• Moose

New York City

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

My recreation based loosely on the real city.

Entries in this City Journal

krsdwasp

Battery Park City

Well, I think a few people enjoyed my last post.  That was merely the introduction.  The New York City region I am working on is 70 large cities!  I have barely even begun.  Warning!!!  I am only loosely basing this city off of the real New York City, so not everything will be one hundred percent accurate.  I want it to be realistic, but I want to exercise my own creativity, too, and I tend to lean towards grandiose urban planning.  I think on the outskirts I will try more natural, and lower density, development.  Here is a map of the region thus far, showing only the developed areas. 

realnewyork1253653895.png

The area in the first post was actually from the second city I founded on Manhattan Island, which I named Chelsea after one of the neighborhoods there.  Ironically, Chelsea is about the only neighborhood in the city of Chelsea that does not exist yet: it belongs in the green expanse in the north west of the map.  The first city on Manhattan was Battery Park City, right on the tip of the island. 

batteryparkcityapr17183.png

Short of removing the industry from the city, which I am not ready to do until I develop some periphery, density in Battery Park City is already near its maximum, and the entire map is covered.  The population of BPC is just over 400,000. 

batteryparkcityfeb81851.png

This is the heart of the financial district.  The NYSE is in the picture, but because of all the tall buildings, it can not be seen. 

batteryparkcityjul41841.png

In this picture, you can see the NYSE, just barely, in the lower left of the picture. 

batteryparkcitydec25183.png

This is a picture of the main library, which sits across from a sunken plaza. 

batteryparkcitymay11831.png

And here is a picture of the Battery Park City "Blue Jays'" Stadium and the North Cove Marina.  Right next to it is the Blue Jays' Hall of Fame. 

batteryparkcitydec25183g.png

This is an urban cathedral on Christmas night,

batteryparkcityjan21851.pngbatteryparkcityjan21851re.png

and New Year's Eve fireworks over a cruise ship in port on the southern tip of the island. 

batteryparkcityjan21851p.png

batteryparkcityjun29184z.png

The peristyle sits at the end of the the Brooklyn Bridge, which leads over the East River.  There are many parks and public amenities along the waterfront, including the aquarium, and Founder's Park, dedicated to your's truly, from whence my statue gazes out across the river. 

batteryparkcityjul41841f.png

The largest airport in the region is the regional hub here in Battery Park City, though it is actually on the Brooklyn side of the East River, and not actually on Manhattan.  The airport was originally there, but now it has been converted to an Air Force base. 

batteryparkcityjul41841b.png

To be honest, I have no idea how the aircraft take off or land here.  You would need a Harrier to get over the buildings. 

batteryparkcityjan30185.png

These are the mansions on Governor's Island.  No governor lives here, but the mayor's residence is right on the waterfront, facing the Manhattan skyline. 

batteryparkcitydec25183.png

This is the Battery Park City Beach and Public Pool.  It is actually across the street from the Opera House, just out of the picture frame. 

batteryparkcityjun29184.png

Commencement Day at New York University.  There is also a game on at the stadium.  At the top of the photo is the Lever Building, a famous New York landmark, although not in its proper location (it happened to grow there, so I made it a historical landmark).  I just realized that the stupid driving mission things barged in to my photo.  Does anyone know a way to just turn those things off entirely? 

batteryparkcitymay41841.png

Space Shuttle liftoff!!!

batteryparkcityjun29184v.png

This is the new, expanded Museum of Science and Technology.  The old museum campus is visible just below it in the picture. 

batteryparkcityjun29184n.png

batteryparkcityjun29184d.png

Well, the mayor is tired and needs some rest, but as soon as I have more to share, I will post an update.  I would like to start discussing strategy as I go along, but I wanted to bring the journal up to date with what I have created thus far.  Hope you enjoy it! 

krsdwasp

An Introduction

Welcome to my first city journal!  I don't know who, if anyone, will read this, so I suppose a brief introduction is in order, and afterwards, pictures.  I have been playing SimCity games for years, since SimCity 2000.  Until two weeks ago, I was totally unaware of the online community surrounding the game.  I found it by accident; my old copy of SimCity4 wore out, and I had to replace it.  I was looking to replace the Maxis landmarks I had once had, but their website wasn't working that day.  So I looked elsewhere, and on another site found buildings I had never seen before: the Lever building and NYC housing projects by marcszar.  In the description was mentioned something called the "CAM"...and, the rest, as they say, is history.  This was how I discovered the BSC LEX and Simtropolis, which have deprived me of much sleep since. 

My intent here is, I guess, to try to give back a little to the community by sharing my creations.  Its not much, since I have just been introduced to the deeper mysteries of SimCity, but still, this is the tribute I offer to all the people whose labor I have benefited from.  You guys are awesome.  You have completely recreated for me a game that in its original "vanilla" configuration was at times disappointing, at times frustrating, but always left me wanting more.  Now I have found it! 

I am from Chicago originally, but I now live in NY state.  I love both cities, but it is hard to beat NYC it terms of sheer scale.  There is a strong rivalry between New Yorkers and Chicagoans about whose city is best; so in some ways I feel like a traitor to my home city, but NYC was the most interesting region offered in the vanilla version of the game, and I have simply not yet run out of things I want to try to do with it, or found the time to do them. 

I was an architecture student, and I am an avid amateur photographer, so my specific interests with SimCity in general and this region in particular is realism, slightly skewed towards the artistic by my sense aesthetics.  Cities are like the fossilized will of man, in many ways our greatest and most enduring acheivements, but they also hum with the collective lives of millions of individuals. 

chelseasep2662125314492.png

The coast line represented would be the East River side of Manhattan, from roughly 14th Street to nearly 34th Street.  In the upper right hand corner you can just see Madison Square, and near the center, Union Square.  The neighborhoods represented are East Village, Gramercy Park and Kips Bay.  I do not know what the actual character of these neighborhoods is like, I have never seen them, but this is the way they developed in reaction to my city planning. 

chelseanov5571253133180.png

The neighborhood in the center of this cluster is section of the city known as Stuyvesant Town.  I guessed from the map that it was a housing project, and accordingly, I zoned large blocks to try to entice some of the housing project blocks I got from marcszar to develop there.  No dice.  I did get mega buildings, but I evidentally made the neighborhood much too nice.  Oops.  Cities have a life of their own, so I am going to roll with it.  This is now the center of downtown. 

chelseajun1362125314461.png

A closeup of the convention center, which you could see on the left of the previous two photos, surrounded by awesome buildings I have found by various people in the community.  I have downloaded far too many to credit all of the custom work in the city, though I would like to, but if anyone has a question about where I got a particular building, I will happily refer them to the source. 

chelseajun1362125314393.png

Here is the seat of my benevolent administration (just don't tell that to the rioters I had this year).  It is located in a historic part of Greenwich Village.  The buildings surrounding it include many actual historic buildings, such as the Rookery Building and the Wrigley peristyle, both from my home town of Chicago.  This recreation represents roughly the intersection of Greenwich Avenue (to the left of the roundabout) and Sixth Avenue (to the left).  Again, I have no idea what the neighborhood actually looks like, but I liked the site for my town hall. 

chelseaapr2862125314370.png

This is another piece of urban planning of which I was particularly proud, representing Washington Sqaure and the New York University Campus.  On the left is the Arch that sits at the south end of Fifth Avenue.  As it is springtime, there are some very striking flowering trees around the cafe and the cherry trees in the Japanese gardens are blooming.  The actual University is supposed to be represented by the library, the city college, and the stadium; my rendition of a modern urban college campus. 

Well, that is all I have for now.  If anyone has any interest, I will post more of my urban planning work later.  Thanks again to the community that made it all possible! 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0