• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

Cities: Skylines hits million sales mark

jigsaw

STOCKHOLM – April 14, 2015 – Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order, the city building genre’s new ‘It’ couple, have today revealed that Cities: Skylines, the monumentally successful city simulation game for PC, Mac and Linux has smashed through the 1 million sales barrier since its release on March 10.

Widely hailed as the new benchmark for the genre, Cities: Skylines has captured the gaming public’s imagination with a staggering 33,000 mods having been created to date and made available via the Steam Workshop, with an average of 21,000 concurrent players continuously online since launch.

Commenting on the continued success of the game, CEO of Paradox Interactive Fredrik Wester said, “We continue to be amazed at just how players have embraced Cities: Skylines. The game is still selling at a steady pace, which is remarkable for a game that has been on sale for well over a month. Once again, we want to thank everyone that has supported and continues to support this game.”

Visit Source

atilla5, jmsepe, 80sreject and 33 others like this
    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

A Nonny Moose

Posted

Some people have the nerve to say that city simulations don't sell.  This is a good example of just how hot the market is.

Share this comment

MandelSoft

Posted

Just to put things in perspective: they sold over 1 million copies of C:SL of $30 each. That is $30 million of revenue! Even if Valve takes half of the portion of that figure, it would still mean a significant profit for Collosal Order.

I've once heard that developing CitiesXL costed around €5 million. If we say that this game costed about the same, they have passed the break-even point for quite a while, way less than a month...

Share this comment

Extrenix

Posted

stick that in your crack pipe EA !! you got owned.

Share this comment

Anderson Xeyed

Posted

Now, time to play my "One million sales mark"... check it out EA, Cities: Skylines. Bye.

Share this comment

KillrChicken

Posted

Ha! take that flEa bAg! Cities:Skylines is the best city simulator since SimCity 4 Digital Edition and SimCity 3000 Unlimited. I have been playing C:SL almost non-stop since purchase, which was on the 3rd (158 hours so far). EA just got owned by a small company, lol. Cities XL/XXL was a BIG fail as well, so Brokus Gnome Interinactive also got owned.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

I really can hardly wait to get to play this.  I have it, but don't have a good enough GPU at the moment.  Researching whether I need a new GPU or a whole new box of tricks.  How well does this game play on a modern laptop?

Share this comment

Sandis_van_Great

Posted

I really can hardly wait to get to play this.  I have it, but don't have a good enough GPU at the moment.  Researching whether I need a new GPU or a whole new box of tricks.  How well does this game play on a modern laptop?

I don't know if mine could be called modern but its decent i guess

w7 64bit

8gb ram

i7 4core 2.20ghz

Nvidia GeForce GT555M 3D 3G

It ruins quite alright. I do experience long loading time but its because i am using a lot of mods. And once city loads it does kinda lag until ive gone over all the areas of my city, after that it runs quite smoothly ,although i cant really speed up the game anymore.

Share this comment

Mav12

Posted

although i cant really speed up the game anymore.

Is this only in larger cities?, if so it might be the games end because the game automatically prevents you from going at speeds higher than 2x if your city reaches a certain size (probably for simulation/optimization purposes), its mentioned in this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412292157

WARNING: This mod won't make your game faster if your city is 15k+ in population or larger. The game throttles the speed of the simulation for large cities so you're not going above x4 or even x2.

Share this comment

Sandis_van_Great

Posted

although i cant really speed up the game anymore.

Is this only in larger cities?, if so it might be the games end because the game automatically prevents you from going at speeds higher than 2x if your city reaches a certain size (probably for simulation/optimization purposes), its mentioned in this mod: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=412292157

WARNING: This mod won't make your game faster if your city is 15k+ in population or larger. The game throttles the speed of the simulation for large cities so you're not going above x4 or even x2.

Yeah its only when my city grows quite big.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

Aha, a "governor" on the desire of some players to run at maximum rather than optimum.  We could do with that one in most simulation games because they often overrun the processor(s) to the detriment of the display frame rate.

Swedish programmers have added a new, good idea to the genre.

Share this comment

wozzar

Posted

I really love it when a small company of 13 people make a game that is very successfull and rub it in the noses of the big  company of EA.

The big question now is will EA make a attempt to make another Sim city to compete with CSL or will they just walkaway from the franchise.

Share this comment

Marla_Singer

Posted

I really love it when a small company of 13 people make a game that is very successfull and rub it in the noses of the big  company of EA.

The big question now is will EA make a attempt to make another Sim city to compete with CSL or will they just walkaway from the franchise.

The fact EA has closed down Emeryville gives a good hint on the answer, unfortunately. The problem of city builders isn't that they don't sell, but that they require time and thinking to be produced.

CO may be a team of only a dozen people, but it's been 6 years now that they are working on it. Their very smart idea was to start with the succesful Cities in Motion, which allowed them to generate revenues while developping their experience in agent-simulation without needing to develop all the other elements of a city builder in the same time.

With CIM2, they've brought the 3D engine, so they really had solid foundations on which they could start to work on CSL in 2013. So yes, I think it's pretty honnest to say CSL is more the result of 6 years of development rather than only 2.

Share this comment

Turth Zero

Posted

Excellent. They deserve it.

Share this comment

Shaunathan

Posted

Dear EA,

You had me since Childhood.  Learning about Cities thanks to Will and company.  But back then Will needed a publisher, so he allowed EA to publish Maxis games.  It seemed then the dark days started.  First Will left, then you took his creation in directions his fans did not like.  You told us "This is for the good of the product! You're just a niche, and we need sales!  This will be for everyone!" Yet, what you made... Was for no one.

Those you disenfranchised tried on their own.  We got Cities XL, it wasn't perfect but it wasn't you, it was new and fresh, like a new girlfriend.  Only it didn't work out.  You laughed in our face, "How foolish of you to spend your money on that!"  You gave us the ultimate slap in the face.  Sim City Societies to remind us that you owned us, and there was no leaving you.

Then a group of people began to design a game called Cities: Skylines, a simulator, the very thing you said would never sell.  That thing has now sold over 1 million copies.  The people have spoken.  You were wrong EA.  You were wrong.

This could be you, but instead you quietly sell your assets, leaving Maxis like a spent Cigarette on the sidewalk.  Thanks for all the fish.

-Shaunathan

Share this comment

Junaid Atari

Posted (edited)

Love this Game, They deserve because they did very very hard work. EA go back to Home. Your days are over now :D

Edited by Junaid Atari

Share this comment