• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

Cities: Skylines Release Date Revealed

Azurespecter

Cities: Skylines is a modern take on the classic city simulation. The game introduces new game play elements to realize the thrill and hardships of creating and maintaining a real city whilst expanding on some well-established tropes of the city building experience. From the makers of the Cities in Motion franchise, the game boasts a fully realized transport system. It also includes the ability to mod the game to suit your play style as a fine counter balance to the layered and challenging simulation. You’re only limited by your imagination, so take control and reach for the sky!

Main features:

• Multi-tiered and challenging simulation: Constructing your city from the ground up is easy to learn, but hard to master. Playing as the mayor of your city you’ll be faced with balancing essential requirements such as education, water, electricity, police, fire fighting, healthcare and much more along with your citys real economy system. Citizens within your city react fluidly, with gravitas and with an air of authenticity to a multitude of game play scenarios.
    • Extensive local traffic simulation: Colossal Orders extensive experience developing the Cities in Motion series is fully utilized in fully fleshed out and well-crafted transport systems.
    • Districts and Policies: Be more than just an administrator from city hall. Designating parts of your city as a district results in the application of policies which results in you rising to the status of Mayor for your own city.
    • Extensive modding support: Build or improve on existing maps and structures. You can then import them into the game, share them as well as download the creations of other city builders on the Steam workshop.

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

JaWood

Posted

I am genuinely excited about this game. I just hope this release date isn't too soon. As long as it is a polished game ready to go and not being released to quickly just to earn a buck, then it should be really good.

Share this comment

Nesral Sredna

Posted

The minimum system requirements of DirectX11, means there will be no support for DX10 and DX9 as previously informed....

Share this comment

Haljackey

Posted

Just a reminder that you should never preorder any game that isn't a physical copy, even if there is a 'preorder bonus'.

It makes sense if you're getting a physical copy and want to play it as soon as it comes out. Doing that for a virtual copy is pointless.

Read more

http://kotaku.com/5909105/stop-preordering-video-games-please

http://www.cnet.com/news/you-should-never-ever-preorder-a-video-game/

Share this comment

Mr Saturn64

Posted

I'm hyped.  However, that's also two days after my birthday. 

Share this comment

Aragorn

Posted

I'm confident that this is THE SC4 successor. 

Share this comment

iviaarten

Posted

Just a reminder that you should never preorder any game that isn't a physical copy, even if there is a 'preorder bonus'.

It makes sense if you're getting a physical copy and want to play it as soon as it comes out. Doing that for a virtual copy is pointless.

Read more

http://kotaku.com/59...eo-games-please

http://www.cnet.com/...r-a-video-game/

Especially since it looks like the pre-order bonusses are just some lots, and this game comes with built in mod support. So I'm guessing we'll see plenty of content to replace the pre-order bonusses. I guess you're not missing out.

I must say though, this is the first game in a long time that is actually tempting me to pre-order. What I've seen sofar has been exciting :)

I'll refrain from doing so though. I sincerely dislike the business model of pre-orders, and I'll vote with my wallet on this one.

Share this comment

Mav12

Posted

for those skeptical about the DLC, as a person who is familiar with Paradox and there policies, don't worry

The Paradox model is as fallows: small cosmetic DLC for 1-2$ released time to time that add nor real value to game besides eye candy and moderate to large expansion packs that cost 15-20$ that add/change many game features. eg the-pre order and deluxe edition bonuses, those are purely cosmetic and will be available sometime after launch at a higher price then getting them now (obviously to encourage pre-orders)

Also with every major Expansion and/or patch there are a few contents that are added free (if you don't buy the DLC you'll get that content in the patch that adds that DLC)

look at the DLC for CK2 and EUIV to see this model

(don't be surprised at CK2's high total price, that's 3 years worth of mostly cosmetic and a few expansion pack DLCs. This is due to the games huge popularity theve kept adding DLC's for 3 years now)

Share this comment

zimmie

Posted

Just a month away. Nice! Definitely giving this one a shot. Normally would wait for reviews and maybe a price drop, but they've shown enough imo.

Share this comment

Lot Creator

Posted

Finally a date. All previous lessons learned from our mistakes should apply to this game. I think its worth keeping an eye out for it but proceed with caution. Unless the hype is with you, then by all means proceed.

Share this comment

ggianfra

Posted

I followed very closely all the videos on youtube, and it is without doubt the best simulation that lovers of "build" can buy today. The community of lovers of the "build" (which always finds its meeting in Simtropolis) has undergone profound offended by EA and FOCUS but we must not stop believing that our passion can rediscover the great satisfactions offered by SC4.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

And I will lay in the bushes and wait for some known people to report their experience.

Share this comment

Gatycon

Posted

Same with me, I won't be one of the first to buy it, but if it gets a good endorsement on here than I'll definitely be willing to give it a shot.

Course, I'd have to upgrade my computer to run it... Oh well, I've been needing an excuse anyway!

Share this comment

DanSky

Posted

I love that flat minimal style and those desaturated pastel colors. I'll get it for sure

Share this comment

Mr_Maison

Posted

I been looking at this optimistically. But the language of the modding in this article have me wondering. It sounds like we mod existing elements (templates) but not things made from scratch. I would also like to know if we can make our own maps. Gonna do some more research on this.

Share this comment

CorpusDei

Posted

I'm tempted to pre-order just to say "thanks" to the devs for those curvy overpasses... haven't done so yet but I have chucked it on my Steam wishlist.

Share this comment

DomoTheRussian

Posted

Read more

http://kotaku.com/59...eo-games-please

http://www.cnet.com/...r-a-video-game/

It's a common sense thing to not pre order games nowadays. Too many cases last year where people got blatantly cheated with big releases

Share this comment

simsantos

Posted

I'm looking forward to this game but also a little confused about modding...not sure if  the game will FULLY support modding...since they are planning to make extra $$ money with DLC...

This is what i found on their FAQ 

Modding

Will there be modding capabilities?

Yes. There will be specially designed tools such as a map editor, building editor, 3d asset importer  and beautification tool. Creations can be shared with other players via Steam Workshop.

The tools are still  in development but more details will be revealed later.  Although Unity isn’t open source some of the actual code will be available.

Colossal Order are also creating a tool to allow you to create unique parks.

Will I be able to create my own road pieces with the modding tools?

Yes.

Can we import Cities in Motion 2 maps into Cities Skylines?

It’s unlikely.

Can we mod gated communities?

This will be possible with some wall / gate assets, policies.

Will there be DLC?

Pardox are looking at releasing major expansion packs and large patches full of free stuff and some minor DLC.  There will also be some kind of pre-order bonus.

Is there anything that has been confirmed as NOT being in Cities on initial release?

• Night time but it’s likely to appear as a DLC (maybe free)
    • Weather system
    • Trams
    • Bicycles
    • Events

This does not mean they will not appear as a mod, DLC or in a future expansion pack.

Share this comment

iviaarten

Posted

I think there will be a developer diary about modding next week (especially since people who pre-ordered got to peek into the steam workshop already :)).

On both paradox forums and reddit it has been stated that they will open up modding as much as they can, and they hope that people will buy the DLC more as a continued support for CO (the developpers) than that it is necessary to get let's say a basketball court.

I hope that with the modding scene building nice ingame assets (provided ofcourse that CO deliver a solid base game), that the devs can work on adding actual new functionality, instead of having to focus on churning out building models/textures.

Looks like CO/Paradox are both hoping to have a really active modding community, and looking at how open and transparent they've been during the development proces sofar, I'm optimistic :)

Share this comment

Azurespecter

Posted

I been looking at this optimistically. But the language of the modding in this article have me wondering. It sounds like we mod existing elements (templates) but not things made from scratch. I would also like to know if we can make our own maps. Gonna do some more research on this.

We'll be releasing a bunch of detailed information about modding soon. You can make buildings and assets from scratch, as well as your own maps. The map editor is quite amazing, and we have a dev diary about it here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?822199-Cities-Skylines-%96-Dev-Diary-6-Map-Editor

I hope that with the modding scene building nice ingame assets (provided ofcourse that CO deliver a solid base game), that the devs can work on adding actual new functionality, instead of having to focus on churning out building models/textures.

That's pretty much the plan!

I'm looking forward to this game but also a little confused about modding...not sure if  the game will FULLY support modding...since they are planning to make extra $$ money with DLC...

This is what i found on their FAQ 

Just wanted to be clear, this is a fan-made FAQ. However, it's mostly accurate. The only fault I have with the section you quoted is that it makes it sound like the modding tools are just a WIP. They are already in-game and functioning, and will be ready at day one.

Share this comment

Mymyjp

Posted

Well, I never played this type of city before. The only one I know is Sim City 4. There was a lot of things that peaked my interest while watching the videos. Love the fact regarding road flexibility, not too found of not being able to terraform as much as SC4.

I might give this baby a try. Looks really interesting and I love city simulation games where you actually have a challenge to balance happiness and budget!

Share this comment