Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

In an attempt to show the power custom content has on this great game I will build a city with absolutely no mods. After the city has reached an exceptable level of development I will...

Entries in this City Journal

EmergencyManager

It's coming along!

We have custom buildings in Vanillaton!

I hope you enjoy! But First......

vanillatonreplies.jpg

Dafiden:  Thanks for posting on both pages so far!  The NAM overpasses were a lot of work but well worth it.  As far as the industrial areas are concerned the only difference is in the rocks and trees, not the buildings themselves.

firdausabdullah:  While they won't be side by side I did do some before and after shots for you!

TekindusT: I wanted to go with a smaller area becuase I don't want to do a long drawn out CJ.  Thanks for you input! I hope you continue to follow along!

armpit43:  I stopped by your CJ and left a couple words of wisdom!  Good Luck!

(x+x):  I would type your whole name but I can't figure out how to do exponents!  I will be addressing pollution when I start to focus on city beautification and industrial areas!  Stay tuned!

flamerunner14, Retep Molinari, and danielcote:  Thank you guys for stopping by and showing interest!

And Now For Our Update:

The Mods:

Church Pack Volume One by Simgoober

Simville Local Polive by s_olah

Neogothic by RaNoV

NDEXITS Portchester Firestation by ill tonsko

School Pack Volume One and Two by JBSimio

All mods are available from the STEX with absolutely no dependancies!

Now that credit is payed to those responsible for our transfromation thus far let us begin!

In the last update I said I would be working on some critical infrastructure of the city.  This included schools, churches, emergency services (no hospital yet though) and of course a City Hall!

Lets start with the schools!

Before:

vanillaton31.jpg

After!

vanillaton32.jpg

And the High School:

Before!

vanillaton33.jpg

After!  (This one took a few tries!)

vanillaton34.jpg

Of course after a hard project I needed an easy one!  The church!

Before!

vanillaton35.jpg

After! (only about 30 seconds here!)

vanillaton36.jpg

Police and Fire are not left behind in this update!

Before!

vanillaton37.jpg

And After!!

vanillaton38.jpg

I found this building in the STEX and decided it would work as a City Hall and a Post Office!

No before shot, just the After!

vanillaton39.jpg

And a shot of the area we worked in this update (sorry guys forgot to take a before shot on this one too)!

vanillaton310.jpg

Well that is all for today folks!  I haven't decided on what to work on next and probably wont be able to do much on Vanillaton until the end of the weekend.  In the meantime feel free to leave some comments and I will make sure to do a reply post on the next update!  Feel free to leave any ideas of custom content you would like to see in the next update!

EmergencyManager

Trees, Rock, Water and Sand

The Mods:

Water and Sand:  Coastal Mod by rivit

Rock: Grassy Rock Mod by Heblem

Trees: CPTN07AssortedTreeControllers by cycledogg

Netword Addon Mod (June 2009)

All of these mods are available on the STEX with no dependancies!

My first priority was taking care of some of the traffic we seen in the first post.  The NAM is a wonderful tool to have!

Our traffic overlay after the NAM is put to work.

vanillaton21.jpg

A shot of an area directly affected by the NAM.

vanillaton24.jpg

Remember how boring our Industrial areas were?

vanillaton26.jpg

An overview.  What a difference a few simple mods can make!

vanillaton231.jpg

And a couple detail pictures for those that like 'em!

vanillaton22.jpg

(above) Silver Shores Apartment is the only medium density building over 10 floors at the moment!

(below)  Vanillaton General Hospital and the Two Scoops Corporate Headquarters. (They originally

wanted to stack the buildings on Waffle Street but zoning restrictions forbid putting one building on

top of another)

vanillaton25.jpg

Stay tuned for our next update where I will attempt to improve the cities critical (and not so critical) infrastructure buildings!  And I might even work on a story to go with this city!

Replies to previous comments:

Sandy32000:  I will try not to keep you waiting to long!  Thanks for posting!

EmergencyManager

A Beginning

Welcome to Vanillaton!

A journey to bring custom content to a city!

I want to first say that I am a big fan of this game and have been playing it for years!  I was once a proud member of the simtropolis community but due to real life, I took a long break from this wonderful place.  Needless to say this will be my very first city journal. I also plan on this being a small short journal.  So lets begin.....

THE MISSION:

Build a small city with only the content provided to us by Maxis.  Then transform it into something amazing!  

Beginnings!

The city is born!  Vanillaton is located on a small island in some ocean to the west of someplace!

vanillaton1.jpg

It grows!

And the way the city looks before we get ready to add our custom content!

vanillaton2.jpg

Some Detail Pictures!

Just a few shots for those of you that have forgotten what Maxis gave us to work with!

vanilla4.jpg

vanilla5.jpg

vanillaton6.jpg

vanillaton7.jpg

vanillaton3.jpg

Stay tuned for our first update which should include the NAM, terrain and water mods, and some floral mods!

Also anyone that would like to suggest any custom content feel free! (if it has a ton of dependancies it will probably be ignored)

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

Sign in to follow this  

volume5_md.pngURGENT! We need your help!

We urgently need your help to meet our September goal!

Please consider a donation today.

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation goes to help us keep the site running free.

Enjoy the site!

OK - See STEX Collections