• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Just a place for me to put all the random cities I decide to build that aren't related to Rokton and in any city building game!

Entries in this City Journal

89James89

Replies:

MissVandelier: Thanks for looking in on the project and for the suggestion, I picked them up and a load more houses along them lines and really like the look of them so thanks!

sunda: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you said but thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment!

raynev1: Thanks for following and glad you liked the entry. Hope this one is even better for you!

Ducio: Thanks though I got rid of them as I didn't think they looked that good and that trees looked better, though, as your about to see, it's a bit of a moot point now.

Entry 2: Ok that didn't look natural at all

So, as you can probably guess from the title I really didn't like the way that the last entry ended up and didn't feel that the growth looked natural at all with the huge blocks of industry serving a region of 10k people. As such I took the decision to start over with a new map and a slightly different approach to it where I'm not limiting myself by the RCI indicators and going for a more 'this makes sense approach'. Anyway, I'm sure you don;t all want me to blabber on again with how I've started the town so I'll try and make the captions and descriptions for you all short and sweet.

Initial area.

VDNte4O.jpg

So, welcome to Harrington (again), this was the initial settlement after a few years of people coming here.

jTrxyhL.jpg

After a couple of years you can see some substantial growth in the are and several new settlements springing up alongside the weirdly snaking development of Harrington itself.

fJHaq4I.jpg

Then, came the first bit of redevelopment as an enterprising farmer by the name of Mr Poppin built a market on some of his land to give the sims somewhere central to actually buy stuff.

j8lLt05.jpg

Which led to Mr Pippin (a long standing rival of Mr Poppin) to build a huge and expensive state fair outside of town, which, despite its size is still no where near as popular as the market which benefits hugely from its location, much to Mr Poppins delight (and relief).

UHCeoZX.jpg

Anyway, these two places to buy stuff made the area even more popular and soon Tilby had sprung up across the river to the north.

Ah5Q2wp.jpg

Then came the regions first real issue as apparently the local Mayor had neglected to do anything about everyone's rubbish and, as you can imagine, burying it in your own garden was getting a bit hard what with the top layer already being last years pizza boxes. As such they came up with this brilliant solution where they burn the rubbish in dumped piles, even using the heat to generate some electricity. Oh and don't worry, they also put in a recycling place as well in case you don't want to burn your washing machine!

Q5R3fYV.jpg

Good old Mayor! He even let the workers and bin men build a small settlement, Tenburn, next door (I'm sure its a perfectly safe place to live!)

So there we have, a new and much more natural looking start to our region. Hope I haven't annoyed you lot too much by restarting and that you think its worth it.

Anyway here's the usual overview and as with last time, one hidden in spoilers with place names shown.

LeocIr3.jpg

Spoiler

K2eiGEx.jpg

Till next time!

89James89

Harrington

A natural growth SC4 CJ

Introduction to Harrington

So, this is going to be my second random project that I want to try out alongside the El Hightonia one. This one however will be in SC4 and will focus around no real goals other than slow growth. This will be achieved (hopefully) through the use of my own version of the natural growth method whereby I zone whatever is in the most demand at the time (this produces some odd things as you'll see in a minute) Don't know if this will actually work in the long run but nevermind, we'll find out,

As for mods here's a list of the major ones that I'm using at the moment:

(Yes, I'm actually using mods in this game!)

SPAM (I like farms)

NAM

Several of PEGS terrain mods

I'll try and keep this list up to date with any major mod that I use, added to the list.

Map wise I'll just terraform as I go along (difficult way of doing it, I know but nevermind) but I'm thinking of a delta /bay /river mouth type region.

Anyway without anymore chat lets have a actual look at what I'm doing in the game.

Entry 1: The Birth of Harrington

So, lets jump right in and take a look at the area our intrepid explorers decided to settle the town of Harrington in. A large inlet just of the coast with sheltered but accessible waters which, I'm assuming would bring fertile land and apparently a whole load of trees!

33qlqLe.jpg

So, it wasn't long before our intrepid settlers had built themselves a small and questionably functional town on one of the spurs of land in the bay. The town has almost everything you'd need including a small ferry to actually get there, lots of randomly planned and built houses, jobs in either farming or factories and a lovely church.

EAxJ3On.jpg

It doesn't however have very suitable roads or any sort of commercial. Nevermind at least everyone saves plenty of money!

So, with the town surrounded, the farms continued to spring up alongside other smaller (and bigger, much to Harringtons annoyance) settlements as the growth continued around and across the bay.

fgToRS1.jpg

It was around this time that the demand for everyone to be a farmer died off and apparently warehouses and factories became all the rage. Fresh airs overrated I guess? As you can see here in Riverside this led to some small docks being created to handle the shipping of the goods (ironically enough though this is on the wrong side of the river to all the farms. Also ignore the money symbol and the riprap, its been replaced by trees. Well ok, the money symbol hasn't been replaced by trees but you get my drift).

rIlXAGJ.jpg

So, I continued to grow everything bit by bit until we got to where we are today. The last major project that I carried out (well major in regards to this map) was the introduction of a bulk container ship terminal to supply a coal power plant. The tree burning thingies we were using apparently weren't going to cut it anymore and coals cheap. This along with another bulk container dock thing has been built on the correct side of the river in Peddleton where all the farms are so at least we got this right!

nwPYAwV.jpg

Anyway that's where I left the growing area for the first entry. Below you can see the current overview along with another one (in spoilers if I remember to do it) which has all the palce name labels so you can situate yourself a bit better with the places mentioned in the entry.

uv2rznm.jpg

Spoiler

naMzOMM.jpg

Oh and we still don't have any commercial!

So, yer, there we have it. Hopefully you'll come along for the ride as we grow this into a large region Please feel free to suggest BAT's or mods along the way. I'm open to anything as long as it meets the below criteria.

1. It's growable. Unless it has to be plopped (services, transit etc) everything will be left to grow as it wants

2. Eye candy is nice but lots of it isn't the whole point of the CJ so I might not get all the eye candies!

3. It's realistic or at least has a relevant cost attached. I like the idea of this being a semi functional financially sound city without a tiny mass incinerator which produces no pollution and has no upkeep cost.

Right, I'll shut up now. Hope you enjoyed it and see you next time!

James

89James89

Replies:

korver: Thanks, really glad your enjoying it. As for the road network I'm surer there is many places that use a similar design in the real world though admittedly I haven't seen it either. If you like the road network though you should be happy with the below entry!

Entry 3: Adding more infrastructure!

So, basically this was the whole point with this city, to try and create a functioning densely populated island city that relies entirely on road, plane and boat for transit (no trains, subway etc). As such, since the last entry I've been doing a lot of road work starting, with this small spur in the industrial/incinerator area which had this issue.

fY0O67w.jpg

So, a bit of shifting stuff aroudn and some small scale demolition and we have this distribution spur which, is a much better solution to the traffic.

iqWmhNt.jpg

Next up was the entrance area, where we needed to put in a large scale split to facilitate traffic heading north. A much larger project than the one before and massively oversized for the state of the city at the moment but at least it should hopefully be futureproofed for a little while at least.

38hLkVg.jpg

Random overview of what the city looked like at that point.

8l2jdVh.jpg

Right before it saw some large scale growth that meant I needed to make a few changes to the interchange.

L50I56U.jpg

The other reason for this highway interchange being completed now is to help facilitate the first high rise development outside the city centre in the district centre of Pranada.

XWL5Z8H.jpg

Finally for this entry we have the biggest roadwork project, the re introduction of the harbour splitter, which, was present in the previous version and seemed to work really well so was always going to be in this one as well. The difference however is that I changed the way the connect to eachother and added a third harbour to the system for the local freight that doesn't need to use the highway to get to them (located immediately right of the interchange.

pTvUZSP.jpg

Some bits of the system look a bit unusual but basically I designed it so that they get relatively equal usage, hence why some of the road types are a bit odd in choice as they make the journey times for the different sides more or less equal. At least it seems to be working ta the moment but we'll have to see as volume increases. Though, seeing as we did have an issue already when building it that meant I had to build this small local only harbour on the otherside of the city, we could be seeing more harbours in the network in the future.

wIAhyNv.jpg

For now though, that's a lot of road so we'll end it here with the usual current overview

lOG3oCf.jpg

Till next time!

89James89

Entry 2: Woops lets start again

(Not through choice though)

So, apparently I may have been a bit hasty when I last quit after saving as I seem to have corrupted the save file for Hihgtonia and can't seem to recover it. Shame really as I had al lot of new stuff to show you guys but anyway, onwards to better things!

Introducing El Hightonia (mk2)

So, this is more of a don't worry I haven't quit already update, I've just been a bit of a moron. But, I do have a couple of pictures to tide you all over until we can get the whole thing back on track again!

So here's the current overview of the new city which is pretty similar to the old one at the moment I've just done away with the wall to wall buildings in the downtown, going for a whole high rise look rather than having the old town bit.

2On2uXk.jpg

And now just a couple of other random shots, leading with this incredibly busy food kiosk in the downton area.

f3E18T5.jpg

And finishing with this panorama of the small city looking down the highway (which uses the same system as the other one). Not much here at the moment but hopefully we'll see lots of growth over the updates!

28tFIbI.jpg

So, there we go. Not a huge update but as I said more of the I screwed up, my bad post which I hope you'll enjoy anyway!

Till next time! (unless I corrupt the save again!)

89James89

Hightonia

A Cities Skylines Project!

Entry 1: Welcome to Hightonia!

So, this is the first of these new projects that I'm working on, going by the name Hightonia. Now this came about when messing around with highway systems and finding a pretty interesting (at least to me) way to distribute traffic without having clogged highways.

This is the system.

LwDkDIK.jpg

It's basically a slower two lane highway running alongside a 3 lane highway with ramps leading down into the city. This seems to work really well at distributing traffic throughout the city without causing any back up's at the interchanges. (please note that realism isn't a huge concern here, I'm happy with steep ramps as the idea is to test the system)

Anyway opening up my old Sinatoa map, I started building a densely packed city around the highway without using any sort of public transport (planes and ships are allowed though seeing as its a island map) Below are a couple of images of it growing.

5lz1wCH.jpg

QUeG2hD.jpg

Now, unfortunately, the system wasn't fool proof as I found out when I put all the incinerators in the middle of the industrial zone and gave them a single exit to share with a load of high density housing blocks. The results were this, though I think this is just bad planning on my behalf. As you can see I've begun to try and figure out a filter system for the industrial and bin lorries.

RSIM106.jpg

Which seems to have fixed the issue

gfmeYdC.jpg

Then, I got to talking in the chat here and decided to try and implement a interchange which led to a harbour being planned on the other side of the existing city. Below is the various stages of creating the overly complex interchange (yes, this is all to feed them two harbours, apparently I decided they needed separate entrances so this turned into a tightly staggered double t junction or very tight angled 4 way interchange and took a while to sort out).

HN1YcCF.jpg

9QOt2T8.jpg

z4ukUhT.jpg

Still it works a treat and the separate harbours to the west mean that traffic from only the east use the two connected to the highway.

So, this is currently where I've got to with this project. I think I next plan on trying to expand to the north-east and see what sort of strain I can put on the grid layout of the city traffic wise. I also want to get a passenger ferry in somewhere near the harbour so that should be interesting.

Current overview:

nWyAqcL.jpg

Join us next time to see how this goes!

89James89

James's Random Projects!

So, basically alongside Rokton (whihc will continue as normal, don't worry), I have been playing around with sc4 that I recently downloaded agian and other projects in CSL. Now I love showing you guys what I'm doing and having some sort of outlet for stuff that I make in these games so have decided to start this random projects CJ where I'll document anything I think is worth documenting. Now I'm not sure entirely how this will be organised (or if it will at all, this is one of my projects after all!) as I though there was a sub category features to the CJ's but never mind, If I put a common prefix in each of the projects titles, then you don't have to sift through everything to find the projects your interested in!

As for updates on these projects it'll probably be pretty random as I still want Rokton to be my focus for the time being and I have real life stuff to do as well but I enjoy playing these so expect one every now and then.

Actually I may just do some sort of index in this post then you can click here and follow the link tot he latest entry of the project you like, that might work better!

click the spoiler tab to see the entry list and links

El Hightonia

City Skylines City Journal

Harrington

SC4 natural growth City Journal