain simulations could be more involved or at least more communicative. I'm still delving into the traffic system for instance and trying to figure out whether certain quirks are actually broken simming or just my own incompetence.

But overall this is the city builder I've been waiting for. Time to get back to it—my city's in another window waiting for its mayor to return."

At a Glance

Cities: Skylines somehow lives up to the unfair expectations heaped upon it, presenting one of the best city builders in years.

Pros

• Massive area to build in
    • Easy to get started, but plenty of depth for those who want to dig into systems

Cons

• End-game is mindless, as you might as well have infinite money
    • Traffic simulation can be intimidating to newcomers

Read the full review at the source.

Edited by Dirktator

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

Hellken

Posted

There's a lot to do in Cities: Skylines, but it's kept fairly manageable thanks to a gated unlock system that adds new concepts to the game as you add population. For the most part these unlocks make sense according to your city size...

[Side note: There's also a built-in mod that allows you to bypass these gates entirely, or give yourself infinite money, if you'd rather just be creative.]

Well, that's a relief. I like creating nature in SimCity 4 Deluxe. If I can cheat and build large spaces anytime, can I create huge forests or lakes? Is there any terraforming in this game?

Share this comment

Aragorn

Posted

Can't wait for this game to come out!!!!! 

2h 12min and counting! 

Share this comment

lew1984

Posted

Happy gaming every one its live now :-)

Share this comment

1RAGE

Posted

There's a lot to do in Cities: Skylines, but it's kept fairly manageable thanks to a gated unlock system that adds new concepts to the game as you add population. For the most part these unlocks make sense according to your city size...

[Side note: There's also a built-in mod that allows you to bypass these gates entirely, or give yourself infinite money, if you'd rather just be creative.]

Well, that's a relief. I like creating nature in SimCity 4 Deluxe. If I can cheat and build large spaces anytime, can I create huge forests or lakes? Is there any terraforming in this game?

no terraforming yet (or ever?) once the region is created. You can create your own maps beforehand though. 

Share this comment

eburress

Posted

I'm excited about the game but their shopping cart UI sucks and 30 minutes later, I am still waiting on my product key.  Hope the game is better than the purchase experience.

Share this comment

InvaderNat

Posted

Nope, sorry but this still looks too cartoony for me. I like the realistic look of SC4 and the ability to play completely sandbox ('cheat') right from the start. I'm not even remotely interested in things like managing budgets or mayor popularity, I just want to design really cool looking, functional cities.

Share this comment

Gatycon

Posted

It's worth checking out the full length review just for some of the screenshots of the city he made. I've watched quite a few videos on this game so far, but this was the first time I've seen a big city in this game made 'realistically' and in an aesthetically pleasing way. It looks great!

It's also worth noting that most of the things people are saying the game is missing will likely be added later (like more realistic textures, disasters, terraforming) either through mods or through official game updates. It's still (very) early days though, so any major problems or improvements will remain to be seen.

It's also interesting that the game is being released with some limitations and restrictions, similar to the SC2013 launch, but where SC2013 was crucified, people seem to be willing to accept that they'll have to wait for some features for Skylines. Guess by being upfront about it, CO is able to nullify the firestorm of criticism that SC endured. Or maybe the limitations of SC were just that much more permanent and damaging.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

Think I'll wait until the dew is off this rose.  I hope everyone has an experience they've been expecting although that last post was a little dismal.

Share this comment

Gatycon

Posted

I like the realistic look of SC4 and the ability to play completely sandbox ('cheat') right from the start.

It says in the full review that there is a built in mod to disable the unlocking of buildings, just giving them all to you at the start, and giving you infinite money. So that would probably be a sandbox mode unless there's some other stuff that would need to be disabled, I'm not sure.

Share this comment

Extrenix

Posted

I'm sure modders are already working on stuff

Share this comment

McMurray02

Posted

I'm going to be much more forgiving of CO if there are any issues that arise early, or if there is a lack of graphical polish. The reason is: this is their first full city simulator, and they're only charging $30, not to mention they are only working with a staff of 13 people. I'm all in favor of new blood in this genre, especially if they seem to be dedicated to delivering what the core gamer wants. I hope they use the $30 I'm about to hand them to enhance their product even further.

Share this comment

lew1984

Posted

Just sunk 4hrs on the game and its 12:53am... Must go to bed I have work... But I'm addicted already! 

Share this comment

MilitantRadical

Posted

I'm not even remotely interested in things like managing budgets or mayor popularity, I just want to design really cool looking, functional cities.

Yeah these games really need a mode where you can just build and design without all the tedious constraints of management. Some people just aren't interested in that. However, Skylines seems like a step in the right direction after the monumental disaster that was SC2013.

Share this comment

lew1984

Posted

Cities Skylines has an unlimited money mod and a mod to unlock everything from the start already in the game when you buy it. You just have to activate it so you can play unlocked sandbox games and build a city without managing budgets or growing it to unlock things already. 

Share this comment

ggianfra

Posted

Excellent work of the Paradox / CO. The graphic style (and beyond) is to SC2013 but the gameplay is absolutely better. Excellent quality / price ratio.

Share this comment

Superbacon

Posted

Bought, downloaded and started playing yesterday morning right after it was unlocked on Steam. Fantastic game. This is definitely the (3D) city builder I've been waiting for. Already proving better than other games. The release isn't botched with controversy and people completely unable to play the game they bought. I can play without an Internet connection and the city sizes are far larger than that other game.

I greatly appreciate the work that Paradox has done for the city-building community. Extremely grateful. I love what they've done. The game is relaxing and I can lose myself in it for hours.

I also like the building system they have. You zone buildings and people build and move in. But then the building will upgrade over time to something better and more efficient than the last one. This is a rather unique approach to handling wealth classes.

The only peeves I have with this game are the garbage collection  speed and the lack of turning lanes and merge lanes for highways. But like with almost anything in a game, it can be fixed with mods. 

Other than that, this is the best city-building experience I've had since my heavily modded SC4.

Share this comment

ggianfra

Posted

Boooom !!! Over 2,500 positive reviews on STEAM and only 84 negative.

Share this comment

wozzar

Posted

Think I'll wait until the dew is off this rose.  I hope everyone has an experience they've been expecting although that last post was a little dismal.

Hey Nonny Moose do yourself a favour and by the game it is really worth it. I didnt buy SCS or SC13 but when i saw this i new it would be a winner. Sure it isnt Sim City but it does have some Sim Cities influnces. I highly recommend it.

Share this comment

wozzar

Posted

Boooom !!! Over 2,500 positive reviews on STEAM and only 84 negative.

Could be EA employees doing the negs though i shouldnt really say that. I notice Metacritic had one neg and the user score was 9.6 SC4 got a user score of 8.7

Share this comment

jabezscratch

Posted

It sounds like it has no sandbox mode so that worries me.

Share this comment