• Moose
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entry
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Dear successor,

For the past 10 years I have been the Mayor of this wonderful small city; the city's population more than tripled, oil industries were swapped for tourism, and fossil fuels were replaced by renewable clean energy. The railroad network was greatly extended and the Ramora Bay University of Applied Sciences (RBUAS) was succesfully established.

Now it's time for me to leave office and hand over the responsibility of managing Ramora Bay to the next generation, to you. We have achieved a lot and I am eternally gratefull to our citizens for their trust in me.

This will be my final report and I would like to share the lessons that I have learned and the insights I have gained with you, and highlight some important issues that will have to be taken care of in the coming decades.

Entries in this City Journal

Bloemkoli

Final report

Exerpt from the "About this city journal" tab:

#######################

Dear successor,

For the past 10 years I have been the Mayor of this wonderful small city; the city's population more than tripled, oil industries were swapped for tourism, and fossil fuels were replaced by renewable clean energy. The railroad network was greatly extended and the Ramora Bay University of Applied Sciences (RBUAS) was succesfully established.

Now it's time for me to leave office and hand over the responsibility of managing Ramora Bay to the next generation, to you. We have achieved a lot and I am eternally gratefull to our citizens for their trust in me.

This will be my final report and I would like to share the lessons that I have learned and the insights I have gained with you, and highlight some important issues that will have to be taken care of in the coming decades.

#####################################################################

Are you the next mayor of Ramora Bay?

Check out the job requirements on steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=700840293

#####################################################################

Final Report

1) Infrastructure & Industry

QcLyc3F.png

1a#The city as seen from Highway Four.

Ramora Bay is situated at the end of Highway Four, which terminates in the middle of the city. The first interchange can be found immediately after the city border; this is primarily an industrial access interchange and provides out-bound connections exclusivly.

5H9zZHl.png

1b#Three Highway interchanges.

This interchange could potentially be expanded to service freight transport into the city as well, especially if new industrial estates are developed on the abbandoned mining sites to the west of this interchange. At the same time this would improve industrial access to commerce in the western part of the city.

UMCCcB2.png

1c#View from the elevated roundabout interchange.

The second interchange has long been the only one in the city, and used to be very busy untill the industrial interchange was built. It was upgraded to an elevated roundabout soon after I entered office. Presently it is mainly used by residents in the south-eastern part of the city and the lumber industy on the western border of the city. The main avenue flowing south from this elevated roundabout interchange was only recently upgraded to 6 lanes to deal with increased traffic volumes. The new situation still has to be evaluated and dealt with if the situation does not improve.

hmtKMlI.png

1d#West-bound avenue.

wVhDDJH.png

1e#Southeast-bound avenue.

hnN4Ez4.png

1f#Traffic on the upgraded 6-lane avenue heading southeast.

The third and final highway interchange provides direct access to the new city core and the university. It terminates in a large roundabout to reduce vehicle speeds and is mainly used by residents.

v4OaeLB.png

1g# Highway Four terminating in a large roundabout.

The rail retwork has been greatly expanded;

AAjCKQ4.png

1h# Railroad overview.

the external south-east and west connections were connected, and the network provide access to three freight stations and one passenger station. One freight station is primarily used by the lumber industry and another by the high-tech robotics industry that was spun off from research conducted at the RBUAS.

zj6pPxd.png

1hi#Lumber Industry and freight station.

The third freight station exclusively serviced the ore-mining industry to the north of the city, that had been established at Ramora Bay since it foundation. It brought the city great wealth and provided it with the neccesary resources to build up its tech industries. At present however, the economically viable ore pockets have been exhausted and pockets further up the mountains have yet to attract favorable investors. The station is occasionally used to transport supporters to the sport-stadium that can be found next to it.

gUmNabJ.png

1i# Freight station servicing tech-industry.

The external rail connection is partially disconnected from the railroad going through the center of the city; the split on the west side of city is not functional towards the south so as to not allow any external traffic passing through the city center, but forcing it to take the longer route passing north of the city between the first and second highway interchange.

CaUPEGW.png

1j# On top: internal and external passenger-stations.

The inner-city railroad is connected to 5 passenger stations connecting (from west to east): a buisness park and the lumber industry, the expo-center, Downtown, the university and leisure district, government buildings and exernal passenger rail station.

0XCUt5l.png

1k# Downtown passenger station servicing the blue and green lines.

The network is very well used by locals and to alleviate pressure on the rail-lines (and to connect further areas of the city through public transport), permissions have been granted to develop a bus- or metro-network.

rYtYYzr.png

1l# Busy 1st class coupons of a passenger train.

Throughout the city there are also numerous hiking paths, promenades and pedestrian bridges improving connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists.

RtR9K3B.png

1m#Hiking path.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Demography & Urbanization

NIWbB4T.png

2a#Highrises and Tenements have sprung up throughout the city.

The city has seen a strong growth in population over the past years, tripling in just under a decade. While education and public services such as healthcare, have kept up, deathcare was neglected, resulting in a so called "dead-wave" around christmas 2024. Unfortunately not much could be done during my last two years and keeping strong immigration is adviced to increase the number of working-age adults and lower the current percentage of seniors (22,4 %).

0aW9fI6.png

2b#Statistical data on the "dead-wave" phenomenon

To promote the health of our citizens, numerous parks and walking trails have been established throughout the city and cycling is encouraged.

gJ5Swj6.png

2c#Pedestrian Bridge crossing the passenger railroad.

Public transport is free for citizens to in order to reduce the traffic volumes and improve air quality. The university also houses a medical center on its extensive campus and provides large areas of greenspace that could potentially be transformed into sport-parks.

37lZxWd.png

2d#RBUAS campus.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3) Energy

Qe5Crkt.png

3a#Going green.

To improve its reputation as a tourist destination and a worldwide leader in sustainability, the exploitation of oil pockets near the coast was discontinued: the environmental risk of an oil spill, which would have devastated the weak tourism sector, and the low market price of oil rendered further investments  unfeasible.

L5oEhSQ.png

3b#Incinerators as back-up/baseline power supply.

Anno 2026, the city is able to draw up to 100% of its energy and heat from renewable sources; the solar power plant near the stadium and the wind turbines on its western border provide during sunny/windy hours, and during night/windless hours, incinerators throughout the city burn garbage that cannot be recycled and leftover biomass from the lumber sector.

PfkCv6S.png

3c#High tech housing reducing the carbon footprint of they city.

Various (costly) edicts are in place to improve energy & water efficiency, and reduce garbage production. If the treasury is running low these could temporarily be retracted since they consume up to 33% (!) of the cities expenses.

PgznW9M.png

3d#City policies.

Uvq3Jpc.png

3e#Edicts consuming up to 33% of the city's annual expenses.

4) Tourism

IPcbVWt.png

4a#Blue Heaven

Although a lot has been invested, the tourism sector is still in its infancy. Promenades along the beaches and Hotels along the shorelines have been constructed. In addition the city has invested a lot in tourist attractions such as the Colossal Orders building, the Museum of Modern Art and the characteristic tower of High Interest, which dominates the city's skyline when seen from the ocean. Leisure activities have sprung up in close vicinity to the beaches and taxi's transport tourists from the intercity-station to tourist destinations.

FCPXx4e.png

4b#Promenades along the beaches.

PMl7h78.png

4c#High Interest Tower dominating the shoreline.

BeNgv6C.png

4d#Public transport connecting Leisure Buildings

Nevertheless it seems that most attractions are mainly used by locals who are responsible for over 99% of the sectors revenue. A wisely placed airport with good connections to the leisure districts might improve the situation...

sNLBIcV.png

4e# Plenty of room to build.

#######################

Are you the next mayor of Ramora Bay?

Check out the job requirements on steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=700840293

Good luck & enjoy!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0