• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Entries in this City Journal

vintagamer

We're Going Downtown

CnMAEzi.jpg

Welcome Back to New Cardiff!

Hey, it hasn't been long, but I wanted to post a short progress report on New Cardiff.

After finishing the highway, I set to work on the downtown area. I began by downloading a couple of diagonal assets and scattering them about the area.

After about an hour of tinkering, this is the result:

BDxErsT.jpg

IUJBZYh.jpgvXh3rN1.jpg

This is just a barebones setup, I need to go and find several diagonal park assets and such to really fill out the space. Any suggestions?

Replies

@Urban Constanta

nice interchanges. You should review the link for your channel cause it redirects to this post. Anyways i've managed to find you on YT and of course i've subscribed. I'll also put some of my sc 4 videos on YT after i finish my current projects: KOTOR 2 and New Vegas  (moded)

Thanks so much! And I've fixed the link. Thanks for the sub!

@MeMyself&I

You have some interesting and inspiring ideas and layouts.  I subscribed to your yt channel and will stay up to date on your work.  I like the "funkychange" and I really like how smooth your curves and corners are, especially.  I agree with @raynev1 that the interchanges look inviting to build around.  Should work nicely and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop!  :thumb:

Again, thanks for subbing! Thanks for the love on the Funkychange, it's my first try at something so unique.

Shameless Plug Section

Here's a nice 6-ish minute video of me building all this.

If you like my work please check out my YouTube channel. I'm currently building my city of Harinsburg, as well as New Cardiff, which is meant to capture the look of a Midwestern industrial river town. If you really like Harinsburg and want too see still images, written descriptions, etc, check out my other City Journal of Harinsburg:

vintagamer

JSxvL76.png

Welcome to the beginnings of New Cardiff!

Theme for New Cardiff:

My hope for the brand-new city of New Cardiff is to capture the feel of a fairly large Northeastern/New England city. I decided to call it New Cardiff to follow the unoriginal New England  naming scheme of copying British names (such as New York, New Britain, New London, New Hampshire, and yes, New England itself) and tacking on "New". 

I don't want to make it like a huge, super well-known city, such as NYC or Boston, rather something a bit smaller, such as New Haven, Connecticut.

First Step: The Road System

Every good city needs a good highway system, so for this project I decided that would be the first thing to get done.

There are two major highways that I've created so far; one going east-west and the other north-south. The one going east/west is I-95, a real interstate that is very important to cities like New Haven and very busy on a regular basis.

The north/south interstate is  I-693, an imaginary road  that, from my bit of research, would place New Cardiff on the southern Connecticut shore between New Haven and New London, CT.

Trumpet Interchange

z29ASF0.jpgdOQqhk0.jpg

Here's I-95 Westbound heading towards the interchange and the future downtown on the other side.

Ktz7nfG.jpgE6giQ9X.jpgeMtmOLy.jpg

An overview of the trumpet interchange, with the top of the screen facing east. The elevated rail there will head north and east out of downtown, stretching out into the suburbs.

nuNbkmY.jpgH8VJyGY.jpg

A couple more angles, facing north- and southbound, respectively.

The Funkychange

I don't know of any official name for an interchange like this one, so I have christened it "Funkychange".

eqnhZer.jpg

Here's a full overview of the interchange. My idea was to have a functional exit off of I-693 onto an avenue parallel to the highway, while the highway curved off diagonally.

mOgfC72.jpgu9IdUeD.jpguyZWVdl.jpg

You can get off and on to I-693 from Tredegar Avenue in any way imaginable. There's even a U-turn from I-693 North to South.

UixWPNO.jpg

And here's where the Funkychange  ends and Tredegar Avenue begins. I decided to call it this after Tredegar Street in Cardiff, UK.

If you like my work please check out my YouTube channel. I'm currently building my city of Harinsburg, which is meant to capture the look of a Midwestern industrial river town. If you really like Harinsburg and want too see still images, written descriptions, etc, check out my other City Journal of Harinsburg:

Thanks for reading, and merry building!