• Moose

Bellingham Journal

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

This will be an different CJ. Instead on focusing in the beautiful images, this will unite all my journey creating and editing a big metropolis.

Entries in this City Journal

f3cs

Hello, welcome to another entry from my CJ. Today I'm going to explain a little trick for adding some realism that I use in Bellingham, the Traffic Oriented Development, the SimCity 4 cousin of the Transit Oriented Development

- Why the names are different?

Because the concept is a little different. Mixed zone is the appropriate, not the mandatory to apply in this system; My system allow use of big avenues if they're the commanding way of the neighborhood, TOD means sharp roads; For TOD, Public Transport Traffic is good and Road Traffic is bad; In my system, traffic is just traffic and the hibrid use is oriented, and you can have things like this:

f2U8ZQx.jpg

A walkable historic city center that can be accessed by avenues and transit stations. There's two stations in this image, can you spot it?

zd6VrFr.jpg

Neighborhood walking to a Traffic Oriented Development; The Subway station will complete the process

- Why use this type of development?

* The scale in SC4 is monumental. So sometimes we will not repair in the pedestrian props, or they will even exist at all. So a Vibrant city can be done by cars and people in the same environment, using car for long distances and walking the short ones.

*Flowing: it's a challenge and a compromise. There's flowing for cars passing thru, with the expressway. There's organized flowing for people and the cars of the neighborhood, with aligned viaducts, what permits that the desired flowing pass thru without difficult over and under the expressway. There's flowing with the buildings, the major part of the image keeps the same average size.
eWrG9R0.png

-Traffic Oriented?

12-5567657.jpg

Real life example; The Tallest buildings faces the biggest avenues. Where the roads are sharper, the buildings are smaller.

4pdPZbi.png

Open That image: You will see the same phenomenon!

ZSrjzHt.png

See? There's a backbone.

- But what about that Sears Tower and the super high buildings in that block?

They have a subway station, so no need for big avenues.

-OK, you have my attention, show me how to do this

You need to know few things to do this:

-Traffic Capacity and Urban Planning
Plan ahead and plan first. No, squarish-squaring-square is not a good plan. It lead you to side streets crossing major avenues and transit signals everywhere. This system leads also to traffic jams and transit collapse faster than any rational system. lay down a road system that leads to the follow: side streets>side roads>neighborhood arterial road>city arterial road(or Highway if it's the case)>Highway (optional if there's none)

Cdj4VDl.jpg

Networks capacities in different levels

phTuKnv.jpg

RHW capacity chart

RhJ5XIm.jpg

NWM capacity chart

This capacity chart and your previous plan will define what type of development you will have in that particular area. Take from example the green corridor in last image. It's two RHW-6S (50000) side to side with an avenue (8000); What give us a notion of what I've been waiting from that develop.

Spoiler

(Maybe not that accurate :( people aren't using both sides

WdxoJaD.png

But the important part of it is: The Capacity of the corridor is equal to the sum of the capacity of all it's members.

RnJtmch.png

28000 sims capacity corridor

Should I stay or should I go?

Spoiler

Your road will attend traffic that is going or they will stay in the way? This will define if there will be full controlled access (highways and expressways), semi-controlled access (Bigger avenues with few intersections and interchanges with other big avenues or highways) or no controlled access (roads, minor avenues and side streets). 

If they will attend both, you'll need bigger avenues, to attend both traffics (I Like OWR-4 Corridors in that cases)

QH9lGet.png

- Zoning and development

You'll need CAM for... WAIT, WAIT! I DON'T WANT GIGANTIC SKYSCRAPERS IN MY REGION, THAT'S A NO, NO!

C'mon man, we're in 2017, as @A Nonny Moose said, Read the Famous Manual. CAM is not a mod-pack to add buildings to the game.

If you need more information about Colossus Add-on Mod, read the text on @Tarkus blog

but the important part for us in that text is:

"The centerpiece of the mod is that it adds new growth stages for each type of zone.  The notion of a growth stage is roughly equivalent to the concept of density.  A Stage 2 residential will have more residents in it than a Stage 1 residential.  A Stage 4 commercial office will have fewer jobs than a Stage 5.  The default game settings include 8 growth stages for Residential and Commercial, and 3 growth stages for Industrial.  The CAM ups the number of Residential and Commercial growth stages to 15, and the number of Industrial growth stages to 10, excluding Agriculture, which has 7 growth stages with the CAM.  The reason for these new stages is to better distribute population and job density.  The default settings end up introducing a pretty wide variance at the upper stages (especially Stages 7 and 8).  The CAM smooths out this variance."

In a text that the central part is the relations between densities and road capacities, CAM has to be your first thought. and we will explore that variance smooth pretty much.

InlRICx.png

hOm3KgH.png

Can you see? all buildings has the same average size. this is a CO$$8 that I'm developing and will appear in the next entries of the CJ. It still has no name, and there will be some parks in it. Diagonal buildings are wanted. But I still miss some transit stations in that avenue, maybe a BRT Project would help

Real spoiler:

Spoiler

Maybe will be the background for the airport too with that hotels:ninja:

The use of the same stage growth buildings creates a sensation of flow and the different types of size creates the sensation of filling. The avenue don't seem clogged too, because there's a relation between the OWRs and the buildings. see the buildings making shadows in the other side of the OWRs. This is what I've been waiting for. I expect to have 40000 sims here per peak. the ones that I expect 60% will stay in that commercial center. the rest will follow to the intersection and to the city center.

The zoning also lead us the possibility of creating that flow, using the same type and average size of zoning.

rgx1MYr.png

(Even that Maxis Bigger school fits nicely in the zoning, wow)

This will create a ton of buildings related to each other, but nothing impede you that if you don't like that building (or doesn't fit in the style of the other buildings), click B in your keyboard and bulldoze it.

That's It for now. I hope that you enjoyed it.

f3cs

Hello, welcome to another entry from this city journal.

The City council approved the Third line of the Metro

Kff9myI.jpg

with a slight change: The project initially ends the line in the front of the Sambadrome, that was already attended by the Station Aclimação. the new project includes the already revamped station Aclimação, with stubs for new lines in project. Here's a image that shows the change:
NMom2aE.jpg

The green circle indicates the new end of the line 3.

Even with that discussions, some stations are already been created, even if they're in a different stage of development

zd6VrFr.jpg

Construction site of the Estação Iguaçu, from the Avenida Bom-Retiro

m0R2Orq.png

From Avenida Metropolitana

7FGGLbm.jpg

New Station Bandeirantes, right next to the old one that will be deactivated.

Plus:

w9c9vb1.png

Transportation in Bellingham until now.

f3cs

Hello again. This will be a quick entry, that will finally fit in the description of the CJ: Me asking for help and doing stuff.

VWMIFLH.png

This is how Bellingham looks right now: A Sprawling metropolis with almost 3 mi people in it. Every metropolis have its problems with transportation Bellingham's is called Bandeirantes Avenue.

2CQD37m.png

Crossing with Avenida dos Campeões, another big arterial road of the city

In few years, the avenue became one of the biggest cores of the city, with 64000 vehicles per day in it's five lanes per direction. All this complex it's right now this avenue is being serviced only by one subway station, Estação Bandeirantes of Line 1, one of the most used stations of the metro system.

9lvqNJY.png

Graphic representation of the usage of the stations and the services

MhPH9xP.png

Image of the station itself

This and the need of servicing more specifically like

- Traditional neighborhoods

rgx1MYr.png

Neighborhood Jardim 8 de Março and the Avenida 8 de Março Expressway

eWrG9R0.png

Neighborhood Bom-Retiro

- Another Crowded Metro station

RnJtmch.png

Nearby of the Finas Artes Station

pLOvFO0.png

- Parks and Landmarks

XVOJkwi.jpg

Parque Iguaçu in the left bottom

D2mXvqZ.jpg

Sambadrome of Bellingham

Led the city to design a new subway line, linking those points:

4tZ5Asi.png

Map of the designed line:

Kff9myI.jpg

Line With stations: Transfer stations are in red

UPje0Lj.jpg

Existing networks

What do you think? Good Plan? Or waste of time and money? Another thing that you want to propose?

f3cs

Hello, welcome to another entry to the Bellingham Journal. This entry will deal with one of the most important matters of the city: Mass Public Transport.

This is a real map from the transport in Bellingham

UPje0Lj.jpg

Superscripion:

Blue: Line 1 Metro

Yellow: Line 2 Metro

Orange: Suburban Railway (Lines A from D)

Red: BRT

(The colors are not the official ones, and are here just to separate the the lines)

This is an tourist map about the stations for lines 1 and 2.

5EyRXX5.jpg

They have the all the names of the stations and the integrations with the diverse forms of transportation. The next images will show a few of them:

AyKASeQ.jpg

Costa Verde Station: The former end of the Line 1, now the infrastructure leads to the new access to the new station and is the integration between ferries and Line 1.

YVFOn9u.jpg

This is the terminal of the BRT System in the CBD, side to side with the Rail terminal, a complex called "Terminal Central". The complex receives 160000 passengers/day.  They're also integrated with line 1 of the metro and all the Railway Lines (A from D) with the Central station. The Complex also gives access to the biggest walkable complex of services in the region.

yaQJHw3.jpg

This is Cosmos/Allianz Arena Station, One of the most used in the Bellingham. Is the Intersection between Line 2 of Metro and Line D of Commuter Rail. Due it's prime location, The station also attends universities, stadiums (That put the name on the station) and one of the most used avenues in the city, the Avenida Manchester. To ensure full access to the station, a footbridge was attached next to the station, crossing the rail and linking Estrada das Lágrimas and the end of Avenida Cosmos to Avenida Manchester.

9yt53vo.jpg

Vila Inglesa Station: Integrates Line 2 with Lines A and B. The station still retains the original characteristics of when it was a station that served a village inspired by the European concepts (mainly English) of architecture and urbanism.

f3cs

Hello, welcome to the second entry:

The entry will be huge, because I'll speak of the greatest park in the region, we have 9km of park (5.6mi if you use the imperial unit)

NOqjENx.png

They're divided in 3 fully connected parks:

-Parque do Canal:

fy8y1X1.jpg

Aterro:

JAHUz4k.jpg

woqZr0R.jpg

AyKASeQ.jpg

Ferry terminal in the right side, in the bottom: Integration with metro system. You can see Historical Museum in the left top too.

5r5LXuq.jpg

(There's another subway connection here too)

And Praça da Bandeira:

JzY5LOO.jpg

There were studies for the implementation of a beach in Praça da Bandeira, but the proximity to the port killed the project.

8FyuNu2.jpg

By the way, this is the reason why it's called Praça da Bandeira: There's a lot of flags of friendly countries and associations

But sims use it very well. There's a lot of gazebos and park benches like this one, where sims can relax and think about life:

kClZEwe.jpg

8lMy1wS.jpg

Aterro:

This is the biggest part of the park. Where the park divides it's space with Jayme Costa parkway, popularly known as Costa Verde Parkway.

KvfproD.jpg

It's know that way because there was no land here in the beginning of the history: It was created with a severe number of landfills (this is what means aterro in the language that the city adopts, the Portuguese). With the new high speed corridor, solutions were also implemented to not permit that the expressway cut the park in half where it needed.

wgp417v.jpg

pedestrian walks and even the sidewalk of the tunnel are used for making the walk of the pedestrians safe.

6S1Kq8d.jpg

recreational stuff right after a footbridge

WOS8m9h.jpg

There's a lot of park accesses if there's need to create expressways.

HbRbPly.jpg

WIth the ease of the parkway, a lot of facilities moved towards to it. The Parliament and the bus terminal are just two of them.

07ueLJm.jpg

One of the biggest residential buildings in the world was constructed in the "parkfront" Near it, the other buildings look like dwarfs *:lol: You can see the "to-implement" acess from Thomas Edinson Avenue to the parkway:

2I9aNuh.jpg

JAHUz4k.jpg

I leave you with the two most important interchanges of the parkway. The first is named terminal. In the second image, you can see Trumpetstack.

This park was inspired by Aterro do Flamengo, in Rio de Janeiro:

https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-22.9276923,-43.1623716,1324a,35y,293.03h,37.44t/data=!3m1!1e3

@Dgmc2013 Thank you for your kind comment. It feels like is organized because it uses a technique that I'll explain later, called TOD.

@MissVanleider Yes, I always have that feeling too. The other reason for having 2 lanes is because it's a very important node in the city.

f3cs

This is the new park from Bellingham, Iguaçu Park. This will be the first of the series of entries that I'll call Parks in Bellingham.

29iNMQi.jpg

With the park, there's lots of options of entertainment, like the auditorium:

qzKTGxY.jpg

XTXRdoo.jpg

Or the library, with it's futuristic design and the museum:

UqbOCET.jpg

PhzJYxj.jpg

Or an Obelisk:

3uYKydK.jpg

(Another neat open shot because, why not?)

XVOJkwi.jpg

This park was inspired by Ibirapuera Park, in Sao Paulo:
https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-23.5878471,-46.6565079,2106m/data=!3m1!1e3