• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A city journal where I try to fit 1 million people into an awfully challenging to build map, with an Indonesian flair

Entries in this City Journal

zahrul3

A long awaited update

The last time I updated this CJ was a teaser and was many months ago. I haven't touched Simtropolis much since then but I still play Simcity 4 albeit not regularly. Not only that I'm more preoccupied with university life, actual urban planning (or at least studying it) is way more fun than I thought it would be and possibly more fun than playing this game.

Well, moving on to the city journal itself, here's what the picture in the aforementioned 'teaser' has come to:

lMRmiop.jpg

It is the center of the old town, or the old town that used to exist here when the place was still the fertile, agricultural village it used to be before tall office buildings took over.

B11e4Il.jpg

The 'Alun - Alun', one of the few remaining remnants of the old village, is where people used to and still do congregate for various events and festivals. It has since been renovated and renewed into that of a modern park rather than the flat, open grass area it used to be. Additionally, the government of the region is still based here, like it used to be many many years ago.

ZeJlEny.jpg

More remnants of the former old town; some slums as well as the old commercial center and market. This part of town is protected from commercial encroachment as a heritage to the city's simple past. Needless to say, it's a seedy place with much prostitution and many of the richer populace, as well as some hard-line local Islamists want the place to no longer demolished. Also in  picture is the central train station, that services an hourly commuter rail service. It also serves to link the city with Jakarta to the north and Bandung to the east.

QdPzLHA.jpg

The CBD extends itself to the north; development is less dense with many high end stores catering to the more well-off people of the city as well as a cinema.

Well, that closes out this update, keep following this CJ for the next update, I promise it won't be long!

zahrul3

3. Tile A3: Farms!

I haven't made much progress as in progress good enough for the city journal, so I've decided to display what I have.

At the edge of tile A3 there are some farms; the tile itself has a lot of flat land but it's at the edge of the city tile separated from the rest of the region by some very hilly land. I figured out that while placing an industrial area here might be a good idea, SC4 will somehow break the thing apart by not sending any commuters there due to it being on the literal edge, so I placed some agriculture there instead.

Nothing really to explain here so just enjoy the pics and let them speak!

GapM3FS.jpg

zxr07tv.jpg

czECXCL.jpg

================================================================================================================

REPLIES!

@jebediah & @kschmidt: Thanks for commenting! Like the update? Comment in the comments below or just give a 5 stars if you can't think of any!

zxr07tv

zahrul3

Hey, first update!

The first update will cover tile B3. Here's an overview of the city:

drEvoRP.png

The city tile itself can be described as the southern side of Medang, most of it, actually, since a small chunk is present in tile A3. It's an experiment by myself to see if an area could be built around an industrial district in lieu of the usual central business district  and yes, you really do can. Industries need flat area so that's where they are, with the houses surrounding said industrial area. That's the theory. But does it actually work? Let's see...

DABiHV1.jpg

The industrial hub of the city, anchored by a freight yard and the city's power plant.

89VQvlO.jpg

More factories

YxsbQl2.jpg

23QaQ4P.jpg

Residential districts around the industrial hub

Notice that there are huge swathes of un-built land surrounding the industrial areas? Well, the pollution was much higher than I thought. And I thought the barrier of greenery between residential and industrial was enough....boy was I wrong! The low residential demand only compounds the issue further so that the undeveloped, remain undeveloped. My city though, or at least this part, turned out to have maxed out demands for both I-D and I-M. So the plan now, from now on, would be to prioritise my city building, and probably the whole region, around industry, wherever there is flat land I might try it. Also, notice the lack of parks? I might have to try building some, maybe it can drive residential demand, who knows? After making some evaluation (there is always room for evaluation and improvement in urban planning circles), I have come to these conclusions for future city planning:

1. Double the buffer distance between industrial and residential areas.
  2. Have parks and sporting facilities from the start, build parks and sporting facilities where possible in already built tile(s). The forest isn't a suitable place for kids to play football or simply run/sit around.
  3. Increase percentage of industrial zoning, zone new industrial where possible in already built tile(s).
  4. Enact the Clean Air Act.

However, some of my ideas have gone swimmingly:

1. Zoning commercial along the main throughfares have been quite successful.
  2. Due to how I've developed and kept the forests in the hills, the city has more than enough publicly owned green area( >20%, Indonesian Ministry of Public Works Decree no. 5, 2008 ) than the Indonesian law specifies. Even though this part of the city has a pollution problem, the trees somewhat reduce the impact even if it isn't really that big of an impact.
  3. The circular city plan works very well traffic wise at least, commuters are using both lanes instead of having traffic jams on one lane while the other lane is empty. Also makes a future plan for trams somewhat viable, even though South Medang is highly unlikely to ever have tram service.

Regional population: 28712

Percentage of population target: 0.28%

Now that we've covered the planning part of the (south part of) city, we can now go on a tour of it!

k5vQJW2.jpgKampung in the hills, this is the most Indonesian you could go to really, due to a lack of quintessentially "Indonesian" content for SC4. Made by 976, as used in his city journal Republic of Karasem, a great CJ everyone should read through. However, rising incomes might potentially make them nonexistent with the newly rich buying up kampung land where they can build their homes away from the pollution down in the valley.

VsZIVD8.jpgMore of the same, just not as dense.

wY073eo.jpg

The de facto "center" despite being located in the southeast corner of the city tile. Administrative offices are located here, so is the city market. So is the (ridiculously big) hospital, which is out of shot but nearby.

KGSAJWE.png

Development in the southern part of the city. The vast expanse of empty land means it's possible for R$$ to develop without demolishing previous structures. Also present is the area's only church, built for the 800 strong population of minority Protestant Christians who live in the area.

faukwo1.png

Plans have been put forth to demolish this small, illegal kampung near the industrial district and develop a park there. It's not without opposition though...

================================================================================================================================================

That's all guys! Like it? Leave a comment below, I'd really appreciate that. If that's taking too long, I'd like to give a big thanks for those who rate my entries 5 star! Replies to previous entry are in the comment section below!

zahrul3

1. Introduction

It's been a long time since I've made a CJ, 2 years to be exact.

In the mean time I've since become an urban planning student. It feels just right that an urban planning student would play Simcity 4 and maybe start a City Journal too, perhaps. Possibly with an urban/regional planning sort of twist into it, perhaps. To spice things up this CJ is intentionally made up to be as challenging as possible.

The mission? Fit 1 million citizens, into a map of 9 large SC4 tiles. Sounds easy, eh? The next proposition is that the city must be built on a map that offers almost no flat land. Well, that should spice things up a bit! There's more to it. The development, must also respect both realism and the environment. This means that I can't just zone development willy nilly or recklessly terraforming the hills, for instance. Like all my previous city journals, this CJ will have an Indonesian flair to it. I also won't mess much with what the game decides to build, artificially manipulating demand or going bezerk with ploppables, simply letting the game simulator do what it does best. Elements of Urban and Regional Planning are going to be present on all updates, as that's the theme of this CJ.

The map used is a tightened version of Cleaner475's Prudencia. Originally a map with 16 large tiles (16km * 16km), I've reduced it to a map with 9 large tiles (12km * 12km).

This is the map I'm using:

hUv8mjh.jpg

Notice how I've named the tiles. I've split the individual city tiles into rows and colums, ie. row A column 3. This should make it easier for the reader to follow, as well as making up for better archiving. The system will carry on to the individual updates which will center both upon individual tiles and cities/suburbs/towns, as my cities are generally not bound to just one city tile. I just suppose the individual tiles are simply administrative subdistricts of a larger city. The city(regency?) itself is called Medang. It's a name lacking in originality and creativity as I once used that name for a previous CJ, but hey, that previous CJ had a similar theme to this so I guess that might work.

Looking back at the map, there are some things I'd like to initially plan from a general, regional perspective about the region:

1. The city will have no highway system whatsoever, there just isn't any space present. Besides, highways only serve to split and/or isolate neighborhoods. Therefore, the biggest roads that are going to be used are avenues, with the exception of tile A3 and A1 where I may consider a highway passing there as a connection to places outside the region.

2. With no highway present, the main transportation option are going to be railways. As the city grows larger, I might consider using tram-on-road due to it being very compact and easy to fit onto an already developed city.

3. The flat areas in A2, B2 and B3 are prioritised for industrial development early on, as massive industrial development require flat land. As the region start seeing more I-HT/I-M demand,  I might consider adding industrial zones on the slopes, or the valleys of tiles B1, C1, C2 and C3.. Most industrial development however, will be in B3 and A2, with B2 functioning mostly as the commercial center.

4. The CBD itself is going to be located in the center of tile B2. It's very hilly, which makes it very interesting to try build a CBD on. The reasoning behind this is to try keep the central business district away from the polluting industrial complexes, as well as placing it in a location that is central to everything else.

5. There is no way I'm going to build an airport there.

As with the norm of urban planning, the plans are not absolute. They may change according to situation(ie. more industrial demand than expected), however.

That's all I have for the Introduction right now! Next update will be about tile B3, so stay tuned!

===========================================================================================

Like this? Leave a 5 star rating at the top of the page, or just leave a comment in the comment section below if you want to talk things about the CJ itself!.