• Moose
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entry
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

We're talking about urban sprawl, suburban sprawl, exurban sprawl, and rural sprawl in Kanneberg County, an expansive tract of land located in central North Carolina on the I-77 corridor. ...

Entries in this City Journal

pickled_pig

Well, I've not constructed a city journal in ages, namely due to getting a new computer - preloaded with that great pleasure we have come to know as Windows Vista - and henceforth starting my plugins folder from scratch and dealing with the infamous Crash To Desktop bug that plagues seemingly most modern dual-core or quad-core machines.

Now that the CTD bug is seemingly out of the way, it's time to get started on a new City Journal.  I believe this is my sixth of these, following the Northern-themed Jackson County, the Mid-Atlantic inspired Winston County, and the Southern-fried Travels Down I-85, and two others that were so rudimentary in playing style they aren't worth mentioning.  This journal, Kanneberg County, will follow in the legacy of Travels Down I-85, examining the urban, suburban, and rural sprawl that has shown up on a stretch of an Interstate highway - namely, here, a fictional I-77.  The real I-77 travels from Columbia, South Carolina up to Ohio via North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.  In this journal, we are going to be considering a fictional slab of I-77 somewhere in the center of North Carolina.

It should be noted that there will be a major deviation from reality in this journal that I have made is every one of my other journals.  Despite the handy 50-feet-per-tile metric, my city journals don't follow the United States convention of mileage-based exit numbering, instead using the simpler sequential exit numbering that I believe only exists as of now in Connecticut, Massachussetts, and Rhode Island.  Thus exit 46 on I-77 doesn't mean we are 46 miles from the southernmost point of the Interstate, but we are 46 exits (and thusly closer to, say, a hundred miles) from the southernmost point.

Unlike previous journals I've made, I'm not entering this one with a master plan.  I've built two small rural towns that are fueled by agriculture and manufacturing, and plan to improvise the region as I build it.  We'll still see a lot of roadgeekery - just not all those elaborate planning maps that were most of my last CJ.

We're going to start in Watford.  A town of about twenty thousand people, it is in a very difficult economic time.  Potatoes and hardware products have been its major economic contribution, but with threats of factories moving to China and Indonesia, this town's stability is in question.

The Watford Bypass (NC-198) snakes around the city proper, about a mile and a half from the city center.  The vast majority of it is limited-access, but after four exits and about two miles, it suddenly becomes a two-lane highway with at-grade intersections.  But that's for later.  For now, let's prepare to go on a tour of Watford itself.

39718592.jpg

We will be headed in a general northerly direction towards the center of Watford over the next two updates.  Loki Road does not sport a North Carolina highway shield, and Watford is served by exactly three North Carolina highways.  First off, we have NC-198, which we've seen already as the bypass that surrounds the town at a distance.  The other roads are NC-112 and NC-67, which we will see in due time, as both of them are multiplexed throughout the center of town on a thin two-lane street.

40431824.jpg

Once we leave the off-ramp, we are greeted with a low speed limit, a beacon of nearby civilization.

sl35.jpg

28317568.jpg

79644870.jpg

72220883.jpg

92453268.jpg

In the next update, we'll head to the olde centre of towne, via a right turn onto Flat Rock Road and through the remnants of the waterfront industrial district.  Until then, comments are excellent.  Searing criticism is excellent as well.  No problem with some high praise either.  But it's your opinion, not mine.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0