• Moose

Lake Nopreille

• Entry
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Hey all!

I've been working on the city below for quite a number of months now (off and on of course), but was always hesitant to share as there is so much still to work on. But after some positive feedback over on Reddit, I've decided to start a proper City Journal here.

My goal with Lake Nopreille has always been to strike a balance between detail/aesthetics and functionality. I wanted to create a beautiful, detailed, and very much realistic city, but equally important the city needs to function as well. If I let the designer in me run rampant, I could easily spend hours detailing a single park and never actually get anywhere in the city.

So here's my plan for this City Journal: As I complete various sections of the city, I will write entries here to share them with you. Think of it as a tour over time, showcasing sections of the city as they change and evolve.

Oh and before you ask, no, Lake Nopreille means nothing other than it sounds cool. And yes, it sounds like the French "nonpareil". It's cool, we're cool. Don't fret about it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you,

Lake Nopreille

jBuph4X.png

Entries in this City Journal

Augwich

Overview

[IMG]

I wanted to post a bit of an overview of my city (very much under construction of course), to give a taste of where I hope this journal can go. Below I have included a "starter set" of overview images, complete with a Cimtographer OSM map.

As I mentioned, much of the city is incomplete. There are massive sections that do not yet exist in any way (such as an international airport, country club, solar array, and lots and lots more suburbs, complete with functioning puiblic transit), and those sections that do are in various stages of completion, with most of it needing more refinements and detailing.

That being said, here's a few overview shots of the city as a whole. Enjoy!

[IMG]
Overview of the Business district, Capitol hill, and shore-line apartments. University is to the right, Highway 10 to the left, and the central park + new developments at the top.

[IMG]
The central park and newer city center, from above. Older apartments around the original park on the left mix with with newer construction to the right. The main road bisects the two (disregard the Opera House just off camera to the right, as it is simply a placeholder for a proper asset). The sunken highway runs across the top of the image.

[IMG]
The central park of the city, looking north. An older cathedral sits just off of the park, amongst the much newer apartment buildings.

[IMG]
The office district, south of central park. The rear of Capitol Hill sits on the left of the image.

[IMG]
The newly-minted university, situated in a small space between the main highway (Highway 10) over the mountain pass and the shore of the lake. An old lighthouse sits on a rocky outcropping to the right (yes, it's a lake, so no, there are no large ships. Just roll with it).

[IMG]
The Central Transit Station, located just behind the university (you can see it in the background of the photo above). With the launch of the Metro Overhaul Mod, I've been in the process of rebuilding my transit system from scratch. This older station sill services the old tracking, but will soon be updated to house the newer metro system. Because having two systems necessitates multiple points of transit between inter-city rail and the local metro, this station will become one of two transit hubs, the other located on the west end of the city. Also, don't mind the wobbly highway to the left. That's getting rebuilt too (I built that before I had the newer version of Road Anarchy as well as Move It! installed).

[IMG]
Business Ave, running east from Capitol Hill (this shot looks west towards the Capitol). An athletic field from the university is just visible in the lower right of the shot.

[IMG]
Rt. 101 (the offshoot from Highway 10 that cuts around the north shore of the lake. Will eventually be the main route to the airport, once I build that). The sunken highway was done to try and keep views open across the route, but the larger apartments still block much of the shoreline from the western suburb here. The center of the shot features the newly minted Inter-Transit Station West (or IT West by the locals), serving as a transit point between the inter-city rail and the local metro system. Due to the release of the Metro Overhaul Mod, massive infrastructure changes are needed to introduce the system completely, although doing so will also allow for the city to introduce it's first subway system, something that has been sorely needed to alleviate traffic in the center of town. This station here represents the first step in this process.

[IMG]
The beginning of northern suburbs. Because of the transit system running to the left of Rt. 101, a more "experimental" entrance/exit system was required (thanks to the Move It! mod for making this possible). The International Airport is planned to sit in the space at the top of the image, along the edge of the lake.

[IMG]
With MOM now being a thing, I can finally have over-road metro systems, and I am loving it. Looks gritty and haphazard, and I love it.

[IMG]
Overview of the brunt of the city, with spaghetti junction in the lower left.

[IMG]
The newer suburbs to the south. Some future planning is visible off to the left.

[IMG]
The city from atop Shelnutt Park, a federally owned and protected park just outside of the city. A nice get-away for the city's residents.

[IMG]
A (slightly outdated) Cimtographer OSM export, showing most of the city. For some reason the lake itself did not export, but it should be clear where it is (the large gap at the top).

Cheers,
Augwich