• Moose

My SC4 CJ Scrapbook

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Countryside, urban areas, the big city, skyscrapers, sprawling suburbs, farmland, MMP magic, hydroelectric dams and immense, grungy industry. This CJ covers it all and then some, well not airports, for some reason I have no interest in creating airports.

I combine realism with good aesthetics to create interesting and varied pictures. Also I don't use the lot editor nor do I photoshop pictures. These are pure raw SC4 pictures.

Entries in this City Journal

Ln X

bHEsSU.jpg

Replies:

Abrams124: I appreciate your dedication!

matias93: Thank you very much for this fix!

hammerb32: Cheers!

feyss: :yes::yes::yes:

BugeyedDragon: Those roads are actually part of a lot.

Silur: Cool stuff, glad you liked it.

tariely: The river banks are a bit flakey in places, while I think the size of the rapids is not proportionate to the flow of the river. So you've definitely got a point there- God rivers are so hard to do right! Thanks for your comment.

kingofsimcity: Thank you very much!

mike_oxlong: You've seen the best rural stuff. Now see the best urban stuff! As for korver... He is my polar opposite, he goes out of his way to tweak the game and mod it for aesthetics and beauty. With me I push to the limit functional cities which look very nice. In each one of my city tiles everything you see can be plopped in, nor have I used the Lot Editor for anything.

MissVanleider: Thanks for your comment and thanks for providing the link!

Akallan: Thanks for that!

{---}

Highlights from Entries 121 to 130

The bulk of these pictures are from the city tile of Garforth. Garforth was an experiment but because the city tile was medium-sized it allowed me to focus on details and try out different strategies, but without having to worry about filling in a large tile. I reckon my urban design peaked with Garforth. Now, taken as a whole Garforth looks like a slice of city, but its real beauty lies in the close-ups. So without further adieu...

{---}

3ADcoO.jpg

There are a few more highlights from Faverdale.

xyof7d.jpg

Where possible I tried to snake paths through the C.P. trees (of the Arden tree controller).

m5vut8.jpg

A small village in the countryside. Sometimes English villages can be split in two but be in close proximity, they may be called by different names.

DOjXq8.jpg

It was the semi-detached houses of gascooker's (from the BSC LEX) that got some cogs whirring in my brain.

ETf5zV.jpg

I started thinking about creating a British-styled city but combining it with the other influences in my urban designs: American, European and heavily industrial.

L6UWvd.jpg

GcMJLI.jpg

It was in Garforth that I discovered FrankU's Dutch Parks (see in the centre).

yc4Q8J.jpg

A miniature graveyard.

Bgky26.jpg

A larger graveyard. I mixed in Paeng's cemetery set with FrankU's parks.

99L4Fe.jpg

aHqfpg.jpg

For the first time ever I used SFBT's soundwalls to really separate areas from the railway.

CKduKC.jpg

Always go full-on NYBT W2W.

YrMkrx.jpg

SHnXwV.jpg

oJ5Jfd.jpg

moonlight's canals in action. A VERY cool canal filler set! You can find them on moonlight's webpage- http://blog.livedoor.jp/moonlinght/archives/cat_59226.html.

VgXJof.jpg

I also began utilising bixel's skyscrapers. Some of them have such a generic design that they can fit into any skyline. My favourite two are SF 680 Folsom Revisited and TG SF 425 Market St. A great pair of office blocks! The two buildings can be seen in the middle of the picture.

duBIPO.jpg

I combined Reddonquixote's Melbourne Arts Precinct Part Two: Arts Centre with FrankU's Dutch parks.

inILov.jpg

The two diagonally-facing skyscrapers are from Bixel.

8FFEP2.jpg

GgdQsx.jpg

And here is the British theme kicking in hard: terraced rows. Most of the low-rise terraces you see are gascooker creations, which can be found on this SC4D list- http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6234.0.

0CaBO2.jpg

The power of diagonals!

8US61O.jpg

4h9oPO.jpg

I like to call this part of Garforth the British Quarter.

z0JVpB.jpg

UMZHLM.jpg

On the centre right are a selection of buildings from JBSimio's Smalltown USA set (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=642), very good for W2W 2-storey and 3-storey fillers. The back parts of these lots can be completed by adding fenced car park fillers from T Wrecks IRM I-HT filler set.

bAUghw.jpg

3SFgHW.jpg

Zvs0D2.jpg

Terraced mode: engaged.

lbInnx.jpg

And here are gascooker's semi-detached homes. The complete collection of these homes can be found here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=354 and http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=356.

NJiwWj.jpg

fACa3o.jpg

The grid-busting roundabout of dreams...

ERvXkw.jpg

ORg413.jpg

I squeezed the hell out of SFBT's diagonal fillers. And the reason for this? Diagonal texture consistency.

mdzrvy.jpg

Once more utilising the grungy road pieces found in Bipin's industrial essentials.

a6goqz.jpg

FrankU's parks can be fitted into even grungy areas and still look good (see the thin strip in the middle right). They are probably one of the best filler sets of 2015.

5L200D.jpg

My most grungy industrial estate yet- so many concrete textures!

TfzvET.jpg

OhxV2B.jpg

8mLhaZ.jpg

By combining SFBT's diagonal fillers (the orthogonal tree filler piece), FrankU's parks (the tree filler pieces) and PEGPROD's tree fillers, I was able to create a very diverse and varied set of suburban tree lines.

rZ8fuz.jpg

Swo42I.jpg

The small urban stream is another one of moonlight's creations. It fits in well with -- you guessed it -- FrankU's parks.

wkohGI.jpg

gMVsWF.jpg

And now we say goodbye to Garforth.

gJ0hJp.jpg

At last we come to the highlights from Erinsberg. This FA factory is one of them.

FgmQqj.jpg

In a nutshell the Erinsberg urban area (in the city tile) is Garforth but three times bigger, while the north is incredibly rural and MMP dense.

eAsyWl.jpg

Commie blocks for the grunge win!

2eSBsr.jpg

bcis0W.jpg

Sometimes canal pieces can make for interesting park fillers...

YzsSdv.jpg

A rather cutting diagonal line of houses.

{---}

Next week there are highlights from Erinsberg- the last city tile I completed. Erinsberg has a bit of everything and I pushed to the limit visual beauty in a functional SC4 city.

Finally I would like to say that the finale for this CJ is going to be happening in about two or three weeks time. I do have something very special planned so stay tuned...

Ln X

DOnpPY.jpg

Replies:

Tyberius06: Thank you!

JP Schriefer: Thanks!

Krasner: That's good to hear.

raynev1: These highlights would happened with or without the existence of the Trixies. I guess it is just good timing.

will62russ: Ha ha!

TekindusT: Thank you!

rathefalcon: For a while SC4 was my playpark.

mike_oxlong: But there is more, the real highlights (entries 111 to 154) are from 2016 and that's where most of the really good stuff is.

kschmidt: Thanks for your comment!

Moses Zal: It isn't a mod. There are diagonal and FAR buildings available on the STEX.

Akallan: Thank you! The next set of highlights contains many more pictures from that river- the River Faver.

Roman_Samudra: :yes:

Takingyouthere: I think what worked well was that I cranked the NYBT W2W up to 11.

_Michael: The end of this CJ is going to happen sometime in the Easter Holidays.

Ernestmaxis: My CJ finale will have a very large montage video to wrap everything up.

sejr99999: My plugins folder used to be pushing 8.5GB, I also became so familiar with where everything was that I could remember dozens of different patterns and configurations for fillers and lots.

Abrams124: Cheers! The trick is that I keep things rather uniform- especially for the fields. I managed to find about a few dozen aesthetically-pleasing MMP field configurations.

{---}

Highlights from Entries 111 to 120

This is a monster entry with 85 pictures in total, but it does contain some of the best rural scenery I ever created with SC4. If you want to find links and captions then I suggest you start with the actual 112th entry which is Threlkeld and go through the entries until you get to the 119th one. There are links to all sorts in those entries.

Anyway, I'm sorry this entry is a bit late. This is because I had two consecutive lesson observations: one last Friday in the afternoon and one today (Monday) in the morning. Also I am keeping the captioning to a minimum- 85 pictures is a lot to caption.

Enjoy!

NOTE: Fixed the image embedding issue- thank you matias93 for providing the solution.

{---}

jjsTgT.jpg

kIJCOd.jpg

WFbTtF.jpg

yzl4HF.jpg

tEuOyL.jpg

WKHlt0.jpg

GzsmRK.jpg

tad9DX.jpg

6GhNng.jpg

1kX7zx.jpg

dicRnI.jpg

pkLsxP.jpg

jR2w6W.jpg

ycI3wj.jpg

2ECYhn.jpg

kARXcK.jpg

lGytel.jpg

kq11wy.jpg

CNJbCO.jpg

W9Fc1x.jpg

3HTDmd.jpg

RMIzPi.jpg

16JPYG.jpg

a29K7f.jpg

GbQx7x.jpg

4Dw8Ax.jpg

1mSLww.jpg

TZlOrT.jpg

gNsfuk.jpg

IveSf6.jpg

3ot2ve.jpg

jrQ1uo.jpg

aqd2Et.jpg

HMge1I.jpg

Qoj8SE.jpg

Lhcs9L.jpg

h6IDe1.jpg

vga3qy.jpg

liso75.jpg

4EXzyK.jpg

LyGrdS.jpg

IftRg1.jpg

PqxA04.jpg

3Vl3Fu.jpg

TZ0q1W.jpg

Crop circle.

KZcnlw.jpg

orgxyB.jpg

EVUKFU.jpg

tbFBJy.jpg

lZCSQ6.jpg

HWVCSF.jpg

Bassenthwaite Reservoir.

fc8Thp.jpg

bdpvnY.jpg

eqCL3A.jpg

LocTuf.jpg

1nkRCF.jpg

O5Uezr.jpg

UCwhmF.jpg

Wuijn2.jpg

9I6LyX.jpg

jFgtMs.jpg

Niu9GC.jpg

r6QacZ.jpg

BtAAJH.jpg

z0dJIr.jpg

Thirlmere Lake.

GWUCGx.jpg

Bag0ZV.jpg

29rXO9.jpg

7zE06k.jpg

uCmd8Y.jpg

V4pa1V.jpg

My favourite stretch of rural road.

adPFGW.jpg

I don't know why but I feel this is the best SC4 rural picture I ever produced. Maybe because it reminds me of the Lake District a bit with the lakes and forests there...

1027X6.jpg

fHFdlt.jpg

73xDhj.jpg

eeE68g.jpg

9AfaTP.jpg

sl699B.jpg

And back to Annuq.

mkaz4Y.jpg

99FbeX.jpg

GJqwgc.jpg

q3MXlI.jpg

3ey0im.jpg

fdoqyT.jpg

VdSjvM.jpg

And the final highlighted picture from Annuq.

{---}

The next set of highlights are the diametric opposite of this entry- urban scenes from the city tile of Garforth.

Ln X

xX9Vhy.jpg

Replies:

Takingyouthere: I believe that after about 110 entries I fully switched the CJ over into the dedicated CJ section. Annuq had many highlights and it holds up very well. But the thing is I went even further with both the quality and the layout, now Annuq had both rural and urban scenes and I really thought I could not go any further at the time. Well I developed my rural skills even more in Faverdale, and I reckon the best-looking urban work was in Garforth; that was my peak. Finally I combined the rural and the urban together in Erinsberg as one complete package. Furthermore Annuq was created in mid 2015, Erinsberg was made in early to mid 2016. Not only was I using filler sets that I once thought would never work (FrankU's parks and plazas for instance or SPAM), but there were new toys available which gave me further options. So Annuq is very good but it's not my best. It was a template for the progression I made last year.

JP Schriefer: Thank you! The 2016 highlights simply double down on all that you said.

mike_oxlong: It does take time and I had to do it on an industrial scale as I sought to complete a large city tile.

{---}

Highlights from Entries 101 to 110

From this point on we get to the VERY good stuff: starting from late 2015 in the CJ's history and moving forwards all the way to the present. And it only gets better moving towards the present. Now, most of the entries are from Annuq with a few towards the end from the rural city tile of Faverdale. So enjoy!

{---}

4gvwZY.jpg

The heart of Annuq's downtown. Always go full W2W.

2iqqMo.jpg

LkUdJo.jpg

JwzhFB.jpg

6ndq6d.jpg

It was getting to the point where even that small area with the church required about thirty minutes or so to get right.

m3EIjv.jpg

Another overview of Annuq.

CSEAyQ.jpg

J6PtHs.jpg

0d6o5W.jpg

Annuq's city centre east.

ikJbxq.jpg

36JkTf.jpg

rsc204's TGN mod in action.

3Gyrb8.jpg

dk6zes.jpg

Being from Britain, roundabouts often feature as centrepieces to entrances to industrial and/or retail estates.

SZBu6A.jpg

C7EZbX.jpg

Annuq's city centre west.

PS3q72.jpg

This is probably the largest, compact, urban interchange I have ever built.

aGb9pN.jpg

bzwUtY.jpg

The coolest thing about newer versions of the NAM is the interconnectivity of avenues and the altered MHW.

vkRCVS.jpg

TMHksk.jpg

The roundabout of grid-busting.

FkNOKJ.jpg

And now moving on to northern areas of Annuq.

57a7vb.jpg

As much as I love to build cities and create urban environments, I love to create rural areas and agriculture even more.

U2UVQS.jpg

mSLHha.jpg

It is in agriculture and rural areas where one can truly grid-bust.

swrUvx.jpg

NMwJSF.jpg

hQO0qH.jpg

HvA6tM.jpg

f81Hxd.jpg

hcTwZ7.jpg

The greenhouses are from FrankU's farm fields set.

xg6aJY.jpg

Since ionionion's OMCO filling gravel (MMP) has a wide range then it can cover streets and roads with dirt and grit.

Jo4Qf5.jpg

The factory and large car park surrounded by fields and green areas was an industrial concept I should have explored more.

19wgLt.jpg

I also started experimenting with MMPs to expand the lots of buildings and ploppable structures. The car park is fully MMP. Inspiration for this came from Fasan's Krokanien MD work.

7KEpms.jpg

MMPs can also connect lots which are "incomplete" and not "self-contained".

7CVyeg.jpg

h4tnhC.jpg

fJWfiD.jpg

A picture taken from Faverdale. The field dominating the picture is my favourite field, I used three MMP layers to create a thick, vibrant flowery look.

mnSZI5.jpg

And back to Annuq.

bIoXT2.jpg

This is in north-western Annuq.

Go0SCm.jpg

Mixing W2W with semi-detached properties and apartments can yield some impressive results. It emulates what is seen in British cities with clumps of semi-detached housing, apartments, terraces and other W2W residential.

9f14IZ.jpg

But while I build in a British way I mix up European, USA and British buildings together.

RSDvrK.jpg

That offset house in the centre is the Stax house.

avH3Nw.jpg

Eastern European Commie blocks are the best.

8ek415.jpg

dNMtph.jpg

Welcome to Faverdale.

fTdVuR.jpg

Faverdale was the first of three completed city tiles which I made in 2016.

UF82OA.jpg

2016 was the year where I worked out to create something reasonably realistic and then ran with it.

qpWY4p.jpg

Faverdale's theme was that of rural settlements and the countryside. I did most of my best and varied MMP work in Faverdale: fields, forests, grassland, rocks, rivers, marshes and agricultural scenes.

ObpQq6.jpg

It was in Faverdale that I heavily used SPAM: fences, buildings and MMPs. I'm glad I used it as it provides much needed agricultural variation.

SZPYcS.jpg

Using one of Bipin's petrol stations. They work well: both in grungy urban environments and in rural ones too.

{---}

This Friday stayed tuned for more rural delights from Faverdale- which includes some of my most favourite countryside pictures ever.

Ln X

jmdoPu.jpg

Replies:

_Michael: Thank you!

Abrams124: The ABBT buildings have been somewhat obscured, but the BATs are timeless and a must-have for any W2W area.

RandyE: Cool!

Simmer2: Thanks; it's all about space and what's behind the buildings.

mike_oxlong: Cheers!

PaleoCardio: I don't use the Lot Editor, so all I can do is improvise and experiment with the plugins I've got.

kschmidt: A lot of the buildings were plopped. A lot of the industrial BATs are often early to mid 20th century- which I like. Thanks for your comment!

matty575: Thanks!

TekindusT: Correction; how to build industrial areas almost two years ago. There are now new toys to play with.

Akallan: Thanks! And to answer your question I have two words: NAM 32. This was before the existence of the insane flex-piece wizardry of NAM 35, if I had had NAM 35 two years ago then this interchange would have been very compact.

BugeyedDragon: Two links and just two: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2578 and http://www.simcitypolska.pl/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=193.

{---}

Highlights from Entries 91 to 100

This is a bigger update since I tried to get more highlights from the 100th entry. Now, in these ten entries all the pictures are from Annuq. So prepare for canals, oil refineries, heavy industry, commercial, suburbs, ruins, wasteland and dense W2W areas.

On a different note entirely, I have also been recently working on a few small areas to get some fresh pictures for the finale entry- once the highlights are all done.

{---}

YATkQv.jpg

Diggis ponds, MMPs and NBVC's modular oil port.

523gm7.jpg

In Annuq I decided to combine canals with industry.

7XP6A4.jpg

City centre.

HNCscj.jpg

Never go full diagonal! So much time lost...

4Urlju.jpg

A59fiL.jpg

Jhnghi.jpg

Forestry and ruins.

T1CD12.jpg

Heblem's legendary Mall del Sur. He released this mall in early 2015 and I believe it is the biggest mall BAT/LOT ever created.

zH0m5x.jpg

And an overview of Annuq itself. This was the first city where I actually checked every building and made sure it fitted. Annuq was my own personal benchmark; at the time I thought I could not go any further but the 2015 SC4D Christmas Calander BATs and LOTs really changed that, so too did Simmer2's and KOSC's custom content work...

IqOgNd.jpg

Dead centre is Annuq's oil refinery.

NmpkOv.jpg

For the oil fields I used Deadwoods oil fields- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=472.

pP09RM.jpg

oGYKcd.jpg

And for the oil refinery buildings (those grey, grimy ones) I used Citynut's Modular Oil Refinery- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1549. For good measure I combined all of this with NBVC's Modular Oil Port.

x9uPmN.jpg

Throw in T Wreck's IRM IHT fillers and they complement NBVC's oil storage tanks.

7A6dWI.jpg

yyftPx.jpg

As I was building Annuq I began to throw in more MMP elements to add some more to the wildness and griminess of industrial areas.

BP8Ehq.jpg

The smoke stacks can be found in Bipin's Industrial Essentials.

78oLPt.jpg

oDhqHH.jpg

hSTcCR.jpg

Industrial wasteland.

w7CKgS.jpg

WDE9Tj.jpg

7gkPFZ.jpg

nos. 17's relots of malls and FrankU's warehouses really go well together.

tLHcxZ.jpg

RVx6Xo.jpg

syorew.jpg

7rGdUK.jpg

bYzyap.jpg

XlBRKb.jpg

I chose 5x5 residential plots to expand the size of the city blocks, the idea being to give the impression of larger, sprawling mid-rise suburbs.

pYvmD1.jpg

rsc204's TGN mod in action; grass texture unification. I first used this mod in Annuq; it's very subtle but it changes the whole dynamic of urban areas and green areas inside of urban areas.

aQdAuY.jpg

T Wrecks 5x5 apartment relots in action.

aTlYjX.jpg

Some middle-class mid-rise suburbs.

5hsIbr.jpg

Add in small T-junction street entrances/exits to visually connect RCI lots to road networks.

RjkQyw.jpg

KVcl5V.jpg

T Wrecks W2W IRM in action.

2t5RM3.jpg

W2W IRM is great for mid-rise industry located in residential/commercial areas. It can also be used to create large city blocks; infill them with T Wrecks IRM fillers.

FlKCXS.jpg

Who said vanilla SC4 industry had no place in cities? See centre-right!

hX1Gvu.jpg

One of my favourite intersections in Annuq. Count up how many street entrances there are to buildings and car parks.

1wWCqU.jpg

This is KingOfSimCity's Lakeside Place relot- the massive office building.

wYH40k.jpg

PIChTh.jpg

One of the trickier things to design is W2W building variety and suitable back alleyways.

J6tBPz.jpg

The blue glass building is Xyloxadoria's London Bridge Quarter Place 1; a fantastic mid-rise commercial BAT. Even better it is squat and chunky and those kinds of commercial BATs are hard to come across.

jaBIMa.jpg

9lUQL4.jpg

x5yAZ9.jpg

VD71lp.jpg

hNDAHG.jpg

aJYgsZ.jpg

And back to the industry.

A6a5Uc.jpg

In early/mid 2015 I started combining fillers, MMPs, diagonal buildings, fencing and ruins to give a more dynamic and grungy feel to industrial areas. It's a type of industrial SC4 haute cuisine.

NfDso0.jpg

e4Rlc0.jpg

Xde4X6.jpg

The Chelsea Mills Grain Elevator- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1367. A VERY cool industrial building and lot! It has both railways and canal sections!

OJQgbW.jpg

R4ARYC.jpg

The remains of two levelled factories- sure would draw Trump's ire:P! But seriously this sort of thing can be seen across the northeast of England.

rG7OMM.jpg

Since the start of the new millennium a lot of these wasteland sites have been redeveloped in the northeast: they are now housing, shops, supermarkets or leisure facilities.

wKZljJ.jpg

My first foray into lumber and the timber industry.

ysE26L.jpg

0IOnya.jpg

CAdeao.jpg

{---}

The rest of the highlights are from 2016 with a small remainder from Annuq, I posted 47 entries last year so there will be six more highlight entries and then the finale. To be fair the 2016 entries are the real highlights of this CJ; so stayed tuned for some SC4 magic.

{---}

Bonus:

These pictures and many more will be included in the finale of this CJ.

No Lot Editor was used.

itKQ7w.jpg

pSHEYD.jpg

Ln X

AYLd9s.jpg

Replies:

89James89: Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the overview.

mike_oxlong: I look forward to seeing those MMPs! Don't worry about the pictures as they will be staying on Imageshack and I have a paid subscription too. As for picture 12, I could not find the factory sorry...

Urban Constanta: Thank you very much!

JP Schriefer: Cheers!

feyss: Thank you!

Bipin: Your BATs played an important role in many of the industrial areas I created.

Takingyouthere: Yep, that was back in early 2015 when I decided to go Simcity Medieval.

{---}

Highlights from Entries 81 to 90

These pictures are either from Weckum or Annuq, these particular entries mark the point where I finally achieved my own personal goal of realism: the spacing was right, the buildings fitted, the areas were distinctive, etc... I reckon the first half of 2015 was marked by much experimentation as I sought to build realistic cities, then the second half is where I finally worked out how to create realistic cities and that began with Annuq.

This laid the groundwork for the three city tiles I created in 2016, each one was focused on a different style: agriculture and rivers for Faverdale; diverse city areas and urban sprawl for Garforth; LA-styled city and large countryside areas in Erinsberg.

Finally I scatter around some advice, tricks and tips in this entry: so pay attention.

{---}

kzZ38s.jpg

Sometimes relots of vanilla SC4 industrial buildings can create realistic industrial sprawl. The car park on the right is an addition I made to "expand" the lot.

kaUP5C.jpg

Utilising Simcoug's R$$ diagonal housing, they also come with their own diagonal filler set...

dWYcUc.jpg

Jasoncw's Perry Station. This fantastic railway station is W2W and large! A must have for any urban area.

UknIzz.jpg

I used T Wrecks IRM fillers to "expand" industrial lots and connect them together. It helped to create industrial complexes and give the impression of car access through back alleyways and car parks.

BLPOA4.jpg

i6VFYT.jpg

An interchange in Annuq.

PZNRDP.jpg

This was the first thing I created upon the city tile.

73coTj.jpg

qSsNdY.jpg

While I had downloaded Simgoober's canals some time in 2013, it was in Annuq that I began to use them on a large scale. Canals and industry is very oldschool and 19th century.

fOaIlQ.jpg

As I created the canals I also laid out an intricate railway network with many railway stations and industrial loading areas (transit-enabled lots with railways).

NseoGy.jpg

And back to Weckum.

Cxgfgl.jpg

Bsx3H3.jpg

It was in Weckum that I began laying out blocks of NYBT W2W.

wpJnUJ.jpg

Paeng's parks make for fantastic urban fillers- highly detailed ones as well.

4cPRbN.jpg

I also integrated Paeng's parks with his cycleways too. Utilising two or more modular filler sets was a skill that took a while to develop, while making it appear seamless is even harder.

9m4VGS.jpg

The power station.

T66WAC.jpg

Once more using the cooling towers which are found in Bipin's Industrial Essentials.

QtttCI.jpg

While FrankU's warehouses are large and useful industrial fillers which can complement light, medium or heavy density industry.

GEdctE.jpg

HSqeL5.jpg

qom0Sk.jpg

I completed a lot of the commercial areas in Weckum with Goofyguytpa's American W2W buildings. I have used them in every city tile since.

a5RL7q.jpg

Pictures from Annuq. These were my first photoshopped pictures.

jzBAiA.jpg

mD7VXK.jpg

But it was a one-off entry. The next time I would photoshop pictures would be almost a year later in mid-2016.

kxjmPL.jpg

sQBYgf.jpg

And back to Weckum.

vPBHPI.jpg

The downtown areas were where I paid a great deal of attention to the RCI buildings. I wanted both more W2W and more visual consistency.

hDgMll.jpg

OL9eWA.jpg

The St Paul's Cathedral in Melbourne is one of my favourite Reddonquixote creations. I also used Paeng's cemetery set to expand the presence of the cathedral.

KDM72V.jpg

EWj8n7.jpg

Here I experimented with mixtures of orthogonal and diagonal buildings.

dUeCbX.jpg

Once more using Paeng's cemetery set.

PVLnzZ.jpg

The grungy road can be found in Bipin's Industrial Essentials. Beneath the grimy concrete texture is a fully functioning road which can be dragged underneath the texture. Use this to create <VERY> realistic urban areas!

jP3PAN.jpg

g5C0f9.jpg

Also check out the NYBT ABBT Manhattanville Project. If you want realistic, grungy, W2W commercial/industrial buildings look it up. The city block you see in the centre of the picture has these ABBT buildings.

K5WkAP.jpg

NpFKDF.jpg

Deadwood's Austrialian shops make for good low-rise W2W fillers (DEDWD Small Shops FlatRoof Set). A trick I use to create car parks behind commercial buildings is applying T Wrecks IRM industrial fillers and then using the transit-enabled parking lots to create a realistic-looking street entrance. Or sometimes I will create back alleyways behind buildings with Paeng's grunge concrete set and add in vehicle MMPs- see the bottom part of the above picture.

8eC1XJ.jpg

c4Z7l7.jpg

nP4HAU.jpg

98xbL0.jpg

m962Io.jpg

Z1qwIn.jpg

yhWd6P.jpg

ZVsN7w.jpg

stO7lq.jpg

jestarr's buildings and T Wrecks IRM fillers go hand-in-hand. They share similar concrete textures you see. To find all of jestarr's buildings check out this link to the BSC LEX: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-1378940987028293%3Awyjdrk-l6zg&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=jestarr&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=jestarr&gsc.page=1

dP4pWr.jpg

PbF3aG.jpg

And now back to Annuq.

YQH5o2.jpg

The electricity pylons I use are a creation of MandelSoft's- fantastically large and realistic! Look for on the STEX: Dutch Electric Pylon Set - 380KV - "Donaumast" v1.0.

hnhJ9e.jpg

{---}

The next set of highlights are all from Annuq. They culminate towards the 100th entry special which was a milestone I achieved about a year and a half ago.

Ln X

XPYbff.jpg

Replies:

Simmer2: Thank you very much!

Tyberius06: Thank you! The factory is this one-

And the train station is this one-

mike_oxlong: Thanks for that comment. But I am moving on from SC4 since I am focusing on story writing. Also thanks for providing the links!

Akallan: Cheers!

MissVanleider: Thanks, and yes I suppose it would be Simcity China since the Lego blocks are probably made in China!

philforhockey51: Thanks for that. I would suggest browsing through the forum version of the My SC4 CJ Scrapbook, a good place to start would be about here to answer your question-

tariely: rural areas and low-rise areas and suburbs interested me more and more as I played SC4.

Takingyouthere: The 2014 pictures are good, the 2015 ones are better and the 2016 ones is where I peaked.

{---}

Highlights from Entries 71 to 80

These pictures are from two city tiles: Broadsville and Weckum. Broadsville is where I experimented heavily with diagonals and industry. Weckum is where I fine-tuned the W2W city blocks and the eye for detail and consistency; consistency in the RCI was something which the 2014 entries of this CJ sorely lacked! These entries cover a six-week period from the first day of 2015 up to mid-February. The progress I made with rural design, urban design, W2W buildings, ground texture consistency and other SC4 areas was very substantial. I would go on to consolidate what I had learnt with the city of Annuq and go beyond that in 2016.

{---}

nK4MCq.jpg

We start off in Broadsville.

Iw7LnX.jpg

During the winter of 2014/2015 there were new buildings and lots to try out, a special shout out must go to nos.17 who single-handedly gave fresh life to malls, commercial strips and low-rise shopping complexes thanks to his great relots.

Zmi7Gz.jpg

Though Broadsville was never properly finished there were many areas complete; the town centre for instance.

TwHNeV.jpg

It was in Broadsville that I discovered diagonal buildings.

ZK28JD.jpg

I tried out every possible combination and arrangement, suffice to say it was a very steep learning curve.

18QWWt.jpg

I learnt that the hardest part of creating city blocks with diagonal buildings is the fillers and the gaps between the buildings.

yH1YAf.jpg

The other main area I finished in Broadsville was the industry just east of the town.

oqCdnH.jpg

It was a chance to once more explore FrankU's warehouse set.

6lYPU2.jpg

During this time I also discovered WorkingMan Productions. It was a small team who specialised in relots and rural BAT/LOTs.

asb4Sw.jpg

The city tile of Weckum came about by accident. It was originally a testing ground for a new type of mod the IRM W2W, that is T Wreck's wall-to-wall Industrial Revolution Mod. The IRM W2W uses buildings and props to help create W2W industrial areas.

ttEKes.jpg

This is a very brilliant mod as it is super useful for creating an early/mid 20th century feel to urban areas. In those times factories and warehouses were often closely situated to homes and shops.

t5AjLr.jpg

And back to Broadsville and the industrial area.

b8jUoc.jpg

I wanted these areas to have more car parks and space.

T5QMkM.jpg

X5SJJz.jpg

This area is a very weird mix of elements: highway lots, residential, alleyways and rural industry. But it somehow works...

yiilvv.jpg

Here I push to the limits Jestarr's BATs. It's all about how to combine them all together.

p4gjm0.jpg

p0FMHM.jpg

XSObjk.jpg

aJYML0.jpg

And now for something very different; a Medieval town!

d7XKDy.jpg

Here's the link for xannepan's castle: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3036.

jEAFs3.jpg

The rest of the buildings are from Wallibuk who creates a lot of East European buildings which can be found on the STEX. For the castle walls look for the Slovak/Hungarian smalltown file.

Yk93HC.jpg

This trick I picked up from Fasan (of SC4D). The trick is to plop in vanilla agricultural fields and hide their edges with MMPs. This simple method can yield some ridiculously realistic farming scenes.

UBwlzJ.jpg

KLLNcS.jpg

OUEtck.jpg

And now back to Weckum. As strange as it may sound but industry as often been my muse in SC4, it was the first thing which pushed me towards more realistic city designs.

lwvzWZ.jpg

In early 2015 I was still figuring out how to create "realistic" cities. These days I don't even think about the realism anymore, now it's 100% aesthetics.

fCloXm.jpg

Yet more work on creating seamless diagonal fillers.

NT0eDe.jpg

By this time I was heavily using T Wrecks 5x5 apartments to infill suburbs. T Wrecks is one hell of a relotter!

HGuzEV.jpg

And another power station!

i7s1uJ.jpg

This big, black skyscraper was a happy accident, yet it came to define the city centre of Weckum.

13Pt3N.jpg

The city blocks on display here are some of the first where I began making sure every building fitted. This greatly added to the time required to finish cities, while it also involved insane amounts of demolishing buildings still I got the right one. At least I managed to find the lotplop cheat though during this time!

wlON4T.jpg

And the completed city tile of Weckum.

2mzKk8.jpg

PjfLM5.jpg

In an interview on the now defunct PLEX, Paeng stated how he would focus on one area trying to make sure every building, every fillers, every MMP, every lot, every square tile looked right and "fitted". Three years ago I thought this was obsessive, but I came to adopt this style during 2015.

Nn9EpZ.jpg

It was in Weckum that I discovered how MMPs could complement urban areas. The cars in the back alleyway are all MMPs despite them appearing as props on those building lots; MMPs can help to give extra detail and spice in lots!

qfU8tB.jpg

I also discovered Goofyguytpa's W2W buildings, these are invaluable for infilling urban areas!

AxwHCu.jpg

Another thing I started doing as well in early 2015 was making sure the ground textures flowed smoothly. Ground textures trip up many SC4 players in their quest for realism. This became my strength in 2015 and I explored this even further in 2016 in both rural and urban settings.

gwkX6e.jpg

KK04YY.jpg

{---}

In the next set of highlights there is a lot from Weckum and also from Annuq. It was in Annuq that I found a standard I was at last happy with- quality, ground texture consistency, good RCI placement and variety and all kinds of other factors.

Ln X

Ivrklz.jpg

Replies:

Silur: Thank you!

RandyE: Thanks!

Mańkowsky: Thanks, it was the only major seaport I ever made in this game.

Fantozzi: This mayor will be sure to build a wall bordering your city tile and make your city pay for it all!

_Michael: The port was on the wish list of things to do, it was an experiment which went right.

tariely: Mas71's river pieces are some of the best urban fillers going. They also come in diagonals too!

matias93: What you need is a datpacker to identity the erroneous file, drop me a PM and I'll show you how to identify the growable lots giving you CTD grief. Thanks for providing the link as well.

Sciurus: Cheers!

kschmidt: I always cram in a lot with each city tile. The RHW does take up a lot of space but I haven't tried stacking networks that much. For the habour I mixed different seaport sets together: pegasus and nbvc.

mike_oxlong: Thank you! Also the XyloCorp skyscraper is one of the coolest buildings going: it even has small parks on the lower roofs. Definitely the best curving skyscraper ever batted. Check out his other buildings too; he has created the London Shard.

juliok92012: Thank you!

jacob814: I do it's called the Cities Skylines Scrapbook, it is about twenty or so entries. But I stopped playing C:S as it was fragging out the graphics cards.

{---}

Highlights from Entry 61 to 70

This is the last of the highlights from 2014. Most of it is from Townshead but there are a few special surprises too from that period of the year with the CJ.

{---}

z6M5K1.jpg

These set of pictures are from Repoville which is a port town.

zqRK5X.jpg

I mixed seaport facilities with heavy industry to add more variety.

70EXOG.jpg

I only had a few sections which were diagonal because otherwise they get quite repetitive.

hjxJ7S.jpg

For some reason it took a while getting the road to slope upwards correctly. I use road slope mods to ensure roads gently ascend up hills.

IzvPGS.jpg

WBzK2I.jpg

One of nbvc's marina sets.

NXkfzB.jpg

Using diagonal fillers can complement diagonal roads and even help to differentiate them, and separate them, in rural areas.

ZMwb80.jpg

One of my favourite night shots. The lighting came just right in nearly all areas.

fUzuDS.jpg

And now back to Townshead.

Ns1LE6.jpg

The Lotus Temple.

s3v4Qi.jpg

The next seven or so pictures are all from Townshead's CBD.

90ruiW.jpg

IVY0pB.jpg

I like to juxtapose hi-rise with low-rise and medium-rise buildings as this is commonly scene in city centres. It also gives a good sense of old versus new.

OocIbD.jpg

MqzZMy.jpg

More low/high juxtaposition.

Des3Dt.jpg

rSUNCm.jpg

6XBeNX.jpg

The next city tile is Ravensworth. The inspiration came from Fasan's Krokanien MD: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=16683.40.

C0mBfx.jpg

It was Fasan's pictures which inspired to create rural scenes with lots of MMPs.

NZJTqL.jpg

He also inspired me to to mix together MMPs, buildings, lots, roads and surface painters all together.

qx3myZ.jpg

Here is a mixture of MMPs, lots and fillers. The idea is that it's impossible to tell where the lots begin and where the MMPs begin.

x1hX7H.jpg

The JENX Poseidon Water Effects mod comes with surface painters. They impose a texture which overrides every other texture. The result is a fusion of terrain textures and surface painter textures.

syLK6r.jpg

I also spent some time consolidating my MMP field skills when working on Ravensworth.

3YMrUD.jpg

bSc3oR.jpg

I also worked out to plop buildings without having to place them next to a (visible) road. The trick is to hide the one-tile piece of road with the surface painter tool and voila! Realistic offset farms.

sJZhb5.jpg

And now back to Townshead.

XbEvef.jpg

More experiments with creating plazas and city squares.

dnFPIP.jpg

hBbmTy.jpg

FO1TXW.jpg

VL5NZT.jpg

XjMUUz.jpg

yQIYRw.jpg

ekr775.jpg

35onC6.jpg

rouhta.jpg

Before there was Simcity 4 there was Lego cities.

iyi2Fj.jpg

O4NL2R.jpg

yDXKUA.jpg

8LWKbl.jpg

Aawn9I.jpg

IzkRdG.jpg

tzwqgW.jpg

Here was another park I designed for Townshead.

KGdJqz.jpg

Towards the end I spent most of my time infilling the empty terrain areas in Townshead with MMPs fields, forests and grasslands.

OOmhLp.jpg

Fasan's Krokenian MD probably had some influence here!

uehGpY.jpg

pC1gaw.jpg

x3CC3k.jpg

This next city park was the final one I created for Townshead.

rlQKVw.jpg

It was important to create different sizes of paths. Larger for main paths and smaller for minor routes which walkers would prefer.

g5DjJE.jpg

OKUenz.jpg

g1J7GU.jpg

3C2u9w.jpg

9mOn7s.jpg

GwV4SJ.jpg

FaU8ua.jpg

Sometimes it's good to have only pure textures to complete city blocks...

O0DkEi.jpg

{---}

And this marks the end of the highlights for 2014. I made some remarkable progress in 2014 and there was some methods I used which I have not stopped using.

2015 was the year where I found a standard which I was happy with, where everything I placed down had to fit in. The first half of the year was marked with a lot of experimentation, the city tile of Weckum proved to be a halfway point where I started to at last focus on every building that went into a city block. But it was Annuq where I finally worked out how to do it in a proper way and in a way where there was transitions between different textures and buildings.

So, for the next set of highlights, there is a little bit of everything: farms, diagonals, the urban, rural scenes, power stations, large industry and other special goodies.

Ln X

1H75H8.jpg

Replies:

Urban Constanta: Thank you!

tariely: You're welcome.

Simmer2: I use GIMP and adjust overall brightness, contrast, saturation and colour brightness for different effects.

slickbg56: Thanks for your comment and thanks for explaining how you created those road lots.

kschmidt: I just downloaded everything I could, plus I always knew where most of the plugins were in the game. Thanks for your comment!

Tonraq: The photoshopping has brought new life to pictures at least two years old.

jmsepe: There's no river traffic you see!

Sciurus: I'm not sure if I took any detailed pictures of that interchange, sorry!

BugeyedDragon: You can find the apartments here, they are one of Paeng's brilliant relots.

Abrams124: Thanks for that!

{---}

Highlights from Entries 51 to 60

Pictures come from the city tiles of San Widge, Townshead and Repoville. Prepare for some MMP magic!

{---}

4oygDW.jpg

The pictures start with San Widge.

EUGLVq.jpg

Wood fillers and car parks, staples of my filler techniques.

1FyJPJ.jpg

I also began integrating different NAM layouts to help add a bit of road realism to cities.

ljVAm6.jpg

It was in San Widge that I began focusing on W2W buildings.

n1D147.jpg

The park in this picture is special because it was here where I learnt how to use MMP flora.

155j1G.jpg

FTMwc8.jpg

This is where I worked out how to create convincing grassland and marshland areas.

nJNpVb.jpg

I also paid more attention to the little details such as park fencing and entrances.

6XhuxY.jpg

And now for the good stuff.

20wmWY.jpg

This is where it finally clicked and I decided to blend two or more flora MMPs together. One MMP would be a flower, bush or piece of grass; the other MMP would thicken the vegetation. I also added random variation and distribution of different flora types: bush, grass, marsh, flowers...

iJ1wIg.jpg

Townshead is a very interesting transition point in this CJ's development. I knew how to use MMPs and I used them on a massive scale in Townshead, but I was still just zoning residential in most areas and just letting it grow willy-nilly. It was this factor which was holding me back throughout 2014, but in 2015 this changed as I began focusing on every building, lot and plot of land!

iTm58R.jpg

In large parts of Townshead I elevated ground in various 16m increments and went overboard with the retaining walls.

uq6rKv.jpg

I did make substantial progress with commercial areas as I became increasingly selective about which buildings to plop down. I was now more often plopping then growing buildings.

I7TmOW.jpg

One of the largest stadium complexes I ever created!

1ydHSq.jpg

I also realised how elevating train tracks above the rest of the ground could make them stand out in a very cool and realistic way.

U1a3Q5.jpg

I also get very quirky with RHW interchanges too!

1d6YqU.jpg

Here I was trying to emulate Haljackey a bit with the various road layouts.

ZB3wR1.jpg

But I went a step further by using MMPs to infill areas.

Vfd1Vu.jpg

This small city block is an example of how I could make RCI areas very good when I started paying more attention to the buildings being placed inside the city blocks.

OLruoa.jpg

I also began to explore creating layers with different diagonal fillers which would merge together rather seamlessly.

xou0kx.jpg

This is Townshead's Downtown area.

d8Dnhq.jpg

LiBNcO.jpg

A bit more W2W...

7wmts8.jpg

XEPCcn.jpg

The area in the middle is One Castle Hill.

Qeb4eC.jpg

I used multiple layers in One Castle Hill which had been raised by 16m, 32m or 48m.

MN1Qgi.jpg

I wanted to create a stepped area and this was a huge project as I had to align a lot of terrain and areas!

dn6NtR.jpg

Not only were there homes and commercial but also wild areas too.

cy1IPS.jpg

And this is the top of One Castle Hill.

Be6nm6.jpg

GIi3hO.jpg

For these suburbs I wanted to try something very different...

cvmb7b.jpg

There would be streets and homes but these would be spaced out by grassland and woodland.

k0Rt3d.jpg

The green areas are some of my standard MMP templates. 

SARAoh.jpg

I also explored creating a transition between coniferous and deciduous woodland...

xkzMj5.jpg

MOqK8b.jpg

KsiQq8.jpg

gJXbN2.jpg

Joui2w.jpg

And now for something completely different- the port town of Repoville.

64k7Zw.jpg

The seaport was one of my projects on the "to do" list- very unique and challenging things which have been rarely attempted on SC4. While a year or two later I managed to complete a quarry, lumber industry and the dam, I didn't manage to get around to creating an open-cast coal mine.

feo2og.jpg

The habour and the seaport took an immense amount of time with the levelling of the land and getting the width correct to place in the seaport lots.

PoTGwe.jpg

It was also the first and only time I used the Fukushima power plants!

0zmNPV.jpg

7lCbat.jpg

z8fuXo.jpg

HlUPbt.jpg

op86on.jpg

AG2Cu6.jpg

It was in Repoville that I started using FrankU's warehouses to create modular industrial complexes and industrial estates.

QrJZVc.jpg

It was quite the challenge fitting in the railways and the buildings which had transit-enabled railway lots.

1YyDdt.jpg

I also started experimenting with using vehcile MMPs to spruce up minor streets and back alleyways.

ONDzPt.jpg

{---}

In the next batch of highlights these chronicle the final entries from 2014. After that the highlights will start on 2015 and that was the year this CJ reached a standard I was at last happy with; it also marked the time when I started detailing EVERYTHING!

Ln X

Pcyoip.jpg

Replies:

Tyberius06: My only piece of advice is to download the most recent dependencies on the WMP website. The way they lay them out is not good but it may explain the brown box you have with the roundhouse. There will be more highlights to come and the finale, after that the occasional picture every month in the SC4 forums.

raynev1: Thanks a lot! As for the newcomers... Well it's all part of this consolidatory process, the photoshopping helps give a second lease of life to pictures two or three years old.

Scicrus: Thank you!

metarvo: That's a good point. While the wildflower areas you mentioned are an important part of my industry building methods; for all the concrete there is a surprising amount of grass and bushes.

Urban Constanta: Cheers!

BugeyedDragon: Here you go-

tariely: Your admiration is appreciated!

Odainsaker: That must be the "Vivid" photoshop technique I use where I increase contrast and lower saturation.

Silur: Thanks!

kschmidt: I always add that variety to ensure each CJ entry from that city feels different. I do have both airport and habour sets, however I have rarely used the airport sets, for some reason I could never get into airports. Well I'm greedy and wanted anything that looked good, so while it does mean a bit longer searching it does get quicker with practice. Thanks for your comment!

Bipin: Your BATs and grungy pictures were a big inspiration for the industry, so thank you!

{---}

Highlights from Entries 41 to 50

And the journey through past entries continues! These selection of entries are quite important because I finally work out how to create some decent MMP scenes and I continue to develop my skills with the creation of city blocks and special areas.

{---}

gTbVnX.jpg

The city of San Widge. I completed this city in its entirety, sadly I had to battle prop pox to get the job done.

mAGzp2.jpg

I also made improvements with the spacing within city centres. Less packed skyscrapers and more plazas, parks and car-parking.

5WMAGe.jpg

One part of the World Trade Centre complex I created in San Widge.

MA24fv.jpg

I wanted to raise the entire city block to further elevate the Twin Towers.

wlRRNO.jpg

nVnicv.jpg

2KenGL.jpg

At this point I began using Reddonquixote's BATs.

L9H6Dm.jpg

It was also the first time I utilised Mas71's river banks and river pieces set.

cGwsqd.jpg

At the time best city parking set available was Hooha's parking sets, this was about two years ago before KingOfSimCity published his amazing parking sets.

onCmJx.jpg

Another first in my city design was creating a sunken RHW highway. This took many hours!

8vgFOQ.jpg

I also created some elaborate RHW interchanges AND decorated them too.

nsMTSe.jpg

I was also learning from experience how to place various BATs and LOTs together.

vQUFOI.jpg

0AX4ER.jpg

More often than not I was creating coherent scenes within the CBDs at this stage.

KXlcAT.jpg

fN2ln9.jpg

And back to Grethor.

ci9hhg.jpg

And yet more experiments with MMPs.

4mepBm.jpg

This was the first farm that looked reasonably realistic, before than I had relied on the building and the lot it came in, however here I add to this with different buildings and fillers- such as FrankU's greenhouses.

TMSOOP.jpg

0tUXOJ.jpg

This dark green grass came from Jeronij's MMP sets I believe.

UTALJ8.jpg

RmtwSp.jpg

Here I was practising my mid-rise urban development; I often feel mid-rise areas are hard to get right because they need a lot of varying fillers to make the entire area look good.

DOzmxm.jpg

7ze70m.jpg

At the bottom left is a rather funny solution I found to the challenge of fencing FA roads. I decided to use Chrisadams3997's curved fence pieces to create a continuous fence, one which was not jagged or abruptly went from straight to diagonal. Whoever designs FA fencing deserves a Trixie or a spot in SC4D's Hall of Fame. Or both.

xIx6Os.jpg

This was a preview picture of Townshead, a very important city which helped consolidate my SC4 skills.

DoETXU.jpg

And now back to San Widge.

tuZnxy.jpg

I basically went nuts designing intricate railways networks within the city, and sunken railway networks and detailed railways networks with tree fillers, fences and retaining walls.

GPJebF.jpg

Here I combine Paeng plazas, Paeng parks and rsc204's diagonal filler set.

OVQVu6.jpg

I think one of the strengths of this MD/CJ was combining different filler sets together and discovering how they could help to create a unified look or detailed look within a city area.

IsqziP.jpg

p12tlF.jpg

The San Widge CBD at night.

TM10OP.jpg

UUg7ll.jpg

bJsgcZ.jpg

qjhroG.jpg

QEkmkk.jpg

Funb44.jpg

x1Zl93.jpg

nl9i91.jpg

8jWbLF.jpg

nad1Ur.jpg

E6yhZ5.jpg

And now on to Townshead. When I focused on one particular area and became very selective about the buildings the quality produced was equal to anything shown in my more recent entries, say the last fifty.

s0Z8du.jpg

I even began experimenting with adding the right texture fillers to "expand" lots.

gzDG3F.jpg

While I took MMPing and natural landscaping within cities to a higher level, my own personal level that is, with Townshead.

wpoGAN.jpg

Bladerunner.

5RlImo.jpg

There were still two problems: I still relied on sporadic RCI development and I did not have enough variety of fillers nor did I have the experience back then to really make the most out of what I had within the plugins.

v8IuYP.jpg

But my MMP skills were finally starting to produce some good, consistent results. By the end of 2014 I knew how to create convincing rocky areas and forested areas.

{---}

For the next set of highlights prepare for urban architecture, seaports and the first of my MMP artwork (inspired in no large part by Fasan back at the end of 2014).

Ln X

VKWJkV.jpg

Replies

nos.17: Thank you!

kschmidt: Thanks! I do like to try out a variety of different building styles in SC4.

tariely: :thumb:

raynev1: Thanks for your kind words!

metarvo: That's the idea with the diagonals!

city89: Because it wasn't a very good airport, that's why. Also I have never focused on airports.

sejr99999: Thanks!

{---}

Highlights from Entries 31 to 40

In these highlights there are three city tiles: Zooropa, Grethor and San Widge. These three cities are the big three which marked my transition into landscaping, MMPing and city construction with greater detailing.

{---}

xmtOhM.jpg

With Zooropa I actually started afresh with the plugins -- deleted everything! -- and rebuilt the plugin folder from scratch. The first thing I did was to ditch the CAM.

PgPjpi.jpg

With Zooropa I wanted to try out my low-rise skills.

PrEC1R.jpg

Though the eclectic RCI layout remains!

Uqdo3k.jpg

My first ever use of retaining walls.

gVdOUT.jpg

I also discovered T Wrecks IRM fillers- every city since Zooropa has ALWAYS used them!

EdOaJz.jpg

It was in Zooropa that I stumbled across my method for creating fields with MMPs: choose one plant, then a second plant to complement it (thicken up the vegetation) and lastly lay down dirt MMPs.

BmGbBZ.jpg

I also started using ionionion's OMCo Filling Gravel to dirty up the textures in my MMP fields.

B4kg6f.jpg

Zooropa was a very crucial stepping stone.

5XCb2I.jpg

The next crucial stepping stone is the industrial town of Grethor.

TAoxhY.jpg

To date it is the largest industrial area I have ever created.

8l3tRT.jpg

A large part of the area was the nuclear power plant I added in.

FCrlYw.jpg

yGTiCe.jpg

aBkuKu.jpg

Finally I was creating a concrete labyrinth which is exactly what industry feels like.

2EKVwf.jpg

hA7EwW.jpg

MMPing on the Lowkee Appalachian terrain mod. This is a VERY forgiving terrain when it comes to MMP usage.

M8ioGT.jpg

ace3vV.jpg

tixB6L.jpg

Good old black gold.

fDHzMH.jpg

I also utilised varying railway layouts in Grethor: orthogonal, diagonal and FA.

UNvhuS.jpg

L2o9ss.jpg

25XHiL.jpg

It was in Grethor that I became more picky about <what> emerged in residential zones. It's strange because I focused first on realistic industrial layouts, then realistic commercial layouts and finally realistic residential layouts.

euIFl9.jpg

I have always liked this picture. Must be the meadow.

CW3ljp.jpg

0pKNGp.jpg

eD3afa.jpg

The town centre in Grethor is a little muddled when it comes to the residential layout.

YfZFJW.jpg

Even so, I did make more of an effort to filter out the residential buildings I did not want.

TeC21N.jpg

zdEfjS.jpg

MMPs and Diggis ponds.

KIjWj7.jpg

sLkL08.jpg

1zKYA4.jpg

Larger stadium layouts...

UlOUEu.jpg

HYKfHQ.jpg

42jPSa.jpg

i1q1LZ.jpg

And now a few shots from San Widge.

xc9NYW.jpg

San Widge is a cursed city but I will explain more in the next entry.

fV8DR1.jpg

0dKIiH.jpg

I simple MMP landscape theme I created: adding ionionion OMCo filling gravel to add some variety to the woodland.

jIFN9Z.jpg

And this is probably the earliest example of my current approach to industry: natural scenary, parking, fillers and space.

TMdbLZ.jpg

9K4y6c.jpg

Smoothing out the diagonals...

n1GVRc.jpg

Concrete overload.

ayk12u.jpg

PaNZ2P.jpg

{---}

The next set of highlights will largely focus on San Widge, this is another important city as I focused a lot more on the CBD, railway networks, city parks and started to more clearly differentiate areas.

Ln X

rKgKgI.jpg

Replies:

Takingyouthere: My style was quite eccentric! Back then (about three years ago) for me an area would be complete once I had zoned an area and the buildings had popped up.

Akallan: Thank you!

raynev1: Thanks! It's the only way I could think of to wrap up this CJ.

{---}

Highlights from Entries 21 to 30

Today's entries are from two city tiles: Treblane and Stokesley. In Treblane I continued to develop my industrial and CBD skills, whilst in Stokesley I heavily experimented with MMPs, landscaping and water.

{---}

TlqbMV.jpg

Treblane was the largest city I had finished and I tried to create a wider layout for the different building densities.

l8VgCp.jpg

The first power plant I created. I used Paeng's coal cheatsheet for some of the lots.

qukaom.jpg

Also around that time I began searching for other big industrial LOTs.

VuA6Dj.jpg

7loVnt.jpg

The first row of diagonal housing I created.

cEu1w4.jpg

Not sure why but there is something about this particular stretch of the waterfront.

JZ26nM.jpg

Diagonal housing forced me to be more methodical with suburban development.

IQLPWE.jpg

a9Lgri.jpg

But there was still more work to be done with the transitions between low to medium density.

kggmWp.jpg

Treblane CBD's was the second one I created.

l5xXXi.jpg

Use of the canals made me focus like I had never before and the result was a rather coherent area, quite surprising giving this was early on in the first year of the CJ.

3Jg2w0.jpg

yvbDRV.jpg

My ad-hoc zoning method would produce interesting results though...

NNSS0A.jpg

But the canals and their layout still hold up.

B198Kn.jpg

H8NVjk.jpg

I also began utilising large LOTs to create different themes within a downtown/CBD.

3v7Ds4.jpg

I experimented with SFBT diagonal fillers and canals to create this small park which is the size of a small city block.

uRlAbb.jpg

This curved train station can be found here- http://www.bripizza.net/sc4/1208NAMCurveSta/1208NAMCurveSta.html. Japanese BATters and LOTters are crazy!

GdId7L.jpg

I also spent some time, when I was building Treblane, finding more utility buildings on the STEX and LEX; especially garbage disposal buildings.

rSVl1Q.jpg

Treblane also marked the first time I used custom electricity pylons, these would become a staple item in future cities.

SwXVXR.jpg

The next set of pictures come from Stokesley.

qUCMVT.jpg

In Stokesley I worked on developing MMP rivers, waterfalls and land bridges.

wJWxtw.jpg

It was also a chance to test out my rural MMPing skills.

OqZF6r.jpg

One of the land bridges I created using the "rain" terraforming trick.

gtT7ZL.jpg

Yet another attempt at creating rocky terrain.

vH4f51.jpg

It was Stokesley where I began creating MMP footpaths with Heblem's footpath textures.

Yhu3QB.jpg

9Iz4vt.jpg

EPxitI.jpg

And yet more mountain work.

126xNm.jpg

This mountain I sculpted by hand, I wanted to emphasise the ridges and corries.

n1QwQr.jpg

And back to Treblane.

BMYKqw.jpg

8kdc7s.jpg

On display are a collection of LOTs from Paeng's coal cheatsheet.

JgTWB2.jpg

ulMr0u.jpg

The quality of some areas is on par with anything recent I have created, especially the night time shots.

utk5PD.jpg

And a return to Stokesley.

eiTqWN.jpg

A small stream and marshland. The techniques I learnt here would be applied extensively in the Faverdale city tile- something I showed this year.

CTClgt.jpg

mI2JEf.jpg

In the centre left is a scree slope, one of the first I designed and one of the first I felt I got somewhat right.

Fty9KX.jpg

7O8THX.jpg

And we return to Treblane once more.

wzoI2X.jpg

This approach of seamless orthogonal and diagonal transitions became a huge part of this CJ.

xXCfPb.jpg

4EUapn.jpg

Some of my first experiments with transitions involving the RHW.

QB3BL9.jpg

{---}

For New Year's Eve don't miss out the highlights of entries 31 to 40! Here I made quantum leaps with MMP fields, industrial layouts and MMPs.

Ln X

31jvvD.jpg

Replies:

BC Canuck: Thank you very much! I did continue on with skyscrapers but with later entries I got the city proportions better developed.

kingofsimcity: Thanks. I got my head around industry with Grendon which is highlighted in this entry.

Akallan: Thank you!

JP Schriefer: Thanks!

kschmidt: The highlights are a time capsule. Once they are done and once I have completed the finale, which is a video montage, then I have finished this CJ. Thank you for your comment!

{---}

Highlights from Entries 11 to 20

Enjoy the highlights, once these have been done and once I have finished the montage video that's it! I have removed all of my plugins and the backups, the slate is completely clean since my focus is on story-writing.

{---}

o1rIN3.jpg

Part of the industrial area of Grendon.

ZFN2Ja.jpg

My basic industrial style has never really changed since Grendon: railways, green spaces and large industrial complexes.

al3yfd.jpg

Grendon was also a great testing ground for all kinds of fillers: from grass, parking, grunge roads to highway supports...

mOUOFx.jpg

My first attempt at mixed residential zoning...

QOyJCr.jpg

I also extensively used diagonal texture extenders.

K5Tvkj.jpg

And my interest in grungy SC4 scenes was born in this city.

rJlcHr.jpg

The layout is there but the textures are not quite unified. I cracked this about a year later and two years later I began using grass base texture unifiers.

JeDidm.jpg

Also I began utilising different SAM streets to add more dirt and/or concrete to industrial areas.

AmqPVd.jpg

tK89l8.jpg

One of the first detailed industrial complexes I designed, for some reason oil refineries are quite easy to put together- must be because of the large lots!

SLnDRI.jpg

UIJx4t.jpg

The first mosaic- I even extended the width to test out GIMP.

IE7J1o.jpg

Some urban decoration. This was in its infancy and it honestly took me a long period of time to create coherent, realistic areas.

6raWoI.jpg

And some diagonals... Minus the diagonal housing!

PM1zKI.jpg

I also explored infilling residential complexes with parks and car parking.

UgjSDl.jpg

These next pictures come from Fernsville. This is where I began exploring MMPing, landscaping and agriculture.

RGsnzp.jpg

IrV2ML.jpg

Creating pasture scenes was quite easy, all it requires is a good terrain controller, fences and MMP animals.

YIDejV.jpg

9xfmoJ.jpg

But I still had to put in a lot of practice to get crops and MMP grasslands right, here it is all a bit ad-hoc.

7KPYwM.jpg

My first and only MMP vineyard.

lMX9Ou.jpg

Most of the features on the terrain are MMPs.

EgWAGB.jpg

I used a surface painter to plop a bland water texture on the ground.

jzyXAp.jpg

Stonehenge.

0xyObc.jpg

This is a meteor crater.

GgOH7z.jpg

CkX1Pp.jpg

Exploring rock crags...

1AJhfI.jpg

This lake was created with PEG's MMP water.

QNugCI.jpg

And this is where the landscaping comes in...

03O0TE.jpg

8sOZ6f.jpg

iyuhRX.jpg

xA0vZI.jpg

xklMQ9.jpg

I never kept this design for my first power plant complex in Treblane, I believe it was lost due to a CTD whilst saving, but the picture always looked good.

REmkH8.jpg

Treblane's CBD and canals...

6HtqUr.jpg

Treblane was where I started working on detailed CBDs...

The highlights from entries 21 to 30 will have quite a bit from Treblane and some very distinctive images.

Ln X

SyQNAR.jpg

Replies:

JP Schriefer: Thank you very much!

_Michael: Cheers!

raynev1: Thanks!

matervo: Rocks are the hardest thing to get right in SC4; glad you like them.

Tonraq: Thank you!

Cyclone Bloom: The final for Erinsberg, after going through the highlights of this CJ there is one final entry left which is a video montage and several more pictures.

MeMyself&I: What you said is true- I really did go over every single tile of Erinsberg. The continuity also comes from base texture mods which help unify the terrain textures and urban grass textures.

tariely: The pictures pop due to increasing the contrast and decreasing the saturation. It creates a "vivid" colour correction.

Simmer2: Thanks!

mike_oxlong: :thumb:

rathefalcon: Thanks. Coming up later is a finale to wrap up the entire CJ.

citybuilder234: That was the idea.

{---}

Highlights from Entries 1 to 10

I will be selecting 2 to 5 pictures from each entry which I felt looked the best, all of them will have a touch of GIMP applied to them. This is a brief recap of everything that I have done. Once this is done then I will knock up a video montage and that will be it for the CJ. So enjoy the ride!

{---}

oYwYxp.jpg

Tamboria was the first city to be shown.

3uSLyQ.jpg

I had gathered together about 4GB of plugins and decided to experiment with them; Tamboria was thus a testing ground for the buildings, lots and mods that I had downloaded.

2vH46N.jpg

Back then I loved using Paeng's Industrial Grunge Alleyways.

mkWqnI.jpg

No fillers- just crammed in residential!

0y4t6y.jpg

One of the first parks I worked on.

Ztjl2Y.jpg

There was also a bit of MMP work too by adding in additional trees.

E8WqXV.jpg

The Lotus Temple.

1lIN6m.jpg

The mountain on the left is Fraizer's Point.

1ttyKM.jpg

Back then I was using the Zurich region, made by blunder, with Berner Oberland terrain.

Mdsq69.jpg

This was my first use of MMP paths.

m1PQVR.jpg

UhtGFB.jpg

This was also the first time I used MMP rocks and boulders too.

bOn7YS.jpg

But the rock MMPs I added by the path were far less convincing.

K8ENOk.jpg

The third city tile which I showed was that of Cranksville.

iGsPS6.jpg

This was a finished city unlike Tamboria, well there will still big gaps in the city tile but I felt it was finished at the time. It was in Cranksville that I developed my obsession with railways and railway mods.

lXmpW6.jpg

I think the use of CAM helped as it contained many distinctive and large RCI buildings.

kAAEnG.jpg

The CAM buildings are spectacular, however I stopped using CAM when discovering it had stability issues to it.

y12r2Q.jpg

And so began my journey with the use of fillers...

ZWtTf0.jpg

Focusing so much on railways helped develop my sense of realism in SC4.

7K9Tu1.jpg

The first finished CBD.

uKh6Pf.jpg

vxVClI.jpg

The first lake I created.

CvU71D.jpg

It took many hours filling in the banks.

GTmzQP.jpg

{---}

My favourite pictures have to be from Fraizer's Point, the Berner Oberland terrain and the Arden Tree Controller worked brilliantly on blunder's Zurich region. So I didn't have to add much!

This weekend there will be highlights from Entries 11 to 20.

Ln X

C951ZT.jpg

Replies:

Adrianor: Thank you!

JP Schriefer: :thumb:

tariely: Thank you! Bad news though- this next entry has fifteen mosaics.

raynev1: Thanks a lot!

tonyr: Oh yeah!

juliok92012: Cheers!

BC Cunuck: Thanks for the comment. As for the menus, well I have a good memory. But there are still items which I have never used, also the park and landmark menus are humongous in size.

kschmidt: Yeah West Erinsberg has a great mix of zones. A lot of the buildings have massive lots but it still required adding fillers to finish a city block. I'm not sure what the purpose is for that building in picture 32. Thanks a lot for your comment!

whiteshark365: Thanks; a large part of the credit should go to Simmer2 who designed the railyard lot.

feyss: Thanks!

TekindusT: A lot of these buildings are quite similar in style, and some styles just "rhyme". Besides SC4 always had a haute cuisine of styles with the vanilla buildings.

jmsepe: It's a bit rural but you would be surprised just how much rural elements there are inside industrial complexes. Simmer 2 also created some compact, urban-styled railyards too.

Urban Constanta: :thumb:

sunda: Thank you very much!

{---}

Update 153: Chunder's Mound and Griffith Observatory

This is the final entry from Erinsberg. While Chunder's Mound, the tallest mountain in the city tile, was one of the first areas I worked on when I began MMPing the north of the city tile, I feel it is one of the more interesting rural areas of Erinsberg.

Due to the layout of Chunder's Mound this entry has A LOT of mosaics; fifteen in total.

{---}

POTcQN.jpg

drummo.jpg

pVNPLB.jpg

q28Z1y.jpg

UBPVXL.jpg

zBM17S.jpg

This was the first area I began MMPing.

ybSsbD.jpg

I4Ps0r.jpg

Ochcc8.jpg

SWBhCK.jpg

Mosaics are the best way of appreciating the scale and layout of Chunder's Mound.

cbxC1Q.jpg

Griffith Observatory. Yet another famous landmark in the north of the Erinsberg city tile.

lc7m0o.jpg

The building can be found here- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30905-griffith-observatory/

7nFoUQ.jpg

3FL1wT.jpg

taaiNM.jpg

Another rural-to-urban mosaic.

Xvjipf.jpg

ZdaBgr.jpg

wDpFSI.jpg

tMjrQX.jpg

The scenic look-out can be found here- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/14809-peg-mtp-scenic-views/.

49jRwb.jpg

DBrXs0.jpg

86bVql.jpg

Vm7Usl.jpg

zUsS5f.jpg

G71ryq.jpg

The northeast part of the city tile.

78Lz7h.jpg

A cloudy day in the forest.

MdGq6f.jpg

kVDWI1.jpg

HaxSw9.jpg

A VERY cloudy day in the forest.

h2y0hp.jpg

w5YHoN.jpg

Twhjnz.jpg

wg4CFG.jpg

FBSYaP.jpg

uvIP5F.jpg

kw0op3.jpg

The east side of Chunder's Mound.

C5ISmi.jpg

s8FutN.jpg

A flyover of the east side of Chunder's Mound.

azAR1w.jpg

And the top of the mountain itself.

y8xADI.jpg

BHeHjE.jpg

The peak of Chunder's Mound is marked by a trig point, gravel and a cluster of stones. This is VERY British!

Ke6TXC.jpg

6SlMUZ.jpg

4rS2ok.jpg

jq40sA.jpg

The west side of Chunder's Mound segues into the east part of Flander's Hills.

zMFOOG.jpg

A big part of the challenge of MMPing the north of Erinsberg was creating distinctive themes for each area.

nZzYLE.jpg

The flora from the tree controller only gave me so much to work with. I had to create organic gaps in the tree line by bulldozing areas of woodland in a natural pattern; this gave Chunder's Mound its distinctive look.

Yun7Bm.jpg

QfYzkx.jpg

AQG5DJ.jpg

The view from Chunder's Mound at night.

muh3mo.jpg

And at day.

dPViPg.jpg

Cityscape...

VgPBzE.jpg

On a large scale... For SC4!

{---}

The next entry will be taking a selection of some of my favourite pictures from past entries of this CJ. It will start with the first ten entries, then the next ten and then working all the way to the latest ones. After that there will be entry with a video montage and several new pictures.

Ln X

West Erinsberg

Czkpua.jpgReplies:

_Michael: It took a lot of terraforming and road laying to get them roads smoothly rolling over the hills.

tariely: That final mosaic was an absolute nightmare to do. Crashes, crashes and more crashes every time I was moving away from the city centre. Finally I got about six photos and the game crashed, so what I did was carefully note my position on the map to carry on taking pictures. I was only two pixels out!

raynev1: Exactly- BAM! And thanks for that comment, all I do is show what is possible without using the Lot Editor or Korver's style of photoshopping.

aciaKa: Thanks!

whiteshark365: It took six weeks, I would go to work and then come back home and spend most of my time laying down grass and tree MMPs.

JP Schriefer: I like both, the urban and the nature, equally.

_marsh_: Put it this way- I couldn't take enough pictures which is why I used a lot of mosaics.

MeMyself&I: Erinsberg is a fantasy-styled Los Angeles.

kschmidt: Thanks- for the woodland I used the tree controller and then used MMPs to increase flora density. I had to use the road as the parking nearby had a road transit-enabled lot. Thank you very much for your kind comment!

{---}

Update 152: West Erinsberg

This area is a mixture of commie flats, apartments, shops, light industry and of course the Staples Centre.

{---}

LjbyIi.jpg

avRKD2.jpg

XnZIZX.jpg

mReUBx.jpg

dBKdo0.jpg

EoLK47.jpg

vL9bVs.jpg

9U5c4j.jpg

a6HaPt.jpg

XIk0Nc.jpg

G3sQr3.jpg

sLdo7W.jpg

CqPFlg.jpg

uJWCgk.jpg

UFws9s.jpg

52x1vQ.jpg

CPpnAk.jpg

rOkJZi.jpg

lJ9ITx.jpg

25mpwK.jpg

r8Zjje.jpg

u02An1.jpg

rgAFkO.jpg

e0JTbf.jpg

tB8iKM.jpg

uzOCDa.jpg

t8yvfL.jpg

NQD09v.jpg

8i50yZ.jpg

bfzgNJ.jpg

yoCSaB.jpg

PL0E1h.jpg

8zGSoM.jpg

IfIV8v.jpg

HIXSZ6.jpg

1gm0CA.jpg

5Sq7OD.jpg

3rw8a7.jpg

4rxVyx.jpg

8wn07p.jpg

{---}

Next weekend the next entry will be back to the countryside and to the mountains...

Ln X

Flander's Hills

pTj4DM.jpg

Replies:

feyss: Yep!

_Michael: Thank you! Ferox buildings were an experiment with blending W2W European with W2W American.

tariely: Yep- they are the CSX Mansion reward lots.

raynev1: Thanks a lot for your well-wishes!

BugeyedDragon: Thank you!

El Argentino: Sometimes black and white is the best.

kschmidt: Thank you! The building is the CSX Mansion Broadlands- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=143. Collect all the CSX mansions as they are great fillers for suburbs!

{---}

Update 151: Flander's Hills

Hills. Pasture. Grassland. Woodland.

Enjoy!

{---}

gnh3mO.jpg

mFHXzy.jpg

cNMQCI.jpg

76ca0s.jpg

jUQ0ZJ.jpg

47wwMh.jpg

3yYveL.jpg

r9L1vQ.jpg

vbLKbC.jpg

gL00i1.jpg

x8296y.jpg

2w4EVC.jpg

8ZGpeE.jpg

mA0RhN.jpg

CSqseH.jpg

9FTj37.jpg

jU5NYa.jpg

68a5nA.jpg

YcMqJd.jpg

wkgVvU.jpg

7SqaJj.jpg

dwXhx9.jpg

YIYmgs.jpg

IGiWA8.jpg

UUyex8.jpg

jbgh3u.jpg

zgTRX2.jpg

Izx1kw.jpg

Nr2k0Z.jpg

puFQ69.jpg

bjm4FC.jpg

MIr9xk.jpg

zDWR43.jpg

yiX3hA.jpg

DJTwgf.jpg

A0w5qh.jpg

{---}

Since my spare time is more limited, I will be posting one entry a week.

Ln X

Victoria's Quarter

Replies:

Mańkowsky: :thumb:

korver: Thanks! It's also getting a bit more quicker photoshopping in clouds.

raynev1: Image 11 took a while to get right as the first changes had too much contrast and saturation. Anyway, if I do somehow get a book published and a few more afterwards, then it's time to think about Hollywood. My story writing is largely science fiction.

rathefalcon: Cheers!

Fatjuice: Thank you very much! Now, if you check the download page on Bripizza, it contains a dependency on the left side of the screen which has the concrete texture. http://www.bripizza.net/sc4/201311LWH/201311LWH.html

kschmidt: Thanks!

mrsmartan: :ohyes:

tariely: I can think the landslip/(scree slope) should have been longer and should have fanned out some more. The straight grass lines by the FA road are unavoidable, it was that or have jagged grass lines as the MMPs will not plop onto road tiles. The building in question is Mattb325's Sandgate Council Chambers- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3283.

_Michael: Thanks a lot!

Cyclone Boom: Thanks for the well-wishes!

{---}

Update 150: Victoria's Quarter

This next entry from Erinsberg is from a more older part of the town. Quite a bit of it is pre-20th century buildings with modern road networks running through.

{---}

5dc59P.jpg

OsbcOZ.jpg

0zg5Rl.jpg

579hDd.jpg

jipdlF.jpg

zGu3tE.jpg

B8W0F6.jpg

R7oec6.jpg

V3Icwn.jpg

PQMFa0.jpg

hijzZM.jpg

wD8dui.jpg

IRiKpF.jpg

tx2nsc.jpg

1mRfe4.jpg

0Jh3Ja.jpg

lcgxaG.jpg

XU8VlU.jpg

c0uAEE.jpg

wAtYAd.jpg

fWVT8C.jpg

3mWI9l.jpg

RJzB6g.jpg

dxsY0j.jpg

IlhO0n.jpg

7QDwmj.jpg

O5fPuW.jpg

sijF0U.jpg

oyMHPg.jpg

92CGNF.jpg

83r5lM.jpg

YTf0ej.jpg

gTawJT.jpg

fnVKWT.jpg

bpHyKe.jpg

bjrUAM.jpg

oBFGke.jpg

qG4d9P.jpg

{---}

Next entry is something more rural...

Ln X

150th Episode Special

JfRwZk.jpg

Replies:

Mańkowsky: Thanks!

simmytu: It took a six week period infilling the woods with MMPs. Every day from work I would come and spend most of my spare time adding in MMPs, also the area was one third the size of a large city tile- it was a mad period! The building is an ILL Tonkso building-

sunda: Muito obrigado! As casas inclinadas eram grandes para florestas e encostas íngremes (usando o Google Translate).

MeMyself&I: Cheers! I made darn sure the type of MMP trees used loosely matched the deciduous and coniferous trees in the suburbs.

raynev1: I am stopping because spare time is limited. Now I write stories.

MissVanleider: Thank you very much! As for that brutal-looking building, I think it is a Simgoober building but I'm not sure.

Simmer2: Thank you! Your creations helped to make some of that work possible.

tariely: Good stuff, good stuff... To answer your question- I have noticed that Mattb325 buildings which have big lots tend to dominate, especially in medium density residential be that 5x5 or 6x6. His W2W British commercial buildings rarely appear and have to be plopped in.

{---}

150th Episode Special: Abbey Road Studios, Hotel California, construction site and more...

So almost three years later and I'm now at the 150th entry, the last 50 entries have definitely been my favourite and with these ones I worked out ways of being more consistent with the lots, fillers and MMPs. Special thanks must be given to you guys and gals who have posted great comments, they have always spurred me on.

After this entry there will be several more, including one video montage. After that I call it quits with SC4; spare time has now become limited with the teacher training course in further education.

{---}

lFtsxU.jpg

This area is just west of Anthlem.

KNq3eO.jpg

WDHxjj.jpg

This area alone contains two famous landmarks in Erinsberg.

NXIFuG.jpg

The 1st is Abbey Road Studios. Found here- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1844.

n1NkaA.jpg

The cool thing about this BAT is that it comes with row houses.

KfU067.jpg

174Uf4.jpg

The small building in the middle, by the diagonal paving, is the Hotel California.

OvppQ1.jpg

Many years ago this building was a gathering point for an occult cult.

cslR9Z.jpg

The road weaves...

qZx9Sh.jpg

KQxL80.jpg

To the left is Stalag's Range.

LLCHVd.jpg

xJn8I1.jpg

There are paths leading to both Fallingwater and the Hollywood sign.

YdJiT1.jpg

G3QPyZ.jpg

OmcM3O.jpg

Pvz14W.jpg

Ol7TEp.jpg

dotKaC.jpg

b6Tu35.jpg

All paths lead to Hollywood...

f0cQsA.jpg

cx2AmF.jpg

FQlp32.jpg

KI6LxO.jpg

A new housing estate is being developed just south of the Hollywood sign.

fD6rhi.jpg

Check out this download page to find the construction lots. http://community.simtropolis.com/profile/206287-weasel945/?do=content&type=downloads_file&change_section=1

BVc09H.jpg

I believe weasel945 is the only batter in SC4 history to create an entire set of construction lots/bats. What a champ.

SHOBYb.jpg

MMPs spruce up the barren lots and brutal textures.

iFpBCG.jpg

SbckFd.jpg

BWSoCH.jpg

Wild horses roaming...

3zDc2A.jpg

Erinsberg's most famous landmark.

rXTxOm.jpg

7NCBvE.jpg

CeQa2T.jpg

A cloud inversion steadily creeps up the hills...

OiePCL.jpg

rXkGO4.jpg

WS59ar.jpg

LsAZhI.jpg

The view from the Hollywood sign is incredible.

yZIy2t.jpg

Absolutely incredible.

hl9xOF.jpg

So incredible even God thinks its incredible.

{---}

Next Tuesday is Victoria's Quarter, a more older part of Erinsberg.

Ln X

Anthlem

jMOfYd.jpg

Replies:

raynev1: Thanks a lot!

TekindusT: It's all about that fusion.

_Michael: Thanks!

Prophet42: Which is why it took three months completing Erinsberg- getting in all that variety.

tankmank: Cheers! Not only have I added more detail but I'm getting better with the consistency and adding fillers to expand lots.

sucram17: Thanks!

MissVanleider: Kellydale2003's BATs have always been suburb and make for great mid-rise fillers in commercial areas. As for the horizontal flipping, well you may as well ask the permission of a few dozen CJ greats who have used that technique, what I've done is nothing unique in that regard. So there's no need to ask for permission.

feyss: They sure are! It took a while but I found it on Capitol Simcity, I think it is a Spanish SC4 site. http://descargas.capitalsim.net/?sitio=csc&descarga=3689

Takingyouthere: Thanks a bunch! As for that building, see my reply to Feyss, I would also recommend exploring the BATs on offer in Capitol Simcity: http://descargas.capitalsim.net/?sitio=csc&cat=2. Some of them are just asking for a good relot!

Brucie: You're welcome!

tariely: I to felt FrankU's Dutch plazas would be out of place in a non-Dutch city, but they are surprisingly versatile. And yes you are right about those buildings you identified.

kschmidt: Thank you!

juliok92012: Cheers!

{---}

Update 148: Anthlem

A special thanks to noahclem and the SC4D admin for giving this MD OSITM! The next several entries, and also my last for SC4, are going to be something special- particularly the entry after this one which is my 150th.

Today is the area of Anthlem which marks the boundary between the urban and the rural in Erinsberg.

{---}

fDOdUE.jpg

jGvlLJ.jpg

wmjpxU.jpg

2S96kX.jpg

On the northern fringes of Erinsberg the suburbs get wider upon the hills.

S71Ko7.jpg

KYDrA9.jpg

SJ6eud.jpg

All the rural areas were originally covered with tree controller vegetation. I then decided upon the MMP oversaturation approach to make the areas truly rural.

6eE6Iy.jpg

4uOCKx.jpg

PYDbtf.jpg

The suburbs of Anthlem are literally north of Erinsberg's city centre.

CC8IVX.jpg

fCqs7W.jpg

ZsVNZU.jpg

hJYeOe.jpg

In general Anthlem is a very wealthy suburb akin to Sanariya Hills.

QG3YI1.jpg

wy0GiX.jpg

vtCEhC.jpg

GEIJFU.jpg

ijYEe8.jpg

Mattb325's POD apartments. Great mid-rise fillers and they come in large lots; 6x6. http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28670-pod-apartments/

kQrl1O.jpg

mUjnxd.jpg

This library, shaped like partially opened books, was relotted by Paeng and is quite the find- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28254-paengs-rtfm-repository/.

K5JQ2k.jpg

M5WXXo.jpg

jyE84B.jpg

HusImt.jpg

The houses on the slope are tourist homes. They can be found here- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=866.

GgnC0S.jpg

SDqOf0.jpg

Pw4F3L.jpg

The tourist homes offer a great view of the city centre and beyond.

aafwbe.jpg

i9FP0D.jpg

fAlUKC.jpg

lIDPOK.jpg

And now we approach the countryside and Flander's Hills.

WYmBRB.jpg

KqEXdg.jpg

This road leads to a very special landmark...

AeDN4L.jpg

IVPegA.jpg

The Fallingwater Residence.

yLAetx.jpg

8iKM4A.jpg

The actual BAT can be found here- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=252.

fkQ47t.jpg

fzLCvu.jpg

This area required a ridiculous amount of MMP infilling; even more than usual!

LoY4VO.jpg

2fXFwR.jpg

{---}

The 150th anniversary special will be posted this Friday.

Ln X

Delanio's Marketplace

gYxF8Y.jpg

Replies:

_Michael: It was tough but well worth it.

kschmidt: Thanks! The idea is with different saturations, contrast and brightness it all gives the appearance of different times of the day. Thanks a lot for your comment!

Brucie: This would be Aaron Graham's Aronic Place, one of the coolest NYBT apartments ever created-

raynev1: The Trixie Award for best image editing will most certainly go to Korver. I'm hoping for Trixies in industry, MMPs and city design. Anyway, thanks for the kind comment.

CT14: That is a Glenni BAT-

tariely: Thank you!

TekindusT: Oh yeah!

Takingyouthere: As I keep on saying there is a lot to show from Erinsberg. I just need to get my lazy ass to take the pictures of this city.

feyss: Make that three times a week.

{---}

Update 147: Delanio's Marketplace

Located immediately west of Erinsberg's city centre, this area is one of the most varied commercial areas I have ever created. It incorporates USA, UK, French, European, Japanese, Hong Kong and even South American buildings.

{---}

ACQKeq.jpg

0gfftV.jpg

The east side of Delanio's Marketplace has quite a few skyscrapers, but moving westwards and this changes to tower blocks and eventually rather large mid-rise buildings.

aqmW5H.jpg

Wqmc1w.jpg

r3WqeN.jpg

Parking, parking, parking... If it isn't large multi-story car parks then it will be underground car parks.

wAjwJp.jpg

The wide W2W grey building is one of Jasoncw's creations, 994 Vargas Avenue- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/31028-994-vargas-avenue/.

nHNJ5S.jpg

38Di8z.jpg

Bang in the centre is Mattb325's CBS Columbia Square Television Station- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30921-cbs-columbia-square-television-station/.

7HNBGg.jpg

The east side of Delanio's Marketplace is dominated by skyscrapers and tall office blocks.

oGW7dl.jpg

CWxst6.jpg

4190OF.jpg

With wider city blocks I added plazas, car parks and/or green areas to complete them.

y91J9t.jpg

H67gIP.jpg

U6oPUu.jpg

W2W NYBT works every time.

4l2jSg.jpg

The building with the diagonal front/promenade is one of Kellydale2003's creations- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29054-u-of-w-science-complex/.

60DqkX.jpg

u3rNgT.jpg

The tower block in the centre was published by sparkythepenguin, I recommend downloading all his files on the STEX because there are plenty of useful tower blocks and mid-rise buildings. Link here- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/19489-green-wyatt-us-federal-building/.

sBsgSh.jpg

CHdfpT.jpg

b2C511.jpg

In the centre right of the picture is Delanio's Marketplace itself. In the 19th century it was the hub of most trade and commerce in Erinsberg. Now it is overshadowed by the tower blocks and urban growth.

jp2JuV.jpg

kI9bRH.jpg

TeHEfW.jpg

QmRTXu.jpg

bRdVdI.jpg

Latour Park.

FTizIT.jpg

fRHUpP.jpg

HWnSQP.jpg

JplFjA.jpg

Some of xannepan's Paris buildings on display.

QR7hZS.jpg

N1bqSZ.jpg

0S6VpT.jpg

N9NEOy.jpg

St Paul's Cathedral.

BQ243J.jpg

Created by Reddonquixote- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3222

img

I added FrankU's Dutch plazas and parks to perfect this city block.

SQOMZd.jpg

GQbPDu.jpg

OpJ9hg.jpg

An overview of Delanio's Marketplace at night...

dFqUsH.jpg

And at day.

{---}

The next entry is Anthlem, a wealthy suburb just north of Erinsberg's city centre. The next entry after that is the 150th one and is something special.

Ln X

Vellum Drive

qDOTGz.jpg

Replies:

TekindusT: Better fillers that's what it is. That and I always try to find more lots, bats and MMPs to increase variety for each new city tile I work on.

Toothless Snitch: Yep.

_Michael: Thank you!

Hellken: Here is the link- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3352.

slickbg56: I needed to create the small town to break up the industrial area. There is also something very rustic about settlements built close to industrial complexes.

Abrams124: Thanks! I follow both of their youtube channels. Search for the member Fasan on SC4D, he is the real "freshpopcorn" of SC4.

raynev1: Cheers! Made my day that comment. :thumb:

kschmidt: I would ask Simmer2 about his use of catenaries in rail lots. Mirroring pictures adds extra perspective which I like. I put some work in making the small town by the large factory rather rustic. Also the power station has underground cables because the residents of Erinsberg didn't want unsightly power pylons cutting through the city. I recommend you look at pictures of power stations in Manhattan. Big power stations but no power pylons. As always, thanks for your comment.

tariely: In picture 10 this is Newman Inc Granaries- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1666. One of citynut's industrial creations. Those trucks are part of the lot containing the power station.

Akallan: Thanks a hell of a lot!

rathefalcon: It's all about good fillers. Trees and wasteland make for perfect industrial barriers.

Ducio: Thank you!

Simmer2: Cheers! That power plant and those railyards were literally the first thing I plopped in when I started on Erinsberg.

feyss: Thanks! It is all about space, I should know because I go past industry every week when going through Teesside.

kelistmac: Thank you very much!

Eggman121: It's a real game changer. I love the STR track switchover flextrack which goes through the DTR. The building you have in mind can be found here- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3360.

v701: :D

{---}

Entry 146: Vellum Drive

A rather wealthy area of Erinsberg, Vellum Drive is located immediately south of the west part of Downtown. Enjoy the greenery and a lot of W2W!

{---}

MXTo3d.jpg

Vellum Drive is in the centre, and in the right of, the picture.

ozzCo2.jpg

The west side contains the diagonal housing.

zDAfk8.jpg

Making use of Simcoug's R$$ diagonal housing.

wj6BL1.jpg

I wish there were more diagonal RCI buildings and diagonal corner RCI. Still, one can dream...

tW2wdz.jpg

CMQYnu.jpg

This bit of the city was hard to get right because the edges of these houses spawned onto the sides of the black roads.

vMOMbL.jpg

It took some patience and a lot of plopping but the end result was definitely worth it.

ATmny6.jpg

In the green area is the Monty Python Care Home for the Criminally Insane.

cX6XBM.jpg

Moving deeper into Vellum Drive...

y2geCj.jpg

The west half of the Vellum Drive is mainly filled in with shops and hotels.

2yxgO6.jpg

IhycHe.jpg

Making use of Mattb325's British W2W buildings. The W2W corner church is my favourite- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2762.

rZdrJO.jpg

gBLwYz.jpg

isutEQ.jpg

This part of Erinsberg is mainly pre 20th century.

BypJPQ.jpg

pkMHSI.jpg

y1g8m4.jpg

This FAR corner building is the only one I am aware of.

jxwgAD.jpg

JonM created this seven years ago, what a genius! http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/22205-jon-orthtofar-a/

IAonuA.jpg

5JsQBF.jpg

NOEdfK.jpg

Now we move on to the eastern half of Vellum Drive.

epuedn.jpg

zdEekK.jpg

ENE2Gx.jpg

Ui2v9N.jpg

Though the housing looks cheaper, the amount of greenery and the proximity to Downtown means a great markup in house prices and so attracts the middle classes; particularly those trying to find a foothold in the upscale areas of Erinsberg.

8ntFWM.jpg

qp56tQ.jpg

sFEcvM.jpg

The avenue marks the eastern boundary of Vellum Drive.

gIGsYF.jpg

John Whitehead Park.

7uCiDY.jpg

benno2005 created this very large park- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28795-park-20x10-would-make-a-good-city-park/.

fSkNKg.jpg

A foggy morning for Vellum Drive.

nBtF0K.jpg

The plazas in the centre are part of Simcoug's W2W R$$ neighbourhood set- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3267. VERY useful fillers!

VNvRaQ.jpg

kcCRiL.jpg

And an overview of the east side of Vellum Drive.

YFJ8rS.jpg

1y4C0f.jpg

qQUQpU.jpg

5jNx9u.jpg

One final overview.

{---}

This Friday- Delanio Marketplace.

Ln X

Bolsmarth Industrial Zone

ljAYTr.jpg

Replies:

_Michael: Cheers! About Imageshack, sometimes the pictures are blurry for up to thirty minutes and then afterwards they are properly buffered.

raynev1: Thank you very much.

metarvo: That's why I wanted to create the woodland industry, it was one of the things on my SC4 to-do list. Another primary industry on my to-do list would be an open cast coal mine. Sadly the PLEX shut down and the coal industry cheat sheet was lost.

BugeyedDragon: :thumb:

scotttbarry: Thank you!

Takingyouthere: Faverdale, the city tile shown at the start of this year, had plenty of extensive MMP work detailing the fields and rivers. I would say the amount of area to cover was roughly similar to Erinsberg, but with Erinsberg it was far more tricky and it had a higher density of MMPs.

Akallan: Thanks a lot!

kingofsimcity: Thank you!

Prophet42: That's what I kept telling myself during those several weeks, it was a real slog.

kschmidt: What is the pink square? Is it the Dutch plazas by any chance? I added the rural logging for some much needed variety. The forest, bush and grassland areas all had their particular MMP patterns to make each area coherent. Thanks for your comment!

tariely: This kind of village is rather typical in rural areas of England, particularly the Pennines. Now for pictures 15 and 28, those "rocks" are actually Berner Oberland terrain textures. I think they are the coolest looking textures in that terrain mod, though the cracked mud texture is very beautiful too.

Hellken: Thanks!

v701: :thumb:

{---}

Update 145: Bolsmarth Industrial Zone

And now here is another entry chock full of heavy industry and extensive railyards. The large brick industrial building with the three chimneys, the large railyards and the RRW sidings can all be found on the BSC LEX. Check out Simmer2's content, it is all found there.

{---}

DGdT5X.jpg

d2SOwP.jpg

SXmJoW.jpg

CeDTcc.jpg

3fZVZc.jpg

KNq2bt.jpg

QSIkxo.jpg

fwVlHI.jpg

RMOqmy.jpg

9biyWB.jpg

ezTUdv.jpg

FiHCEz.jpg

YawVMx.jpg

Yzi8fS.jpg

ortWrb.jpg

8O6YPn.jpg

ZHJ2Au.jpg

TUItS1.jpg

rXO4DY.jpg

5EP5UE.jpg

wlz0IH.jpg

uBg2vD.jpg

Duxp6D.jpg

382Bys.jpg

FzabQv.jpg

s4NqTm.jpg

LUvkPy.jpg

AnfkvT.jpg

w4wOdC.jpg

fKk5mj.jpg

ngp620.jpg

58L89Z.jpg

nbWDEc.jpg

xOW9dd.jpg

NDEVzr.jpg

6tqeyC.jpg

{---}

I would like to say that Bolsmarth Industrial Zone could not have been possible without Simmer2's incredible lotting. So thanks a bunch for what you have done for the community.

Here's a link to the massive factory:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3360
Ln X

1gk91c.jpg

Replies:

kingofsimcity: Thanks a lot!

_Michael: Cheers!

feyss: I needed something to break up the area, so an MMP caravan site it was.

kschmidt: Thank you! NDEX and Chicago team have made the bulk of the skyscrapers SC4 players use. FrankU's parks and plazas are very versatile, I think it works pretty much anywhere.

icantthinkofaname: Links are here: Reddonquixote's Collins Place and http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1339

Wallibuk: Thank you!

Heermonius: That was my intention with Erinsberg's city centre. Thanks for your comment.

tariely: Even with the NAM traffic controller cranked up to maximum traffic I still couldn't get the traffic jams. Having said that if there were actual traffic jams then many of the buildings would become abandoned. Anyway linkies: angled building is- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1766 and curved W2W building is-

Hafiz173: The answer is a lot of plopped buildings and "make historical" RCI buildings.

TekindusT: You know what? That just about describes what has happened. To be fair this is often seen in Britain, so it is something which I wish to emulate in SC4.

Takingyouthere: It's the city centre, not downtown. Anyway, thanks for your comment!

{---}

Update 144: Stalag's Range and Helga's Pass

Last entry was intensely urban. This entry is intensely rural.

{---}

BtsP8u.jpg

To the left is Stalag's Range with the lumber operation. To the right is Helga's Pass.

hsS3pi.jpg

I used the Cascadia Tree Controller for the flora. Then I infilled the gaps with MMPs to give a thick lush feel.

9Ohhdt.jpg

YVuGyi.jpg

One third of the map was woodland and wilderness. This took several weeks to complete with thick MMP saturation.

f2dH3t.jpg

I decided to build a minimalist lumber operation. The forests are part of a national park and logging is done with a staggered approach.

ardTsY.jpg

Different flora types have particular MMP schemes.

ctjs6d.jpg

For instance deciduous woodland is covered with grass. Coniferous woodland is covered with bushes inbetween.

mv70oR.jpg

The narcissus MMP also serves as a good substitute for oxeye daisies in grass areas and ramson in forested areas. And here is ramson in an actual woodland area. I'm not kidding about the thick flower density- http://www.explorewestsweden.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Munk%C3%A4ngarna-5724-730x486.jpg

BvnGuZ.jpg

Uw2dcJ.jpg

Mist in the forest.

FxiMk3.jpg

M2Zeyf.jpg

RS2FFR.jpg

I used footpaths to divide the areas up.

oOs15L.jpg

It helped with the MMP infilling. Otherwise it would have been endless the amount of MMP work to be done.

bby8t6.jpg

I added in open areas, in particular grazing areas, simply to cut down on the MMP work.

FHCTyV.jpg

A mosaic of Helga's Pass.

eyVw7U.jpg

On top of that I made sure there were enough MMP Sims on the paths.

W02It9.jpg

yrMt22.jpg

A Gypsy camp.

n1KeWg.jpg

The Gypsy camp is on the southern slopes of Helga's Pass.

4qipvX.jpg

NwO27g.jpg

The northern side of Helga's Pass is one long, prominent slope.

LKdTB8.jpg

Stone walls- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2074.

5hn0JK.jpg

The grassland is predominantly using Chrisadam3997's pasture MMPs- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1886.

GjRLMe.jpg

The additional flowers, bushes and trees all come from girafe- for newcomers download everything this guy has published on the LEX.

aVbt1C.jpg

QKDPwE.jpg

MMP oversaturation done right should look like a Van Gogh painting or something...

pcgjna.jpg

But it's also important to let the terrain show too.

E05FtN.jpg

The village of Skeeby.

bbICP5.jpg

Bipin's Hamilton Houses- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/31099-bipins-hamilton-two-storey-house/.

Qj5GHm.jpg

Use the LotPlop cheat to place them down.

M1GqMQ.jpg

One last overview...

obspKM.jpg

And one last mosaic...

{---}

The next entry will be something rather industrial.

Ln X

The City Centre of Erinsberg

EVCvlo.jpg

Replies:

_Micheal: Thank you!

raynev1: Cheers!

DavidDHetzel: No it's not TEed I'm afraid. Of course using the Lot Editor could fix that...

feyss: That's the only texture the FA road comes with. So I had to create spacey industrial areas.

TekindusT: I think the issue is the larger clouds. The smaller clouds do look better in my opinion. However, I will give the JENX Jupiter mod a spin to see what happens! Also you are 3 years older than me!

kschmidt: I used fillers of similar texture to merge FA road with FA building. Try also FrankU's Dutch Plazas, they fit in any city purely because of the visual variety. I never thought red pavement would fit giving I use one of Gobias' sidewalk mods. Boy I was wrong!

tariely: Thank you very much! I'm not sure what is going on with your Mac. Check the firewall settings perhaps?

vinlabsc3k: I won't give you the link but on the STEX look for FrankU's modular warehouses and T Wrecks Industrial Revolution Mod and its filler sets. Google search is quickest because the STEX search function is utterly abysmal.

CdMadero: :thumb:

Akallan: They are definitely cool, I like putting them side-to-side to give the illusion of six track or eight track railway. Now, I only wish there were A LOT more diagonal and FA buildings because this must be the future direction of SC4.

dlsni: That's because when I started building Erinsberg there was a flurry of new industrial and railway content on the LEX. New content always inspires me to build new areas. I also agree with the too-dark-nights observation, there was a bit too much contrast and dimness in that last entry. Also Korver won SC4 in every single way possible.

metarvo: These "modular industrial mega-lots" have a different feel because I have at least seven different parking styles and many different buildings to choose from. Thanks for your comment!

Mańkowsky: Believe it or not I have never used the UDI mode in Erinsberg. I need to rectify that...

{---}

Entry 144: Erinsberg's City Centre

In the heart of every SC4 player is the desire to build skyscrapers, everyone went through that phase. So here is my last city centre styled around Los Angeles. First of all a soundtrack to get in the mood.

{---}

T1RFaq.jpg

P9F8OT.jpg

4PNcbD.jpg

UXaoGc.jpg

C6oXHB.jpg

rusSac.jpg

p20Q4P.jpg

O9AEO8.jpg

9tsf8h.jpg

tg34ta.jpg

mmp2Dg.jpg

3aYMLS.jpg

HA8IkV.jpg

zt2biz.jpg

6TmdIi.jpg

Hmaal2.jpg

O3Gjkl.jpg

yaMjIo.jpg

aBkoAC.jpg

Y4KrrI.jpg

YqcbWf.jpg

1O7FMv.jpg

i9woTf.jpg

i9woTf.jpg

cCtESg.jpg

jOLuEW.jpg

6uumxT.jpg

3EWMIt.jpg

k487he.jpg

3Rl1Fw.jpg

0wxUjw.jpg

LMDU0Y.jpg

ZQQ9ly.jpg

O1rm02.jpg

8fg76E.jpg

sSKNyp.jpg

mYMkyS.jpg

n7yoEd.jpg

rHKltH.jpg

nzgkg4.jpg

4Y4vHp.jpg

{---}

If you wondering why these entries take so long to post, well most of my spare time is spent story-writing, or listening to music. So it takes about 90 minutes taking the pictures because the game crashes and I need to restrict the available RAM on my computer. Image editing takes at least another 90 minutes. Posting on both SC4D and Simtropolis takes at least an hour.

Now then, for the next entry it will be something more...

Natural.

Ln X

Cromney + FA Industry

0esxco.jpg

Replies:

raynev1: Indeed they are. I have further ideas for creating clouds in GIMP and I found a way of creating any cloud I want to complete with reasonably realistic lighting and shadows.

korver: I think subconsciously your CJ entries may have pushed me into experimenting with GIMP.

tariely: I associate in SC4 more trees with higher wealth housing. Which is why Sanariya Hills has some of the most lush suburbs in all of Erinsberg.

kschmidt: Those are FrankU's Dutch plazas, they make for excellent commercial fillers. I'm going to continue including weather to add further variety to the pictures. The park, in pic 3 of the Downtown part 2 entry, is a combination of lots from FrankU's Dutch Parks. Thank you!

_Michael: I am tweaking night-time pictures and adding weather pictures to increase the variety in future entries.

Takingyouthere: I've now worked out how to create proper clouds complete with shadows and reasonable lighting.

Akallan: That's FrankU's plazas in action! They are superb fillers.

{---}

Entry 65: Cromney

Today you are in for a treat: FA industry and some more cloud scenery.

{---}

QlQ65G.jpg

lLY3Kl.jpg

dD6Jbl.jpg

OJTqhn.jpg

Simmer2's railside slidings- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3332.

JAJxLK.jpg

g13DHk.jpg

ykakbt.jpg

wO8XHW.jpg

rEXyU9.jpg

The VW Automobile Factory, only the largest industrial BAT ever! http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2578

zdZzbe.jpg

S0GoWx.jpg

yswExE.jpg

dhljTZ.jpg

XpL4m8.jpg

Bn5VSG.jpg

HyHSlw.jpg

One thing about industrial areas is that there are often wide grassy areas between buildings and site complexes.

6N5Kd8.jpg

7S3uOZ.jpg

wsTliD.jpg

High traffic volumes and still days means lots of smog.

PoQfDB.jpg

And now the good stuff!

vk7iCy.jpg

Scour the LEX for C.P.'s FA industry.

A0LBvL.jpg

Here is one link for the biggest FA factory- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3298.

cfr7cl.jpg

UX5WbP.jpg

BoXSvk.jpg

1A7OTA.jpg

HZMDaZ.jpg

L6K5FX.jpg

FrankU's warehouse pack, a must have for industrial area fillers- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/22968-modular-warehouse-pack/.

1abepP.jpg

VCTmDI.jpg

This is my third picture were I painted in clouds. Man's got to experiment.

{---}

The next stop of this tour is the city centre. I have an even bolder idea for a cloud picture- a cloud inversion. Just wait and see!