• Moose

The Empire of Joshua

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

This is my new Cj based on my fantasy nation ive made in my namesake that ive imagined since i was a small child. Its based in a book format with pictures written by me in my sunset years in...

Entries in this City Journal

Jman47

Replies-

Piotr- Thank you! I have alot more custom content then youve seen so far, but the city will have to grow some to make it available. As for the griddy planning it wont last too far outside the urbanized parts of the region, my plan is to have the major population centers be more gridlike with the suburbs and farmland being more winding. Joshua City is going to be the region's major population and business center, so its going to be griddy but it will be less noticeable as the city grows upward. Also i would love for you to link the SAM smooth curves, it will definitly come in handy especially as the suburbs in surrounding tiles start to develop.

Jacky- Thank you 4.gif

(Disclaimer- the Atheists depicted in this chapter and henceforth in all chapters have nothing to do with real life Atheists, and any coincidences of names or organizations are purely accidental and coincedental. The writer of this CJ has no personal problems with atheists and is simply using the idea as an interesting plot point in this CJ, not for slander or personal attacks.)

Chapter 5- Industrial Welton (March-May 2016)

Just as the first big boom was starting to subside, it was clear that there still werent enough jobs or homes within The city limits to satisfy the growing populace. While the first big boom heralded in thousands of poorer immigrants, there werent enough wealthy ones to buy farmland to start new crops, and an alternative source of work was clearly needed. This source of work came in a man from England by the name of Gerard Remington Smithers, IV. Growing up from a wealthy family of minor nobility from Liverpool, he and his family had a large stake in english industrial development, going all the way back to the days of the Industrial Revolution in Britian. However at the onset of 2016 another revolution had taken hold in England- a revolution of Radicalist Atheists known as the Antideist Coalition, who sought to purge the world of religon at any terrible cost. While the Atheist revolutions and their effect on the Empire's future and immigration statistics will be discussed in a later chapter, it can be sufficed to say that Gerard- a loyal member of the Church of England, was fleeing his country from certain persecution and possible death.

He had come to the Empire looking for a fresh start and religous freedom, which he duly recieved. He also would obtain much wealth and influence in the Empire, as He was the man who kick started Joshuain heavy industry, beginning with a small town west of the Joshua City Limits, that would be incorporated under the name Welton. The following are several pictures of early Welton, which contains a mix of heavy industry, a small residential settlement, and some farmland as well. The town would also host several coal plants and garbage facilities that would support Joshua City as it grew.

Welton-Aug28161242269185.png

Welton-Aug31161242269206.png

Welton-Sep2161242269225.png

Welton-Sep30161242269331.png

Welton-Sep12161242269278.png

Welton-Sep4161242269244.png

The Farms seen in the City are not a result of multiple wealthy famlilies but the product of Gerard's Wealthy younger brother Stanley buying the land and Franchising it for agriculure in the Welton city limits in order to have a joint mayorship with his brother. While Gerard handled the zoning and Industry part of town, Stanley would work on the residential and Agricultural development, which was arguably a harder job due to the inherent pollution of the major industries. The last picture of this chapter is an overview of both cities together as well as the immediate surrounding landscape Likely to be developed as the cities expanded outward.

JoshuaCityCounty-1242269635.png

Until the next chapter, stay tuned and be well-

Chancellor Joshua Kenneth Eshe I, Esq.

Jman47

Replies-

Jacky- thank you once again for your kind compliments 4.gif

Everyone else- dont be afraid to post your thoughts! comments, critizism, and encouragement are always welcome!

Chapter 4- The first big boom. (January- March 2016)

The first Big Boom- Which is roughly placed as being the period of early 2016, Was

the first major population boom in Joshua City. The event also pertains to other new cities that experienced a rapid population surge, however the effects of this big boom on other cities will be emphasized in their own respective books. This chapter will solely focus on the Period of the first big boom in Joshua City, and lead into chapter 5 which will cover the effects of this period of rapid growth. The two most notable changes in the first big boom in Joshua City were the size of the cities land coverage and the doubling of the population figures to just under 20,000. These following pictures will show the new districts that were zoned in Joshua City, as well as the newest countryside developed.

JoshuaCity-Feb8231242113385.png

JoshuaCity-Feb15231242113415.png

JoshuaCity-Feb21231242113464.png

JoshuaCity-Feb18231242113445.png

Due to the population boom, The administration of the city needed a truly official building, and hence a city hall was built near the intersection of Mainstreet and James.

JoshuaCity-Mar2231242113504.png

Other developments within the Empire were taking place as well in the city. Myself and several media officials had since the founding of the empire made plans for a national news media to be administered through the radio. These plans came to fruition in early february, when the first radio building was developed. Besides national and global news, the station also has a studio for music stations.

JoshuaCity-Mar7231242113545.png

The City had grown to twice the population and another third in size in only three months, however it was clear that demands for more employment options besides agriculture and retail were rising, and the Empire itself needed to begin setting the ground for a manufacturing and heavy industry base. Chapter 5 will deal with the beginnings of this base, which was established outside the Joshua City limits to the west. This last picture is an overview of Joshua city at March 2016.

JoshuaCity-Mar25231242113650.png

Until the next chapter-

Jman47

Replies

Jacky- Thank you 4.gif more farmland in this update as well!

Chapter 3- Agricultural Development

Even as the financial hierarchy was clearly being established in the city, more immigrants came pouring in by train, as wealthier investors began to seek prospects in my new Empire arriving by automobile. It was clear that more space needed to be developed for the growing Agricultural sector, and some private enterprises were taking interest in being part of it. The Plot of land mentioned last chapter in the northwest part of the city would be the first target for expansion, this chapter will touch on the process used in reserving and utilizing land for agriculture that would become a staple of all cities within the Empire. The process was broken down into three steps, listed here.

Step one-

JoshuaCity-Jun8121242011539.png

The first step involved the deforestation, zoning, and road placement of the parcel of land in question. Step one would go on to include the boundaries of unicorporated land to be incorporated, but that was irrelavent in this case due to the land being surrounded by either used land or the city limits. The deforestation is usually handled by the logging and construction industry, while my goverment took care of zoning boundaries and road placement.

Step 2-

JoshuaCity-Jun8121242011683.png

Step two involved the replanting of either saplings or fully grown trees to mark property lines not designated by roads, as well as for wind protection and enviromental awareness. The Joshuain department of The enviroment handled the dirty work this crucial step, with the Beaureau of Agrimanagment dealing with most of the acquired costs.

Step 3-

JoshuaCity-Jun2141242012190.png

Step three consisted of the actual buyout and development of the zoned land in the area, with most farms at this time being owned by wealthy families that provided jobs for unskilled labor to fill. As the country developed the Agricultural industry slowly moved more towards companies owning the land but franchising the farms to families much like businesses, and some farms would even move to full company management with no franchisers, in the present day all three forms of farms are present in the nation, with farm companies taking large regions over the 1 million population mark, franchised farms having dominion over regions with populations of 200,000 to 1 million, anf family farms having claim over regions less than 200,000 people strong. this balance is enforced by a law enacted in 2026 in order to keep all parties in businees as they are all useful to the Agricultural Industry. The third step is handled solely by the Beaureau of Agrimanagment, which obtains its funding for step two from the proceeds of step three.

The following Picture is of the first franchised farm in Joshua city, in which you can see both the franchising family's dwelling as well as the company funded processing units.

JoshuaCity-Jun16141242012324.png

This next picture is simply of more countryside seen in the newly developed land.

JoshuaCity-Jun10141242012291.png

This next picture is of the first center building for the Beaureau of Agrimanagment- this building would become a uniform standard in all cities with a significant agricultural population, and in 2025 a central building would be built in the capitol, a city which will be discussed in another book in the future.

JoshuaCity-Sep6151242014227.png

This last picture is a prelude to Chapter four, which will talk about the first 'big boom' in Joshua City, a period of large growth to the city and the surrounding countryside. The building in the center is the first public library in Joshua City, established November 5, 2015 on the cusp of the first big boom. its was primarily constructed to make room in the education building for more classes, a sign that the city was truly growing around the waist.

JoshuaCity-Jul17151242013755.png

Until the next chapter is released, stay well my fellow Joshuain history buffs.

Jman47

Replies-

Ironicepitome- Thank you!

Archean- The griddiness of the main city is mentioned here in chapter 2, so be sure to read along 4.gif

Chapter 2- Life in early Joshua City. (2015-2020)

While chapter one mainly dealt with the immigration and surrounding farmland in the early city, chapter two will focus more on the city area itself, starting with the less than distinctive planning. I always envision the future when i envision my cities, therefore i made the main part of the city conform to a grid like pattern, banking on one day this being the central urban area of the city, which would pay off in dividents as i expected when the city grew. The two main roads in the town at this time are Mainstreet Blvd, which was mentioned in chapter one and connects to Highway 47, and James Avenue, which is perpendicular to Mainstreet Blvd and roughly disects the city between north and south, much like Mainstreet Blvd disects it west and east. Both roads are lined with businesses and small offices, which did quite well thanks to being on the cities major roads. Here is a picture of the Mainstreet/James intesection, basically the center of the city at that time.

JoshuaCity-Jun8121241997338.png

In this picture you can also see two other significant developments- The towns first elementary school, which at this time also hosted the rest of the cities education needs, including a high school, library, and nightime trade and college courses, as well as the first international company to make camp in my new country- franchising it to a local family that ran it quite efficiently.

JoshuaCity-Jun8121241997983.png

The town at this time was small, but a system of wealth levels soon began to develop as some families had the work ethic and talent to superseed others. The wealthiest of the wealthy in the town usually made their riches in the business industry, contrary to the wealthy that lived on and operated the farmlands,

JoshuaCity-Jun8121241997414.png

The more middle class citizens usually worked as employees in the shops and businesses, earning a modest income but enough to enjoy life away from the busy and noisy city center, living near the outskirts of the town and particularily enjoying the forests and wildlife.

JoshuaCity-Jun8121241997547.png

Finally the lowest class were mostly made up of unskilled laborers who were employees of the farmlands, working the countryside, as well as maids, street cleaners, and those in the construction agency. These people still lived much more comfortably than the poor in most of the world, with single family homes that were small and near the city center, but still much better than hovels and huts they left behind in their old countries. Also noted is that all children recieve a free education, so there is hope for the future of these families to be better.

JoshuaCity-Jun8121241997464.png

Finally the last point I will touch on breifly is that of religon. The first religous building in Joshua City was a Lutheran church, which was instituded on my behalf as i myself am a Lutheran. Although all religons are tolerated in the empire and hopefully always will be, the only religon to gain tax exemption benefits is Lutheranism, in my hope to spread my faith in a non oppressive way. Religons within the City will be covered in a later chapter, as well as pictures of many different religous institutions.

JoshuaCity-Jun8121241998220.png

The final Picture i leave you with in this chapter is of the area of the first agricultural expansion, which will be covered in chapter 3.

JoshuaCity-Jun8121241998379.png

Until The next chapter is released, God bless to all readers of this book.

Jman47

Replies-

Jacky- Thank you! im glad you like my writing style!

Chapter 1- The Beginnings of Joshua city (2015-2020)

As stated in the prologue, the beginnings of my namesake city were militarily minded, but immigration caused a population boom after the war. Both the nations of Russia and China had aided me with military weapons and soldiers during my conquests, and many of these soldiers would take home in my new country bringing their families with them. Natives of india also had aided my army, and many came to settle with their famlilies as well. After the initial setup of the nation was complete, the first peice of legislation i passed was the Immigration Decree of 2015- setting up a deparment that would provide a startup package of both land and a job, as well as cover travel costs, to get people moving into the country. Most of the money put into this was from the huge reserves i had stockpiled during the war from the capture of major financial institutions, especially in the US, as well as Switzerland.

Many new immigrants came from Africa as well, fleeing the instability and squalor of their home countries. An interesting development would occur over the years in not only Joshua City but also other new cities as the languages of the various africans, indians, chinese, and russians, would blend together completely of itself into a new language now known as "Joshuain". Although english is the official state language, Joshuain has grown in use to the point where most major national functions are conducted in it, with english only really being used by myself and any dealing with the global community.

Wealthier people came to Joshua City as well, seeking business, profit, and fortune. Many of these people would try their luck in the agricultural industry, which was the staple of Joshua City's economy for the early days of its development. My goal was to plan a countryside that was not only bountiful, but pleasing to the eye as well. I leave you the reader to decide whether it is truly appeasing to the eye.

JoshuaCity-May14121241928263.png

JoshuaCity-May17121241928282.png

JoshuaCity-May4121241928211.png

JoshuaCity-May9121241928233.png

JoshuaCity-Apr29121241928174.png

As you can see an intricate series of country roads was established, as well as strategic zoning and room for trees to mark property lines and serve as sheilds for the crops. A variety of different crops were grown, most of them on a small scale however at this point in time. The farms were private industries that were mostly family operated, and staffed by the workers based in the city. The main entrance to the city was along the newly built ribbon of asphalt known as Highway 47, with it's exit onto Mainstreet Boulevard, the town's primary road. Agriculture lines the highway, and the beginnings of a rail network are founded as well, serving to bring in people by train and also export the goods of the farms, considering this was before an airport was constructed.

JoshuaCity-May25121241928321.png

You can also see in this picture the wind power plants that were the first source of energy for the city. Another energy source would be established outside the city limits at a later time, but this is for another chapter.

The final image i leave you with is an arial view of the entire city as of July 27th, 2015. written upon it are the first plans for agricultural and residential expansion. Chapter 3 will cover the details of this first expansive phase, but for now chapter 2 will deal with life in the initial city itself.

JoshuaCity-Jun5121241928416.png

Until chapter 2 is released, stay tuned for more.

Jman47

Prologue

So here i am again with a new CJ, Well actually its an old concept of mine in a new CJ- to prevent thread necroing the old ones. The old ones were not to my liking however, and since my last attempt ive restarted all the cities on my first region at least 10 times- to figure out what i wanted and didnt want. during this time i also poured through the omnibus, as well as checked out a few of the HoF Cjs to get an idea of what i liked and didnt like. its not that im a perfectionist, but simply my last two attempts on starting a CJ on my beloved Fantasy Empire went horribly wrong in my opinion, there were several reasons for both that i felt they were turning out ugly, but the common theme was i lacked patience and built to fast in a rushed matter, creating cookie cutter SC4 cities which even the amount of custom content i was using could not redeem in my eyes. So here I am Starting again- A little wiser and much more experienced, ready to take my third and hopefully final attempt at recreating my Empire- starting from the beginnings of its first city to its leading position of beauty, power, and living standards, ive always invisioned it to be.

A few rules i will go by and NEVER break-

1. I must stay within the games limits- no cheating. including going back to god mode after starting a city- once its incorporated i can only terraform with the city mode terraforming- no matter how drastic the required changes to the landscape may be.

2. Mods are allowed, I am currently using both NAM and CAM, as well as a slew of custom content that would take way to long to give everybody credit for- therefore my official credit goes to the whole SC4 custom content creator Community.

3. No gamey tricks or lots- like money lots, pollution ending lots, garbage dissipaters, or neighbor deal exploits.

4. EVERY incorporated city will be done so on hard mode- i have the skill to play that level, and i will not make something easy just to make it look good. every scene of beuty and realism you may see will be done with no handicaps.

5. Have Fun- DUH!

Now that the business end is over with, i present you with the premeire-

Prologue      

To make a long story short- on the 11 of May, 2015, i conquered the free world and only demanded one thing- my own country. Thus it was incorporated on that day, which was also my 26th birthday. The story of my conquests is for another book, another time, this series of books, which i write in my advancing age, is about the stories of the cities i made for my country, some built in places you would never think for a city to be built, Others built on top of old Cities that existed before my conquests, others built in ideal locations never yet taken. All have Thrived. The location of my country is in the former territories of Canada, sans the lower area of the Quebec and Ontario territoties, as well as Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, which are still canadian but nothing more than a buffer zone between my empire and the USA, which is humiliated by my defeat of them and their second fiddle status, as well as angered by my Empires very existance for the last 84 years, Guess how old that make me currently? Yes, very old indeed.

This First Book will be written about the beginnings of the first of my created metropolises. In my namesake and currently the Largest city of all and of any on the planet, it is a work of art that I myself currently habitate, as my Son now rules from the Capitol. The City was founded by me as a military installation for secret research during my conquests, but we will pick up after my total victory, when the military facilities were abandoned on the hopes of creating civilian development, from the many immigrants i openly welcomed to my new Empire. These hopes were soon realized in multitudes beyond what i could have dreamed, in a population surge from migration that is unprecedented in the scope of history.

I end this prologue with a picture of the town only 2 months after the war, with hopes you will continue on to Chapter one.

JoshuaCity-Apr21121241928099.png

May the Lord be with you Always,

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0