• Moose
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

New York City, via an alternate timeline.

Entries in this City Journal

docdunsmore

The Region So Far

Hey guys, I've been on this region about two or so months now (though not constantly), and this is New York so far:

nyregion.jpg

I'm sorry that the resolution is grainy, but my photoshop is being a pain and I did this quickly in paint, simply to show you where I'm up to. Let me know what you think!

docdunsmore

In 1714, English settlers on Manhattan Island, and in the Greater area of the New York colony, decided, against the wishes of England, to establish a country for themselves, feeling crippled by the tax burdens that England had placed on them. Non-aligned with the colonial movement of Eastern America, The Independent State of New York branched out into its own small nation, encompassing what is commonly known as Manhattan, Queens, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Staten Island and parts of New Jersey.

ReedsBridge.jpg

The new nation, though small, was prosperous, and its neutral policy to all nations allowed trade to flow freely into the country. In 1722, the English expeditionary navy mounted an attack that was repelled successfully, but the damage was lasting, and of the 20,000 people, 7,000 were killed. After a minor skirmish in 1725, in which the English lost their flagship Man-O-War, the SS Portsmouth, New York was left to its own devices.

After the United States of America established itself, New York kept its independence, but fostered warm relations with the new nation. The two traded exponentially, and much wealth began to gather in the country, and this spurred mass infrastructure development, fuelled by the many slaves that the country utilised.

After the assasination of US President Abraham Lincoln in 1865, the anti-slave movement gained mass support, and the Hudson riots, in which the Governor of New York was murdered, a Second Republic established itself, spear-headed by the anti-slavery leader, Herbert Fairfield. The Second Constitution of New York established clear equality, anti-slavery, freedom and liberty and welfare legislation, and a new congress building was built, inaugurated by now President Fairfield.

By the 1900s, New York was prospering far ahead of a number of nations and empires of the time. Manhattan, the capital city, became a field of skyscrapers and offices, and several rich families bonded together to found the New York People's Corporation, which sought capital investment, mainly from the US, which they poured back into the city, at the cost of stocks in various projects around the city.

This system worked well for the city, but in 1925, the system collapsed after a number of bad investments, and for the next 3 years, New York went through a severe economic depression.

In 2009, New York is now a vastly developed nation, and its capital, Manhattan, is one of the largest and densely populated cities in the World. Commercial sector investment is among the highest in the World, and the Commercial sector accounts for 78% of GDP. Though small, the country's GDP stands at NY$629 Billion, which more than leaves room for an extremely advanced infrastructure system.

Agricultural production is low, but because of its close ties with the United States, non-existent customs duties allow for mass food importation at a negligent cost.

NY.jpg

Just a little taster of part of the city, I'm not that far into it yet, but I've been on it for about 2 months now. The city is much taller, but I wanted to use this image to show that its rather contrasted. Let me know what you think.

By the way, I'm using the pre-loaded New York City map.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0