• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

UK-styled cities and areas with a healthy dollop of realism thrown in!

Entries in this City Journal

BLANKBLANK

Nature and the wild

FqrUiA.jpg

Nature and the wild

wMifsQ.jpg

This is the map I'm working on. A 18km by 18km city tile.

phLSXJ.jpg

Up close the map feels massive.

6y40z6.jpg

I'm using texture replacements for the water and ground. The water is especially good.

HDupK3.jpg

The map is Grand Teton National Park.

zLvd33.jpg

JwZbG1.jpg

A lot of the flora on the map is from more recent creations on the Steam Workshop.

thrwVP.jpg

The mountains are breathtaking.

1Okj28.jpg

The map creator did a great job sculpting the mountains.

1xGczW.jpg

Additionally, the vanilla game has rocks and rock formations to complement the terrain. In future entries I will show the results of this.

ueMqA4.jpg

loQ0tv.jpg

I am using a mod called Ultimate Eyecandy to make the most of LUTs. It also allows for exact control of lighting which is great because the vanilla lighting was always too bright and yellow.

FyBxnh.jpg

I am using the Roads United North America mod for road texture replacements.

eU9Ync.jpg

The small road snaking off to the left is where I will build the first village.

{---}

Next entry, due sometime next weekend, I will show the finished village.

BLANKBLANK

News and More Progress

Replies:

gatakos: Thank you! What I love most about the game is the large number of British assets, it feels like I'm playing Simcity UK!

v701: Thanks!

Nojus_A: Thank you! With the Network Skins mod the tree-lined streets become vastly more varied.

TekindusT: That massive interchange came with the map, I altered the lane widths to cosmetically improve the appearance of the merging lanes.

feyss: Indeed they are. Finally proportional UK terraced neighbourhoods can be built!

Mymyjp: Thanks! The game has made incredible progress thanks to the developers but also largely due to the modding community. The game is only 11 months old!

The Big Z: Cheers!

Phathead: Thank you!

Sucram17: The mods make C:S the ultimate sandbox city builder. If you want to build USA, UK or France styled cities, then you can and with some great detail to.

Kim Sunwoo: Actually the rowhouses are straight and broken up between the curved roads segments, still it would be cool if SC4 had that kind of thing.

{---}

News and More Progress

There is not much in this entry since C:S has gone through a major patch due to the Snowfall expansion being released today. My city is fine albeit for a few problems with the Network Extensions and United Roads mod. I have added quite a bit to Darlington but I would have done more if it were not for the patch, because I did worry it would screw up everything, though thankfully it has not. I also presumed the patch would be coming out on the Wednesday which is why the last day spent developing Darlington was on the Tuesday. Anyway with the passing of a few days things will return to normal. Here are a few pictures:

gROEd2.jpg

And here is one of the big problems- missing intersection textures.

bR4sDH.jpg

Farmland.

bTgZZ9U.jpg

A flower garden I completed. It constitutes part of the Darlington College grounds.

BLANKBLANK

Darlington (WIP)

NhX7RuY.jpg

Entry 4: Darlington (WIP)

For the last couple of months I have been busy with SC4, now I'm winding that down and focusing on Cities Skylines. I rebuilt my plugins/assets folder and trimmed it greatly. Making gigantic cities is murder for my computer so instead I will be building towns and rural areas. Here is the town of Darlington, in this city tile I have spent the last several days focusing on urban development. Soon I will work on the agriculture and farms. Lastly I want to thank gatakos, a Simtropolis member, for inspiring me to pick up Cities Skylines again.

{---}

0pPc5c2.jpg

The magic of building themes, an entire area of semi-detached buildings can be effortlessly laid down.

PCQMoEo.jpg

The Network Extensions mod includes all kinds of new roads.

uma5nTN.jpg

Be that new one-way roads and highways...

6AwcFYr.jpg

...and one tile roads. In the vanilla game the roads take up two tiles.

J6RXAHy.jpg

Victorian housing, old but posh.

krzjr56.jpg

Using the Network Skins mod I can choose the type of trees and lampposts that will appear on roads. Here are TPB's shady trees.

pGORFrT.jpg

Another cool mod of TPB's is the terrain theme mod. I can select a different terrain ingame!

RoYTEt6.jpg

This game is nirvana for British users. So many British assets!

gicPKMr.jpg

Nearly all the time spent so far was laying down the RCI. In this stretch of avenue though I focused on the little details.

5ARtfuh.jpg

Details such as this mini-park.

zSLnKir.jpg

The rocks are another one of TPB's creations.

eWKoXLY.jpg

A good view to the south.

z0xMcFW.jpg

I use the Roads United mod to improve the road textures.

POByMyC.jpg

The best feature of this mod are the cosmetic parking bay demarcations.

CKARJbP.jpg

The complete overview. When finished the entire town will fit into the confines of this picture. I don't want to make a super large city, just something reasonably sized.

X8H1lQx.jpg

Find the right colour correction and sunsets become magical.

{---}

Some time next week I will post another WIP entry, this time it will focus more on agriculture and the countryside surrounding Darlington.