• Moose

Schieffelin County

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The City of Schieffelin was started in a smaller city and never produced much of any growth. After the city disappeared from the maps, a renewed effort has started to form a new city and develop the region surrounding it.

Schieffelin's City Journal will feature articles once per week, and each issue is based on one year of Schieffelin's growth. There should be a few special issues to showcase the city as well.

Entries in this City Journal

joe064

New Residents and New Jobs

Now that I have started to build up the shoreline and how my city may be shaped, I need to start thinking about moving more Sims in and build more jobs into the area. So I have switched tactics to build industrial jobs into the area, and I've extended the size of the agricultural zones toward the center of the city. I have zoned an area so that some dirty industrial jobs may be created. In this picture, it's just before 8 o'clock while construction is just being finished in the new industrial park.

5632a551759ff_Schieffelin-Feb._9_0114461

Now that I have built a path for my citizen's to travel between their work and their homes, I have found that the traffic congestion has increased dangerously. About sixty cars pass on the road according to the data view. Soon I will need to start thinking about upgrading the street.

5632a7833c8d7_Schieffelin-Sep._1_0114461

Construction is finishing up on the newly founded Beach Street and Spring Street. Because of the new industry that has been zoned, new sims are flocking to grab the jobs while they can. Now that I am passing a new threshold, I will also need to start thinking about safety. I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing red.56331c07b26d8_Schieffelin-Sep._28_011446

I have upgraded the street to a road and built a business area for retail shops near the intersection to see if customer traffic makes up for the 90 cars that pass through the road at any given time. I also have seen a cliff appear in the upper left hand corner of this picture after paving the new road. I wish to see that cliff disappear over time.

56331c8af03b7_Schieffelin-Dec._2_0114461

End of Year 01

Funds

$72,977

Residential Population

Commercial Jobs

Industrial Jobs

---

Volume 1, Issue 4

joe064

The City's Founding

562c32ef360ba_Schieffelin-Mar._9_0014456

I have started off with pristine landscape, as cities aren't built overnight. I have chosen to build the county's seat of Schieffelin in the center of the city with a river joining the trading town to the farming community. With a cloud in the sky, I zoom in closer to build my first street.

I have built the first city block with one business in order to start it small. I understand that even when starting small I still have the possibility of failure, but's the data that I gather about my city will help keep traffic moving so that I may be able be able to accommodate a larger highway shift the town's residents to a larger density and even allow for larger zones.

Schieffelin-Jul. 18, 001445719954.png

This first block has only a windmill and a small business. But to the other half of the image shows that the farmland that is being built will help till some of the land to prepare for its future.

562c33ee5fed2_Schieffelin-Jan._1_0114457

In the end, I have two residential neighborhoods with 160 residents. Starting small may seem boring at first, but if the zones are built at a proper pace, then the city will become more populated with a better aesthetic appeal.

---

End of Year 00

Funds:

$85,258

Resident Population

Commercial Jobs

Industry Jobs

---

Volume 1, Issue 3

joe064

Region Ready

I've finished terraforming the region that I have drafted from scrap graph paper and I must admit: I'm not overly impressed. Yes, it's my region that I created, but it's as if it were too small. I knew it would be smaller than I imagined, but I guess that I haven't fully thought about it.

Well. I will deal with it nonetheless. Here's my fully rendered region.

Schieffelin_County-1445556995.thumb.png.

I've rounded the mountains, and I have softened the coasts. The cape in the center could be quite an amazing property view. I haven't fully decided on what to do.

Schieffelin_County-1445557214.thumb.png.

To the west, the region will feature a mountainous farming and trading town. In the bay's inlet, large trading ports will be used to ship goods out.

Schieffelin_County-1445557465.thumb.png.

To the East, the larger metropolis should be developed. Complete with farming in mind, the shores will host to some of the more affluent homes on the water.

The region has 4 large, 5 medium, and 3 small usable cities. Most of the cities will be built close to the water and could all link together.

---

Volume 1, Issue 2

joe064

Drafting Plans

In the beginning, when I created Schieffelin County, I wanted to build something that similar to New York or San Francisco. I didn't like the idea of carving water from land, so I decided that land should arise from the waters below. So on a new slate, I drew plans for a vast bay filled with rivers leading to the mountains where the water is sourced.

This city journal will be based off of the entire region, and multiple cities will be involved. This why I have entitled my design as Schieffelin County Life, as if it were a regional magazine.

I drew my plans on a piece of graph paper to a certain scale. I've uploaded a scan of it below.

2015-10-15_Initial_Plan.thumb.jpg.86d10d

In the picture, I've created mountains the Northwest and Northeast, with three rivers flowing between four peninsulas of land. The lower half of the region will be called Schieffelin Bay. I haven't decided on

other names yet, but I'm open to some suggestions.

I haven't made any plans to decide how large I want each city to be. The boundaries between mountains, rough plains, and rivers are all not yet set in stone. I do know that in the past, I couldn't change the city sizes in the terraformer after saving it.

---

Volume 1, Issue 1