• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The traditional center of power on Syldav Island before the rise of the Republic of Balboa.

Entries in this City Journal

Retep Molinari

Klov's light rail system is on of the oldest in the Syldav Union. Through the 2000's, the city sought to improve its systems.

klovtransitmap.jpg

One of the biggest problem areas was service to Federal Fields, the city's sports complex. The Blue Line would take passengers from downtown.

klovjan41621296265152.png

There were several problems with this alignment.

1. Trains emerging from the tunnel (right of ballpark) had to navigate multiple curves, slowing the trains.
  2. Trains had to fight with game-day traffic to get through.
  3. Service to the ballpark was indirect.
  4. Drives using parking facilities had to navigate small streets.
It was decided to extend the river-crossing subway into a new hub, build an underground parking facility, and allow trains to emerge further to the west.

The finished project.

klovnov151681296421291.png

The ultra-modern station, next to the tennis courts. Drivers using either of the two near-by bridges can directly access the parking lots, built under the tennis courts and community baseball fields.

klovjan141621296266158.png

The project also tried to leverage the investment by building up the area's commercial offerings. Also, the now defunct subway portal was kept as a historical landmark.

klovjan161621296266173.png

The new portal, west of the Federal Fields Station.

klovnov121681296420443.png

From 1976, Klov had used these single-car trams. Efficient and comfortable, they were very popular with riders. However, they could not connect to make longer trains. Also, these cars were aging and becoming hard to keep in service because of breakdowns.

klovaug171161252295032.png

The RSR2 was chosen as the new light rail train for Klov. Based on the RSR1, built in Shozhod, kept the red coloring of the older trams. The selection was partly based on the continued efforts to revive the economy in former-Bordav, as well as foster ties between regions which were formerly at war.

klovnov91681296420426.png

More updates from Klov are coming very soon!

klovapr121681296271053.png

Retep Molinari

As part of the modernization, a new link was needed between Klov and Muskav.

For full resolution: Right click image + "View image."

syldavfyll.jpg

The cities were previously served my roads that led to Cleche in the south, passing through many times. It was a throwback to the era when all movement into Klov had to pass through customs via Cleche's gates. A faster, shorter link was desperately needed.

Both Klov (left) and Muskav had modern rail facilities. The trick would be to simply connect the two in a more direct fashion.

klovmar151381252981937.png   muskarmay3701256874687.png

Because the Muskav train station laid to the east, there was no need to cross the river to access Klov's downtown core.

newcityaug1017129623400.png

The best road connections out of Muskav, however, laid to the west. While Klov could be reached without a river crossing, such a connection would not take drivers to Klov's downtown core.

newcityaug2017129623467.png

Major earth moving was needed to make the connection. The environment was somewhat restored, with the conservation corps reforesting the construction areas. Also, features such as elevated highway portions allowed natural migrations of animals to continue.

newcityaug1417129623464.png

Until next time!

Retep Molinari

Alov and Sproji both emerged at the end of the 20th century as the economic power houses in Syldav. The city's remained disconnected, however, as Syldav planning law required that each city connect first through the capital, Klov.

With the unification of Syldav, Bordav, and Peotav under Balboa, these laws were no longer followed.

But how to connect Alov (upper left) with Sproji (bottom left)?

syldavfyll.jpg

There are two leading proposals: conventional highway and high-speed rail.

High Speed Rail:

Pros:

• Fastest connection to Sproji; under 30 minutes.
  • Popular among business travelers

• In line with Syldav Union's move away from fossil fuels
Cons:
  • Difficult to connect rail to urban core
  • Mountainous terrain difficult for high speed operation

• Less flexible then roads.

Conventional Highway:

Pros:

• Most flexible option for most travelers.
  • Easily connects to road grid on outskirts of cities.

• Faster, cheaper to build.
Cons:
  • Slower transit times

• Violates Syldav Union's efforts to limit car usage.
  • Larger "footprint" on sensitive forest land.

So, what do you think? What should be built, and why?

Retep Molinari

Hello everyone!

After a flurry of updates this fall, I have kinda fallen off the face of SimEarth! I have just been really busy with working 2 jobs and setting up a new band!

I have a load of work that I look forward to sharing in the near future! In the meantime, hope you take some time to re-look at some of my CJs! Any requests are always welcome.

Thanks!

Retep Molinari

Welcome back!

Here are some shots of Klov, the capital of Syldav, that I took this morning:

NOTE: Most of the photos are in beautiful, high resolution (1920x1080). I highly recommend viewing these images at their original size.

For full resolution: Right click image + "View image"

The State Building, built in 1916. This facility sits downhill from the executive palace.

klovjul311491257025749.png

Most of downtown is still rather quaint. In spite of economic growth (and light rail systems) the area is still mostly low-rise and quite  pedestrian friendly.

klovjul171591269196296.png

More growth has taken place along Klov's river front.  Klokav Tower is by far the tallest building in Klov.

klovmay31591269196004.png

The headquarters of the Klov Police Department. The original brick structure was built in 1920 but was damaged by an earthquake in 1978. The building was rebuilt in 1983 with many of the original bricks.

klovmar181591269195834.png

A streetcar picks up late night workers near a warehouse in northern Klov. The streetcars have been in use for years; the system badly needs larger multi-car light rail vehicles. As of now, however, there is no funding to procure the needed vehicles.

Thanks for checking in!

Retep Molinari

Full Region Shot

A few people have asked me for a full region shot of Central Syldav. I have a new big(ish) screen monitor, so I was able to take a nice, wide, high-resolution picture.

Enjoy!

For full-size view: Right-Click+"View image"

syldavfyll.jpg

Retep Molinari

Snow in Sproji

Snow in Sproji

The people of Sproji woke Friday to one of the largest snow storms in its history. The largest city at over 4,000 feet on Syldav Island, cold weather isn't anything new, but this snow storm covered the city as no other.

School was closed, but games and practices went forward once the weather cleared up.

sprojinov22106126177735.png

These streets are deep in snow, though some people still felt the need to drive to the arcade and bike shop.

sprojidec91061261777493.png

The market is still open to the brave (and hungry!). And the poor blokes at City Hall still have to work.

sprojidec18106126177754o.png

Retep Molinari

Sproji's Oltav Housing District

All of Sproji's downtown development required lots of new housing to be built very quickly. Much of the housing was built in what became known as the Oltav Housing Project, named after the Oltav River.

A concentrated group of high-rise apartment buildings, the District is connected to downtown via three overpasses. This allows the thousands going to work in bus or car to not disrupt the passenger and freight rail that is the lifeblood of the city. The District is also connected by three subway lines.

sprojinov51821263858480.png

The District is the most dense neighborhood in all of Syldav Island, surpassing Balboa City's "Balboa Terrace." In all, 93,000 people (nearly half of the city's population!) lives in the district.

A large K-12 school was built to serve this dense community. With over 6,000 students, it is the largest in Syldav. The fields are also used by local athletic clubs and teams.

sprojijan24671261526461.png

An early morning shot.

sprojidec31128126185570.png

As night falls...

sprojijan91611263774676.png

Of course, not all has changed. Through protective zoning laws, many neighborhoods like this still grace Sproji.

sprojijan27161126377484.png

See you soon!

Retep Molinari

Growth in Sproji

When we last visited Sproji, we saw a city service as the local hub managing the region's raw goods. Here, these goods are processed

sprojinov5051258937473.pngsprojijan27161126377484.pngsprojidec25591258951117.png

But from the 1970s to the present day, Sproji has grown into a major commercial hub and population centre in Syldav. Today, it is the Syldav's second largest city with a population of 230,000.

sprojijul10187126385078.png

The development first started in the  1970s. The now highly developed east side of Sproji had all been warehouses that were used to store the raw materials brought from all around to be processed in the city. Businesses set up shop within these warehouses, but by the 1970s these were becoming over crowded.

All over the largest companies were basing their operations in Alov, which was much more developed. However, Alov was becoming increasingly expensive and transit between the two cities was very slow. Business and city leaders began dreaming up a plan for building a new downtown district from scratch.

The downtown would be framed by the Oltav River. Filthy from factories running week due to agricultural diversions, the Oltav River was neither a food source nor a means of transit. The polluted river was hurting the local industry as well, as crops were suffering from unusable water.

A plan was redirecet to reroute the river under the the city through a series of surface and subsurface canals. The subsurface canals would direct the water away from the industrial core, while the surface canals would house shopping malls and water taxies.

sprojifeb27103126153598.png

A close-up of one of the canal/mall segments.

sprojiaug19184126385993.png

sprojiaug15128126185528.png

sprojinov15189126386402.png

sprojijun11190126386446.png

An extensive tram and subway network was built to support the new downtown. Built with second-hand trams from Balboa, the rail line was built relatively cheaply, since it was incorpatated into the orignal design and building (rather than tunning under buildings or inersting lightrail along an existing road way.

Here, we can see the downtown light rail terminal, a subway station, and the new rail depot.

sprojisep18128126185537.png

In keeping with the subterranian aesthetic of the canal malls, Sproji built two open-top subway stations.

sprojijan22161126377478.png

A dome complex was built in 1989. initally, this served as a convention center. In the winter of 1999-2000, it was announced that a professional baseball team would move to Sproji.

sprojiapr17193126386657.png

With the next update, we'll look at the Oltav Housing District! 

Thanks for reading, and as always, feel free to share your thoughts with me below!

Retep Molinari

Downtown Alov

As I mentioned in the last post, Alov became the financial hub of Syldav as the nation sought to catch up to Bordav and Balboa economically. This post focuses on the city's growth and the principal players.

But first, a quick note: I am very good about writing people back when the leave comments. I tend to do this by leaving a comment of my own on the same page, rather than responding in a new post. So let me hear from you!

On to the content!

alovoct7711263094092.png

The International Quinn Co. building was one of the first modern office developments. Built in 1968, the complex set off a building boom in Alov that made the city Syldav's financial center.

alovaug21641262560720.png

Downtown developed quickly from the 1970s to the 1990s, with cutting-edge architecture. The tall twin towers to the left are the headquarters for Ocean Industries (built, 1993). The conglomerate led by Steven Airo

alovaug19721262576177.png

Steven Airo, in 1993. Airo started his business with a restaurant in Alov. It's wild popularity earned massive profits. These earnings were invested in purchasing ownership shares in suppliers, transport companies, and other related industries. This vertical integration proved very valuable. By 1986, Airo owned a plurality of the farming companies on Syldav Island, in each of the four nations. In addition, Airo owned canneries, transportation services, vehicle manufactures, entertainment hubs, and general electronic companies.

j0422777.jpg

A close up of the base and entry of Ocean Industries' headquarters. The statue honors King Muskav I, the first leader of Syldav. 

alovaug18641262560683.png

Behind the Ocean Industries' headquarters, the company built the Pacific Theater, the first and only dedicated IMAX theater in Syldav.

alovaug19641262560694.png

In 1991, Airo's Ocean Industries purchased Alov's professional baseball team. Historically a poor performing team with little local interest, Airo built the team a new stadium in 1997. In addition, the team acquired Zplag Sicolo, the league's aging star, as well as other key additions.

alovsep18711263094001.png

A strong year from Sicolo pushed Alov to it's first playoff appearance in 23 years, followed by the city's first championship ever!

neg1-533x575.jpg1213892960_2390.jpg

An overview shot of the field. At the time, it was one of the larger venues in Syldav.

alovjul15641262560520.png

A championship can do a lot for a city's interest in sports. Here, we see a new full-sized baseball field and a public swim arena.

alovaug17721262576164.png

Thanks for reading!

Up Next: Alov Metro Transit Map!

Retep Molinari

Welcome back!

We first explored Alov way back here. Let's see what's going on these days.

Close to Klov, Alov was a perfect location for businesses and manufacturers to set up shop as Syldav sought to catch up to Bordav and Balboa economically. You'll hear more about this in the next post! For now...

As Alov grew, so did Syldav's exposure to the city's culture. Some of the most notable local products came from "Alov Hills Brewery." Founded back in 1836, it is located at the very north of town past the suburbs.

northalovjun12371262575.png

Alov Hills Brewery draws its distinctive flavor from the hops which are grown on-site. You can see the lines of hops (being grown on the right of the second image). Some of the barley is grown on side too (to be planted at top) but most comes from the western plains near the border of Peotav.

Hops%20Aurora%20OR.jpg northalovsep20351262575.png

The apple orchard is for Alov Hills Brewery's own brand of hard cider. The heirloom apples, which are grown in this orchard, are mostly inedible as fruit. But as cider, they are without equals.

northalovnov10371262577.png1343627640_b011162465.jpg

The brewery has an outlet pub across the street (the unassuming yellow building). There, local beers as well as drafts from all over the world are served all hours of the day.

northalovdec73812625782.png

Inside the pub.

bar1sm.jpg

As the brewery has grown in popularity, North Alov has become a popular region. Here we can see the light rail expansions that accompanied the new glass lofts growing near the historic housing.

northalovsep28391262578.png

Here is a picture a VT31 tram in action in the streets of North Alov I took this afternoon. The trams runs all the way to downtown, eventually running through a subway under the busy streets (Maybe its time for a transit map? Did anyone think they were getting a post from me without some sort of rail transit? Heh!).

1428045571_2a329e1cf4.jpg

The trams bring tons of thirsty workers to the pub each night. A strip of diners and restaurants has grown up around the brewery at the edge of the farms making this one of the area's most popular destinations. Wouldn't you go there? Heck, I'm going right now...

northalovaug94012625795.png

Enjoy! beer.jpg  buks.jpg

Thanks to Glenni for the wonderful brewery building. You view & download it here. If you liked this post, you should go give him 5 stars on the STEX.

Next-- expansion of downtown Alov!

Retep Molinari

Dear all,

I'm at a bit of a crossroads with my CJs. My primary CJ, Eastern Balboa is close to the modern day. I don't see ever stopping that CJ, but the story lines are close to ending. This CJ is about halfway through the development of its cities.

In the historical descriptions and political story lines in my CJ, I have noted two other countries (well, they were their own countries before winter 2000!). These are Bordav and Peotav. I have not yet made these regions (well, I have but not on this computer) I am more than happy to make new CJs, but I'm not sure that there is sufficient interest in new work from me.

My question is this: Are you, my readers, interested in seeing these regions as well?

Let me know! And thank you all for the support.

Retep Molinari

It's time for a nice, holiday weekened activity!

Scavenger Hunt!

Aright, lets see if the community here can find everything! (The answers are all in the CJ!)

Ready?

What is the name of Klov's sport complex? From what contry to Syldav's European decednats come from? What city has only subways (as opposed to surface light rail)? What is Cleche's econmy based on? When was Muskav's Khor Hall built? What city is built "deep in the mountains?" Where is "Barron Cross Station?" Where were Syldav's first public housing buildings built? What city/town's original City Hall now serves as a meuseum? Where is King's Field?
Retep Molinari

Sproji: Civic Center Historic District

Sproji is a city in southwest Syldav, deep in the mountains.

Now listen up: I don't think I have ever spent so much time working on so much little space. Making all the right buildings grown where I want them to--and then making them all historic--has been a major pain. So, take a bit of time to see what all the sweat is about. I'm pretty proud of this one so far.

For generations, Sproji has been the central market place for the mountainous regions of Syldav. Much of the area is populated but farmers in small hamlets where their specific goods are best grown. Farmers and others have bought their raw goods into Sproji for sale and/or processing. Merchants take these goods to other hamlets as well as larger cities like Klov, Alov, and Muskav.

Here is a photograph of the Sproji Civic Market, so named because City hall sits across the street

sprojisep27051258937145t.png

Another angle of the market.

sprojinov5051258937473.png

Sproji City Hall was built in 1798. It is still used as the official center of government, though most of the city's work happens downtown.

sprojidec25591258951117.png

Old civic center in full, with City Hall, the Civic Market, and the loading docks that have been Sproji's life spring. The loading docks were upgraded in 1910 to their present appearance.

sprojioct16561258950177.png

Sproji's first train terminal was built in 1872, with modernization work bringing the station up to par in 1981. it is located to the west of Civic Center.

sprojifeb21601258951248.png

A neighborhood to the west of civic center, with several styles of traditional Syldav housing.

sprojiapr2501258945658.png

Retep Molinari

City of Alov

Welcome back!

Here we have Alov. The third major city founded in Syldav, it has grown into the nation's largest city. Here are some pictures from around town.

Alov University:

alovoct10211252172237.png

Northern High School, built in 1983:

alovfeb25381257403419.png

Plenty of pretty open space downtown:

alovoct13371257402897.png

Tram to the subway that goes under the hills:

alovmay1251252172956.png

Old City Hall is only good as a museum these days:

alovfeb4381257403270.png

Retep Molinari

Welcome back!

The old city of Muskav went through major changes in the 1990s. With high population growth steming from Muskav's tradition of education and oppertunity, the City leaders finally got together to bring the beautiful town up to date.

Muskav had hosted professional baseball since 1976. However, the team had been playing in a 43 year old, sub-standard complex. Furthermore, the city's high elevation provided for bad weather unsuitable for baseball. A retractable dome stadium--the first ever built on Syldav Island--broke ground in 1996. Four years later, the park opened it's doors for the first time.

The park is situated between downtown to the north and National University to the south-east.

muskarfeb11701256427280.png

A close up.

muskarfeb6611256424169.png

Buses (and commuter train) were the only source of public transit in Muskav for years. But between 1960-1990, Muskav's popular grew from 67,200 to 103,000 with no signs of slowing.

With narrow streets making rapid bus lines or light rail impractical, the city to the (expensive) step to built a new subway system. Though the city's size didn't warrant the expense, the cost was kept down by utilizing a cut-and-cover method of building. Rather than simply boring a tunnel, the City took the opportunity to rebuilt 100-year old water mains, re-pave streets, and beautify the corridors.

muskavtransit.jpg

This style metro station (across from the central train depot) is common throughout the City.

muskarmay3701256874687.png

The modern-styled station at King's field also serves the west side of National University's campus.

muskarapr29701256874603.png

Modernity within tradition: a new tennis court and glass-framed dorms for the University next to 200-year old shops & homes.

muskarjan11611256424057.png

General Hospital (1987) and the top of the Star One Tower (1996) changed the city's profile and utility.

muskarmay25701256874896.png

Of course, some areas are just as they always were...

muskarsep12641256424898.png

Retep Molinari

Hello everyone!

Sorry for not updating this City Journal for over a month! I had been looking for some specific buildings that I needed. the good news is that I got them and have been working all day to get you this update.

If your new to this City Journal, please take some time and check around! So far, we have only looked at Klov and its suburb of Chelche. Now we will get into some of the other cities

Muskav

Muskav's history began around 1778, when the King wanted to found a national university. However, the capital was seen as an unfit urban environment for the spawn of Syldav's elite, and the economic benefits of founding a second large city were appealing. A site in a large valley upstream from Klov was chosen, as goods produced in what would grow into a city could be easily shipped to the capital.

muskarmay3701256429638.png

This building--Khor Hall--was added in 1886. However, the university has remained purposely small and exclusive.

muskarmay26651256426257.png

These row houses the line the north of the university were built in the 1860s for student housing. The gap between the houses to the right are from a arson fire. Set by a student who failed out of the university, a park was put in the building's place as a token effort to help students relax.

muskarmay7701256429905.png

A modern city has grown up around this city, though most of the growth occurred in the 1900s. This movie theater was built in 1942.

muskaroct15641256425992.png

Downtown first went vertical in the 1940s, though to the right two more modern buildings stand. Train service began in 1951 after the challenges of building through the mountains were conquered.

muskarapr11701256427504.png

The prosperity wasn't for everyone, however. A largely agricultural society, many throughout Syldav migrated to Muskav hoping to attend National University and get a better life. Even after the City opened a second university, there were simply too many hopefuls and too few opportunities. Muskav has the dubious honor of being the first city in Syldav to open public housing facilities.

muskarmay1431256418388.png

A highway divides the worlds between the projects and Star One Tower, built in 1996.

muskarmar3431256418326.png

Central City High School

muskarjul14421256418122.png

That's all for now, but I'll soon have some transit maps and a brand new ballpark as Muskav grows!

Retep Molinari

Klov is not the most industrial city we've ever seen. As we saw in the last post, Syldav's capital was a gated city until 1973. But with a population of 250,000, an improved infrastructure was sorely needed.

klovtransitmap.jpg

Across from Baron Cross Station--Klov's primary train depot--is the tram stop. Many tram stops got face lifts in the 1990s, including this glass-covered platform.

klovmar151381252981937.png

At the northern-most downtown station, "old & new" are seen next to each other. The church was built in 1865 and has survived years of bombings from Bourdav and Peotav. The Convention Center, however, was built in the late 1980s. The tram line splits the difference, literally-- the line was first laid in 1935, but was rebuilt in the 1990s in the middle of a boulevard.

klovdec31411252982509.png

A tram passes a warehouse close to the Trav Street Terminal.

The tram Depot at Federal Fields. By the way, that's a terrible shadow on the baseball field. LOOK! The shadow is right pass the mound, which will make a strobe effect on the ball. Any of you who have played baseball will understand!

klovfeb171381252982179.png

Before Baron Cross, Palace Station was the rail transit hub for Klov from 1926. Just two stops from the Executive palace, the connecting line is a subway line that was once a surface tram line. The subway, and its circular entrances, came in 1981. Taxies can come right to the door. Today's commuter trains are a far cry than those who once passed here in the 1920s.

klovsep111421252983145.png

Thanks for looking! I need some buildings off of the old Sim City website, but I am having some tech problems. nevertheless, I hope to have some new cities soon. I have planned for 4 major cities in the region.

Thank you all once more!

Retep Molinari

Glad to see so many you checked out more from Klov in the last post. But like any good capital city, Klov has its secrets. To protect the city from unwanted outside influences, the city remained gated until 1973.

Until 1973, all access to Klov was mitigated by the town of Cleche. Cleche, which literally means "Key Holder" in Syldavin (the Russian/Native hybrid spoken on the island), was where all transit and commerce into the capital was filtered through the Federal Gates.

Today, Cleche is the home of 6,000 residents and a major tourist destination.

Here are the Federal Gates late one winter afternoon.

clecheaug17151252278708.png

Facilities were built around the gate to serve as shops catering to those farmers and others bringing their goods into the capital from all over Syldav Island. While the goods were brought into Klov for their highest value, common folk returning to their homes after bringing their own goods to Klov would again stop in Cleche and purchase the nation's finest goods--at a cheaper rate than from within the capital--to bring back to their families. This system created a very high standard of living for a feudal society.

clecheaug19151252278720.png

The markets are still popular today, for their vintage row shops as much for the great goods still available today.

clechemar28191252279019.png

Klov is no longer a closed city and Cleche has become a typical suburb. However, rail transit--after customs--was allowed into the capital from Cleche since 1943. This station was built that same year. Though late, Syldav's mountainous terrain prohibited the development of a national rail network until technology improved in the 20th century and the economic force of the Republic of Balboa  supported various infrastructure advancements.

clecheaug27151252278769.png

On their way to the capital, Klov.

clechemar30191252279032.png

Thank you for the time to look my work over. I always appreciate it!

Retep Molinari

Scenes from Klov

Welcome back everyone!

Today, some shots from around Klov, the Syldav capital. As always, I love your comments and will respond to each.

A commuter train crosses a river headed towards downtown.

klovaug25791251080400.png

Federal Fields, the home of the major league baseball team and the national tennis championship. That teal coloring looked much better in the 1960s when it was built than it does today. However, the views facing an increasingly developed downtown are stunning, making Federal Fields still one of the premiere sports venues on the island.

klovaug51121252179078.png

Police Headquarters; built in 1946. It was refurbished in the  1980s, but its exterior remains mostly the same.

klovjan21131252179159.png

The Executive Palace on a late summer night.

klovaug18841251083409.png

In the 1980s and 1990s, much of Klov's infrastructure was modernized. The 64 year-old  North Station got a significant overhaul in 1987. The following year, a road overpass was built to allow trains, cars, and buses to flow smoothly. The below photograph is right after the station's overhaul.

klovoct11101251588588v.png

Same scene, one year later, after the building of the overpass.

klovmay211121251589007.png

Klov University and the Botanical Gardens on a balmy summer evening.

klovfeb171131252179189.png

Retep Molinari

Hello everybody!

Just a quick update so you can see where this CJ is heading!

The Executive Palace, home of the government from when it was constructed in 1786 until the reunification in 2000. Currently, it is the home of the symbolic King.

klovoct10311250972774.png

Traditional homes, typically built between 1820-1890, still survive in many neighborhoods, despite decades of earthquakes and wars.

klovapr4611250990840.png

Retep Molinari

Welcome!

Introduction:
Syldav is an island nation located in the eastern Pacific Ocean, near the west coast of the United States. Founded in 1741 by Russian explorers, Syldav established a feudal system and government that was the islands dominant force for over 100 years. With the onset of the Industrial revolution in the 1800s, three regions split off from Syldav, including Eastern Balboa in 1898. While those regions modernized, Syldav long maintained it's quaint rural society until the dawn of the 21st Century and still maintains many of it's characteristics today.

Klov - The capital of Syldav
klovdec31411252982509.png klovaug18841251083409.pngklovaug51121252179078.png

Sproji - A historical yet growing city to the southwest of Syldav.
 sprojidec25591258951117.pngsprojifeb21601258951248.pngsprojinov5051258937473.png

Alov - The financial hub of Syldav
 alovoct7711263094092.pngnorthalovdec73812625782.pngalovsep18711263094001.png

Muskav - A university town to the north
muskarmay3701256429638.pngmuskarfeb6611256424169.pngmuskarmay25701256874896.png

History:
The island of Syldav, where Balboa is located, has been populated by natives since the end of the last ice age, when there existed a land bridge between the island and northern California. The Island was first mapped in 1513 when a component of
Vasco Núñez de Balboa's exploratory party split from the rest of the party. Vasco Núñez de Balboa, located in present-day Panama and having discovered the Pacific Ocean only one year before, sought to establish a trading post further to the north. While a small post, christened Puerto de Balboa, was founded on the southern tip of the island--present day Balboa City.

Russian explorers found the island's northern shores in July 1741, after Peter I of Russia ordered new explorations of the Americans following the discovery of Alaska. A detachment of this expedition landed and then named the island "Syldav." The expedition traveled inland and, finding a rather small native population formed a colonial monarchy detached from Russia. With the Russians assuming control of the entire island, the residents of Puerto de Balboa gave up their technical sovereignty in 1756.

210px-Peter_der-Grosse_1838.jpg
Peter I of Russia

In 1850, with disputes over the economic direction of the nation in the wake of the Industrial Revolution, the Syldav territories on the eastern and western coasts split. The core of Syldav opted to remain a largely agricultural society, while Bordav to the east and Peotav to the west fully embraced the industrial revolution. Syldav maintained it's feudal monarchy, while Bordav and Peotav formed military-industrial backed Oligarchy-styled governments. In 1898, the Republic of Balboa formed along Syldav's southern coast, designed as the first capitalist democracy on Syldav Island.

Political & Economic System:
From 1741 to 1755, the leadership of the Russian detachment slowly adopted to permanent colonization without support from the mother country. Knowledge of western technology and an ambivalence towards the native religions contributed to establishing rapid control over the island. Over these years, the Russian language began to merge with the local tongue.

In 1755, the recently formed Kingdom of Syldav encouraged  the old Spanish settlements. Lacking any true government, the residents of what would become the Republic of Balboa offered no resistance to official Syldav rule in return for autonomy. In 1756, the Kingdom of Syldav had official political control of the entire island.

From 1756 to 1850, Syldav was run as a monarchy   with a feudal economy. Small farms produced goods and were required to bring a percentage of those goods to the capital of Klov, located between the two major rivers in the center of the island. The Island was divided into four principalities: Klov, Bordav, Peotav, and Balboa.

From 1850 until 2000, Syldav only held control of Klov--constantly fighting Bordav and Peotav for sea access and resources, not to mention political sovereignty.

Balboa was allowed to become an independent nation because Syldav needed the power of the industrial revolution to compete with the aggressive regimes in Bordav and Peotav, but was unwilling to compromise it's traditions. Because Balboa had always maintained a degree of independence, Balboa could split yet offer Syldav "most favored nation" status and the needed goods and military might.

Recent History & Reunification:
Throughout the 20th Century, all four of the small nations often fell into combat over resources and territorial disputes. Balboa typically sided with Syldav against Bordav and Peotav. By the end of the century, however, Balboa had the clear economic and political advantage on the island. In 2000, a young and popular leader lead a palace coup rooted in popular demands from all four nations to reunify the island. Following the coup, Balboa's military released quick dispatch to the capitals of Syldav, Peotav and Bordav to overcome the political leadership of the nations.

Following the reunification, Balboa moved it's capital from Balboa City to the more centrally-located Taraville. As a result, Klov was no longer a capital city for the first time in its history. However, in 2006, the Syldav Union re-established a king in the form of a constructional monarchy in an attempt to pacify traditionalists.

Since this reunification, the new Syldav Union has moved to greatly expand pubic works, especially in transportation and education, to promote unity and economic self-reliance.

Geography:
Central Syldav, also called the Principality of Klov, is located in the center of Syldav Island. the lowest land in the region sits at 2,000 feet above sea level. Klov, the former capital city, sits where the two rivers meet before following south to Taraville and Balboa City.

centralsyldav1250829285.png

Thanks for reading! I can't wait to post the actual cities!