• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Journey with a Journalist tasked to cover the BrookStone Region as the area grows from small fishing and logging region to a bustling commerce center.

Entries in this City Journal

CTMandR

BrookStoneRegionRepliesBanner2.jpg

iGod: Thanks! I’ve been trying to make space in Old Calgary, I may be able to squeeze in another track. Thanks for voting, too!

TekindusT: Thanks for voting! I think all the development stopped in part because of such little space, but, thanks for the compliment! I’ll certainly keep it in my for some future cities

Simcitymasterman: Thanks for voting! I’m not really making a BrookStone Region league, I just happened to build two stadiums in updates. However, I’ll keep your suggestion in mind! Also, I’ll address that hill suggestion in the following post.

Plane-Crash12000: Thanks! That train is part of the Amtrak Passenger Locomotive and Passenger Car set by BigRedFish, The download can be found Here, and here, respectively.

_marsh_: Thanks for voting! I like your idea of having a smaller marina in the area which I was gonna fill in, I think you’ll find a little of that at work in the following photos. I also like the idea of having a small reservation area, however, it’s hard deciding where that’ll be, since building the boardwalk means connecting it to existing ones on both sides. I’ll see what I can do about a marine preservation area.

Putting a monument on the hill would be a nice idea, I think making a city park out of it would be really cool, but I also think that, at the same time, It would not help in building a connection between New and Old Calgary. Connecting New and Old would mean a lot more economic development. The idea of a tall sort of building on top of the hill is still very open to me…er, city council, though!

Newyorkcityrocks92: Thanks for voting! Also, thanks for reading! Hopefull you can drop by every month or so, when I update

Jose40292: Yes, I agree that the area is starting to look like Hong Kong, however, keep in mind that Honk Kong is a city of Seven Million People, Calgary on the other hand, has hardly a hundred thousand. I would also like to note that Calgary is a city that is not used to such tall buildings, these buildings have been constructed within only the past couple of years, meaning that The city of Calgary has had to hash together quick plans to get people moving. The idea of bringing the highway underground is a great idea, but also costly (Think about how much the big dig went over budget). For now, the maxis 6-lane, 2-tile wide highway seems to be doing its job quite well, and the off-ramps are still not congested. Though it would be a good idea to upgrade to high-capacity off-ramps in certain places, New Calgary is in such a confined space that even those would take up a good deal of space.

As far as subways are concerned, there are two notable subways- one in New Calgary, which transports people from the HSR to various other parts, and a separate one that serves Old Calgary. Currently, those routes do make money, and move people well, in conjunction with the tramways.

As far as the HSR is concerned, I don’t think I’ve shown in my CJ yet, but the area between Old Calgary and the HSR terminus is in fact a body of water, which you’ll be able to see later on. That complicates trying to bring development there exponentially. The subway already does it’s job by ferrying commuters to the HSR station, it is just that the two areas are visually completely separated.

The HSR system currently in place is an multiple-city connector already, providing a link to two of the most populated cities in the BrookStone Region. It has the amount of stops it has because the line itself is rather small, spanning only about a large tile’s length. Therefore, it makes more sense to have more stops, so that in case the local rail gets crowded, the HSR can pick up the traffic. The HSR as I’m using it is not exactly a long-distance mover, the region I play on can hardly be considered medium, or large.

I do know of road-top mass transit options, and I have a tendency not to use them, as I think they disrupt the sidewalk and therefore look unrealistic. Keep in mind, Calgary is a new big city, it has not had time to develop all the things you mentioned. Thank you for commenting though! I have taken much of what you said into account, and I’ll address some of it in the upcoming post.

In Other News: The council has voted to build the new marina! Construction has already started, and is expected to continue for a few months. Also, everyone has been up and at arms about how to link New and Old Calgary, and what to do with that crummy hill sitting between them, and so, to address that, I present…

BrookStoneRegionBanner2.jpg

Allright, so, I think the main reason why there seems to be a lot of different opinions is that no one really has the full view. So I have compiled Old and New Calgary, and everything in between, into one image!

Update45_OverviewMapcopy.jpg

(Clickable Link!)

Ta-da! Just to Clarify, the Brown/Orange outlined areas indicate industrial development. The Red line indicates a highway, with dots being on/offramps. The Blue line indicates the HSR, with dots being the stops.

Ok, so, the big two things dividing Old Calgary and New Calgary is the body of water (Blue star thingy) and the big hill. The body of water is rather large, yet shallow and inaccessible, which means it cannot be used as a harbor, but too large to fill in. The hill is rather steep, even more so than the ones around Old Calgary. These are the two land/water masses that must be dealt with in order to keep up growth.

Update45_OverviewSubwayMapcopy.jpg

(Clickable Link!)

Here you can see the mass transit lines of Calgary. Blue is sub terrain, and green is above terrain. Dots indicate stops. The two terminus stops in the New Calgary line are in fact HSR stops as well. The terminus stop for Old Calgary is the HSR/Rail terminus.

This brings me to my favorite section….

This is where you can Vote!

The vote today is very simple. Based on the above photos,

How do we connect Old and New?

Keep in mind, Rail lines, roads, and a highway already connect Old and New Calgary, along with a slew of ferries. In order to truly connect the two sides, we need to develop them. However, how is development to occur when there is a hill, a lake, and two industrial complexes in the way? I’m leaving this open-ended, and if there aren’t any suggestions, I can just divide Old and New Calgary into separate cities.

Also, don’t wanna leave you guys without some other photos, so the new Marina is progressing well!

Update45_0003.jpg

The new Yacht club is coming along well. Most spaces are already filled!

Update45_0005.jpg

Temporary power lines replace the old underground ones while earth moving operations happen to dredge and fill the bay.

Update45_0006.jpg

An overview of how things are turning out.

Until next time everyone!

CTMandR

BrookStoneRegionRepliesBanner.jpg

k50dude: Thanks for the comment! I thought Trenton needed a revamping; indeed, I need to go back to many of my towns and cities and update them, they seem very rudimentary to me right now. Also, thanks for voting!

_marsh_: Thanks for voting!

iGod: Thanks for voting! Also, good catch with the railway, I never realized it looked unrealistic, thanks!

TekindusT: Thanks for the comment & voting! Thankfully I got the amount of taller buildings right, I’m always trying to balance the super-tall with the mid-rises and suburbs.

Wakkaolaf53: Thanks for the comment and voting!

Gotsomemilk: Thanks for the comment!

Kench: Thanks for voting!

Simcitymasterman: Haha, having both could really boost tourism, but the Trenton

Badgers are going to have to get real good to become popular! Thanks for voting

Jockyjack7: Thanks for voting!

BrookstoneRegionBanner.jpg

After a delicious Sandwich, I had decided where I was going, to Calgary, since that would probably be where  I could most easily find a camera. I was thinking a Nikon, since I heard from my friends that Nikon built the best all-around cameras. I hopped on a tram and made my way towards Trenton Main Station

Update44_0001.jpg

Within 10 minutes I was boarding at Main Station

Update44_0002.jpg

The train started off, and made it way towards Lockheart, coming parallel to the

Trenton-Calgary Highway

Update44_0003.jpg

Soon, the train had arrived in Lockheart, and was stopping at the only non-industrial stop in the city. I watched most of the people on the train get off, and a whole new set get on. After a while, the train started moving again

Update44_0006.jpg

I could see that even Lockheart was getting a downtown, with new buildings going up. Further on, I could see Lockheart’s ever-expanding surburbs, as being situated between Calgary and Trenton is very desirable

Update44_0007.jpg

These suburbs were among the most high-end in the region, and many of the people that resided here worked in the executive offices of Calgary or Trenton

Update44_0008.jpg

The lone tower is in fact composed of multi-story penthouses, and was the only tower that could get permission to build

Update44_0009.jpg

The train started moving out of Lockheart suburbs, and into the darker, northern half.

Update44_0010.jpg

The northern half of Lockheart composed mainly of dirty industry, and because it was in a valley, much of the smog didn’t leave the area, or go into the nearby suburbs. That left the air looking black on days, blotting out the sun

Update44_0012.jpg

I almost forgot, I picked up a flier with an aerial view at the train station.

After another half hour, the train finally arrived in Calgary, at the New Calgary station. I got off, and still being around 1:30, decided to walk around. As I started walking, I became more and more pleasantly surprised.

Update44_0016.jpg

I saw first the new Stadium for Calgary’s official team, the Calgary Cardinal’s. The new stadium was immense, holding (I would guess) around 10,000 people.

Update44_0015.jpg

I also saw the new convention center! I actually went inside and met up with a manager there, who gladly gave me a tour. He said that the Convention center is the only one in The BrookStone Region, and that it hosts occaisions almost constantly, also constantly bringing in people from around the region and Country.

Update44_0014.jpg

Lastly, I saw Calgary’s new pier, which even featured an arcade! The new pier was hustling and bustling with people, many of whom were taking boat rides.

Update44_0017.jpg

I finally made my way into New Calgary, and started an honest search for a nice camera I could use.

Update44_0018.jpg

I made my way through the maze of buildings, and arrived at shopitol tower, a classical office building that has been converted into a shopping center. No luck here, not even a camera over $100. So, I hopped on a tram and made my way farther into downtown

Update44_0019.jpg

I came upon a rather nice one, right in the center of downtown. The Francis-Bernard shopping center was known for its high-end imported goods. However, once again, I found nothing that fit me well. Although I did find the worlds most expensive mass-produced camera. At $12,000, it was far more than I could chew down in a camera.

Update44_0020.jpg

I actually encountered the most luck at Prince, a small shopping center which had exactly what I needed, a Nikon D5000, at around $800. It was great, so I took up the purchase and made my way out of the store. I got back on the tram, and headed towards New Calgary’s High-Speed rail station

Update44_0022.jpg

See, I wasn’t supposed to be shopping around in Calgary, I had orders from my boss to go down and cover a recent ‘oil-related’ story in Spokane.

Update44_0023.jpg

So, I got on the high-speed rail, and started racing towards old Calgary.

Update44_0025.jpg

As the train picked up speed, I called my boss to ask if I could cover some new proposals in Calgary, and he said sure, as long as I didn’t stay the night. Looks like I’ll be sleeping on the train.

Update44_0027.jpg

Soon, I reached the Calgary Main Terminus, the last stop for the High Speed Rail in Calgary, I took the subway down into old Calgary, where many of the governmental buildings for Calgary still functioned.

Update44_0034.jpg

I popped into the meeting room of Calgary’s town hall. and sat in for a large proposal meeting. The first one was for the waterfront that I had recently just toured. A private company was offering to buy up coastal land and developing it, promising more business and money for the city of Calgary

This is where you can vote!

(Proposal 1) A development company is offering to buy up coastal land and develop it, promising the City of Calgary more income and a larger population. Many agree with it, saying it will join two major parts of Calgary, and create a continuous boardwalk. Naysayers warn that building such an expansive waterfront will surely eliminate much of Calgary’s sea life.

Update44_0028.jpg

Therefore, there are 3 options:

A)    Develop the area! It will be good for business, and more residents will move in, making Calgary more money!

B)     Develop the area, but use income towards preserving Marine life in Calgary. Choosing this option means that a certain percentage made off of tourism and taxes on the waterfront will go towards preserving wildlife in the waters.

C)    Don’t build it. The project will ruin what remains of Calgary’s natural beauty!

This is also where you can vote!

(Proposal 2) The next proposal was concerning Calgary’s high-speed rail, and whether it’s location away from Old Calgary is hindering commuting between the two major neighborhoods in Calgary.

Update44_0033.jpg

A subway already runs from the Terminus Station into Old Calgary, however, some still say that bringing the Terminus Station into Old Calgary will dramatically help. Therefore, there are 3 options

A)    Build a high-speed rail line straight into Old Calgary, merging it with the train station that already exists

B)     Build a high-speed rail line as close to Old Calgary as possible, and have mass transit options leading into the city

C)    The terminus is lose enough where it is.

I could’nt stay for voting, as it was getting awfully late. I hurriedly left City hall, and jumped on a train to Spokane. It was already very dark outside.

Update44_0031.jpg

I settled in, and took a look at my new camera. It was very nice, and I started playing around with it as the train headed towards Spokane.

Update44_0032.jpg

I’ll have to see what this whole oil calamity is about myself when I get there.

--

That’s all for this time! Sorry for the long wait, however, hopefully this immense update compensates! Until next time! Also, I really got into night-time mosaics, so here's one last of Calgary at night, then i'll take a break, I think you guys might be getting tired of them

Calgary_Mosaic_NightPt1.jpg

Calgary_Mosaic_NightPt2.jpg

Calgary_Mosaic_NightPt3.jpg

Heres a [Linkie] for those who want to see it in its full glory!

CTMandR

BrookStoneRegionRepliesBanner3.jpg

TekindusT: Thanks! Also, I learned about those effects from your CJ, since you did such a good job implementing the effect

K50dude: Thank you! Hopefully my Photoshop skills will improve from here, I think this is just the beginning

Daan300: Thanks!

Simcitymasterman: Thanks for commenting! I’m a little unsure about hosting the simlympics, space is running tight throughout the region, and I don’t think I have space for a venue. However, I will definitely consider it!

Naftixe: Thank you! I’ll be sure to use that little badge, its an honor being on the board!

In Other News: Hooray! IndexIcon.gif Thats me, so thanks for commenting guys!

BrookStoneRegionBanner3.jpg

I woke up bright and early in the morning, not from an alarm clock, but from my cell phone, which was incessantly ringing. I picked up, and heard that I had to go do another story on Trenton, because apparently there was a lot of development there.

Update43_0002.jpg

So, I crawled out of bed and left the little bed n’ breakfast to retrace my steps.

Update43_0003.jpg

I got back on the ferry, and crossed the small bay again.

Update43_0004.jpg

I almost missed the train leaving, but when I got on I settled in. Maybe I should buy a camera. When the train entered TrentonCity lines, I started noticing different things.

[update43_0005]Update43_0005.jpg

Beginning with the new Industrial Park! This was part of zone “D”, which was voted on in Trenton earlier.

Update43_0006.jpg

Also present was the new Trenton Minor-league Stadium! This was built in conjunction with the formation of Trenton’s own baseball team, the Trenton Badgers! I stopped by to get a talk with the team’s coach, I thought it would be a good writing piece for the newspaper.

The coach told me that the team actually purchased more land than they needed for the stadium, because they wanted to add a different (football) field, or expand their existing stadium. The Coach said he put the vote up with the council, and that they were voting on it very soon. He also mentioned that the stadium was a part-time baseball stadium and part-time soccer stadium.

The Trenton Badgers want to add a new stadium or expand their existing stadium! So, they’ve put it up to vote with the Trenton city council, where you (the residents!) can vote!

A)    Add a new football stadium, and convert the existing stadium to a permanent baseball stadium. (They can use the football stadium for soccer).

B)    Expand the Existing Stadium. It really should hold more people, after all, Trenton is a growing city.

C)    A or B, but add more parking lots next to it. This is costly, but may attract more people to the games, which means more tourists, which means more money!

D)    Don’t build either. The land can be used more effectively, like for public space.

After I was done talking, I hopped on a nearby Tram to go to downtown Trenton.

Update43_0007.jpg

I passed by another industrial park, which was actually converted from a farm. Seems like Trenton is really industrializing itself. However, that was nothing compared to what I saw next.

Update43_0018.jpg

Update43_0017.jpg

(A full-size pic can be found Here)

Downtown Trenton was stunning! There was a great plethora of new commercial buildings going up, as well as apartments! I stuck on the tram, and started making my way towards the government buildings.

Update43_0019.jpg

I found my way to city hall, and met up with the mayor! He started talking about his plan to modernize Trenton, and supercede Calgary and LexingtonBay! He told me Trenton had plenty of new attractions, including a new marina, a Stock exchange, a Convention center, and a ‘Royal’ library! He also showed me a shot of Trenton’s waterfront, too.

Update43_0020.jpg

It was an amazing photograph, and clearly, Trenton was not a small town anymore. The mayor told me that there was another place he wanted to bring into downtown, but was not doing as well.

Update43_0021.jpg

The mayor told me that a new marina had been built West of downtown Trenton, but that development there was still not as good. He was looking for ways to improve the area, but now could only think of adding a new tram line. I recommended that he create more suburbs to encourage commercial growth there. The mayor said he would consider it, and he was asking some of his advisors as well. Finally, the mayor showed me a new suburb that was built.

Update43_0012.jpg

He said this suburb was developing really well, and attracting very ritzy members of society

Update43_0013.jpg

I thanked the mayor for the time to talk with me and left. I noticed it was only noon, so I decided to stop by a new chain hotel, the Westing Hotel, renowned for the restaurants inside. It also had a lot of public amenities.

Update43_0022.jpg

I sat down, ordered a sandwich, and debated where I would go to next. Maybe find a good camera to buy.

Hey everyone! So that’s it for that update, I’m thinking about going to another big city for the next update, so our little journalist can find a suitable camera. Also, I did a major revamping of downtown Trenton since the last update, so I gotta link for all you who want to see an updated night shot! It can be seen Here.

Until next time!

CTMandR

k50dude: Those I looked up on the STEX, search for "Equinox", as he made the Battleship, sub, and Carrier. The destroyers were made by Ill Tonkso. Also, thanks for voting! I'll probably go back to Trenton, and just post what it looks like.

TekindusT: Thanks! haha, quite a few people missed the Trenton update, I suppose.

Mars250: Thanks for voting! Most of the naval stuff came from the STEX, under a search for "Military" or "Navy"

CHR: Thanks for voting! also, hope you stick around to see some updates!

wakkaolaf53: haha, indeed it is, I'm hoping i'll start updating regularly. Thanks fro voting too! I think I gotta do a refresher on the region for everyone, haha.

canadiansim: hahaha, Thanks for voting! hope you stick around!

Unmannedperson: Thanks for voting! A few people wanna see Lexington Bay, so, I gotta swing around there soon

TomMCityfan2: Thanks for voting!

In Other News: The BrookStone Regional Government has voted to construct an airfoce base! Construction will begin soon. Also, I'll probably do a tour of the whole region soon, with voting all along the way!

So, i've decided to take an intermission real quick from going back to Trenton, and I wanted to show some of the ideas i've been bouncing around in my head. These can be seen as sort of...'teasers', but most of you have already seen these, i'm just editing them a tad. Anyway, hope you enjoy the few pics that follow! Also, tell me how I can improve, I got photoshop, so, nothing is really out of reach.

Update42intermission0004.jpg

Above: Lexington Bay at dawn. I did some editing here, but mostly used the in-game sun rising fucntion...thing

Update42intermission0003.jpg

Above: Haha, I took an idea from TekindusT. I liked his focus and blur so much I tried it on my geometric building. Thanks for the idea, by the way! (also, i focused the smaller one under it.)

Update42intermission0005.jpg

Above: A less successful photoshop. I gotta practice my nature, although SimCity w/plugins does pretty well on its own.

TrentonNightMosaic_1.jpg

TrentonNightMosaic_2.jpg

TrentonNightMosaic_3.jpg

|

(Edit: This line in the Mosaic Ain't going away, so, you can view two versions Here and Here! and also down there.)                  V

Above: Trenton at night. This photo came out a little too light for my tastes, so I made a darker version, which can be found Here. Its a bit of a teaser, and shows a little development from last times voting. Also, I photoshopped it a bit, however most of the credit goes to SimFox for his DarkNite Mod.

Thats about it! Be back next time with a full-blown update! Also, comments on how to improve are very welcome!

CTMandR

Lowell

TomMCityfan2: Thanks for voting! And yes, unfortunately this update was a little weird

88fordwayne: Thanks! Always good to know this CJ is entertaining, hope you stick around!

K50dude: Sorry about this update! I might have to make it up to you all, some way or another, anyway, hope you like this update!

Simcitymasterman: Thanks for voting! I think that’s a very good analysis of the sites, and I’ll be sure to take your specifics into account

I woke up in the early morning hours, just when the sun cracked over the horizon. I was headed south, to the very edges of the BrookStone Region. So, I walked down to the local train station, which wasn’t much, and doubled as a freight station.

Update41_0015.jpg

Around 7 the train pulled out of the station, and started heading south. My boss had told me that something new had been built outside of Trenton, but I didn’t know just yet.

Update41_0016.jpg

We rode along the light rail line for a bit, and then peeled off and headed directly south

Update41_0006.jpg

By ten, I had gone as far as I could by rail. It was a small community that basically served the needs of travelers going from the ferry to the trains. I walked down to the pier and got on a ferry. There I met someone who lived on the other side of the water, but went to work in Trenton.

Update41_0005.jpg

Our ferry took off, and I asked him how the place we were going was. He told me it was a pretty small community, and there were a lot of retirees there. On the ferry, we passed by something that utterly left my jaw on the floor.

Update41_0012.jpg

It was a battleship! And it was on the move! I asked the man about it, and he responded “yeah, didn’t you know there was a naval base built here? Just recently too” it was amazing to see such a large ship, and I had to go look further into it.

Update41_0007.jpg

I bid goodbye to the man I talked to, and as we landed at the civilian part of the docks, and I took some time to look around the small town.

Update41_0008.jpg

It was a rather small place, but all the houses were high or middle-class. I guess they worked full-time at the naval station. There was also a small business district, next to the boardwalk.

Update41_0009.jpg

The largest place in the town was the local Denny’s, who have served a lot of the naval service men. I went up to one of the two gates that flanked the naval docks, and asked if I could get in. I told the guards that I was a Journalist scheduled to take a tour, and soon the guards had arranged for me to get a tour. I wonder if my boss called ahead.

Update41_0010.jpg

The base itself was massive, and I was given a sergeant as my tour guide and a small Humvee. The sergeant explained that since The BrookStone Region was a protectorate of Canada, the Canadian military decided to help fund BrookStone’s own Military base. The building of this base also came with the founding of a military for the region: The BrookStone Regional Military (BS-RM). BS-RM takes commands from leaders and mayors in BrookStone, but in the end those can be overridden by the Canadian military.

Update41_0011.jpg

The military base was an immense build for The BrookStone Region, and occupies an area the size of LexingtonBay. It hosts a naval dry dock, refueling stations, resupply docks, two submarine docks, two aircraft carrier moors, a Battleship dock, and numerous destroyer and patrol boat docks. Some ships moored are Canadian, others are part of the Regional Sailing Vessel Fleet, which supports BrookStone.

Update41_0018.jpg

Update41_0019.jpg

Update41_0020.jpg

Update41_0021.jpg

Update41_0022.jpg

Update41_0023.jpg

Update41_0024.jpg

Update41_0025.jpg

The sergeant then led me to the NavalCommandCenter, and showed me the newest proposal. It was by the BrookStone Regional Government and the Canadian Armed forces, and it was a proposal for a small base and resupply station for CanadianLand forces. The proposal would also include the formation of a small army for the BrookStone Region.

Update41_0026.jpg

The proposal is quite simple, should the army base be built? Many argue that controlling the waters is simply not enough, and The BrookStone Region needs an army to defend itself on land. Others say that and Airforce should be created instead. There are 4 options.

A)    Create a small army for The BrookStone Region, and build the base.

B)    Create a small Airforce, and build a runway

C)    Ask for protection from the Canadian Land Forces

D)    Don’t build anything

It was getting late, so I was driven out of the naval base and to a small bed and breakfast in town.

Update41_0014.jpg

There, I purchased a small room for myself, had a little snack, and went to bed. Tomorrow, I was supposed to get a call from my boss on where to go.

-----

So, I’m at a crossroads, I don’t know which city to show! This is also where you can vote! Which city would you like to see most?

-LexingtonBay

-Calgary

-Lockheart

-Tavlon

-Spokane

-Valencia

-Karling

-Gertmond

-Jeffory

Thanks for reading!

CTMandR

Reply to everyone: Thanks for showing concern and keeping your hopes up! Because they all came true! Sorta, I think.

Hey all! So, I got The BrookStone Region back! Albiet, I lost my entry’s and photos, which means they’re all on Simtropolis which is a tad uncomfortable for me, but, nonetheless, I will proceed with this CJ! And here to welcome you all back is the next adventure of our journalist! Hope you all like the update!

---

After a good dinner at Denny’s (Breakfast all day yeah!) I stayed the night at The Cubic hotel. The next morning, I took my time in checking out, since I would be in Trenton for more than a day.

Update40_05.jpg

After checking out, I walked down the local train station, and boarded. It was a while before the train left. I was excited to see how Trenton has changed.

Update40_06.jpg

Eventually, though, the train got moving, and the moment it passed city lines, I noticed differences.

Update40_07.jpg

As our train descended, I noticed to the left there was a huge landscaping project that had recently been completed. I say it added about 5 acres of flat space to the hillside.

Update40_18.jpg

The new areas looked very nice. A while later I found out that this project was the biggest earth-moving project ever attempted in the entire region. Approximately 20,000 Cubic feet of earth was moved. An extremely impressive feat.

Update40_08.jpg

Soon, the train passed by a new business district. I remember this area used to be composed of small shops and general stores. Now I can see that a developer came in and built some replica office buildings, which were then sold to various companies that needed offices. Some of the small stores still remained, but the area was quickly becoming an important part of Trenton. Our train was coming up to the station, so I prepared to get off.

Update40_09.jpg

After getting off, I headed directly to Trenton’s new government quarters. There was the main city hall where the mayor did his busywork, and made speeches and did his thing in front of the camera, and then there was the council building, to the right of City hall. The council building was where all the decision-making and political quibbles happened, and today I would be there to sit in on Trenton’s biggest proposal.

Update40_02.jpg

A few council embers got up to introduce the proposal, and they started by showing a map of Trenton’s developed areas. The council members pointed out that the areas circled were under-used, and could be developed more, to further Trenton’s economy.

Council members are proposing that Trenton develop some of its areas more, so that it can contend better with its Northern counterparts, LexingtonBay and Calgary. There are four areas that can be developed more, and the City is voting on which areas to expand, A, B, C, D? or all of them? Any combination is fine.

Update40_14.jpg

Zone “A”, this zone is on the northern end of Trenton, next to the large earthmoving project mentioned earlier. If zone “A” is developed, the highway will be re-located and the rails will be elevated.

Update40_15.jpg

Zone “B” is further south, next to the airport runway. Developing zone “B” will be a little pricey, but will yield more space and an opportunity for a unique feature. (If this is chosen, a special development can also be suggested)

Update40_16.jpg

Zone “C” Is already developed and has been in this form for over three decades. However, the zone sits on prime land, and many civil engineers agree that it is not being optimally used. Therefore zone “C” will involve a complete re-design of the zone, to accommodate more traffic and higher density development.

Update40_17.jpg

Zone “D” is the southernmost tip of Trenton, and the least used. This zone sits next to a marina, and so the land value is moderately high. As well, if this zone is developed, mass transit integration will be easy, since there is already a light rail line on the coast.

The meeting went on for the majority of the day, and by the end of it, I was exhausted from taking notes. I still had a small ways to go to get to my hotel, so I hopped on a tram and started going.

Update40_10.jpg

On the tram, I met up with someone going home for the day. He worked at a development company, all-ur-base-r-belong-to-us. He told me theres been a lot of new developments, and that the biggest thing is getting a build permit, since building regulations for Trenton are so outdated.

Update40_11.jpg

My new friend continued to tell me that his company was getting a lot of offers from high-tech industries trying to set-up.

Update40_12.jpg

Incidentally, we passed two new high-tech industrial shops being built. My new friend had to disembark at the next stop, so we both bid goodbye and he got off. I continued until I got to my hotel, another modern building

Update40_13.jpg

Given the hotel’s shape, the rooms were a very interesting shape, but surprisingly roomy. I laid down and took a nap, then got some chow and walked around a bit. Tomorrow I would go to the other side of Trenton, and finally farther south, where my boss wanted me to go. He said out there it was like the wild west, and that I might want to rent a truck.

-----

Thanks for reading everyone! Hope you all have a good rest of the week! Also, I don't think this is quite the best update yet, but I felt like i needed to let everyone know that I was back, so the next update will be better!

Reply to everyone: Thanks for showing concern and keeping your hopes up! Because they all came true! Sorta, I think.

CTMandR

CJ indefinitely delayed.

Hello! First off, thank you to everyone who has been a follower, Lurker, or anyone who's visited my CJ! I hope you all enjoyed the trip, and had some fun voting!

Unfortunately, my computer has really been acting up lately, and I have been unable to resolve everything, despite how much i've tried. That being said, when I was reinstalling windows, much of the information that I kept about The BrookStone Region CJ has been lost, and my game has become trigger-happy and crashing within minutes. Indeed, I've tried my hardest to keep playing within these last two weeks, and to try and resolve my computer issues, but the problems I have encountered are so numerous, that I have no option but to delay this CJ. Since The BrookStone Region is technically still function, only just very very bothersome to play, I have not permanently stopped this CJ. So, there is hope that eventually, I will start this region up again!

Also, I will still be continuing my Halifax County CJ, as being a fresh CJ, losing some of its files is not too bad. So, look forward to updates on that!

Lastly, Thank you once again to all those that have followed this CJ! It has been a great ride, and I have the biggest hopes that things will be sorted out and the ride can be continued again!

CTMandR

Voting Results 2

K50Dude: Haha, Thanks for your vote! Also, that town hall is the Leszno Town Hall, found Here

Shulmanator: Thanks for your vote! I must say that its a great Idea to build a bigger church!

TomMSimcityfan2: Thanks for your vote! The Park-A-lot is a series of underground parks found Here. Also, terribly sorry for the wait, but its hard to scrape together to time to make updates, especially with two CJ's now. I promise i'll try to update as much as possible!

TekindusT: Thanks for voting! I completely forgot about the HIstorical Society, those retirees can sure whip up a riot 3.gif

simcitymasterman: Thanks for voting! As well as the suggestion, i'll look into PEG's churches.

In Other News: With some slight modifications, the Alternate Proposal by the mayor has passed! The only modification was that various groups have spoken out against moving the church, so in an effort to please both sides, the mayor has allocated funds for the upgrading of the church, so the area is still equally appealing to businesses, and that Church-goers get a larger church!

Just a quick update everyone, I've been focusing on the Halifax CJ and I thought that it would be nice to catch up on some of the voting, so here it is!

From Update #34: Voting on what to do with neglected farmland in Calgary. The vote passed to completely overhaul the area. Here are the results:

Calgary_90.jpg

Initially, development went slowly, as only small single-family homes and apartments were built. There was a commercial strip zoned, however no businesses offered to set up shop there.

Calgary_89.jpg

The only major development was the SkyLight retirement community, which itself didn't contribute much to developing the area, as the retirees didn't need to shop or work. Eventually, however, development in Calgary caught up with the new neighborhood, and...

Calgary_91.jpg

Shops and more houses were built! To this day, The City of Calgary still does not consider the complete overhaul a sucess, and is waiting for larger high-rises to develop. However, the city cannot offer anymore funds to the neighborhood, and is leaving it to its own devices.

From update #36: Lexington Bay voted on whether to upgrade the existing Light Rail Transit system. The vote passed overwhelmingly to construct the new Tram line. Worked started immediately, and now, Lexington Bay has a new light rail map:

LexingtonBayTransitMap_02.jpg

(Clickable link!)

By the way, suggestions on how to improve this would be great! I have photoshop CS4, but it seems simplistic designs are the best. If you have any idea on how to improve this, I probably could, and I might use it for Trenton's Light Rail map as well.

Theres also some photos of trams operating on their new lines:

LexingtonBay_46.jpg

(Above: a tram near Amguard Plaza Station)

LexingtonBay_47.jpg

(Above: a tram near Zen Tower Station)

From Update #37: Lockheart voted on which proposal by the mayor would be passed. The alternate proposal passed with some minor modifications.

Lockheart_27.jpg

Pictured above is the new downtown. Clearly seen are the two tallest towers in Lockheart, which will be discussed later. Also note that some Medium-rise Condos and apartments have come up.

Lockheart_28.jpg

The church has also been upgraded, Despite appearing small, it in fact has a much larger holding capacity, as well as a large capacity to hold public events, such food drives for Charities.

Lockheart_29.jpg

Above are the two tallest buildings in Lockheart, Trigonometry International's HQ, as well as DeCrastro LLC. The two buildings have only recently been built, because formerly permits were not given for buildings over 15 stories. The upgrades however, set the limit to building height at 100 stories. This is a big step forward for Lockheart, and has prompted more suburban development.

Lockheart_30.jpg

A few blocks in Lockheart's Ritziest areas have been built! Also! theres a bonus! I recently put together another satellite image of The BrookStone Region, which can be seen under this text. On the introduction page, I will have the earliest as well as latest satellite images up, so one can see the development thats occured in The BrookStone Region!

2uj1p2v.jpg

(Clickable Photo! Click for Full Size!)

Thats all for this update, sorry for the lack of voting, but next time there will! Also, look out for another update this week! have a good Evening/Day everyone!

CTMandR

Gentrify Lockheart!

Lordmungus: Thanks for voting! And its great to see that the downtown area is developing nicely.

TekindusT: Thanks for voting! And will do, I may even put one between them

Schulmanator: Thanks for your comment, and hopefully you will find out soon enough!

OsakaHugger: I hope the list I sent you was good enough, PM if you would like to ask about anything more specific

Simcitymasterman: Hahaha, I’ll think about having a New Years party in my CJ, probably will. Thanks for voting too!

AngelOne: Thanks for voting! Glad to see a lot of interest in my new CJ.

TomMcityfan2: Thanks for your vote! Hopefully I’ll see you around!

In Other News: the proposition to build a new Tram Line has passed with an overwhelming majority, and the project is scheduled to be started within the next month. Projected completion time is set within one year.

Since the Le Grande Hotel was such a luxurious one, I took my time in checking out. I slept in on their nice beds, and had a large Brunch. So, when it finally came time that I left, it was already past 12pm.

LexingtonBay_44.jpg

It was a short walk to the nearest Train station, which connected Lockheart and LexingtonBay. The tracks terminated in upper LexingtonBay, because they were too high up to go down and meet the tracks in DowntownLexingtonBay.

LexingtonBay_45.jpg

It was a rather small station, and I heard that the Regional planning authority had plans buried around in one of their file cabinets to upgrade the station into a proper terminus. I only had to wait 15 minutes until the next train arrived, and by one in the afternoon, I was off to Lockheart.

Lockheart_16.jpg

Of course, as the train left LexingtonBay and entered Lockheart, the sky turned from a bright blue to a darker, murkier brown. There were factories on each side of the tracks, ranging anywhere from Woodworks to Plastics production. These factories stretched as far as the eye could see, and It wasn’t until some time later that the sky cleared again and I could see some sort of blue.

Lockheart_17.jpg

When the train finally got out of the industrial district, I noticed that things in Lockheart have changed dramatically, beginning with the missing sawmill that used to be the center of Lockheart, and new neighborhoods of very nice houses.

Lockheart_18.jpg

In fact, when the train arrived at the station, there were an innumerable amount of different things! On one side, high-tech industry had developed, and on the other, Parks and high-end businesses were selling expensive….well…things. Seeing that Lockheart was still a small town, the mayor had invited me to see him, so he could tell me about Lockheart. So I headed down to the town hall. (Which was also new)

Lockheart_19.jpg

It was a short walk to town hall, and when I got to the second floor the mayor greeted me heartily, grabbed his suitcase, and told me we were going to tour the city. I asked him about the town hall, and he said it was built just a few months ago, based on Eastern-European civic buildings. I thought it blended in very well.

Lockheart_20.jpg

Outside town hall, the mayor had two bikes waiting (wait? The Mayor bikes?). He hopped on one and, as perplexed as I was, I hopped on the other one. We rode down to the EscherIndustrial Park, and the mayor explained to me that he was trying to “Gentrify” the entire city, basically. He explained that he was enticing more high-tech industries, as well as making the area more desirable to high-wealth people, by using the dirty industry taxes to create a larger health and education network.

Lockheart_21.jpg

We rode past EscherIndustrial Park and into what the mayor called ‘the ritziest neighborhood inland’, or, the richest place that’s not coastal. Here, Managers and Owners of the various industries that dot Lockheart have houses and live happily, far away from the smog of Northern Lockheart. The mayor told me that a local group of citizens paid the city to have the streets repaved with brick. The little neighborhood was nestled in the hills, with only one way in, so we went back through Escher industrial park and made our way to a neighborhood a little closer to the industries of Northern Lockheart.

Lockheart_22.jpg

The middle-class neighborhoods of Lockheart sit just high enough above Northern Lockheart that none of the smog blows their way. However, if you look into the valley, you can see a brown layer of smog that covers the sky. The mayor explained that he wanted to make these places as attractive as he could, so that eventually residents moving in would push out all the dirty industry that has accumulated in the city.

We biked down to a local coffee shop, and the mayor opened his briefcase and showed me a photo of a small neighborhood in Eastern Lockheart.

Lockheart_23.jpg

Since we could’nt bike on the highway, the mayor told me that even this small neighborhood, which used to be neglected and low-class, was now beginning to see some richer development, and mayor has ordered 3 parks be built to make the area more attractive.

Lockheart_24.jpg

(Initial Proposal)

The mayor pulled out another photo, and told me he wanted to link the small neighborhood with the rest of Lockheart, as well as giving more room to new residents moving in. He said that he is going to propose to the council a development of the area between Lockheart and its satellite neighborhood. He said this will help raise desirability, bring in new residents, and he can allow the logging companies to take the wood in the area. He said his major opposition is going to come from environmentalists, and from people that fear the new development won’t bring rich residents.

Lockheart_26.jpg

(Alternate Proposal)

He also showed me a photo of an alternative plan that he will present to the council, so that if they do not like one of them, then they can vote for the other one. This plan, he said, consisted of rezoning the purple zones to allow taller commercial buildings to go up, upgrading the street highlighted in green to a road, and moving the existing church, highlighted in orange, to a new location in one of the other neighborhoods.

The Mayor has presented various proposals in front of the city council, and the council has merged them into one vote. There are 4 options:

A)    Build the Initial Proposal. New places for residents means more higher-wealth workers, which means more high-paying and low-polluting jobs! (Pictured as “Initial Proposal”)

B)    Build the Alternate Proposal. New businesses attract their own residents, and help make the area look richer! The Purple will be converted to taller commercial zoning, the church in orange would be moved, and the street highlighted in green would be upgraded to a road. (Pictured as “Alternate Proposal”)

C)    Don’t build either one. The money can be saved for some other time.

D)    Build Both! The city does not have enough money to complete both, however they can merge the two proposals and hopefully have the best of both worlds. This may delay construction time due to politicians bickering over what to merge in and what to throw out.  

The afternoon was turning into evening, so I rode back to Town Hall with the mayor and bid him goodbye. My hotel was just a few blocks away, so I went to check in.

Lockheart_25.jpg

I checked in at “The Cubic” hotel, recently built in a modernist style. After checking in, I went to go get some dinner. Tomorrow, I was going to visit Trenton, and I would spend a few days there, since I haven’t seen the place in a while.

-----

Pardon me for such a short and rather bland update, but I've spent the entire week attempting to return my computer to normal, after parts of my motherboard got fried and I had to reinstall Windows XP. However! The next update will be much larger, and on Trenton! Hope you all have a good week!
CTMandR

TekindusT: Thank you, Congratulations on your Trixie too! Also, thank you for giving your opinion on my CJ!

lordmungus: Thank you for your input! I never quite realized how important the landsacape and natural areas of my CJ mattered, I think it has become clear though, after these last few updates!

AngelOne: Thank you for your input! I am in the process of trying to fix the loop, but I think a lot of the residents that moved in are here to stay.

simcitymasterman: Thanks for your input! option C is one I am seriously considering as well, it would be nice to have update this CJ every once in a while.

k50dude: Thanks for your input! I like the idea of keeping this updated until I can start my next one.

In Other News: I have decided after much deliberation that I will continue the BrookStone Region, at least until I can start my next CJ. (I've already got the region started off, i'm very excited to introduce it! soon!) I may even continue the BrookStone Region after that, although updates will be much sparser as I will be focusing on my new one. Thanks to all that have followed this CJ and commented! It's also anyones guess how this region will develop in the future.

-Authors Note: I am working hard on trying to Rectify the Eternal Commuter loop, however it seems that these big buildings are here to stay! I think in the next update all the commute things will be ok.

Early in the morning I checked out of my hotel in New Calgary and made my way across the road to the nearest subway stop. Even though the new high-speed rail line is in place, it still takes some hours to get to LexingtonBay.

Calgary_86.jpg

The subway took me to the Rail hub, and by the time I was on the train and on my way, the sun had come up over the horizon and was shining into my window.

Calgary_87.jpg

(A box? Preposterous! I can't beleive I missed it!)

After a few minutes, I passed by the newest development in Calgary. The area was supposed to be a nice waterfront marina with high-rise condominiums and fancy office buildings, but no developers wanted to construct there, there was little demand in that area, it was all back in New Calgary.

Calgary_88.jpg

Eventually, the land was sold off to a housing developer, and now the only things that exist are track houses and a half-built marina, along with random apartment complexes. I thought that this area should rebound sometime, if not soon.

LexingtonBay_35.jpg

After a little while, the train entered Lexington Bay City lines, and I was greeted by a pencil-tower, which I would later find out to be ‘loft seaside condos’. We were nearing the last stop on the line, so I started preparing my luggage….what little luggage I had.

LexingtonBay_36.jpg

The last stop on the High-Speed rail line was another transit hub, as it was also the end of the line for the slower ground trains, as well as the Western Terminus for LexingtonBay’s Light Rail line. I took my baggage and hopped on the Light Rail…or Tram.

LexingtonBay_37.jpg

On my way to DowntownLexingtonBay, I passed the Amguard Consulting complex, two buildings built across a plaza. I read in the newspaper that these were completed recently, and were planned to have a skywalk connecting them. However, when construction was nearing completion the skywalk fell, and that part of the project abandoned.

LexingtonBay_38.jpg

I arrived in DowntownLexingtonBay, and proceeded to try and find city hall. As I was walking around I noticed that the rampant development and expansion has really cut into the hillside, which, along with the development of suburbs, has taken away the last of the ‘small town’ feel of the city. LexingtonBay is no longer a small development nestled away in the hills, it has risen through the ranks and solidified its position as a global economic contender. I find that the magnificent towers contrast the dwindling hillside rather well.

Anyway, back to finding City Hall. Eventually I arrived, and, once again, just in time! I squeezed my way in with some other media people, and the speaker announced that this was the most pressing issue for today, and could not be put off any longer.

LexingtonBay_39.jpg

Due to the Recent explosion of Commerical Office buildings and large condo's and apartments in Lexington Bay, The city's transit system has been overloaded, and is nearing breaking point. City planners have proposed an expansion of the 2-line route that runs through downtown Lexington Bay, and recommend having the line go to the Eastern residential neighborhood. The expansion will also put 4 tram lines, instead of the traditional 2. The vote is pretty straight forward; Build the line or not?

Also, planners have recommended a phase II, which has yet to be voted on.

LexingtonBay_40.jpg

Looks like with all the new development, all of LexingtonBay’s transit options are running above capacity. The photos on the chalk board were quite self-explanatory, and I hardly needed to listen to the speaker. Afterwards, I made my up the hillside, and onto the area where LexingtonBay’s Ritziest residents stay.

LexingtonBay_41.jpg

However, no matter how rich this area is, it’s still amazingly congested. Maybe because the only road through the hills is this one. Regardless, I continued on, and a little while later I noticed that LexingtonBay was starting to attract more high-tech industries.

LexingtonBay_42.jpg

These industries built themselves into the hillside, and because LexingtonBay and Calgary are growing so much, there seem to be more of them every day. Sooner or later, they may have to go _into_ the hillside….or somewhere else…or something. Eventually, I reached the bottom of the hill, opposite to DowntownLexingtonBay. This neighborhood was where I was going to stay the night. Tomorrow, I’ll be going to Lockheart, as a small stop on my way to Trenton.

LexingtonBay_43.jpg

My hotel of choice was the prestigious _Le Grande_ Hotel, which housed many of the famous people that went through this area, including….well…I’ll remember sometime later. The hotel itself was very nice, it was situated at one end of the commercial area, and very near some suburbs, which made the hotel a very quiet one, but also very near high-end shops and the like. I checked in and looked out my window just in time to see a huge car crash. I think the city is going to need that new Tram line.

---

Hope you all have a great New Years! Look forward to a few more BrookStone Region Updates! See you all later!

CTMandR

The Eternal Commuter Loop

Shulmanator: Thanks for the comment!

Stef42: Thanks for your comment! I hope you stick around, at least until I can get things sorted out!

AngelOne: Thank you for your comment! I'll consider it when I can finish sorting things out and getting back to playing, but I was only on the line about "Natural Growth". This CJ was never really intended to follow strict guidelines, I just take peoples suggestions! Also, thanks for voting!

V_ware: Thanks for your comment! I'll definitely consider that when I work on my cities.

k50dude: I never really counted, I think the cash tags were to better gauge which option would be better, because it was a little more specific than "a lot of money" or "a bit of money". However, thanks for your vote!

simcitymasterman: Thanks for your vote! I have been considering making a ski resort, however I'll have to find a good space.

In Other News: With an overwhelming majority, the council has voted to execute a complete overhaul of the area. However, construction has not been scheduled due to a recent discovery, and the project does not have a definitive due date.

Good day! or, evening to those of you reading after 12:00! Unfortunately, shortly after the previous update, I discovered that my region has gotten an odd muation of the dreaded Eternal Commuter Loop! Dun dun dunnnnn!!!! For those of you who don't know what the commuter loop is, its where commuters will go out of a city, to look for work, however in the city they go to, it is simply easier to go to the next city to look for work, and so on and so forth, therefore, after a while, people will go from City A -> City B -> City C -> City D -> City A, never finding work!

The commuter loop does not have any know fixes, and causes tremendous traffic problems since  you get commuters going through roads two, three, even four times at once! it also creates a false sense of work, so that new residents move in when there really is no work to have! So, this is why I experienced dreadfully slow development, followed by booming skyscrapers and massive amounts of traffic, it was because a loop was started, and created an artificial bubble of work.

Even worse, the loop has been lingering in one city for quite a time, and has only recently spread to other cities. At this point, every single tile in my region has the commuter loop or a mutation of it, excluding Jeffory and Karling. This is terrible, since I will have to break the loop in every tile I enter, and I don't know how that will effect the local economy, or any neighbor deals, or any side effects.

For those of you who want to read a little more on the commuter loop, I found a thread in the forums Here.

I found out about this a little while ago, and was nearly about to give up, however, being nominated for a Trixie was really great, and I have gained interest once again in The BrookStone Region. Thank you to all that nominated me for a Trixie! I never thought I could be rewarded with one!

However, that does bring up a new question: Should I continue this CJ? Which is where you, the trusty reader, can have a say!

A) Discontinue the BrookStone Region, and start another CJ.

B) Continue the BrookStone Region, and fix the eternal commuter loop. Like nothing ever happened!

C) Continue the BrookStone Region, and start another CJ! Though, doing two CJ's may slow down updates.

once again, I would like to thank everyone that has read this CJ, and nominated me for a trixie! I hope we can continue to follow our journalists footsteps around The BrookStone Region, if only I can fix the Commuter Loop! As well, this is such a big decision I simply cannot leave my readers out of it!

Have a good day/evening everyone!

CTMandR

High-Speed Rail: So Cool

K50dude: Thanks for your comment! I've realized this too since I began using NAM

Simcitymasterman: Thanks for your vote!

lordmungus: That's also what I thought, and it in fact seemed true that the region was too poor to take a train, so thank you for your vote!

In Other News: The High-Speed Rail link problem has been successfully resolved, turns out the problem was due to technical difficulties in the computers of the stations, but now that the problem is fully resolved, the High-Speed Rail is now in use! Thanks for all who voted to keep it, too!

We are now back in the voice of our Journalist, after various delay's.

Remember how I boarded the train from Jeffory? Well, turns out that train broke down a mile down the tracks, and all the riders walked back to Jeffory. There I was, for days and day, waiting for the track to be cleared and the line to open up again, so I could take a train back. All the while, I was getting calls from my boss about “This building going up!” and “This new rail line being built!” It was all a lot. I never thought one small region could grow so much so quickly, and I really doubted it for a while

However, the line got cleared and trains started running again. I boarded a train for Calgary, and won’t bother on the technicalities of getting there. Bottom line, I reached Spokane and what I saw was amazing.

SpokaneMosaicPiece1.jpg

SpokaneMosaicPiece2.jpg

SpokaneMosaicPiece3.jpg

SpokaneMosaicPiece4.jpg

SpokaneMosaicPiece5.jpg

Spokane had grown so much! There were two new cattle ranches, dozens of new farms, and even a small town center situated in the middle! Everything looked so beautiful I was almost about to take a small tour, but the train kept going.

Spokane_27.jpg

The ranches I could see were full of cattle, crazing here and there, fenced off.

Spokane_28.jpg

Even some wealthier residents were moving in, in the middle of all the farmland! I think most of them just wanted to get away from city life. The train went near the Kandex oil terminal, and I found myself around downtown Spokane.

Spokane_29.jpg

I saw as I passed the main station that there was a small skyscraper built! The first for Spokane. As I passed from Spokane to Calgary, I went through Downtown Calgary, and noted one thing that caught my attention very quickly.

Calgary_77.jpg

A Subway Station! At first I was shocked, could the city really afford one? Where did it lead? Later, I was to find all this out.

Calgary_78.jpg

I also passed by a new industrial center, teeming with high-tech industrial growth that looked like it was taking over the more low-tech and dirty ones.

Calgary_79.jpg

Finally, my train arrived at its destination. Calgary Eastern Station. I got off here and found that this was where the subway leaded! I walked up a small hill and into the Calgary Eastern Terminus for Calgary’s new high-speed rail link! My boss had told me this link was already made, and that it stretched from Calgary to LexingtonBay, and that there were plans to have it run to Trenton as well. It was truly amazing to see.

Calgary_80.jpg

However, my excitement jumped through the roof as 15 minutes later I was on a train that was rapidly speeding up.

Calgary_81.jpg

We started rolling through the major parts of Calgary, and I could see the Train I was once on left in the dust, as well as cars and all sorts of moving vehicles. However, the most incredible part was not even the high-speed rail link, as I looked ahead, I saw something else

Calgary_82.jpg

There were massive skyscrapers all over where what once were houses! This was New Calgary, and the last time I had seen it, the place was but a mere community! Now, there were giant condos, big office buildings, and huge apartment complexes.

Calgary_83.jpg

To help myself and others with the size of these buildings and the developments, I drew up a little comparison to my own train.

Calgary_84.jpg

On the next stop, I had to get off. I was going to explore this area before I went to LexingtonBay. Incidentally, I got off at a major hub for New Calgary, a place that served the high-speed rail link, a train line to Lockheart, and a train line to LexingtonBay. The hub also hosted a myriad of bus connections, a parking lot, and its own express subway!

I took the subway into the heart of the city, and found a branch of city hall, where I walked in and took a peek at what was being debated. It was very interesting, as the speaker noted that rapid expansion came with its own set of problems, one of which they were trying to solve now.

Calgary_85.jpg

This Is Where You Can Vote! The City has decided that in order to meet growing demand and allow Calgary to propel itself into a top position among Western Canadian cities, this area must begin to build high-rises. However, poor planning and lack of amenities has prevented this from happening, and currently there have been 4 proposals that have come up to solve the issue.

A) Plan and Execute a complete overhaul of the area. That includes re-positioning the highway that runs through, tearing down the farms, replacing the airport tram that currently resides, relocating the Industry that has set up, tearing up all the roads, making a completely new roadplan, and replacing all existing health and educational facilities with public ones. The projected cost is around 60Million, however overhead and delays may run the project into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

B) Execute a partial revamping. This includes tearing up the roads in suburban areas, and replacing them with a new street plan. As well, farms will be bought up and used as space for development, and part of the Industrial sector will be relocated. However, all health and educational facilities will stay, with roads drawn around them. On top of that, the existing highway will stay and the airport tram will not need to be moved. The cost is estimated at 30Million, however may rise to 60Million.

C) Sell the land to private developers. This will bring money to the city, however Health and educational cities will be torn down, and the area will become private land. Estimated profit is around 20Million.

D) Leave the area be. All the proposals are too expensive or too detrimental to the city, and the area should be kept as-is. Estimated cost: 5 Dollars.

*Note, all values are calculated in American Dollars/Canadian Dollars, granted they're both about the same amount these days.

The area disputed was one just north of Tavlon, an area that was traditionally farmland. Since it was farmland, the roads had been built irregularly, and bus stops had not been installed. As well, there was no centralized school system. The result was that industrial companies were haphazardly building, some farms were being surrounded, and houses were in highly undesirable locations with no school access. Large buildings stopped here because there weren’t enough space between the existing roads to build them, and it was too expensive to bulldoze them. The proposal was that the whole area should be re-drawn and re-developed, from the ground-up, as a well planned area. However, it was quite costly for the city, and there were alternative proposals.

-----

Given my excitement, I decided to stop here to rest for a little while. My adventure in this New Calgary and onto LexingtonBay will have to wait until next time. Have a good day everyone!

CTMandR

Bureaucratic Bureaucracy

Schulmanator: Thanks! With whats been happening recently, you may just be able to take a home without buying it!

_marsh_: Thanks for your comment! I was going for that upscale feel, the sort of "I would never be able to afford it..." type thing

lordmungus: Thanks for your comment! This update's actually got something to do with the HSR link.

Anarcho-X: Thanks! I hope they look realistic, I was sort of doubting it when I was building them

Allright, sorry its been so long. But, the thing is, there are finals coming up, and i'm getting done with projects, and everything is just a mess outside of the SimCity4 realm, so I haven't that much time to play. On top of that, my region has been developing badly. I've gotten cases where residential demand is breaking the charts, but zero houses are being built. It seems that nothing is developing. I placed a census repository and it shows that caps are far from being broken. I'm still playing the region, and hopefully I can get this sorted out soon.

However, in other news, after much Bureaucratic bickering and squabbling and such, a High-Speed Rail link from Calgary to Lexington Bay has been built! The link stretches from Central Calgary (the suburbs previously shown) all the way short of downtown Lexington Bay. I've got some photos of the stops. All of the following photos face northward

Calgary_73.jpg

Above is the Eastern Terminus of the stop, conveniently located next to the end of the freeway, and at the biggest train station in the region. Businesses have developed well since the building.

Calgary_74.jpg

This is the next stop, its the one nearest Lockheart, because commuters only have to switch to the southern railroad and go west one stop. It is also where the new train link to Lexington Bay begins, the northern two tracks. Here, also, there is a subway link that leads to New Downtown Calgary (the buildings in the south). In all, this hub has eight tracks.

Calgary_75.jpg

This is the last stop in Calgary. the Station sits on a recently redeveloped area in West Calgary, and most trains do not stop here. Remember how I said that demand was high but nothing was building? This is what I mean, demand is booming for all Residential sectors, and yet any land I zone does not get developed. It has become very troubling.

Calgary_76.jpg

This is the only stop in Lexington Bay, it has connections with the local Light Rail line, and is also the terminus for the new ground rail connection. Downtown Lexington Bay sits just west of the photo.

That being all said. I have come across a unique problem, and that is why I have created this post.

I have made sure that the HSR line has been fully connected, and the stations seem fully functional. I used the 'Drawpaths' cheat to see if there are any breakages, and did not notice any. There are plenty of high-wealth residents around the staions, and I know that people commute between Calgary and Lexington Bay. The problem is that No one takes the High-Speed Rail! No one. Zip. Nada. Nothing. I don't know if people think its too expensive, or would rather go by car, or if the line doesn't work, but it just doesn't work. I have been running the simulation for years, and don't know what to do. So I have decided to form a vote.

This is where you can vote! Since The line appears to not be working, and disregarding technical issues, I, as mayor, have decided to put up a vote on what to do with the line, and the space surrounding it.

A) Turn it into an Elevated Rail line. This is an enticing option, as I can connect it to the existing light rail lines in both Calgary and Lexington Bay, and create a better transit system

B) Keep it. The money has been spent, now its all up to (hopefully) have it fixed, or having riders start coming

C) Abandon it. The city has already thrown so much money away building it, that they can't spare more money to demolish it or replace it.

D) Demolish it. Maybe the space could be used for something else

E) Convert this into an ultra-High-Speed Rail prototype system, where trains and tracks are tested. Some money might come out of it. (Basically I will download the BTM mod and use it instead. It may work)

Thats all for this time! Sorry for so long without an actually update! Finals will be done next week, and I might actually get around to do this then. Have fun voting! And of course, I would like to know whats happening if you guys have any idea!

CTMandR

Getting the Ball Rolling

sneakeypete: Thanks for commenting! and, as far as the north goes...I don't even know! very secretive

gotsomemilk: Thanks for your comment! That seems like a very interesting idea, I might entertain it, since normally I don't look so far ahead on my cities

Shulmanator: Haha, or maybe they're not even underground bunkers!

simcitymasterman: Hey, good connections there, but...the place also happens to be in pristine condition!

tepodon: Hahaha, Mole Rats, they sure do have a good taste in housing!

Anarcho-X: Haha, thanks for your comment! I'm not really minded by people not commenting, its always great to know that I have 'ghost' viewers who follow my story but don't actually comment.

lordmungus: I'll certainly try to aim my Journalist in that direction! As for the high-speed rail link, i'm really on the fence, because on one hand it would be great and fun to build, but on the other hand I cannot find a suitable realistic path, and the realistic costs in-game would be immense. At this point, if I can find a good path, there would be some way to rake up the funds.

k50dude: Little thingy's? Huh? the man-holes? the weeds? they're all PEG's stuff...but...I don't know!

Notice: hey everyone, sorry for being away for such a long time. The thing is, I was all prepped to play SimCity on my vacation, however when I arrived I found the computer out of order, which means that I was disconnected for 10 days. As well, it has been a mere 2 days since I have been back, so this update will be short, but I hope will explain a lot of what comes up in the future.

Allright, In the past few weeks a peculiar thing was developing in cities across my region, and it affected my three largest cities; Calgary, Lexington Bay, and Trenton. This peculiar 'thing' was very blatant, it was a distinct lack of growth, and it occured when I filled up all the space in the city, or at least, the rather flat space that was easy to develop. And so, development came to a near standstill across the region, and it was beginning to hurt as businesses started moving out, without any new ones moving in.

Calgary_69.jpg

Above you can see how Calgary once looked. The land that was developed was all at the bottom of hills, where the area was relatively flat and accessible, and things were easy to build. Then, if the terrain got even moderately steep, development stopped. This of course, left beautiful mountains and hills intact, but soon, space ran out at the bottom, and something must be done.

For developers, the choice was easy: simply build on top of the mountains, using winding roads and marketing the suburbs on top as having "great views" and "fresh, mountain air". However, for the politicians and the residents, this was unheard of, literally. None of the residents would have thought that building on a hill or mountain would be viable, much less a good Idea.

So it was when a team of developers from McKracen corporation approached the council and offered to buy much of Calgary's remaining undeveloped land, that the politicians finally realized they could sell off the remaining hills to be developed. Because Calgary was in such a pinch and there appeared to be no more space to develop, the proposal to sell off the majority of the mountains and hills in Calgary was met with little opposition, the only big fighter being environmentalists. Thus, the proposal passed with a good majority. Now in the present, Eastern Calgary looks like this:

Calgary_70.jpg

Near the Marina, there is also a new suburb:

Calgary_71.jpg

So with thousands of new residents pouring in, Calgary finally go the ball rolling again, and is prepared to surpass Lexington Bay once again as the largest city in BrookStone! Just in case you all are wondering about where this is, I have a small reference photo:

Calgary_72.jpg

So it was not long before Lexington Bay caught onto the idea, and started selling off their extra land. Today, Lexington Bay has a brand-new suburb, overlooking its downtown! However, The Bay still has a way to go to jumpstart its economy, and available land of any sort is expected to be gone quite fast.

LexingtonBay_34.jpg

Pictured above: Lexington Bay. To the right, downtown, to the left, the Stadium and Lockheart.

Trenton is also getting in the game, although its a bit late on passing the proposition to sell off land. However, developers a intensively eyeing this patch of hill:

Trenton_35.jpg

Very close to the airport and docks! Great place!

Thats all for this update! sorry its so quick, I just haven't had too much time to play. Next one will be a lenghty one, and i'll have more adventures! Until next time!

CTMandR

Jeffory

_marsh_: Thanks for your vote and comment! When I was writing the story, I think the "if one happens then the other will too" type of thing, so thats a very good observation! Also, 1 vote for the ranch!

Retep Molinari: Thanks for your comment, and I'll take it you voted the same as _marsh_, so two votes for the ranch!

Shulmanator: Thanks for your comment, I'm glad to see I can tie my cities together nicely

simcitymasterman: Haha! Thanks for your comment, I especially like edgucation, hehe. Also, 3 votes for the ranch!

mustang34: Glad to see that you've decided to start to vote! I wonder if you were previously a lurker, or just recently discovered the CJ.....in any case, 4 votes for the ranch!

In Other News: The City of Spokane voted overhwelmingly to sell the land to the ranch! The transaction will be completed within 30 days, and from there, its up to the ranch!

Bright and early, I got up and hopped on one of the daily trains that heads into BrookStone’s farthest settlement, Jeffory. The train to Jeffory always left at around 6am, because it would take a couple hours to get to Northern Jeffory, where it would spend time waiting for passengers or picking up supplies. After that, it was another half hour to get to Southern Jeffory, where the train would receive well-needed maintenance before heading back into central BrookStone. I fell asleep on the train, until it came to a stop at Northern Jeffory.

Jeffory_1.jpg

I was one of two people that got off at this stop, and when we got off, we were the only two people on the platform. I went out onto the street, and that’s when I realized that the other person who got off had disappeared, seemingly into nowhere, and that I was the only one on the street, from what I saw. The train wouldn’t leave for another hour, so I had time to walk around, and find out why this place was so empty.

Jeffory_2.jpg

I began to wander about the city, and in a few minutes I realized that every single store was closed-no exceptions. This was quite odd to me, added to the fact that no one was out on the streets, and I saw no cars. I was beginning to suspect this place was abandoned, even though it was newly formed.

Jeffory_3.jpg

By the time I had walked around a bit, there seemed to be so many indications that the place was abandoned, but just as many that it was completely inhabited. Most of the stores looked like they had just been closed a few minutes ago, and some houses were in perfect condition, even the shrubbery was well trimmed. At the same time, I saw no people, no cars, and some houses were even actually abandoned! I really did not know what was up. I knocked on some doors, and all came unanswered.

Jeffory_4.jpg

Then, I noticed something that made the situation even more perplexing. These strange concrete blocks in the ground. They were just about the size of a manhole, but all hatches were locked. They were littered all over the city, and I wondered if it was some secret underground area.

Jeffory_5.jpg

All of them lit up as well! Power was flowing through this small town, at the very least. In any case, I wondered to last part of Northern Jeffory there was, the industrial sector and railroad spur.

Jeffory_6.jpg

Again, no one. Not a single soul. All of the factories seemed in perfect condition, yet, no smoke, no sign of activity whatsoever. I looked out over a ledge, and that’s when I saw something even more peculiar

Jeffory_7.jpg

It was a singular antennae, about 40ft high. This was very odd because it was on the edge of town, and Northern Jeffory didn’t have any radio stations, nor any businesses or industries that required radio connection, not as far as I knew. I was beginning to think that maybe there was an underground set-up in Northern Jeffory, but that was preposterous to think about! I boarded the train, and started south, towards southern Jeffory. I was wondering if that area would be the same

Jeffory_8.jpg

This time, the ride was shorter, and I managed to stay awake through it, soaking up the sun and nice scenery all around the track.

Jeffory_9.jpg

Soon, I ended up at ‘South Jeffory Terminus’, a newly-built Terminal Station that served two lines, the BrookStone Regional Rail line, and the Canadian Nation rail line. It was a very modern Station, in contrast to rest of the city, but it still was a beautiful addition to the small town of South Jeffory.

Jeffory_10.jpg

I knew South Jeffory was far different from North Jeffory once I got near enough to see the town. Everywhere there was much more hustle and bustle of people in the station, and far more cars out on the street. Everyone was kind, and I entered a liquor store to get myself a drink. I spoke with the clerk, and he said that the town was formed just a few years ago, when the station was built. Most of the people that live here have come from other parts of Canada, down the CN line. I walked down main street, which after a block turned into a dirt road, and was lined with houses and farms instead of businesses.

Jeffory_11.jpg

I visited a house of someone I had talked to over the phone before I got here, and asked them about Northern Jeffory. He told me that Northern Jeffory was a very odd place, and most of the people in Southern Jeffory have never visited there, or if they did, never found anything and had to leave. Some had asked train conductors if they knew what was up, but they didn’t know either. It seemed no one knew about Northern Jeffory, or knew anyone who lived there. Some speculated it was a fake town created so that the military could conduct operations below. Some thought that the residents of Northern Jeffory did all their business underground, still others thought the place had been abandoned, and a lone man went around town cleaning up certain houses of people he knew. However, no one really knew for sure what happened in the town, and over time everyone just came to accept that it was there. I thanked the guy for the interesting conversation, and continued one my way.

Jeffory_12.jpg

I walked a little ways further and then I realized that I had just passed most of the town. At around 500 residents, Jeffory was awfully small, so there was really nothing more to see, I waited around and looked at how natural the area was for a bit, and then boarded my train.

----------

Thats all for this time guys! Sorry about the no-vote. Jeffory, like Karling, is far too small for any sort of large development to be going on. Also, I intentionally did not mention where our journalist was going next, partly because I don't know and partly because I want it to be a suprise! ...ok, so its completely because i haven't decided where he is going next, but its much better as a suprise! See you all later!

CTMandR

The Story of Spokane

k50dude: Thank you!

Retep Molinari: Thanks for your comment!

_marsh_: Thanks!

Mars250: Haha, if you've been waiting for them to become big commerical centers, then I must say your very very patient! The Equitable Building can be found here, and those lines come with the NAM, just check the box that say's 'left-hand turn lanes'.

simcitymasterman: haha, thanks for your comment. I often look back and can see just how much the region has grown.

newyorkrunaway1: Thanks for your comment!

The ride into Spokane was rather uneventful, but the moment I stepped out of Spokane’s only train station and onto the street, then the story really changed.

Spokane_17.jpg

Right across the street was a new town hall, and this main street was hustling and bustling with people going about. There were dozens of new stores that lined the road, and a lot more high-end stores. For this trip, I was assigned a special task, I was to find as diverse a population as possible, and ask them about life in Spokane, and then I was to compose this into a nice short story for the newspaper. My first stop: John’s General Store

Spokane_18.jpg

It was a rather small store, typical, where John and his wife lived upstairs, and tended to their store downstairs. I stepped in, and a small bell rang. John knew that I was going to be here, so he greeted me very warmly. We talked a whole lot about how its been in Spokane, and how this small town differs from where I come from, one of the bigger cities down in the US. John told me that business has been especially good for him recently, since industrial companies have started to set up shop.

However, John was really concerned about other, bigger chain stores opening up here, and worried that soon he might be bought out. That’s why he’s saving up all his new earnings to expand the store! He says, “No longer will this simply be ‘John’s General Store’! It will become ‘John’s Great Big General Store!’”. He told me that he plans on devoting space to a new assortment of goods, so that he’ll have everything anyone needs! It was very ambitious of him, but I wished him the best of luck, and started walking down the street.

Spokane_19.jpg

Down a cul-de-sac, I found the Lombard house, a rather wealthy family. I arrived just as they were leaving, however, so I only had time to ask about a few things. Mr. Lombard said that their family moved in right when Spokane was founded, so that he could work at the new Kandex offices. Mrs. Lombard thinks its great that all these new businesses are coming to town, and all these new people are moving in, because she was starting to get bored, she also said that thankfully the new poor residents were across the railroad tracks, because she didn’t want them in their neighborhood. Following that, the couple jumped into their Jaguar and drove off, I didn’t know where they were going, but, I once again set off on foot, towards the new residents.

Spokane_21.jpg

I crossed the railroad tracks, and nearly immediately I could notice a difference. There was an odd smell about, the road turned to dirt, and farms popped up. I had to walk somewhat farther down, and started to guess at the roads, since there weren’t any signs of any sort. Eventually, I ended up where I wanted to be.

Spokane_22.jpg

This was

1200 Sinclair St.
, or the home of Kovacs. The Kovacs are a middle-class family that decided to move into a developing neighborhood in Spokane. They constructed the house themselves, and have been living in Spokane for at least 3 years. “We really hope this area will develop soon, I would like a nice sidewalk and a couple of parks around here.” Mrs. Kovac said. “Yeah, and maybe a decent sewer system. I know we didn’t construct this in the best of neighborhoods, but we are really hoping that Spokane will get the funds to develop this area soon!” Mr. Kovac added. Mr. Kovac worked at the railroad station, as stationmaster. Mrs. Kovac worked right across the street at a local specialty store. They were also expecting a child, so they really wanted the place to become a little better in time.

I talked a little more with them, and the couple explained that they had made very many friends in Spokane, as even the residents in the more snobby neighborhoods were very welcoming. They said that they had to prepare for a block party coming up soon, which would be right around where Lombard’s lived. I thanked them very much for their time, took a small drink of water, and continued on my way. I was starting to wish the area had a sidewalk too, as I was sneezing clots of dirt every time a car passed.

Spokane_23.jpg

Just down the road, the houses got smaller, and more downtrodden, and weeds were starting to permeate the road. This looked like the sketchy side of town, and I was going to the Elber Residents. There, I met Mr. Elber, a single man in his mid-20s, working for a new smelting plant down near the Oil Terminal. Elber told me that he just recently moved in, and was actually glad that he now had a plot of land, somewhat, and that he had his own small place to live. Mr. Elber moved down from his apartment in LexingtonBay, and although he’s not too much better off, there’s much more open space for him to move about. The only drawback for him though, is that he can’t find what he needs for cheap. He told me “Sometimes I go down to Calgary to find what I need, and that alone could cost me a hefty amount of money. In the end, I might make a little more, but purchasing things here is ridiculous, I don’t know if I can keep living like this.”

For Mr. Elber, things were light and bright, but also hard, he lived day-to-day, and his only solace from his budget was sitting out in his yard and soaking up the sun. I thanked him for his time, and bid him goodbye. The day was going into the afternoon, and I made my way back across the railroad tracks, and up to the steps of Fenchan’s Foundry.

Spokane_25.jpg

I stepped in, and the entire large room was bustling with activity. On the far side workers were pouring molten steel into forms, and around the back forms were being broken and steel shapes were being stacked up. In the center, there was a press, where hot steel was put under intense pressure and formed into everything from car parts to toaster shells. Off to the other side, chunks of iron ore and recycled steel were all going into a big vat, to be lifted by crane to the other side of the foundry, and poured. I met the foreman, who was none other than Mr. Fenchan. He took me up to the upper level offices, and began to tell me all the great things about moving to Spokane! Mr. Fenchan spoke with a passion in everything he said, so it sounded like a miracle had just happened to him when he started telling me about moving from Lockheart to Spokane. He told me the labor was cheaper, it was easier to get raw materials and ship finished goods out, and there were far fewer taxes! He told me, not only that, but if the foundry could expand, they would receive a bonus from the city of Spokane!

Yes, it seemed like Mr. Fenchan was living his dream, that was, until he told me that unions were starting to form, and demand higher wages. He told me that if he gave them higher wages, he might lose his competitive edge, and not be able to expand, therefore not receiving the bonus. All of the sudden, it seemed like a precarious position for the foundry, but time was running out. I bid Mr. Fenchan goodbye and made my way down to the new Town hall.

Spokane_20.jpg

I was to take a peek at today’s vote before turning into a hotel.

Spokane_26.jpg

This is where you can Vote! The City of Spokane today debated whether they should sell this land off to a ranch and small slaughterhouse. The ranchers say they can help the economy, but at the same time demand that the city add sewer lines and a new spur track to their ranch. Some residents would rather see their sidewalks paved, so its up to you to vote on whether residents get new sidewalks and roads or whether they get the possibility of a richer city!

---------

I made it just in time for conclusions. The speaker concluded his presentation saying: “You see, if you sell this land to us, not only will you make money, but we’ll also help your town’s economy! Of course, we’ll need a few city funds for the construction of sewer pipes and a new rail line spur, but, what else could you use that for? Sidewalks? Please, economy first.” “well, we Can use the funds for sidewalks, but thank you very much for your proposal, sir. Voting will begin in five minutes” It was a very interesting last few minutes, and I hope the city council voted to make sidewalks instead. I was tired of getting dirty.

Afterwards, I made my way just up the street to the local motel, where I would stay the night. You know, Ramen is not that bad of a dinner, especially when you’ve been walking about all day. These stories I heard today will all be great for me when I write my short story, I was glad of all the walking. Tomorrow, I was going to one of the newest settlements in BrookStone, one that hardly has a name!

Thats all for this time! I hope you all like the storyline, and I won't keep making these long exhausting stories, it was just this one time. Next time there'll be more photos, so until later!

CTMandR

Voting Results

For the previous update, I will be counting votes in my head, so...

naftixe: Thanks for voting!

gotsomemilk: Thank you for voting!

Mars250: Thanks for voting! and I'll try to keep that in mind as I go on, but for now, I don't know...Calgary is an awfully large swatch of land.

simcitymasterman: Thanks for voting!

Paul5: Thanks for your vote!

K50dude: Thanks for your vote! I'll keep all those little suggestions in mind, too, when I build the areas!

Anarcho-X: Always good to hear from you! I wonder if you like the new kind of style i'm adopting, since that may have been a one-time sort of deal, since its rather complicated. Thanks for your vote as well!

In Other News: the public voting on all the issues as follows: B, B (Originally, it was a tie, however due to a small beaurocratic quibbling, the descision came to B) A, B With a little A, and B. Phew! That was quite a handful of votes for me. However, there are the results!

Ok, So this update is a little different, i'm going to be covering everything that has been voted on in the last few posts, and then some results as well, so lets get started!

Also, I'm awfully sorry for those of you who waited so long! I've been run down from a whole load of tests, driving, and all sorts of knicks, however, the next update will be soon to come, hopefully! I beleive i have time to finish this weekend.

From Update #23Lexington Bay's brand-new Tram system!

This tram system starts out north of the docks, where a new neighborhood was just constructed!

LexingtonBay_29.jpg

From there, the tram makes its way down into downtown Lexington Bay....

LexingtonBay_30.jpg

In the photo above, there is a tram stop, as partially indicated by the sidewalk and the two red signs. These are the tramstops I use, and most of the time they may appear a little hidden.

LexingtonBay_31.jpg

The tram makes its way into downtown Lexington Bay, where I have provided a helicopter veiw of the area, and how the new line has affected business. Apparently, a whole lot. The Largest tower is on the left, and is the Royal Bank of Brentt. To the right, the second tallest is T-TV news station, a regional news station.

LexingtonBay_32.jpg

The line makes its way south, and has a station right in front of the Equitable Building.

LexingtonBay_33.jpg

Finally, the line terminates just short of the suburbs. This, however, is not scheduled to be the last stop, and a second, smaller phase to go into the suburbs is getting started within the next month.

Update #24: Trenton's New Trams!

As voted on, here is the Docklands Light Rail design, there'll be just a couple of photos:

Trenton_33.jpg

One of the busier parts of Trenton

Trenton_34.jpg

The new Tram-in-Street has come in handy!

Update #26: Development in Gertmond

As you all voted to put in a camp ground and have the smaller mesa developed, I have since finished the campground! Here are a couple photos.

Gertmond_24.jpg

The entrance speaks volumes! A large swaying bridge always turns away the squeamish campers!

Gertmond_25.jpg

Situated at the top, a small Ranger Station is always there to help. (I just realized...its supposed to go on the trail! oh no!)

Gertmond_26.jpg

Among the best places of the campsite, a lookout over the large farms in Gertmond!

Gertmond_27.jpg

Finally, an overveiw of the area.

Update #27: New schools in Tavlon!

A host of new higher education schools have come about, including:

Tavlon_46.jpg

Central High School, and

Tavlon_47.jpg

Kentmore Elementary. While these schools boosted EQ levels, the city got to work on cleaning up the area surrounding industry, and in the city as a whole. The next photo is pre-vote trash levels:

Tavlon_42.jpg

And, Post-vote trash levels:

Tavlon_45.jpg

Big Difference! Also, the city got to work on water pollution levels, before:

Tavlon_43.jpg

And after:

Tavlon_44.jpg

Major differences as well!

However, the biggest changes weren't either of these, they were the population and development boom that followed all these, changes.

Tavlon_48.jpg

This is an overveiw of a completely new neighborhood and commercial sector that was built following these improvements! Gertmond can now boast a healthy population of 15,000.

-------------------------

Also, BrookStone now boasts a population of 106,000 Residents! I believe that when this CJ first started there was around 10,000 residents, so we have certainly come a long, long way! Hopefully this region will hit 1 million residents! Well, thats all for this update, It was rather short, and late, yes. But, hopefully you all liked it, and it brought back memories of the days when you voted on these pressing issues.... Anyway, next update on Spokane, so look forward to that in the next couple of days!

CTMandR

K50dude: Ah, but the light rail is one of my little secrets! I have stations that have very few indications, just a raised sidewalk in the middle. If you look closely, you can see a small sign on the edge of the road! However, thanks for your suggestion, and i'm glad you like the storyline! Also, one vote for D!

lordmungus: Thanks for your vote! Thats one for E and two for D!

Mars250: Thanks for your vote! Thats one vote for B and two for E!

Ny24: Thanks for voting! Three for E and Three for D!

Simcitymasterman: I have also seen PEG's new Poltergiest Manor, I just don't know if there would be a suitable place to put it. However, thanks for your suggestion! I think you might be seeing one around BrookStone soon! Also, Four votes for E and two for B!

naftixe: Thanks for your vote! Thats five for E and one for A!

ANDYOUARE: Hey, thanks for dropping by and voting! Glad you caught my CJ! Two votes for A and Six for E!

dimipol006: Thanks for voting! For now, I will consider your vote on A, but i'll keep the other two in mind as well. That makes two votes for A!

1999mnfr: Thanks for voting, however unfortunately I am very disinclined to use a money tree, as I want to simulate a more natural growth. Seven votes for E and three for B!

Anarcho-X: Thanks for commenting! they are always very insightful and i'm always delighted to hear them. I agree that I have to find a place to throw trash, but Tavlon just doesn't seem to have the space for a local center, maybe a recycling center. However, thats Eight votes for option E!

Stomtroopa: Thanks for voting! thats nine votes for E and three for A!

SteveMSim: Thanks for your comment and your vote! I agree that having a better educated workforce would eventually lead to a healthier city, however that may take time. Nonetheless, thats ten votes for E and four for B!

Paul5: Thanks for your vote! thats 11 votes for E and four for A!

In Other News: With a landslide victory, the vote to implement higher education has passed! This will now become top priority of the city. Also, second priority will be to take the trash out of the city. If you count the votes, it turns out the option A and option B were tied, however, the city stated that they could only execute option A with another option, which means that B and E would be too expensive to execute together. Therefore, it is E and A!

In Other Other News: Pardon me for being so late on this update, I have really been swamped with everything imaginable, Including...well, swamps. Regardless, i'll try to get some updates out and really make the storyline more interesting, I hope you all still enjoy my CJ! If not, please, suggest some wacky things that could happen!, I think this CJ should be more lively. Of course, you can always suggest things! its as easy as leaving a comment.

But, enough with the chit chat, its time to see, the....

I spent the night at an out-of-the way little motel on the outskirts of Calgary, and by 6 in the morning had checked out and made my way to some sort of bus stop. It was more like a simple sign with “BUS” on it. In any case, a bus came about after a few minutes and I was on my way into Calgary.

Calgary_59.jpg

The sun was just rising, and already I could see that the roads have been re-paved into a better material to drive on, and the speed limits were lifted up to around 65MPH. Later I would find that I was riding on the newest highway in BrookStone.

Calgary_60.jpg

I passed under a brand-new interchange as well. It looked like it was being put to good use, too.

Calgary_61.jpg

To the right, industries were slowly creeping in on farms, taking one small plot of land over at a time. Some farms were going out of business from being so close to dirty polluting industries.

Calgary_62.jpg

And then I came upon a behemoth of an interchange, this mutation of a trumpet interchange that had several offramps to local streets, and full functionality. There was even a rail line in the middle. Even as a journalist that doesn’t know much about highways, this looked stunning for such a small city to pull off. I only caught a fleeting glimpse, as I had to go East, towards the city center.

Calgary_63.jpg

On my way up a hill, I saw one Amtrak train headed down towards the US.

Calgary_64.jpg

At the end of the highway, after a large hill, I was dropped off at a new train station. I asked around and found out this one was also newly built. It was because this station was situated at the end of a major highway that it quickly became overcrowded with people trying to go farther east, or even west. Therefore, being in such a central location, plans were drawn up for an immense station, one that can handle up to 20,000 commuters a day, or ¼ of the entire population of the Region. That’s a lot of people. Currently, this is the largest station in the entire region as well, and unfortunately I didn’t have time to talk any longer, as I had to catch my train. I just barely caught it leaving!

Calgary_65.jpg

The ride down into the city center was smooth, as expected, I looked around and the way there was quite the same as it always was, probably because there was no space to develop anything more.

Calgary_66.jpg

Soon, I reached Calgary Central station, and walked down to Calgary’s brand-new town hall. A very generic one, but a very majestic one as well. I stepped inside, this was a big day for me, as I was to be a councilmember for a day!

I found my way into the conference hall and took my seat. The meeting had just begun and a man had started talking:

“Thank you everyone for attending today, we are all very glad to see everyone has arrived. However, there is much business to take care of, so we must start as soon as possible. Cookies are by the entrance.”

The man flipped a large whiteboard around to reveal a proposal:

(This is where you can vote! Each of these need to be decided on, so its up to all of you to see what happens to each of these proposals! Also, the proposals can be numbered from first to last, so if you only want to vote on a select few, you can say, 'I vote for blah blah on #2 and blah blah on #5. Which would be the second down and the last one.)

Calgary_54.jpg

“As you all can see, this is an image facing southward of nettle valley, which has now been separated by the new secondary highway. Business for farms has been, well, to say the least, deflating in this area. Many are expected to go out of business within the next 10 years (the ones highlighted in Red). The good news though, is that residential demand is expected to be on the rise, and it has come to my attention that certain companies are interesting in this area. Therefore, we have 3 options:

A: Purchase the ailing farms and sell to the land as bulk to Lex Enterprises. They promise to make an aesthetically pleasing condominium complex, while also reducing highway noise pollution.

B: Purchase the farms and create a new suburb, which would take advantage of surrounding terrain to create more pleasurable areas for houses. This project would utilize the red highlighted areas and the green highlighted areas.

C: Leave the area be, its too costly.”

“Next up,” The man flipped the whiteboard around again.

Calgary_55.jpg

“This is Hallburg, a small settlement just East of Nettle valley. Business here has been booming ever since the station has been created, and companies have been clamoring to set up larger shops here. Two proposals have come about:

A: Allow businesses to build larger buildings. Highlighted in green, these buildings will be allowed to develop into office towers.

B:  Allow businesses to develop as well as houses. Highlighted in green and red, these areas will be allowed to build fairly large buildings. Including apartments and condos.

C: Allow only residents to build taller. Highlighted in red, only these areas will be allowed to build high-rises.”

“Right-O, while I prepare for the next few proposals, we’ll have a 10-minute break, yes?” The group of people in the hall got up and started to converse. I spoke with many council members, and they say this is an especially busy day, with an unheard of 5 proposals. I took some cookies and talked about with the people present. All of the council members come from completely different ares of the city. From the far west to the south to the very tip of Calgary. It was very interesting to find where they lived, and their opinions on these proposals. After a while, the hall quieted down again, and the man  moved to another whiteboard, and flipped that one. I began to wonder where he was getting all of these whiteboards from.

Calgary_56.jpg

“Here is a suburb just North of the expanded highway and the Second Central Calgary (refer to update #19 & the new business park to find out), this area has experienced rocketing demand, but not enough room, so local residents have proposed a retaining wall be put in. The retaining wall is shown in Green, and the area to be filled in with dirt is shown in Red, which the area to be dug out is shown in Blue, pretty straightforward vote:

A: Allow this to be built, and allow higher density buildings to be built on it

B: Don’t allow this to happen, it may ruin some of the appeal of the area.”

“Quite simple, I hope this will be decided with few squabbles, next up” The man flipped the whiteboard. Again. How does the city afford all these? Why not like…a flipbook or something?

Calgary_57.jpg

“Here is a rather costly proposal. The recent expansion of the highway near LexingtonBay has made this area quite accessible, meaning that more people want to live here now. A plan by the BrookStone Regional Planning Authority has come up, in the form of a waterfront development project. The blue would be the waterfront boardwalk, with the red areas being filled in with dirt. There are quite a few options:

A: Develop the waterfront and allow businesses to grow. This can boost tourism and bring in money.

B: Develop the waterfront and let wealthy high-rises to develop. This may prove expensive, but reports say that the cost recouped from extra wealthy taxes more than pays back the initial costs.

C: Develop the waterfront but only let single-story houses develop. Certainly you don’t want the skyline of Calgary ruined by big condos.

D: Don’t develop the waterfront. It is far too expensive.

E: Develop an industrial waterfront instead. Many reports gathered point to high demand but little space for new industries to find a home.”

“Yes, what a mouthful. Let me get a drink here and….we’re off! Our last proposal is…” Now the Man pulled up a giant flipbook and flipped the page. I was severely confused.

Calgary_58.jpg

“Lastly, in the old section of Calgary, planners want to get rid of the farms that are taking up valuable flat space, and flatten out the small hill that has been there ever since the city started, to fill in other spaces. Residents highly oppose this, as they say the farms and hill are a defining feature for their community. There a 3 options with this:

A: Demolish the farms and hill to create a new suburb, with new residents and more taxes. Its all part of urbanization.

B: Demolish the farms for new suburbs but keep the hill as a recreational park. Calgary needs some R & R.

C: Keep everything as is, the community is very beautiful and desirable as it stands.”

He flipped to the next page, showing a ‘Thank You’ From here, all the council members voted, as did I. The meeting was over, and we were allowed to go home. Results would be posted after the general public voted, but I couldn’t stay for that.

Calgary_67.jpg

It was getting late, so I checked into Hotel Christine, a very reputable hotel, much better than that cardboard box I spent the night in last night. I laid down to rest, and before I knew it…it was broad daylight! Already 8, I had to be on my way to Spokane. I checked out and rushed to catch the next train,

Calgary_68.jpg

Which I fortunately did. I bid goodbye to Calgary, knowing I would be back someday. I was off to Spokane!

On a side note, I haven’t been showing much the results of all your voting! Which is why I’m dedicating the entire next post to checking back on various cities that you’ve voted in! Have a good day/night everyone!

CTMandR

Tavlon, The Recovery

lordmungus: Thanks for your vote! I also think there aren't enough rec facilities in BrookStone. Also, one vote for C!

Schulmanator: Thanks for your comment! Quite an honor to have someone of  your stature visit my CJ! And I'm glad my roads could make the top of a "most likely to swerve" list 3.gif

simcitymasterman: Thanks for your vote! Thats one vote for D!

Paul5: Thanks for you comment and vote! Thats one vote for B!

k50dude: Thanks for your comment, its kinda like my way of keeping this CJ interesting. Also, thanks for you vote! I'll split it up, like you said, and say two for D on red, and two for B on yellow!

Anarcho-X: Thanks for your comments once again! Its really great to see that you can always find great things in my updates 2.gif. hehe, win, hehe, brings back memories. Also, thanks for voting! thats two votes for B!

In Other News: After an extremely close vote, the council has decided to create a regional park and campgrounds of space A, and develop space B. Thanks for all who voted! Construction does not have a scheduled completion date, so the time it takes for this to get built is indefinite.

I got off the train at Valencia, and started going by bus again. Valencia was much the same as the last time I was there, so I gave myself a break and took a nap for a little while.

Tavlon_25.jpg

However, the moment I entered into Tavlon, I realized something was different. It was… oh so slightly hazy, a sort of…heavy fog.

Tavlon_26.jpg

I found out why soon enough. Tavlon had developed quite a range of dirty industries, one of the most notable being “Jason’s Diesel generator testing”.

Tavlon_27.jpg

I got off at the next stop, and walked down to the mayor’s house. He was gonna show me around town again, give me a little personal tour, since I was going to write an article for the newspaper specifically about Tavlon. (I wonder how many of you readers forgot we were following a journalist, hm? Haha! I sorta did myself)

Tavlon_28.jpg

First, the mayor showed me what he said was the richest part of the city. It was a slim block of high-wealth houses. He said there used to be a whole neighborhood like this, but they have since moved out.

Tavlon_29.jpg

Then, he took me about 2 blocks down past his own house, and showed me why all the high-wealth residents were moving out. It appeared that all of the high-tech industry of the city was moving out, and some more low-tech industrial plants were moving in their place. The mayor and his council were still confused as to why this was happening. The mayor was glad, however, of one high-tech company that decided to stay.

Tavlon_30.jpg

LEDPro, an LED-manufacturing company, was one of the large High-tech companies left, mainly due to the convenient location for resources. The mayor said things only got worse once one arrived at New Tavlon, and we hopped on one of Tavlon’s new trams.

Tavlon_31.jpg

We went up the hill, and on the ride there the mayor told me that the city recently renovated this route, and managed to integrate the tram into the road. He told me they had to do this because otherwise retaining walls would be needed, to combat landslides. With the tram integrated, they could allow a more shallow slope, decreasing the chance of landslides.

Tavlon_32.jpg

Soon, we arrived at the top, and I realized just how bleak the situation for Tavlon was. Despite the new tram system and new parks, slum-like apartments had been built, there were smokestacks on the hill above, and trash was piling up in the streets.

Tavlon_33.jpg

I asked the mayor why there was so much trash, and he explained to me that there was no flat land to create landfill with, and the residents are opposed to an incinerator. The only option was to ship trash out of the city. However, Valencia is too small to have a waste disposal center, and so it Quentin. The only option is to send it to Calgary. This is where the next problem arises, Calgary already takes trash from LexingtonBay and Lockheart, so they are running out of ships and trains to send trash away with. The bottom line is that Tavlon can only afford to send Some of its trash out, and the rest is left within the city. The mayor says it’s a quickly escalating problem, and contributes to the poor state of the city.

Tavlon_34.jpg

The mayor took me up another hill, and showed me Tavlon’s industrial sector. I was nearly choking on the air, so I decided to hang out in the tram.

Tavlon_35.jpg

The mayor told me he and his council deemed that this was one of the prime reasons for Tavlon’s overall poverty. He also told me that they found out this is the economic foundation of Tavlon. That’s where all of their problems originate from. They can’t exactly encourage industrial development, because it will eventually lead to the implosion of the city, from residents moving out. However, they also cannot destroy the industrial sector, because it too will lead to residents moving out, form lack of work. The mayor said that they must isolate the sector, or Gentrify the area as a whole.

Tavlon_37.jpg

This is where the council is voting on. There are multiple options, all of which will do the same thing, although some might do it better, and that is what is they are voting on. The mayor showed me an overview of New Tavlon, and I bid him goodbye, and good luck, I had to go to another city to spend the night.

The council is deciding on what method it should use to improve the conditions of the city. The council can only carry out one of these, however, it may have the funds to carry out option A as well as any other one. It is up to you, the public, to decide what improves the city!

CalgaryUpdate261.jpg

Option A:

Ship all of the trash out to Calgary. This is quite a large task, as it involves politcial obstacles as well as monetary ones. The council and mayor would have to convice Calgary to take trash into the city, as well as fund more trains to ship it out. However, it may be one of the most effective strategies as well.

Tavlon_38.jpg

Option B:
Install a network of Algae houses (pictured above) You might have seen these before installed in Calgary, and now their back! Installing a network of these around slums and industrial sectors will dramatically reduce pollution, and encourage higher wealth businesses and residents to move in! However, this is a costly option.

Tavlon_39.jpg

Option C:

Grow trees. Just like Option B, except far cheaper! Planting trees around slums and industrial sectors decrease pollution and raise desirability, however the major drawback is that they cannot proliferate into the neighborhoods, creating pockets of pollution.

Tavlon_40.jpg

Option D: 

Entice higher wealth factories by creating plazas and tax breaks for them. This one is a cheap proposition, but is also more likely to fail. Without an educated public, high-tech factories may not want to move in, despite incentives.

Tavlon_41.jpg

Option E:

Introduce higher education to Tavlon. doing this takes up valuable real estate, but also is very likely to attract rich businesses and residents. It is in the middle of the cost spectrum, as well.

I took another bus out of the city, and into Calgary. This is where I would spend the night, and the next few days, I would participate as one of the councilmembers!

CTMandR

Quentin & Gertmond

lordmungus: Hey, thanks for your comment! I really like that Idea actually... *Tinkers around a little with the HSRP mod* hey, thats looking good...I might just do it...you'll have to wait and see! 3.gif

dimipol006: Thanks for your comment! hope too see you again!

panoz360xbox: Ah! you've discovered my secret plan! foiled again! Haha, actually, thats the only unfinished tile (No trees) I haven't gotten around to completing it, but I mgiht just keep that plain there. 2.gif

simcitymasterman: Thanks for you comment!

k50dude: Thanks the PCC Tram, found Here. Also, thanks for your comment, hope you continue to follow my CJ!

Anarcho-X: Haha, thank you very much for your comment, I always await them when I update. I'm glad many people think highly of my maps as well!

Paul5: Thanks for commenting!

naftixe: Thanks for commenting! I think you'll like how Lexington Bay and Trenton are going to turn out, they sound a lot like when your describing.

and now, the feature presentation!

The tram ride back was uneventful, however after the line ended, I had to board a bus (maybe I should think about renting a car) and started towards Quentin. Soon, we were headed into the mountains, and the road got steep.

TrentonUpdate25.jpg

After around 45mins of riding, I encountered civilization. But this was new, it seemed to be a settlement on the edge of QuentinCity lines, however I didn’t want to waste time to get off, so I only saw a small bit of it.

QuentinUpdate25.jpg

As the bus continued, we passed over a creek and a couple of shops passed by.

Quentin_2Update25.jpg

However, these were an odd bunch of shops, because they seemed to be in the middle of nowhere! Well, no matter, there must be some sort of traffic around here. Farther down, a small grouping of houses appeared.

Quentin_3Update25.jpg

They looked so…desolate, compared to where I was just a sly hour ago, in Trenton. Up on a hill near them was another small creek i've never seen before! It merged with the one I passed over as well, I can't believe I missed it the last time I was here.

Quentin_4Update25.jpg

Soon after the houses, I past Quentin city lines, and a small sign that said “Gertmond” passed by.

Gertmond_10.jpg

Now all those small development in Quentin made sense, they were all because the developments in Gertmond were expanding too quickly, and people had to live outside the city!

Gertmond_11.jpg

Farming certainly seems to have become a big part of the city, as a saw a whole lot of farms suddenly appear. I hopped off at the next stop and went to take a little ‘self-tour’ of the area.

Gertmond_12.jpg

Wheat and peanuts seemed to be the most prevalent crops, although there were some corn and flower farms present.

Gertmond_13.jpg

For a place like this, the houses looked real nice!

Gertmond_14.jpg

I walked down the road a little, and then loomed in front of me an impressive sight. Two massive wind turbines, each at least 70ft tall. These were truly behemoths, and they looked as if they could supply power to the entire area! There were many rural streets about, so I decided to turn down one.

Gertmond_15.jpg

Off the main road, sounds died down and things got greener and more peaceful. I passed by a culvert, and suddenly felt very calm, after the excitement of seeing the turbines.

Gertmond_16.jpg

I walked out of a grove of trees, and saw a pond. It was so pristine as well! I had a pressing urge to swim in the waters, which looked extremely crisp and refreshing (Like coca-cola, you know?). However, I resisted the urge, and turned back towards the main road, where I caught another bus into town.

Gertmond_17.jpg

I stopped by in town, and there were many general stores, along with some houses. This area didn’t look so different from when I last saw it, so I decided to keep walking.

Gertmond_18.jpg

Just outside the town center, I saw this great road going down into the larger city. I stood on my toes and took the photo above, and I think it came out quite well!

Gertmond_19.jpg

I went down the road, and it was then I saw the other side (literally) of Gertmond. It brought back memories of Lockheart. Many, many factories, although there were a few modernistic ones, there were still too many, enough to clog up the air.

Gertmond_20.jpg

There was so much smog and pollution that Gertmond put in a water treatment plant-the first in the entire region. Near the treatment plant, there was the council building, I stepped in, and after a small conversation found out that Gertmond had allowed a company to open a second open pit Iron mine, which in turn led to more smelting facilities, which led to more manufacturing facilities. The growth was so rapid that the mayor couldn’t pass zoning laws fast enough, and much of flat land in Gertmond was taken up by farms or factories.

Gertmond_21.jpg

It was a rather unfortunate fate for Gertmond, but I must admit the farms looked beautiful. While I was in the building, I got a see an overview of Gertmond as it is now. Apparently the mayor offers incentives for businesses that build up instead of out. Also while I was there, I saw a new proposal that the mayor put up.

Gertmond_23.jpg

The mayor has put up a proposal on what to do with the remaining developable space. He wants the input of the city, so he has put up 4 options. The red indicates areas in demand, and yellow indicates areas that can be developed.

A: Don't develop the area, its great in its natural form!

B: Develop it, it'll be great for the economy, and the budget!

C:Create some parks! maybe even a pond, that'll be a great stress reliever for the entire city!

D:Create a regional park. A campsite and a ranger station would fit perfectly!

These were the only areas that have potential to be developed. Currently, nothing is allowed to be constructed here, as they are strictly wildlife areas. However, the mayor would like to put it up to vote for the entire population as to what should happen to this area. There are multiple options, and Red is the area that has demand to be built on, while yellow is area that can be built on, but there is no demand for it. I didn’t have the time to read anymore, as it was getting late. My trip through Quentin and Gertmond had taken all of a day, so I turned in at a local motel.

Gertmond_22.jpg

The next day, I rose up bright and early and took a train out of town. I was headed towards Tavlon, since its been at least a month since I’ve been there. Until next time!

CTMandR

Regional Maps, oh boy!

ninosrat: Thanks for voting! I hope you drop by later! One Vote for C!

1999mnfr: Thanks for your vote! hope you visit again! One Vote for A!

Stoney525: Thanks for your comment, and your vote! Two Votes for A!

Paul5: Thanks for your vote! Three Votes for A!

panoz360xbox: Thanks for your comment! it'll help replace the front page satellite view. One Vote for B!

simcitymasterman: Thanks for commenting! I'd put a monorail in if there could be a system above a road, but for now, its too expensive for a small town. Also, Four Votes for A!

k50dude: Thats the Docklands Light Rail GLR, found Here. Also, Five Votes for A!

Anarcho-X: Thanks for your comments, they're always really appreciated. I hope you'll create good regions, and remember, if you need help, you can always PM me. Also, Two Votes for B!

lordmungus: Thanks for your vote! That makes Six Votes for A!

In Other News: A landslide majority has voted in Favor of A, the Docklands light rail. With Six votes for A, Two for B, and one for C, it was hardly a competition. The city will now start commisioning trains, however a re-vote may appear within a couple of years.

First off, How do you guys like the new Banners? I hope that with 3, I can really mix them up every time I do an update. Also, this isn't going to be a big one, I spent a lot of time updating the satellite and transit photos for the introduction page, so i'll be showing them off here. As always, suggestions and comments are warmly welcomed!

BrookStoneSatalliteV4-1.jpg

This is the brand-new satellite photo! It shows all of the expanded parts of BrookStone, as well as city names based on population sizes. Inangrahm is under 'Lexington Bay', it was too small, so I could'nt fit its name anywhere. Also, its a link to a larger photo!

2vk12yg.jpg

This is what I spent the majority of my time on. Its BrookStone's newest Transit Map. Also, Click the map to see a larger image! Unfortunately, the site which I hosted on only allows for a small maximum size, so i'll look to hosting it elsewhere EDIT: I got the photo up on another site, you can now view it in full-resolution!. Suggestions are this are what I would like the most! I really want to make this map better!  

TrentonLightRailV1.jpg

Given that Trenton just got a new Metro system, I saw it fitting to make a metro map for them! It was put together rather quickly, and as the system gets larger I'll hopefully make it grander and nicer. For now, I think this is a fitting map. Also, click on the map for a larger size!

Thats all for this time guys! It was a short update, I know, but map-making is still time-consuming for me. However, i think it was worth it to have 3 new maps for the BrookStone Region. Catch you guys next time, where we will continue with our journalist!

CTMandR

Trenton Trams

Mars250: Thanks for your comments, and your vote! I've listened to what you suggested, and thats why I created something just for people like you, you'll see later in the post. Also, one vote for C!

K50Dude: Thanks for your vote! One vote for A!

Paul5: Thanks for your vote, and thats two votes for C!

simcitymasterman: Trams come with the NAM, I believe. You can check off a box when you install them.

Anarcho-X: Thank you very much for your comments, they always help me improve and feel better about my city-building style. 3.gif Also, like Mars250, I have a surprise for you! Three votes for C! Hooray!

naftixe: Thanks for your comment, and your vote! I was also thinking it'd add character, but maybe I just like trains too much 9.gif. Two votes for A!

tim.12.game: Thanks for your vote! I like your idea as well, but it might go off the track a little from my realistic goals, however thank your for your comment! Also, three votes for A!

In Other News: After an extremely close vote, the council decided to build the new tram system! Initially, votes were counted and it was a tie between option A and option C! However, one man stepped into the building and cited that if the tram system is built, and is built right, it would itself attract high-wealth residents! Some doubt if that is true, however he was the tie-breaker. Work on the new line will begin immediately!

For those who have been itching to see a satellite view, look no further!

BrookStoneSatalliteV4.jpg

Click the photo for a Full-resolution photo! Its Huge!

After much talk and babbling, I can now present the...

Bright and early in the morning, I woke up, checked out of my hotel, and hopped on a bus. I was still tired, and the air outside was still dark, so I didn’t bother looking out my window for a while.

By the time the sun was up though, I was greeted by something I don’t usually see in BrookStone.

Lockheart_14.jpg

Masses of Warehouses and factories, as far as I could see.

Lockheart_12.jpg

It turns out, that due to the population explosion in Calgary and LexingtonBay, Lockheart, with its lax developing laws and minimal regulations on pollution levels, has become an industrial powerhouse to serve the populations of the two cities.

Lockheart_13.jpg

I apparently was passing a brand-new sector, and one of the largest Lockheart has built yet. Farther off, and I could not see this, more and more trees were being cut down by ever-expanding logging businesses.

Lockheart_15.jpg

It seems that with population expansion must also come the expansion of dirty industry. Lockheart has among the most pristine landscapes in BrookStone, yet only about 5% of the land is protected as park space. The rest is open game for industries wanting to set up shop. However, I was soon past Lockheart, and entered Trenton.

Trenton_19.jpg

Which, incidentally, looked far more beautiful and unspoiled than the city just 2km north of it! The suburbs I passed through were absolutely stunning, and I traveled along with Trenton’s brand-new Tram line!

Trenton_20.jpg

I saw a lot of new suburbs popping up to replace farms, and they did look really nice! It seems like Trenton is climbing up the social ladder. Later on I would be told that middle class residents make up around 38% of the population in Trenton.

Trenton_21.jpg

I noticed that one of the existing commercial parks had the tram line run into it, and I say the boys in urban planning sure did I good job blending it in! Although, that’s just my opinion.

Trenton_22.jpg

I finally got to the newest part of Trenton, the great new boardwalk that has been built! It was very large, and I decided to hop off the bus and walk or take the tram from here. The edge of the docks featured a fishing pier and a fisherman’s club.

Trenton_26.jpg

Businesses predominantly take space near the boardwalk, however affluent members of society dot the docks and live up in the hills behind the boardwalk.

Trenton_24.jpg

Main st. even features a ferry terminal and food court!

Trenton_25.jpg

This was the end of boardwalk, and it took me nearly half the day to walk! It was also the end of the tram line. I went into the station, and noticed a bulletin. It was a proposal for which new tram design should be used, and they all looked very nice and very fitting for Trenton.

This is where you can Vote! Trenton's new tram line is great, but all tram lines need trams! It seems the council just can't decide what tram to use, so they've chosen the four best, and put them up to vote!

Trenton_27.jpg

A: This tram is very modern, sleek, and efficient, however it might not fit in with the less-than-modern surroundings

Trenton_28.jpg

B: Based off Toronto's tram, this one is a single car, and fits in more with the style of the city. It also has quite a large capacity for one cabin.

Trenton_30.jpg

C: This tram is much smaller, and therfore more manuverable than B, however it has a smaller capacity.

Trenton_29.jpg

D: This tram is just multiple C-Units hooked together, they may stop traffic, but much more carrying capacity.

However, I did not have time to look at the pros and cons of each one in depth, since I had to catch the next train. I was off, but this time, to one of the more remote cities, Quentin. I would be making my way through Quentin, into Tavlon, and then back to Calgary and Spokane again. Have a good night!

-----------------------

For those of you looking to make a BrookStone-style region, I present...

GuidetomakingaBrookStone-esqueregio.jpg

Making a region is dreadfully simple, start with this map, The Republic of Wamusco, by Vandy. Spokane and Karling are actually out of this radius, since I expanded it. Please, PM me if you want the expanded map, i'll try to get that on the STEX.

As well, these are essential mods, you'll spot them all over my CJ.

-Big Red Fish's slope mod, found Here. (Beware, this is a very extreme mod, I only use it in my BrookStone region, and sometimes I have to take it out)

-Cycledogg's Columbus terrain mod, found Here. (I believe that is it, PM me if it doesn't work.)

-The NAM (I hope I don't need to provide a link, just search NAM on the STEX or LEX)

-The Single Track Mod, which can be found Here. (LEX Required)

-Mattb325's houses, all of them, or some, if you can't fit all of them. Click Here* and start downloading! (LEX Required) *I actually don't think this link will work, so go to the LEX and type 'Mattb325' in the creator search box.

-Lots of Ill Tonkso's stuff, I download the smaller buildings. Link

-Farm lots from BSC. Go to the LEX and look under 'Farming' and 'Farming SF' in the drop-down Category menu. Sorry, I just don't have the time to find all the farms myself.

-The SAM, found Here

------------------------------------------------------

Allright! So hopefully you found everything relatively painlessly. Now, I've just provided some tips, because in reality, everyone has their own building style, and each building style is great in its own way! So, a couple of pointers:

--Lay down some rails. To me, roads are less important, since rails were the main carriers of people before suburbanization. I always lay these down first.

--Find a suitable location. A giant hill is not suitable. A valley or coastal plain is much better. start in flat areas, then work up the mountain.

--Don't be afraid to start with just some farms and a couple houses. Thats how things happen in the real world!

--Water and education don't come for a while, water after 500-1K residents, and education after 1K -2K residents.

--Plan out your routes. You are limited by the slope mod, so it if very critical to plan a route that will make the road blend in with the surrounding terrain. use the Radiation graph to find out where steep slopes are, if you can't identify them in the game.

--Don't be afraid to use the levelling tool around the ocean. I do it to create more land, and to make my coastline straight. It's just easier, and not very many people can tell that the area used to be rough or natural.

--Do be afraid to use the levelling tool around hills. Don't flatten out entire hills. As much as you can, avoid cliffs, and avoid flattening out large swatches of land

--Zone whats in demand. I'm starting to sound like CSG and his natural growth, but its how I do it as well!

--Bus stops and fun! Bus stops are essential, then trains, then trams, then subways. Last but not least, have fun with it! feel like doing some sculpting today? Go ahead! make a new business park? thats ok! Feel like destroying some farms? its all part of urbanization!

Good luck guys!

CTMandR

Mars250: Thanks for your comments! I think i'll include some more short story's. Hope you drop by again!

panoz360xbox: Thanks! It takes me quite a while to compile a regional satellite map or transit map, but that will be my next project!

Anarcho-X: Thank you for your comment! Seems like people liked the story, so i'll try to keep with it, as well as with the regional map. Hope you drop by again!

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for....the...

The Trip back to LexingtonBay was a bit uneventful, much of Valencia, Tavlon, and Calgary seemed the same, but Calgary was growing and growing and growing. Part of Phase III of the highway project was completed, and I passed through this interesting interchange:

CalgaryUpdate221.jpg

Things seemed to be coming along nicely, and only half of the Calgary/Lexington Bay connection was yet to be completed. Other than that, not very many interesting things on my way to LexingtonBay.

LexingtonBay_17.jpg

However, as I entered LexingtonBay city lines, I noticed some large differences, it seems that while I was gone, the city had experienced an explosion of growth! On the city outskirts, a brand-new residential area had been built, with a connection to the highway. It looked very ritzy.

LexingtonBay_18.jpg

As I got closer to the city center, buildings just got taller and taller. These were once a few homes, and now they’re condo’s and apartments and shopping centers.

LexingtonBay_19.jpg

Many of LexingtonBay’s residents are in fact middle and low class, despite having prestigious Marina and boardwalk, much of the citizens that live here travel to Lockheart to work in the logging or manufacturing industry. This is how about ¼ of LexingtonBay looked like; tall apartment complexes with a few condos in between.

LexingtonBay_20.jpg

As one got closer to the boardwalk, the houses and commercial areas got more glamorous, and the buildings seemed a little less cramped. I don’t know what happened, but it just seemed like LexingtonBay was getting a bit poor.

LexingtonBay_21.jpg

That is, until I traveled up to see how the new development was going, and passed by this. It was a completely new subdivision, at the top of the tallest mesa in LexingtonBay.

LexingtonBay_22.jpg

This was where all of Lexington Bay's affluent members were, sitting on top of the city!

LexingtonBay_23.jpg

The streets were well-paved, lawns well-groomed, and it was a very quiet area, as the main road was sunken. It was getting late, so before dusk, I went to check out something that was just built in the city.

LexingtonBay_24.jpg

The LexingtonBay Sports Stadium! It was a very nice stadium, the first in all of BrookStone! Albeit, it was small, but fitting for the city. I looked around, and at night, all of the lights were turned on, so I decided to take a shot.

LexingtonBay_25.jpg

On my way back to the city center, I decided to drop by the mayors office. We greeted each other heartily, and he showed me some new plans that were going to be voted on very soon.

LexingtonBay_28.jpg

This is where you can Vote! City officials and residents have voted on making a new tram line that will run along the boardwalk, in order to help with things like congestion, and pollution. Electric streetcars are planned to be used on the line, as they fit in with the city better. The proposal will not cost too much money, however some residents doubt whether it will be used or not, and recommend using the funds towards gentrifying the area, in order to bring the city more money. Still others are voting on elevating the line, in order to leave road capacity the same, and have a new line! Thus, there are four options:

A) Build the Tram line, you know you want to! Trainz!

B) Don't

C) Use the funds to make the area more appealing to higher-wealth residents!

D) Build and Elevated line. May look ugly, but there won't be congestion for a long time! 

This would be LexingtonBay’s first tram line, and the mayor was a little doubtful about it, he wanted to use the funds to gentrify the area instead. That brought me to ask him why there are so many low wealth apartment complexes, and he said that the rich have moved to the outskirts of the city, where they can still have their own parcel of land, and where things are quieter. He told me the city center was bustling with boutiques and high-end stores, but no ones wants to live there, as its too loud.

LexingtonBay_26.jpg

Finally, he gave me a great night shot of the city, and I went to my hotel. Tomorrow, I’m headed south, towards Trenton. I’ve heard that growth there is exponential, and if the trend continues, it could take over Calgary and LexingtonBay as the largest city in BrookStone!

-------

On another note, the Kandex oil terminal has just been completed. The terminal, along with serving Kandex, also holds supplies for Shell, BP, Exxon, and a few smaller companies.

Spokane_11.jpg

One of the two platforms, these are always bustling with ships.

Spokane_12.jpg

Many ships bear the Exxon and Kandex name. Shell mainly uses this terminal to store oil that has come here by train.

The oil storage areas are massive, and there is even a small refinery.

Spokane_13.jpg

The oil is pumped through underground pipes to storage tanks, or to be loaded onto tank cars, where they will be hooked up to trains, and taken to the US or Eastern Canada.

Spokane_14.jpg

The Terminal is so large that it requires its own source of power, which is provided by the little amount of petroleum that arrives and flows through the Terminal.

Spokane_15.jpg

In the overview, you can see that the Oil piers and loading centers are separated from each other. This is because Kandex could not buy buildings rights for the area in between. City officials are planning on using that in the future, as a major train yard or industrial complex.

Spokane_16.jpg

Thats all for this update! I suppose the next one will be next week, since days are getting hectic for me. However, look forward to a new satellite and transit map! have a good day/night everyone!

CTMandR

Karling

Mars250: Thanks for your vote! And i'm glad you think this CJ's improving! I had a small feeling in the back of my head it was getting worse, but I guess not!

stoney525: Thanks for dropping by and voting!

Paul5: Thank you!

Anarcho-X: Thanks for you vote! That was actually a really good analysis, and I don't think such a small town could support a new commercial sector. Hope you like the new update!

lordmungus: Thanks for your vote!

politicman: Thanks for your vote! I think C is getting quite a few votes, looks like there'll be some new houses soon.

prussanai: I don't exactly know what to think of the Music Video, but thanks for dropping by and commenting!

sunrise: Haha, yeah, the mayor sure likes oranges. Good observation about the trees, as well! Given that there was a palm tree farm nearby, it could be justifyable, but i'll make an attempt to get rid of them. Also, thanks for voting!

In other News: Residents have voted to have around 3 new blocks of prime real estate set up for residential sale! It is estimated around 150 new residents will be able to move in!

I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish, but Beyonce had one of the best music videos of ALL TIME.

We continue with our journalist as he attempts to walk to the next town....

The route leading up to the next town was long and dusty. I went around at least three hills, what a long walk.

Karling_1.jpg

However, by midday, I was at the top of one of the hills, and farms were around me, particularly, more orange orchards.

Karling_2.jpg

This seemed like a nice little place to live. I walked a little further and finally reached the town center, and some pavement. To my surprise, there was a bus stop! I could’ve taken the bus here, and suddenly all my arduous walking seemed to be worth no more than a good exercise. 

Karling_3.jpg

nonetheless, I asked around town, and found out that this place has no mayor, however they have come up with a name, Karling. They said this was about as much to see, there were a couple houses farther down the road…

Karling_4.jpg

And if you went even further, you’d see a trail, they said….

Karling_5.jpg

and if you went up that trail, they said…

Karling_6.jpg

You’d find some lumber. Its stray lumber, supposed going to be used to build a bridge. They said if you went farther, you’d find a couple houses and a farm. This is supposedly where the ‘flower man’ lives. He owns a small flower farm, and every so often, he comes into town from the east…

Karling_7.jpg

and sells his flowers. They are very beautiful, but after a couple days he disappears in the middle of the night! People have gone up that trail, and they say it ends at the lumber piles…but some believe it’s a red herring, that there is a trail up the mountain, one that leads to his mass of flower fields.

Karling_8.jpg

It was a great story, but I received a call from my boss. I had to go to

Lexington Bay, people were writing to him about it, they wanted to know what ordinary life is like there. I thanked the people that told me the story, and went to the bus stop. Within a few minutes, a bus came, and I was off, to Lexington Bay. Until next time!

P.S. Unfortunately, there is nothing to vote on this time, as Karling is too small of a town to really have any projects going on. Sorry, but next time there will be, for sure!

-----

In other news, Phase I, Phase II, and Phase IV have been completed on the BrookStone Regional Highway! Phase III was opted to be delayed, as engineers and surveyors cannot find a suitable way to expand the highway past 2 lanes. Photos of interchanges have been gathered from all along the two routes, and I gladly received them from the BrookStone Regional Planning Authority!

BrookStoneHighway12.jpg

Closest to the airport, this interchange in Trenton lies close to a tunnel that brings the highway to Trenton’s industrial sector, where it terminates. It is a rather simple interchange, yet very effective.

BrookStoneHighway11.jpg

Farther up, Trenton’s largest interchange is near Lockheart. It features the highway elevated, and the ability to turn around, or simply get off and on the highway. This was expensive for the city of Trenton, but proved a great relief to commuters between Trenton and Lockheart. The pond project accounted for at least 20% of overall costs.

BrookStoneHighway13.jpg

Lockhearts only interchange, simple, yet very effective. The two ponds accounted for 46% of overall project cost.

BrookStoneHighway14.jpg

In

Calgary, Interchanges are little bit more….off-beat. Due to lack of space, only certain directions may enter or exit the highway. Together, though, the highway is a very effective mechanism for transporting traffic, as these have been built only after extensive research on commuter routes.

BrookStoneHighway15.jpg

In LexingtonBay, this interchange has just opened, however a new project to expand this portion into a 4-lane highway is already underway. Some commuters between Calgary and LexingtonBay are now choosing to use the highway rather than the ferry. Ferry commuters account for around 68% of all commuters between the cities.

That’s all for this update! In the next one, expect a drop-by on the new oil terminal in Spokane!
CTMandR

SteveMSim: Thanks for your comment! I've had so much time with all of PEG's stuff, it kind of comes naturally. I think the terrain actually enhances the 'natural development' feel of the CJ, since I can't develop it if the area is too steep, so I have to fit houses into awkward spaces. I hope your CJ turns out well! I've been viewing it, and I really like what I see. Feel free to ask me about anything. Also, thank you for your input on the oil port, it'll really help the city council decide!

Paul5: As always, thanks for you comment and input!

Anarcho-X: Glad to see you back! Hope you didn't wait too long for this update 1.gif. Thanks! When I was first making this journal I really wanted to find something that would capture more readers, and it seemed having them vote on the direction the region takes was really a great, long running idea. Also, thank you for your vote on the proposition! I think its a deciding vote, and I agree that its more realistic.

panoz360xbox: Those are PEG's OWW lots, which can be found here (You'll have to register at the PLEX. Or you could look up 'pegasus' on the STEX, and dig through his hundreds of uploads to find what you want, or just download everything!). Thank you for you comment! I'm glad this is your favorite CJ!

And now, I present the...

As I made my way through Calgary and Tavlon, I wondered what Valencia after all this time would be like. I have only ever been there once, and it was a half-day visit. This time, I would be there around a day and a half.

Valencia_8.jpg

As the bus I was on entered Valencia city limits, I immediately noticed more farms had been built, and many of the streets were getting slightly better, they had dirt now.

Valencia_9.jpg

As I rode further towards Valencia’s town center, wheat farms became more and more common, I was beginning to think that someone had built a free grain silo somewhere…

Valencia_10.jpg

I also noticed this, it was a large radio antenna, which was great! I could now turn on my mini-radio and get a signal. I think it broadcasted to at least 3 different towns in BrookStone.

Valencia_11.jpg

Finally, I was down by the mayors house (Notice, more wheat fields!) and I knocked on the mayors door. He came out and warmly greeted me, and then started walking with me around town. He told me that wheat has become very popular around here, and recent high levels of rains had made it possible. He said the town was becoming more of a middle class town, and that some people wanted to see the town expand, but so far he’s managed to keep the small town feel.

Valencia_12.jpg

We visited some small groups of homes, and I noticed that everywhere, there were different farms! Wheat farms, Corn farms, flower fields, bean fields, everything! And the dirt on the streets never seemed to kick up into dust…odd.

Valencia_13.jpg

We went down to the town center (more wheat fields? Jeez!) and I noticed that stores had become more high-end, no more mom-and-pop stores. I asked the mayor about it, and he said that he enacted a policy allowing higher density commercial buildings to be built, thinking that the previous stores could expand up. Instead, boutiques moved in, and although some of the residents like it, the mayor felt bad for the old stores.

Valencia_14.jpg

Other than wheat, I saw corn. Large corn fields, Huge corn fields, they were fewer than the wheat fields, but larger…huge!

Valencia_16.jpg

However, some things didn’t change. This Orange Orchard for example was still around, and it was actually made into a historical landmark by the town (The Oranges are great here, by the way).

Valencia_17.jpg

The mayor told me that because the town was becoming more middle-class, he’s been able to afford in education. Currently, there are 2 small k-12 schools, holding a whopping 70 students!

Valencia_15.jpg

This is where you can Vote! The Council has recently aquired this bankrupt farm, once a great landmark in the city, and there have been multiple suggestions as what to do with it. The following are the best 5:

A) Make it into a historical farm. This farm has been the pride of the town for many years, it would be such a shame to see it run down.

B) Convert it into a more profitable farm and sell it to private owners. Make this farm into a productable farm again!

C) Allow residential developers to build on them. Valencia could always use more residents!

D) Create an office park. Start turning Valencia into a more commercial area by letting businesses set up shop here!

E) Make it into a park. The surrounding hills are a nice getaway, but sometimes a more tame park seems like just the thing!

Finally, the mayor showed me what was before the council today. It was a kind of sad proposal. Valencia’s most famous landmark, the palm tree farm, had gone out of business. The company went bankrupt, and the town purchased it from the bank. There were several options on what to do with the land, all of which the mayor told me in detail. However, until a decision was made, the property lay vacant.

Valencia_18.jpg

After this, I spent the night at the mayors house (again, his guest bed is just so comfy!) and the next day, I purchased some water, and started walking on one of the new dirt roads I saw yesterday. I asked around, and its supposedly lead to a small farm and a couple of houses some residents made, since they were too poor to buy land in Valencia. I was going to check this out. Until next time!

----

On a side note, the project to ship all of Calgary’s garbage out of the region is coming along well! An area has been created to load train Gondola’s up with garbage, and have it shipped out by rail. Phase II is just starting. It will be to convert the current garbage disposal area into a one that will ship garbage out by barge. Here’s some photo’s of the rail set-up.

Calgary_51.jpg

Calgary_52.jpg

Thats all for this update! tune in later this week or this weekend for another one! Have a nice week!