• Moose

Branny

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Story of the oldest most important city on Shelder, from the foundation of the Kingdom in the Year 0S to the prosperity of modern era in the Year 895S, almost a millennium of history and change and war and growth. 

Douchy of Branny, in the Fadalipe Gran-douchy, Kingdom of Shelder, on the Planet Shelder. 

Natives are "Sheladi", red-skinned human-like intelligent beings with colourful natural skin markings, some think it was an evolution trait to blend in with redwood forests and vegetation while others think it's a mating evolution trait. 

sxdvn9.jpg

(Cosplay during a local folklore festival in our hometown)

Accessory to a work-in-progress main novel titled "Sayuri", about a hybrid (half-human half-native) boy finding himself on the pinnacle of the great revolution, but that's waaaaay in the future, at the end of this journey, which starts at the very beginning of Sheladi colonisation of the land, transitioning from tribal nomad and sedentary to city-builders, farmers, fishermen, and the likes.

This city is developed with a "Natural Growth Role-Playing" playing style, which means I let people "tell me" what they need based on environment, technology, resources, and dynamics. I start with a small settlement in a favourable location like a river or a bay, and build a small community with local resources. They might choose a specific location for a specific resource, like a valley to get access to the hillside for minerals, or a cape to install a sentry tower. They will take their time to build new stuff, adapt, grow, and expand. 

The universe is completely custom-made down to the smallest detail, and new details are coming in every day. It is therefore a proprietary work and subject to copyrights.

Main collaborations come mainly from my girlfriend, who so happens to be an aspiring architect, so she knows a thing or two about building stuff, materials used, procedures, etc. She also helps with characters creation and family relationships (because we not only build a city here, but a full community of little red people).

I'm new to CJ world, this is my first time, so be tolerant with the first few entries and please feel free to leave feedback of all sorts. Your input is also welcome, and I mean if you wish to add to the story, to the people, to the city of Branny, eg: "hey Marcus, I'd like to add a character of mine to the story, see how he/she does in the mix with the others" or "hey Marcus, why don't you add a cheese factory John Doe Inc., I'd like to see it prosper or fail". Any input you wish to give me will become a record in my database with a credit line linking to your provided name.

My plugin folder is.... Well... Just like many other SC4 veterans like you... HUGE. Game loads in a comfortable-long-enough-to-make-a-cup-of-tea-and-get-back-at-my-seat amount of time and it crashes to desktop at an acceptable you'll-better-save-often-because-I-don't-know-when-next-time-is-gonna-be rate. I use NAM and a lot of other mods and additions downloaded mostly from this site, so... a massive thank to simtropolis and the community behind it for enabling these modifications which are unvaluable to the development of the city. I will also like to mention SC4Devotion and other CJers here and there, especially the likes of takemethere (Pretoria) and Grungen for insipiration on how to improve my SC4 playing style. 

I hope you enjoy yourself and it would be amazing if you could get out of here with something new, like an inspiration or a new idea. Sharing is caring.

So, let's get started...

Entries in this City Journal

kim026

War is Coming!

A lot can happen in 14 years of peaceful kingdom. Things we can see…

Image00001.jpg.1593bdfba72af0b73a79d207c22911a4.jpg

And things we can’t…

I present you Tesu Sami, a young boy, son of a farmer family.

Image00003.jpg.f33e84fe1072ee59b950e99f61e1cbac.jpg

Tesu was with his father at the cabin, cutting woods, when he heard weird noises and decided to step out and have a look around, while his father kept on going with the work. It was more like a playful break. Least did he know that those noises came from mounted scouts, hasting through the woods, surely not from Fadalipe or any of Carte’s great army. Tesu recognised the insigna they sported as Ula’s army. What were they doing so far into Fadalipe’s territory? Such a trespass could cause trouble.

Worried, he hussled back at the cabin and found his parents slaugthered. He didn’t have time to sorrow, because the cavalrymen spotted him and chased him through the woods. He had to endure the entire night outdoor in the cold, in a small cave by the Korani lake, before he could walk back downhill to the hometown of Balupite…

Image00004.jpg.7f743e6a17abc3ce893218227194c896.jpg

Image00005.jpg.c659519acd28f68ff9a453bbb0f27de1.jpg

The village people at first did not believe him. He stole a horse from his uncle and left in a hurry, while his uncle and aunt checked out the cabin. Later they would join him in the trip towards Fadalipe, because the army would come through the village to pillage it. What you see there is what was before the army came by. What is left now is a pile of rubble…

Tesu’s trip with his uncle and aunt towards Fadalipe was long and exhausting. They had to travel through the woods on

Brindham Road

to Brindham, anoher small village leading to the Thieren river, and from there a long stretch to Keranino, galloping by the mighty MusidomaCastle…

Image00002.jpg.bf24d2d180e8e008eaf48a13e78f3b9d.jpg

This is only halfway, but a number of days was passed already. Tesu wished for a faster way to travel. Remember, in those times they didn’t have railway of airplanes. Horses were the only way to go, if not maybe boats, but sometimes boats weren’t an option. In Tesu’s case, travelling by ferry would have been too expensive.

Once at Aloravorn, on the Rompock river shore, they did board a ferry though,  to cross the river to Croravorn…

Image00006.jpg.9a853c40ebd020450c228c71a9d17b51.jpg

From there, a final stretch into the woods brought them finally to the mighty city of Fadalipe, sorrounded by strong walls, although not finished…

Image00007.jpg.eab2984e093e881fe7a68677d7034298.jpg

Little Tesu knew that, by the time they arrived, King Sono was already dead. The city of Fadalipe was locked down, and they could not enter. They had to stop just outside the gate, in the village of Vidupe, to rest and wait to find out what was going on. They waited for two days. Then finally the Supreme Court announced the details of the death of the King:

“King Sono left us five days ago at the hands of a member of the royal court, in association with the Grandouchy of Tavulna. This person is now in prison and we cannot reveal his or her identity. It is with great sorrow that we must announce new elections for the throne as Suni Sono left us no eligible heralds. This even also marks the start of a war with the East”

Image00008.jpg.b877d6e9e1fad4a58bd677ef04e1957e.jpg

So here we are, on the first day of war. Tesu would come back home orphan, to live with his uncle and aunt, in a house of rubble than needs rebuilding, in time of war, which means they will also have to serve in the army very soon. The call of duty could come in years or tomorrow…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image00004.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00001.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00002.jpg

kim026

WELCOME to FADALIPE!

I'm Rory Maeda, 1st Middle at the Lofidi Hybrid Middle School, which means I'm almost 12 and I'm a Hybrid. (Which means I'm half-human half-Sheladi).

(Yes, my skin is red, I don't have any markings - or at least none you can see, and I can also speak Sheladi, but I'll try my best with English).

My assignment is the history of Branny, my city, where I live. It's 895S now and things are quite complex to describe. But my job is to talk about the history...

In the course of this Journal we will explore life in the old Kingdom as if we lived there in those times. I will be your english-speaking guide and I will talk to you in a simplified manner pretending you don't know anything about Shelder, the Sheladi people and their culture, or any specific thing. In fact, I will think of all of you as if I was speaking to a class of schoolchildren, well, my class. (no offence). 

Let's begin with a little context... 

Shelder is a rocky planet, mostly covered in salt water, not too far and not too close to the Shel star, with a temperate climate and a variety of ecosystems, which means LIFE! The origin of this so called "life" can be dated to billions of years ago, but not even the most advanced research can pinpoint the exact moment in history when life came to be. (This is what the Geography textbook says). What is known is that some 10,000 years ago human-like creatures began roaming the land and forming tribes. They are red-skinned people with colourful skin markings ranging from black to gold, they love the woods (of course Shelder's land is mostly covered in the green stuff) and they love community but also independence. These people are called "Sheladi" and are the natives of Shelder, or "Shelderians". But I am also "Shelderian", and I'm a native, because I was born here, and because I'm half-Sheladi. It's complicated!

But back to history...

As these people evolved their culture they understood that tribes together worked better than isolated, so in the year 0S the Kingdom of Shelder was born. That was a thousand years ago. Things were very dramatic during these years. If you think that times are always changing now, things were always changing even before. Things have always been changing a lot around here.

So the Kingdom is born... And a Kingdom needs a King, right? And a King needs a Royal palace, right? And a Royal Palace needs a capital... and... and... and...

Meet Branny!

Branny0S-1.thumb.jpg.0cdad82ff4a2885b249

Branny is essentially the "Douchy of Branny", as nominated after the foundation of the Kingdom of Shelder in 0S by the council of tribal leaders. The Douchy was a division of the Gran-Douchy of Fadalipe, a decent chunk of land in the southern province of the Kingdom. Fadalipe was also the name of the tribe that founded the settlement there, and the community from which the King was elected, and it was also the name given to the Fortress where the King decided to live.

Kingdom of Shelder

Year: 0S

King: S. Sono

This Journal will be focused on the Douchy of Branny, the landscape you see in the picture. This picture in particular is an early rendering of what the land looked like before the Kingdom came to life, really. We will explore this land more in detail later.

So, it's 0S and the Kingdom is born. What happens now?

The Sheladi people from the Fadalipe tribe expand their horizons, they settle along the Rompock river, which is the leftmost river in the picture, and they found Lesteran and Croravorn. They settle at the estuary of the rivers Rompock and Thieren, and they found Puntar and Rese. They settle in the Branny Bay and they found... you guessed it: Branny Bay, but also Dobesmala and Moriva. It's a community of farmers and fishermen. They prosper in the security of the bay, sorrounded by deep forests. 

However not everything is candy. The rest of the Kingom doesn't all agree with Fadalipe, there are some people, especially in the East, that think Sono is only following Fadalipe's interests and not also theirs. Tensions are building right from the start, and messengers from the land bring worrying news. Conflict before had been resolved with diplomacy or skirmishes, seldom warriors went into battle and died, but now King Sono is faced with the potential for an all out war against the East if they are unable to cool down these tensions. As a precaution, he decides to erect towers, castles, and fortresses around the Bay and all over the Gran-Douchy and beyond, with the intention of creating a network of defence and communication, in the hope of being prepared. News arrive of the birth of the alliance of "Ula", a collaboration of most of the lands of the East. This isn't good news at all, this means war is near, and it's probably inevitable at this point.

King Sono keeps going with his project of fortifying the area. In the space of 10 years he commissions the Fadalipe Citadel:

VALENTINA-PC-2016-apr-23-003.thumb.jpg.c

The Main port serving Fadalipe at Branny Bay:

2ry572p.jpg

Puntar Castle, and Rese Castle: 

2d9pizb.jpg

and Forts on the Marupite Strait, which is the main gate of the Bay, as you can see above in the regional picture.

To support the construction of these forts, Sono commissioned two stone mines, one in Lesteran:

2zfu5wy.jpg

and the other at the base of the Vidupe Mountain Range. 

This is what's happening now. As you can see we're quite a stretch back in time, and as expected we're seeing wooden and stone houses, dirt or stone roads, castles, towers, old churches, wooden ports... NO electricity, NO running water, NO mobile phones. There's little to do, you might think, oh well... It's not the case. If you're a little Shelderian then you're probably going to school at the local church, where you spend your mornings and lunchtimes listening to stories of the past, learning about the present, brainstorming about the future, you're playing with your fellow little Shelderians, and you're visiting local businesses and learning from the community how to be a good Sheladi. And in the early mornings and evenings you might be seen helping at the farm, on the fishing boat, at the mine, in the woods, or wherever your parents work. If you're a big Shelderian then you're probably working in some way, and rewarded for your hard work. You might be a woodlandman, going around cutting trees, or you might be a farmer, or a fisherman, or a miner, or a businessman, working in town, using what others have produced to make something useful for others, you could be a tailor, a blacksmith, a market trader, the owner of a bar. 

2s6rpkh.jpg

But what's probably in your mind, if you were a Shelderian, of course, and lived in the Douchy of Branny, would be the upcoming war. Everybody's talking about it. They say Tavulna and Rodi will be marching in from the woods with an army of thousands and they will cripple our weak castles. Others say that Tavulna has probably mastered the sea with massive warships and they are sailing towards the Branny Bay as we speak. Others yet say Elveral is planning ninja assassinations to destabilise the Kingdom. Who knows for sure. We only know that our messengers tell us when they come back from their travels, but most of it is just talk. We need diplomats, we need informants, we need spies. Do you have any clue what the Ula Alliance is up to? If so, get yourself to your local church and speak to the priest, of pay your respects to your local Baron or Baronet. Your information might just be garbage, or it might be the invaluable tool to be prepared when and if the war actually comes...

A first overview of the Douchy, with the names of places in Green, Orange, or Light Blue, the names of towns in White, and roads in Red.

2n6b6vc.jpg

For those of you interested in the history of Shelder you can attend a specific class (coming soon). Or you can simply follow this Journal and learn from here, your choice. If you're interested in the class option, it's basically like a Role-Play, or Drama class, whatever you want to call it. You create a character, or choose an existing one, which is obviously tied-in with the story, and you follow his/her story, providing input and decisions, or you can just read about them here in the Journal whenever they may appear. This RP class will open soon, so you might start brainstorming your ideas. The best ideas might make it into the class and here in the Journal. 

Corrected by my patient English teacher. 

Rory

Branny0S-1.jpg

VALENTINA-PC-2016-apr-23-003.jpg

Branny0S-1.jpg

VALENTINA-PC-2016-apr-23-003.jpg