• AlenRusso1976
    AlenRusso1976

An Actual Urban Planner Takes On The Original SimCity

In this guest editorial, John Reinhardt, a member of IBM's City Forward team, compares the actual job of urban planning with that found in the Super Nintendo version of SimCity.

There's an urban legend that my mentor once told me: "There are two piles when you apply to a top urban planning school. If you write about your love of SimCity, your application goes straight into ‘Pile B'—the trash bin."

Harsh words, but perhaps there is some truth. An entire generation was taught Urban Planning by Dr. Wright, a 3-inch, green haired imp, from the Super Nintendo version ofSimCity. I myself was hooked from a young age, and made an entire career out of it. Today, I work for IBM as the Program Manager of City Forward, and I'm part of the American Institute of Certified Planners, but my education goes back to the early 90's and Dr. Wright.

Continue http://kotaku.com/5984156/an-actual-urban-planner-takes-on-the-original-simcity

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Well, the Japanese version is a souped up version of SimCity 1 or Micropolis as it is called in the GPL version.  Of course it is a game!  To expect anyone to really feel the depth of true urban planning requirements from such a thing is rather naive at best and foolish at worst.

However, as an inspiration for students to delve further into the profession it may be considered to be a reasonable introduction.  SimCity 4, on the other hand has a good many other variables and it a far, far better introductory tool to the planning profession.

Frankly, discussing Micropolis in the current context of a repeat performance in new clothing is probably appropriate, but what it has to do with SimCity 4 as developed by the user community over the last two lustrums is beyond me.

Share this comment

Another social market media attempt by EA/Maxis, to bash SC4 for the upcoming SC2013

Funny, if there hadn't been an original SC, there would not be one now. 

I would still take the old game anyday, over the new, non-player controlled, microtransaction/DLC to expand it, always online, can't play whenever, whereever, and however I want to game. 

Oh, wait - that's right, I still have my old games and don't have to spend any money on this one. 

Share this comment

Another social market media attempt by EA/Maxis, to bash SC4 for the upcoming SC2013

Funny, if there hadn't been an original SC, there would not be one now. 

I would still take the old game anyday, over the new, non-player controlled, microtransaction/DLC to expand it, always online, can't play whenever, whereever, and however I want to game. 

Oh, wait - that's right, I still have my old games and don't have to spend any money on this one. 

Like it or not, he's just stating the truth. None of the simcity games are accurate to the bone, not even the new one (consult your local university).

Amen.  Your money would look better as a contribution to Boomtown.

Who wants my money more?

Share this comment

Inspired me to become an architect... but what a silly article. Anyone who leaves their house can easily see sim city is just an impression of the real world. It really doesnt need to be written down.

Share this comment

what a silly article

Indeed :-(   As if anyone believes he can solve REAL problems by playing a video game. Ludicrous...

"I am so smart and you are all losers" <burp>...

Share this comment

Inspired me to become an architect... but what a silly article. Anyone who leaves their house can easily see sim city is just an impression of the real world. It really doesnt need to be written down.

The above article just shows me how desperate EA is, at this point, to discredit the "old" to bring in the "new". 

I think that it is amazing that the "older" games inspired you to become an architect.

THAT is the kind of story that needs to be heard. 

Share this comment

I have alot of fond memories playing sim citty on the SNES.  I would let the game run over night to rack up money and everntually turned the chips brown from over usage lol.

Share this comment

EA are at it again.

And to use one of the older versions of SimCity just makes it all the more obvious, I have heard of a number of people who were inspired by video games to take up a career, SimCity was a popular one for architects, hell some versions of SimCity were used as a teaching tool in schools, so to use one of the versions that was strictly intended as a game to attempt to cast doubt on the series, really is a pathetic effort.

Bad show EA.

(I posted this in a conversation to someone, but I think it's just as relevant here.)

Share this comment

Actually an interesting article.  Not sure I see the EA connection to it, though.  It didn't convince me that the old game (anything before SC2013) was bad for urban planning whereas the new game is better for teaching it.  They are games and like he said, he was hooked on urban planning when he got that first game and parlayed it into a career.

Share this comment

This is quite a silly article. The game should be judged from SC4 perspective, not some Nintendo booklet that has as much to do with architecture or city management as Super Mario has.

Share this comment