Frontier City

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Frontier City - Coming Soon.

Description:

Frontier City and the surrounding area is an alpine town built on the shores of the Blue Gill Lake.

Entries in this City Journal

whiteshark365

It's been a little while since my last update, and I still as of yet do not have a full update. My time is now going to be divided between this journal and my Crystal Junction project, which I am really eager to start on.

In the meantime here are some pics of various regions of Frontier City that are currently under development.

DkrfHW.jpg
Starting work on the car dealership section of the city. Once finished, will have 4 large car dealerships and associated repair shops. Most large towns and major cities have large stretches of major roads lined with multiple car dealerships that in some extreme cases can stretch for dozens of blocks.

BomdGD.jpg
North Frontier City under development. Still working on the strip malls along Mountain Side Avenue, and need to do some major detailing surrounding the stores and restaurants.

mBqbbn.jpg
Lake View Apartments and the northern-most sections of North Frontier City. Some fast food joints, and a high school in the background. With the exception of Blue Gill Cove (A future Planned suburb), there is little development north of here.

jIYMZy.jpg
Freeway 10/ Flyer Bypass intersection. This is the only major highway intersection in the city. Freeway 10 in the foreground, and the Flyer Bypass jetting off to the right. Was an interesting intersection to design considering I had to lay the roads around an existing railroad, power lines and steep terrain. More pics of this intersection in the "Show us your Interchanges" section of the C:SL forums on page 19.

pOE15P.jpg
Bird's Eye view of the entire city looking towards the east.

gZpAph.jpg
Satellite view of Frontier City (Population 20,100). As you can see, I have finally finished the Flyer Bypass (Highway on the north side of the city).

whiteshark365

Here is the latest although somewhat small update showcasing Southern Frontier City, a small suburb located to the south of downtown at the base of Dandoric Mountain. Oh and I forgot to mention, all pics are now in wonderful true 4K. This will probably be the last update for a week or two, unless I find some major game-time. I want to try and expand the city to the south and southeast to fill out the area, so the city looks more complete, and not just abruptly ending. Also needs a lot more trees.

xKi6Jo.jpg
Frontier Boulevard in South frontier City looking towards downtown.

v3omB1.jpg
South Frontier City looking towards the refinery.

wV3Zh8.jpg
Another shopping plaza, built on a hill overlooking the boulevard. Now residents have a choice between two major hardware and grocery stores.

rfVRTY.jpg
Sun beginning to set behind the mountains.

lZHGqE.jpg
Some portions of South Frontier City is also known as the town slums. On average households within South Frontier City earn just $30,000 to $35,000 a year, making the suburb one of the lowest income areas in the city. Frontier City is structured in such a way that the northern sections of the city are wealthy while, the south is more poor. Here you can see some of the homes from the freeway.

fWPLor.jpg
Last but not least a satellite shot of the suburb.

whiteshark365

@v701, @RandyE, @Themistokles, @Robban040 and @Elenphor thank you for the likes.

Well everyone, here it is. The first heavy industrial area within Frontier City. The Devlin Pointe Refinery. Frontier City is located roughly halfway between two larger population centers: 200 miles east of Fljót Junction (Population 120,000) and 250 miles west of Svell City (Population 300,000). As such, the city is perfect location for a refinery servicing both cities. The Devlin Pointe refinery is the 3rd largest employer in town, employing nearly 2,500 residents with well paying jobs. The refinery is situated at the base of Mount Devlin, hence the refinery's name.

I8PwFU.jpg
Refinery looking towards the Northeast.

z3Plns.jpgRefinery next to the highway.

7c3vfX.jpg
Devlin Pointe Refinery with downtown Frontier City in the background across the creek.

WaMQrz.jpg
Refinery looking towards the west from across the creek.

eGTVwk.jpg
Route 120 Bridge over the highway.

28bXcy.jpg
Entrance to the refinery with the tanker fueling depots in in the upper right. The gas station located next to the refinery sells the cheapest gas in town roughly $0.20 a gallon less than the next cheapest station due to its close proximity to the refinery. (It gets free gas deliveries) Lucky.

7DKb1U.jpg
Closeup.

QoaU1p.jpg
Another closeup.

tGNqi0.jpg
And another.

nSJWsj.jpg
View from the Route 120 bridge over the highway.

mqKk0D.jpg
A view from the highway.

pveUq7.jpg
Another view from the highway.

1T3Rln.jpg
Refinery at night from the highway.

aDaBjp.jpg
Night shot.

oVUSpY.jpgAnother Night shot.

r7OHED.jpg
Closeup at night.

And here are some street views from inside the refinery.

XRBNu7.jpg

trFwoa.jpg

P8QMxq.jpg

z26tBV.jpg
Satellite view closeup.

cJDKTV.jpg
And finally a satellite view of Frontier City so far.

whiteshark365

Frontier City has a new addition, the Blue Gill Beach Community. This district of the city is situated to the north of downtown between Blue Gill Lake and the Flyer Bypass. Blue Gill Beach is a upper-middle class lakeside community, where residents can enjoy a quite retreat from the town in a mountain-lake type atmosphere, and even fish on their own docks. While most of the community is relatively recent, some homes on the lakeside hills have been here since the founding of Frontier City.

Paehqp.jpg
Blue Gill Beach Community viewed from the lake looking towards downtown. The homes in the foreground are among the most expensive in Frontier City, often selling for upwards of $500,000 to $600,000.

rt20od.jpg
The Community viewed from the Frontier City inlet. An illusion created by the lightening, the homes closest to their water are actually built on a hill about 20 meters above the lake.

gBFNuJ.jpg
A Closer Look at the lake. The center of the peninsula has lower value homes due to their distance from the lake shore. However, the minimum sales price of any residence within Blue Gill beach was still $350,000.

a1C5eD.jpg
Flyer Bypass with Blue Gill Beach in the background and the Flyer/ Blue Gill Parkway intersection in the foreground. (Still not done with the area, needs more trees and guardrails.) The Flyer bypass is a city funded project that created a bypass or spur highway off the main interstate, allowing residents from the northern and central sections of Frontier City to have a faster access route to the main highway.

igO9Kc.jpg
A beach shot within the community. Very rarely does anyone go swimming. The waters are often too cold (under 50 F most of the time), and the Blue Gill Monster legend keeps locals out of the water. Still the lake is a great fishing spot, and some residents do take their boats into the lake for fun.

NGj3zz.jpg
Satellite view of Blue Gill Beach.

GCAKgd.jpg
A Closer Shot.

mj6yKM.jpg
The middle of the night, the road is quiet, and only one house seems to still be awake. (Midnight within Blue Gill Beach.)

whiteshark365

Frontier City starts to come together. The various districts within the town have begun to come alive, as the town develops and grows. Every block painstakingly takes hours to develop.

IjBNuh.jpg
Northern Business District (North Downtown) filled with restaurants, fast food joints, motels, and shops. Need a burger, drive thru. Want a new TV we have that too.

FeSwpZ.jpg
Northern business district at night. The night is late and stores begin to close. The faint lights you see in the upper background are the Blue Gill Lake Power Cooperative's Power Plant.

8XMuBZ.jpg
Remembrance Junction. Gosmer Statue, erected in memory of the first colonists who died trying to make a home on this world.

5MVdll.jpg
Kelvin's Memorial Remembrance Cemetery, and St. Kevin's Church. Most grave stones have no name, and buried beneath are the various human remains found throughout the region. The current colonists wanted to pay respect to those who came before them without a name, and give them a proper burial.

2zO1if.jpg
Route 120 looking towards the east. West Blue Gill Elementary School and High School to the right and the city's main power lines to the left. This road is among one of the busiest in the city, linking downtown with the western industrial sector.

Pa6BSk.jpg
Route 120 splitting downtown from the harbor. Here the lake can be smelt, but not quite seen. Early Morning, everyone is at work and kids are at school, the streets begin to calm down.

l2SJah.jpg
Downtown Blue Gill Harbor. A Small fishing harbor where tourists and residents alike can rent a boat for a tour or the lake, or just to fish.

7iey7b.jpg
The harbor from a wider angle. Note the Blue Gill Parkway to the right side of the image. It should be known that very few locals will venture out on the lake. The legend of the Blue Gill Lake Monster is taken quite seriously among locals, especially considering the grim history of Dark Beach located 4 miles to the East of town. While locals are afraid to go on to the water, tourists actually visit the town for the sole purpose of hoping to catch of a glimpse of the supposedly mythical creature.

VDiG8x.jpg
Downtown viewed from inside the harbor. The majestic peaks tower over even the tallest sky scrapers, giving a real sense of how small the town is compared to the mighty Celsect Mountains.  The Dandoric Peak soars to an altitude of 18,000 feet.

m6fI5i.jpg
Updated satellite image of the city. Downtown corridor is angled 45 degrees relative to the western portions of the town. Note the harbor in the center and high school sports fields to the center lower left.

whiteshark365

Frontier City Welcomes you to it's first official posting. Frontier City is a large mountain town built under the gaze of tall mountains and the mysterious Blue Gill Lake. Inspiration for the city's size, layout, and image is from spending hours looking at maps and images of cities in Montana and Wyoming, such as Billings, Missoula, Cheyenne, and Casper.

A1PzV4.jpg
Southern Downtown.

KqssPs.jpg
Southern Downtown looking towards the southwest.

HJFv4A.jpg
A view from the roof of Frontier City Memorial Hospital.

GVdEzh.jpg
Frontier City Memorial Hospital.

ZVr7p8.jpg
South City Park.

oADBUh.jpg
In the shadow of the great peak.

XjxUrN.jpgA view from the freeway.

XJ4fgz.jpg
Apartment complex's along the freeway.

5RaboP.jpg
Southern downtown at night.

KXYBUq.jpgLooking towards the north.

3P1tmo.jpgHigh school sports fields before the big game.

0hyBJ9.jpg
The game from a distance.

eZ4zSy.jpgUpper Road looking towards the north.

Avz8CV.jpg
The eerie glow of the mountain.

xwSIA3.jpg
Satellite photo of Southern downtown.

DB4GnD.jpgSatellite closeup.

whiteshark365

Pre Entry 2.0

Hey everyone,

Work on the city has begun; however, it is taking quite a bit of time. Already completely demolished downtown and rebuilt it 3 times. Below are a few preview pics of the town, and things to come. Hope you enjoy.

8lVEBb.jpg
Looking towards downtown from the trailers along the creek.

zxlrHg.jpgTown Shops.

X1xJdt.jpgMain Street in central downtown. Police station to the left.

4ovlXv.jpgLooking towards the west. The US Bank building in the background is the town's second tallest building.

whiteshark365

Well everyone, all the utilities are up and running and work on the actual city is about to begin. Below are some pics of additional work I have done on the junk yard. Additionally, I finally am happy with how the recycling center turned out, and I added a few details to the area immediate surrounding the junk yards and recycling center.

Enjoy.

EJLTSR.jpgSatellite image of the landfill, junk yard, scrap yard, and recycling center. This area will eventually be an extension of the towns main industrial center.

Y8isVr.jpgBird's Eye View.

EJXkPg.jpgEntrance to the town's waste management district. A single gas station provides service to passing motorists and residents within the district.

viP2Lx.jpg
Pewter Recycling Conglomerate's primary recycling hub.

VdkOkv.jpg

CTjUm3.jpg
Inside the recycling hub.

8fOzuY.jpgNo Industrial Junkyard area is complete without a nearby trailer park.

dHCayA.jpg
Another shot. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not understand the games logic of having people who live in trailers drive fancy Tesla's.

Q7m1GJ.jpg

h6oj3v.jpg
Entrance to the trailer park off of the tracks. Note the small homes built to the right, the managers of the park live in these homes. Must be a a noisy place next to the tracks.

8JWIED.jpgThe lonely house at the end of the road.

oY2PkU.jpgFuture location of the town. So far I am still formulating ideas on how to construct the town. Spent already several hours looking at satellite images of large towns in Montana and Wyoming to give me some ideas.

vdZA4y.jpgMain intersection leading into the future town of Frontier City.

q9YmVU.jpgAcross the creek into town.

kxdGwo.jpgFrom the other direction.

95Wk7C.jpgCenter of the intersection.

XgQQ4R.jpg
Looking towards the lake.

FonAzb.jpgLooking towards the mountains.

yNVc3R.jpgAt Night.

The city might take a while to develop, since every since building takes hours of detailing to come out just right.

Feel free to leave any comments or offer and suggestions.

whiteshark365

The last of Frontier City’s utilities is finally near completion, and that is the town’s garbage removal, storage and recycling centers. I would have posted this update sooner; however, the natural disasters update hit me extremely hard, creating numerous mod and asset issues. At the expense of sounding corny, the update was a true disaster for the game.

Two entities provide services to Frontier City: Northern Waste Management Corporation and Pewter Recycling Conglomerate. Northern Waste Management Corp handles all trash pickup, storage, and operates the town’s landfills. Pewter Recycling Conglomerate, is a national organization that handles recycling for roughly a third of the entire plant’s population centers. The company maintains multiple facilities located to the west of Frontier City, and maintains a massive fleet of trucks.

I am not entirely happy with how to junk yards and landfills came out, and may make some significant changes in the future; however, most of the issue is just game limitations with the props that I must work with. The recycling center will likely be completely redone. I think it is too small and needs more components, such as trash piles and warehouses. I just need to get some inspiration from looking at a lot of aerial photos of recycling centers to figure out how to proceed moving forward.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to enhance this area please feel free, I do not mind adding some interactivity to this journal.

Zbe0mz.jpgScrapyards and landfills to the center top, recycling center to the lower left. (Note: The recycling center will likely be torn down and rebuilt)

fGaWJc.jpg
Another Bird's Eye shot of the junk yard and recycling center.

XMTXeh.jpgSlightly closer view.

s52je6.jpgCloseup Satellite View. (As the town expands, the empty blocks will eventually become part of the town's industrial center.

meU8DK.jpg
Landfill. (This area could use some more work, probably some more piles of dirt, some deep pits dug, and more equipment, with parking for workers.

XGVofi.jpg
Garbage/ Recycling sorting facility in the foreground, and scrapyards in the background. Old abandoned house in the middle, abandoned after the junkyards got too large. Now it just sits in an empty overgrown lot.

p84gRY.jpgCloseup of the junkyard where rusty and decrepit vehicles are stored. (Thinking of expanding this into a large block across the main road, probably 3 times the size.

ZGriPa.jpgAnother view of the junk yard.

aDrfG9.jpgAnd another.

TySH5i.jpgAnother Junk Yard lot where industrial containers and trailer beds are kept.

crC6rw.jpgAnother shot of the container junkyard.

OmlYQg.jpg
Junkyard at night. The managers of the yard do not like paying for electricity; therefore, the yard is only minimally lit.

e7XrDN.jpgContainer yard at night. The owners of the container yard actually live in a trailer on the property.

whiteshark365

Thank you for everyone who viewed and is following this journal.

Here it is after a weeks worth of work, Frontier City's water pumping and sewage treatment plant, owned by the Frontier City Municipal Water Supply District. The plant draws water directly from the Blue Gill River, and has a pumping capacity capable of serving a population of a quarter million. While Frontier City is not that size, the plant provides water and sewage treatment services to a much larger area beyond Frontier City's borders. The entire plant is environmentally friendly, using only biodegradable chemicals, and natural bacteria to treat sewage, while the primary pumps extract water by diverting it into a canal which is protected by a series of screens to prevent any fish or other wildlife from getting sucked into the pumps.

TGOv8r.jpgWater Pumping and treatment plant looking towards the west.

rXoa2G.jpgWater Pumping and treatment plant looking towards the east, with Blue Gill Lake in the background.

NekPL1.jpgSewage treatment basins used to naturally treat raw sewage with bacteria and environmentally friendly (biodegradable) chemicals.

D1e0Mh.jpgClose-up of one of the treatment basins. Note numerous vegetation grows along the edges despite the toxicity of the water. These basins often have the appearance and smell of a swamp. Water after primary treatment drains through an underground network of drainage pipes and dirt filters, acting in a way like a giant septic tank.

mCbmeG.jpgSewer Treatment Chemical storage between the basins. These chemicals are biodegradable; therefore, are kept outside in the open, since runoff is no threat to the environment.

fDGNCN.jpgThe final stage in treatment before water is injected into the ground.

ZAR5ZC.jpgWater Pumping and drinking water treatment facility.

250m4a.jpgPrimary water pumps, which extract water directly from an artificial canal.

v98rRl.jpgFirst stage treatment process which utilizes a combination ozone/ ultraviolet treatment system to kill 99.99% of all bacteria and other microorganisms.

T4UST4.jpgSecond stage treatment process which mixes chlorine and fluorine into the water before sending the water into water mains servicing the area.

shZzIB.jpgWater quality monitoring and testing facilities. These are used to ensure that the water quality remains consistent and safe for human consumption. Also used to monitor plant operations.

CZKvBx.jpgEmergency water storage reservoir. This 25 meter deep pool stores water in the event that the Blue Gill River's water level drops below the canal floor. While this has never happened in the plant's operating history, the plant still prepares for the possibility.

Xpi2ki.jpgIntersection of Freeway 25 and Water Works Blvd.

oVQXgb.jpgAnother shot of the exit into the water plant.

TQ33Hh.jpgClose-up of the plant entrance viewed from the exit ramp.

q0i6SV.jpgFront Entrance.

79aFMG.jpgNight shot of the plant.

2PTdUG.jpgAnother night shot, looking across the canal bridge to the south.

MYEM3m.jpgNight shot of two of the pumping stations.

8vIGur.jpgSunrise over the plant.

aTzirO.jpgEarly morning.

yhb70o.jpgSatellite image depicting the Frontier City Municipal Water Supply District's Plant to the lower center and the Blue Gill Lake Power Cooperative Plant to the upper left.

ydvhx6.jpgCloser satellite image of the plant and sewage treatment basins.

nIRlG2.jpgAnother closer satellite image. A lot of space was left between the highway and treatment basins, due to there being the possibility of some industrial development near the plant in the future.

UWNi7k.jpgExtreme satellite close-up. it is easy to tell where trees were artificially planted, since they have a higher density relative to the surrounding forests.

I spent many hours on YouTube, watching videos from players such as Freshpopcorn, Fluxtrance, and Strictoaster which give me a great deal of inspiration for this water plant. In particular Arrowhead Junction Episode 9, gave me a lot of different ideas for going forward. If either of you three follow these forms, incredible work on your cities btw.

whiteshark365

Hey guys,

Work on setting up the town's utilities continues to progress at a slow rate. The water plant has occupied my time for almost the entire week. I keep not being satisfied with the design I come up with, so end up restarting it all from the beginning, but now finally, I have a layout that blends well with the region, and has the appearance of a realistic water plant. The catch however, is that the water plant is only half of the work, now it is off to creating the wastewater detention basins and facilities. In addition the the water plant, I've also been working on some preliminary road layouts throughout the map. Small county roads that wind through the region and access the utility areas. The main interchange to the town is also partially completed. Below are a few preview pics of the work in progress. Hopefully sometime this weekend or early next week, the pics of the water plant will be ready.

QtWD0Q.jpg

Teaser pic of a small portion of the the water plant above. Not particularly revealing, but you can see from the wide-spaced layout of everything that this is only a small part of a very large plant, and the construction equipment also provides a better sense of the place being under construction.

ujXq2Z.jpg

Main Street/ Freeway 25 intersection in the works. Still not complete, fair amount of landscaping and fine-tuning left. The final design will likely change after I start laying out Frontier City's inner-town street network. This intersection will be the primary exit off of the freeway leading directly into town.

whiteshark365

The Blue Gill Lake Power Cooperative provides all the power needs for Frontier City and surrounding region. The power plant primarily generates electricity through the burning of liquefied natural gas, and through clean coal burning processes. Shipments of coal and natural gas arrive weekly, and the plant stores enough fuel on site to provide power for up to a year without needing any supplies. The plant connects directly to the regions rail system, allowing for rapid train-based shipments of materials.

Frontier City is located in a region of the planet that experiences frequent weather fronts that often result in powerful thunderstorms and blizzards. 107 Piscium Major’s atmosphere is 33% thicker than Earth’s; therefore, wind has 1/3 more strength than wind on Earth. Thus, high speed winds are much more dangerous and destructive.  The North Valley Plant is equipped with its own weather radar with a direct connection to the planet’s weather satellites. During periods of high winds, the plant goes into safe mode and reduces power production. Factories, businesses and schools are notified in the town to completely shut down within 12 hours of a notification being sent, and power is only than provided to residences, shelters, and emergency services. While operating in safe-mode two thirds of the plants transformers shut down to avoid any power surges if high winds damage any of the electric infrastructure.

Plant Statistics:

Name: North Valley Plant

Peak Output: 719 Megawatts.

Employees per shift: 75

Emergency Mode Output: 75 Megawatts.

Maximum Natural Gas Storage: 1.5 years.

Maximum Coal Storage: 150 days.

TnJvs9.jpg

NtD6bj.jpg

jC9SG5.jpg

dgvmXw.jpg

FBj4dw.jpg

2RRibB.jpg

k6S4ho.jpg

t8fNXA.jpg

PvCsT5.jpg

LMwAVq.jpg

RysmDw.jpg

CkYXRm.jpg

4HjtGV.jpg

hR8TEn.jpg

j1K6Xs.jpg

whiteshark365

Here it is everyone, the story of the region, and my plans for developing Frontier City. Pics of the town's utilities in development coming next.

Frontier City – The Plan:

Frontier City will not be some bustling metropolis lined with tall buildings and international airports. Rather, my plan for the region is to develop a large mountain town, the final population of which will be somewhere between 40,000 and 60,000. Frontier City will be the main town, and will contain roughly half of the region’s population. The remainder the citizens reside in multiple satellite towns and rural developments.

Logging and mining are going to be the primary industries driving the region’s economy.

Frontier City is located on the planet 107 Piscium Major, the second planet orbiting the star 107 Piscium, which is located approximately 24.4 light years from Earth in the constellation Pisces. I have attached stellar and planetary statistics for any astronomy enthusiasts out there. The city is built within the planet’s northern temperate belt, approximately 1,000 kilometers south of the Northern Ice Sheet.

Climate:

107 Piscium Major is a planet that orbits a smaller and dimmer star than the sun, (a K1V-type orange dwarf). Orbiting closer to the sun at an average distance of 0.67 AU, results in the planet only receiving lower levels of solar radiation, and the atmosphere has less than half of the carbon dioxide content of Earth; therefore, the planet is significantly colder than Earth, with an average temperature of 49°F (8°C), or roughly 13°F (7 °C) colder than Earth. Thus, the planet exists in a near perpetual ice age, with ice sheets covering over 10% of the planet’s surface, and ocean levels low enough to leave the continental shelves exposed.

While the planet possesses tropics with temperatures comparable tropical conditions on Earth, most of the planet’s climate is either temperate at lower latitudes or sub-arctic at middle latitudes. Frontier City’s climate is reminiscent of this. Summers are mild with highs in the upper 70s, while winters are cold, frequently dropping below 0°F. The climate of the city can best be described as Alpine or even boreal. Years on the planet are short, lasting only 223 days; therefore, seasons are equally a short with only 56 days in each season.

History of 107 Piscium Major

The history of the planet is one of great sadness of the challenges faced the Earth’s early space travelers and early human arrogance. Originally, the planet was first visited in the year 2149 by the space explorer Ferdinand Rutledge. Being the 5th closest planet to Earth capable of supporting human life, Earth’s unified government began sending colonists to the planet between the years of 2169 and 2182. By 2190 the planet supported nearly 2.4 million colonists.

Unbeknownst to the colonists, the journey to the planet gave the settlers a genetic disease. Early human space travel involved using cryogenic stasis pods. It was originally believed that people in their frozen state would be immune to the effects of cosmic and solar radiation. Unfortunately, this was a great error, which was not discovered until the colonists between producing children. Nearly all children the colonists were sterile and suffered from genetic deformations. At the same time this became known, wars on Earth cut the planet off from all contact with Earth, and by the year 2265 all the colonists were dead from natural causes, and their children from genetic disorders.

Along for the ride to the planet also included domestic animals and other forms of life. These animals included: dogs, cats, rabbits, mice, rats, pics, deer, bass, blue gill, sun fish, just to name a few. Ironically, their animals were able arrive on the planet relatively unharmed by the effects of cosmic radiation. These animals once introduced and after the death of the colonists heavily damaged the planets ecosystem on the northern continents. The most destructive species ended up being the cute cuddly bunny rabbits, which reproduced at exponential rates, and had no predators to control their population. This is exactly what happened in Australia, but on a scale spanning an entire hemisphere.

Eventually wars on Earth ended, space travel resumed, and Earth began sending colonists back to the planet starting in the year 2315. New spacecraft not only were able to use wormhole drives to travel faster than light, but were also equipped with magnetic shielding which protected the crew and passengers from cosmic and solar radiation. New arrivals set foot on a world covered in the ruins of the previous inhabitants, and a drastically altered ecosystem, dominated by Earth-based animals. By 2440, 107 Piscium Major had become a prosperous and productive planet supporting 50 million human setters, orbited by several large space ports.

History of Blue Gill Lake:

Blue Gill Lake gets its name from Blue Gill, which were introduced into the lake and thrived, Blue Gill lake has a somewhat dark and mysterious history. The lake was first inhabited by the planet’s original colonists which described the lake as an alpine paradise surrounded by riches. Mountains were rich with valuable ore such as uranium, gold, nickel, copper, and other metals. The forests contained near limitless supplies of wood, since trees grew twice as fast on the planet as their Earth counterparts. The region however, had a history of people vanishing without any trace.

After being resettled, numerous abandoned mines were found scattered in the mountains and dozens of collapsed logging mills. One of the more bizarre discoveries along the lake’s shores were three fortified gun turrets, pointed directly across the lake. To this day, no current colonist understands their true purpose, but most believe that towards the end, the last remaining settlers before dying completely out waged war for what few resources were left. More wild theories point towards defense against the legendary Blue Gill Lake Monster.

Blue Gill Lake Monster:

Original colonists of the planet and today’s colonists have both passed stories along about a great serpent-like beast which lives in the lake, which reaches up to 60 feet in length. This creature reportingly likes to roam the marshlands at night, rest on the numerous rocks protruding from the lake, and even kills anyone that gets too near to its resting place. A region on the lake known as the dark beach is notorious for the disappearance of swimmers, and even people who simply stroll along the beach. To this date sightings and disappearances continue, but official searches always come up empty.

Blue Gill Lake reaches depths of up to 242 feet and contains an extensive under-water cave system near its southern shores. Additionally, the Blue Gill River both feeds the lake and drains the lake, the river itself reaching up to 70 feet in depth. If the monster is real, three possible theories have been put forth for why it has not yet been found: it hides in the underwater caves, retreats either up or down-river, or it has skin which absorbs scanning waves. To this date, colonial scientists officially say there is no monster in the lake, but admit they still know so little about existing life on the planet, that anything could be possible. The dark beach region in the mean-time has been deemed off-limits to all, under penalty of incarceration.

MZSSCc.jpg

Southern View of the Region

9zjZce.jpg

Northern View of the Region.

z4dhSa.jpg

Planned Location of the town and utilities above.

Below are statistic charts for the sun the planet orbits and the planet itself, not really city related, but part of the story.

Star Data Below

t31xMb.jpg

Planet data Below

eCEZi3.jpg

HFEiRQ.jpg

YTNKzE.jpg

whiteshark365

The map making process is finally over. Below are some pics from the map. If anyone is interested, the map has been posted on the stream workshop under the name Blue Gill Lake.

The region history, story, and feature labels are all to come. Lots of work still to do before I actually start on the city.

History of Blue Gill Lake should be posted by this weekend.

kc4uZi.jpg

kf97Z7.jpg

IHPLU8.jpg

8qvgYQ.jpg

TaFiQ8.jpg

jmQgQI.jpg

HPwySx.jpg

478K5E.jpg

cDO42Z.jpg

y44jVX.jpg

btSzlo.jpg

rTAyOH.jpg

RUIA7a.jpg

whiteshark365

SwZrIW.jpg

Looking southwest across the Blue Gill Lake.

Nearing the final stretch. After over two weeks of creating Blue Gill Lake, the finish line is near. Nearly all of the terraforming of the mountains, streams, rivers, and lake beds is complete, and the task of adding vegetation has begun. Still probably another few days are left before the map is completed.

Items still left to complete are as follows:

1. Adding all trees and other vegetation.
  2. Completing the remaining terraforming on the southern end of the map.
  3. Adding Highways, county roads, and rail connections.
  4. Fine tuning the lake beaches.
  5. Completing the marshlands where Blue Gill Lake drains back into the Blue Gill River.
  6. An overview map of the region with all points of interest labeled.
  7. Creating the story line for the region with a history of the lake.
  8. Customizing the current map theme.

GHBqBb.jpg

Looking towards the Northeast.

qhAQLj.jpg

Blue Mountain Lake near the southeast corner of the map.

bWh2So.jpg

Shores of Blue Mountain Lake.

whiteshark365

FhjVrf.jpg

The section of the map in the background is nearing completion. I've stared adding trees, grass, and rocks, adding a new dimension to the region. it is starting to look more like an alpine lake now.

81I5yz.jpg

Better Satellite view centered on the Blue Gill River. The snow on the mountain tops has a slightly brownish tint due to using the oil resource to simulate snow. To be honest I am still debating where I want to develop Frontier City at, but as the map progresses I'll get a better idea. One of the challenges when developing the city is that there is little flat ground. All of the region experiences some sort of elevation change. Even the areas that look flat on the map experience 10 to  30 meter elevation changes over relatively short distances.

35rSNp.jpg

One of the most treacherous passes in the map, as you can see from the numerous rocks, this region is subject to frequent rock-slides. The regions primary interstate will pass through this area. Still working on this area, need to add some trees and might modify the cliff sides some to add extra depth to the rocks.

Z2FSKw.jpg

Water-fall swimming hole, formed at the base of one of the numerous mountain streams that feed Blue Gill Lake.

wxw6kT.jpg

One of Blue Gill Lakes numerous beaches. The beach still needs some work with forests and grass to blend the sand with the surrounding area better.

sH4ikY.jpg

Looking towards the Northwest on one of the numerous small islands in the lake. The abandoned light house on this island enjoys spectacular views of the lake and surrounding mountains.

whiteshark365

HCaPBy.jpg

Above is an image of the moors, a region of the map that resembles Scotland. Used a combination of fertile land and ore to texture the land. Color combinations of the textures adds a dimension of realism to the surroundings. Additionally, added numerous mini-cliffs to give the land more of an eroded appearance. Once trees and grass are planted should look much more natural around the mountains and rocks.

n3RQ4V.jpg

Closeup of the moors and the bluffs along Blue Gill Lake.

hPgxhN.jpg

Beginnings of the marshlands were Blue Gill Lake ends and the Blue Gill River Continues. This area still needs a lot of work, and once again, additional trees and grass will like the area look more realistic.

JlzK35.jpg

Closeup of the interior of the marshlands. Very tricky to create, had to get elevations that were only a few meters above and below the waterline to appear just right.

More updates to come as I continue on this map. Hope everyone enjoys.

whiteshark365

Progress on the Frontier City map is coming along nicely, albeit slowly. This could take several weeks to complete. I am trying to get the map to be as realistic and perfect as possible. So far, I have the base contours created as well as some of the mountain smoothed out. The lake is complete as well as Blue Gill Island, which sits in the center of the lake.

The theme I am going for is a combination rocky bluff/ alpine forest type environment. The theme currently being used is the Alpine Theme, but I might end up changing this if I can find a more appropriate rock texture. Below are a few pics of the region as it stands.

sCtjr7.jpg

Overview of what the entire region currently looks like.

VlREmX.jpg

One of the streams feeding Blue Gill Lake.

JJW6VY.jpg

Sand Bar island in the center of the Blue Gill river looking towards the bluffs.

cWoXqI.jpg

Blue Gill Island in the center of the Lake. - This island is complete, but I might fine tune it some more.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions. Still lots of work to do.

whiteshark365

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately due to the dreaded clicking pin hard drive failure, all of the data for this city has been lost and cannot be recovered. I've spent the better part of two weeks trying everything I can think of to get the hard drive to work, even deep freezing the drive, and no luck.

I do not want this journal to die however, so I have decided to restart it from scratch, including creating a map and style theme for the region. Frontier city will end up being a medium-sized town located on the banks of the Blue Gill Lake, with a single highway cutting through the city.

When I say from scratch, that includes the map. Instead of downloading the same map I used before off of stream, I am creating my own. The map alone could take a week or more to make, since I have OCD when it comes to creating life-like regions that have realistic topography. Below is a sketch of the what the region will end up looking like, and a preliminary pic of the terraforming process after just 5 hours. Additionally, I've taking some time watching videos on YouTube of some of the cities being created such as Arrowhead Junction and Rhinestone Island, and am taking some cues from those players in sprucing this town up some. When creating maps I am going back to my old SimCity 4 days and using a staggered contour process that starts with creating 10 meter high interval contours and then using the smooth tools. Takes more time than using some of the tools such as the slope command, but in the end produces a better result.

Once the map is complete, both the map and custom theme will be available for download on stream for anyone whom may want to download it.

Scan_20161029.jpg

20161029172046_1.jpg

whiteshark365

Update 1

Frontier City and the surrounding region is starting to grow fast. Since my initial update, the regions population has increased from 3,100 to 5,400.

Frontier City has expanded its sports complex, added a new city hall, constructed a new high school and subdivisions to the North of Interstate 10, and due to the increase in power demands, added a new high tech nuclear plant, that should supply the regions power demands for the next 50 years.

Blue Gill Valley, which was once a small town of just a 100 located to the east of Frontier City, has increased 8 times in size to nearly 800, becoming the regions second largest town.

The dual towns of Blue Shoals and Shell City continue to lead the metro area as the leading centers of industrial development. Shell city unfortunately is becoming the regions low income area, with most households averaging an income of just $32,000 a year, compared to the regional average of $48,000 a year.

New Issue of Frontier Star to be Released this Weekend.

20161004175322_1.thumb.jpg.83c5ed83490ff4c4f1a0818725cb73c7.jpg

Regional View of the Frontier City Metropolitan Area.

20161004174624_1.thumb.jpg.f320dbb93568c27d4d9764cdfb4ea799.jpg

Town's expanded Sports Complex

20161004174725_1.thumb.jpg.4dbdee00449917a33e057a053dc4e3ec.jpg

New State of the Art Nuclear Facility with Top Notch Security.

20161004174656_1.thumb.jpg.0d174f29c5286b2d6cc27d6b2d695d39.jpg

New City Hall across from the town's parks.

20161004175630_1.thumb.jpg.8ed713c5aa3b5130f5b60bc2f0b1a41d.jpg

Frontier City viewed from the regional airport.

20161004174805_1.thumb.jpg.2b5bc346d73370a7edf60b65dcc6d03b.jpg

Industrial Development in Blue Shoals. Housing located to the left of the train tracks is Shell City.

20161004175322_1.jpg

20161004174624_1.jpg

20161004174725_1.jpg

20161004174656_1.jpg

20161004175630_1.jpg

20161004174805_1.jpg

whiteshark365

The Town and Region

Here are a few views of Frontier City and the surrounding region.

20160929172228_1.thumb.jpg.9270de9f3b9c630d101516313fb5f05b.jpg

Main street, looking towards the BlueGill river.

20160928173208_1.thumb.jpg.81ac05285834489858a228079261caaf.jpg

Moon-Rise over Main Street.

20160929172443_1.thumb.jpg.7521185d0b38b607c6c0f7816236465f.jpg

Frontier City and vicinity. City to the center left, farms to the right, port to the south.

20160929172417_1.thumb.jpg.d199218de48cbdb2528c778845dcf336.jpg

Frontier City viewed from the Frontier Microwave Observatory.

20160928172926_1.thumb.jpg.075e6dcea9400325db9ee6745cebd4fc.jpg

Frontier City viewed from Sentinel Hill, with the town water tower in the foreground.

20160929172247_1.thumb.jpg.d9567f8dd33e660d8885786adebf9683.jpg

Town Football field across the BlueGill River, looking towards town.

20160928172727_1.thumb.jpg.6302ce636153fc430f3930592864713d.jpg

Eastern Farms near sunset.

20160928172727_1.jpg

20160928172926_1.jpg

20160928173208_1.jpg

20160929172228_1.jpg

20160929172247_1.jpg

20160929172417_1.jpg

20160929172443_1.jpg

volume5_md.pngPlease help us reach our September Goal!

Your contribution helps keep Simtropolis up and running!

Please consider a donation today.

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation goes to help us keep the site running free.

Enjoy the site!

OK - See STEX Collections