• Moose
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The Imperial Kingdom of Royal Collanden (More commonly referred to as Collanden) is a cultural mix of Swedish, English and French influences.

Entries in this City Journal

jrhnemo

Collanden Arts Festival

COL_banner1WHITE.jpg

Hi everyone!

For those of you following the Official Collanden Blog, you saw this CNN Daily News update:

COL-new2.jpg

Collanden to hold festival in honor of the arts

Department of Culture Secretary Robin Sibelius announced today that a nationwide festival will be held in honor of the arts. Starting August 30th and continuing through Saturday of that week, the event promises to be full of creativity and fun.

"The festival will be have many of the worlds best performers, and will include performances of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture performend by the Geneva Symphony Orchestra, Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 performend by Martha Argerich, and much more".

At the end of the festival, the Department of Foreign Affairs in cooperation with the Geneva Parks Foundation will hold an event showcasing the League of Nations members.

Depending on how long the League Summit lasts, leaders from all member nations are invited to join the celebration.

Well, due to a lack of free time, I haven't been able to post an update hear about the festival, but better late than never, I suppose! But I'm sure you know what I need to take care of first...

Replies

Bluemoose: Thanks!

Shyguy from SC4D: Thank you! Planning these suburbs was difficult, but I tried to make it look as unplanned as possible. 2.gif

iGod: After seeing your comment, I looked at the soundwalls and you are absolutely right. They're ridiculously huge! I'm going to use different ones from now on.

ArtsFestLogo09.jpg

Collanden Arts Festival

All around the city, posters for the 2009 Collanden Arts Festival can bee seen, encoraging citizens to take part in the festivities. Geneva, being the cultural center that it is, hosted close to 90 venues for the entertainment of the public. Events such as the Parade of Lights, seen below, drew crowds of over 4,000 people.

Paradeoflights.jpg

Stadium.jpg

The Greater Geneva Field Band (GGFB) practices in preparation for a midnight perfromance of this season's show, "Gypsy Tapestries: Weavers of Life".

Now, let's enjoy a performance of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, performed by Martha Argerich and the Geneva Symphony Orchestra.

Next up, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, performend by the Geneva Symphony Orchestra:

I hope you enjoyed the update...until next time!

-Jason

jrhnemo

Update 3: Stafford

COL_banner1WHITE.jpg

Hello again! Today, I finally have a true update. We'll be taking a look at the suburb of Stafford, a place filled with vibrancy and life. I won't be doing formal replies today, so let's get started...

Update 3: Stafford

Stafford_overview1.jpg

Located just across the English River, Stafford is the first sign of suburbia you'll see if you're traveling north from downtown. Although buildings are fairly dense along the riverside, trees become much more plentiful as you continue past H1.

Eastern-fire-station1.jpg

Stafford fire station and city offices. Constructed in 1806, it is one of the oldest buildings in the area.

Bridge1.jpg

One of the only ways to access Geneva Island and downtown is through the Lorrimar Bridge, seen above.

Mayberry_suites1.jpg

Mayberry Suites, an apartment building built in 2001, featuring wonderful views of the city.

H1_interchange1.jpg

H1 intersects with a major road.

Constructed in 1963, Highway-1 is one of the most important transportation networks in the nation. It links industry with Port Geneva, where goods can then be shipped around the world.

Rail_bridge1.jpg

Rail crosses the English River.

Pond1.jpg

H1 crosses a small pond.

Rails1.jpg

A small set of tracks links back up with the mainline.

Stafford_overview2.jpg

The same picutre, but with a broader view.

Stafford_suburbs1.jpg

Small, wooded developments outside the city. Not too far from here, we'll start to see some farms...

Stafford_mall1.jpg

A large shopping mall near the English River. It seems strange that there's no cars in the parking lot...hmm...

Stafford_industrial1.jpg

Some industry among the many residential developments.

Stafford_industrial2.jpg

Stafford_industrial3.jpg

A passenger station along a line of the HMRR (Houghton Mifflin Railroad).

I hope you enjoyed the update. More to come soon!

jrhnemo

COL_banner1WHITE.jpg

Hello everyone! Sorry it's been so long since the last update. I have pictures for you that should be up in the coming week, so stay on the lookout for that!

Meanwhile, check out the new Official Collanden Blog for daily news updates, stories about my everyday life, construction photos of Collanden, and letters from the Prime Minister himself. I hope to see you there!

The blog can be found at: www.blogs.simtropolis.com/collanden

Replies:

Psander5: Thanks for the comment! The streetcar network is one of my favorite aspects of downtown Geneva. Maybe you'll enjoy the rail that will be showcased next update, as well.

Gilikov1994: Wow, what a compliment! I hope to see you back here at Collanden! And don't forget to check out the blog if you're looking for more!

Alberta13: That's a wonderful comment! Thanks so much for the kind words.

-Jason

jrhnemo

COL_banner1WHITE.jpg

I think it's about time I give another update! When I haven't been staying up at the lake, I've been busy working on downtown Geneva. Before I give you a small tour, I should reply to your nice comments:

Replies

Stoney525: I use SFBT's Dentei Tram Stations, which can be found here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2023

CarmineHilton: It's nice to see you here! Unfortunately, I will not be returning to the SCJU.

th1nker25: Thanks, the Disney Concert Hall is a great BAT. I look forward to working in the GE with you. 1.gif

Update 2: Downtown Geneva

Downtown_overview1.jpg

An overview of downtown Geneva.

Downtown Geneva is a bustling center of commerce in an already lively city.

Downtown1.jpg

Some of the more prominent towers in downtown.

Downtown is host to some of Collanden's tallest buildings. From left to right: 76 Columbia St., 45 Cartier Ave. (Royal Bank of Collanden HQ), 88 Avierna St. (Geneva's tallest building).

GLR1.jpg

A tram line runs through the city.

Geneva is proud of its use of trams (Also known in the city as streetcars). Many citizens that would otherwise take cars use the system daily to travel to work, home, school, etc.

Nat_lib1.jpg

The National Library.

Collanden's National Library, constructed during the Swedish rule originially as a church, now houses thousands of historical books and documents. Underground, a heavily guarded vault contains all of Collanden's laws currently in effect.

StLucas1.jpg

The Church of St. Lucas, seen here at night.

Also constructed during the Swedish rule was the Church of St. Lucas. It is still in use today, and is one of Geneva's largest houses of worship.

Queens_hotel1.jpg

Queens Hotel, not-so-coincidentally located on Queens St.

The Queens Hotel was built shortly after World War I. Similar to New York City's "Waldor Astoria", the Queens Hotel has had hundreds of politicians, celebreties, and more within its walls, including 7 Presidents of the United States, 15 Prime Ministers of Collanden, and 8 Prime Ministers of England.

GLR2.jpg

Another tram line sneaks through the city.

I hope you enjoyed the update! Next update, we explore Quen Ophelia's Wintergarden Estate! Until next time...

jrhnemo

COL_banner1WHITE.jpg

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! Today, we take a look into one of the oldest neighborhoods in Geneva: Watership. But first...

Replies

Tankmank: Thanks for visiting! I enjoyed writing the history. It took a lot of thought, but it was worth it.

Psander5: Wow, what I pleasent surprise to see you here! I'm looking forward to seeing your comments as the CJ progresses.

Pipishere: Thanks! I hope to see you again soon.

Update 1: Touring Watership

Watership is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Collanden's capital, Geneva. It is home to several government administration buildings, and is filled with homes and businesses from the English, French, Swedish, and modern rule.

Market1.jpg

What could be considered the center of Watership. The market, seen in the center, is in fact one of the busiest in the entire capital city. It's closed for the Sunday today, it seems.

While Watership is a mainly residential neighborhood, there are some prominent businesses. Several branches of "Hilton's Hotel" can be seen in many of the pictures in the update, including the one above. Other sucessful companies in the area include "HSBC Bank", Link's Department Store", and "The Label Shoppe Printing and Packaging".

Traffic1.jpg

Congestion along Burne St.

The neighborhood, along with the rest of the city, is home to an extensive network of bus stops. It's one of the most popluar methods of commute, second only to pedestrian traffic. Rumors have spread that an upgrade of the street infrastructure is on the way, but have yet to be confirmed.

Former_palace1.jpg

The former palace of the ruling monarch.

Watership is home to several tourist attractions. The most popular, however, is the former palace of the ruling monarch, deemed simply Watership Palace, shown above. The last monarch to live in the palace was King Arthur X, who demanded a new palace away from the city. His wish was granted, and the royal family has lived in the Wintergarden Estate for over 100 years. Today, the Watership Palace has been converted into a museum.

Park_by_water1.jpg

Because of the loose, muddy soil near the English River, a series of riverside parks were built, after a disaster in 1909 sent homes sliding into the water.

Grand_council1.jpg

The Grand Council building.

The Grand Council is the legislative body of the Collandeen government. Inside, Imperial Representatives are currently voting on a proposal to demolish several buildings in order to make room for a new residential high-rise. The tower would be the first of its kind in Watership.

Night1.jpg

A night shot of the city. The sun doesn't set until quite late in the summertime in Collanden.

Convention_center1.jpg

The Geneva Convention Center, on the outside of Watership (Near downtown).

Canal2.jpg

Streetcar traffic by the canal is quite heavy, especially in the summer, when tourists flock to the city.

Canal3_night.jpg

The Watership Canal at night.

Concert_hall1.jpg

The Bernstein Concert Hall, by the English River.

Admin_building.jpg

The government's Administration Building look beautiful at night.

That's all I have for now. See you next update!

jrhnemo

COL_banner1WHITE.jpg

The Imperial Kingdom of Royal Collanden (More commonly referred to as simply Collanden) is a cultural mix of Swedish, English, and French influences. Located on Colltineenanstein island, it is one of the most prosperous countries in the world. From the rolling fields of Middleshire, to the bustling captial of Geneva, the nation is filled with life. Enjoy your stay as we explore Collanden's cities, attractions, politics, arts, and natural wonders.

Basic Information

Population: 1, 245, 729

Goverment: Constiutional Monarchy

Prime Minister: Gordon Kristoffer

Languages: English, Swedish

Monarch: Queen Ophelia XIII

Currency: Alliant

GDP Per Capita: 47,000

History

100 A.D. to 1020: The first villages appear on Colltineenanstein Island, mostly clustered around what is today known as the Swedish river. They remain mostly self-sufficient. Unfortunately, this prevented much growth.

1123: England claims Colltineenanstein Island as a colony, and begans taxing the few farmers and merchants living the sparsely populated area. The new influx of citizens boosts the island's population dramatically.

ecw2.jpg

1598: France begins a war with England in order to claim Colltineenanstein's natural resources, specifically potatoes, wheat, and oats. The two nations battled through the harsh winter. The war ended with a French victory.

1603: The current French monarch's adviser informs him that Sweden was planning an attempt to take over Colltineenanstein Island. However, the adviser must have been misinformed, because this was entirely false. As exptected, the French immediately declared war. The two fought from the spring of that year, until November, when the Swedish began to take the battle onto Colltineenanstein. The French, knowing the consequences of a battle in winter, backed down. Sweden ultimately took over the island.

1681: Sweden focused much of its efforts and funds toward Colltineenanstein. After years of being poorly treated and overly taxed by the French and the English, Sweden did an astounding job at preparing the nation for the difficult road ahead.

1682: The people of Colltineenanstien gathered to create a document, peacefully asking to secede from Swedish rule. Considering the island's population was rising so rapidly, it could barely support it, the Swedish government agreed. The new nation was known as Collanden.

1879: Collanden officially became a Constitutional Monarchy.

1914: After much consideration, Collanden decided to remain neutral during World War I. However, they did not necessarily succeed, and ended up joining England in several battles.

800px-Heilbronn_1945_US_Army_retouched-2

1939: Following in England's, the United States', and many other countries' lead, Collanden declares war on Germany. Unfortunately, air raids destroyed much of Collanden's historical buildings. Today, you can find Post-war, modern buildings mixed with wall-to-wall businesses and homes that have existed for a century or more.

Map

roughmap-1.jpg

This crude map shows the location of Collanden. The island is located to the east of Scotland. My apologies if you can't see it very well. There will be better maps to come, I promise!

Flag

COL_flag.gif

Preview Pictures

Canal1.jpg

DefenseDept1.jpg

Open_Subway.jpg

See you next update!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0