• Moose
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

If you thought your city had it hard, you cant even imagine how hard it is to grow a city in the land known as Devil's Valley. And It will face harder and sometimes better times as War and...

Entries in this City Journal

IrvingTwoSmokes

“STOP THE MURDER! STOP THE MURDER!”

The angry chant of the crowd in OpportunityPark was enough to shake the earth beneath them. The crowd was sick of everything. They were sick of the deforestation of the hardy, treasured DevilsValley ecosystem. One by one, the trees were coming down, being sold for a massive profit. They were sick of the Pineforest Logging Company doing this. Huge blocks of trees were falling, and being shipped to build the great buildings of the nation. The year was 1964, and was the end of the Great Slope of 1945, a long, prosperous period of economic growth. 

gdpgraph.jpg

Various things such as raised taxes, and piling debt caused the end. They said it proved the rampant industrialism of Penguennia did not work.

opportunityparkprotests.jpg

c4bombings1967.jpg

In 1967, the anger reached a climax when a portion of the ForestvilleIndustrial Park was blown up with C4. The nation mourned the loss of 234 people. 1,254 people were also injured. Now on to happier things!

penguenniainsurancecomp.jpg

After a long, ponderous meeting, looking at graphs, spreadsheets, and maps, the Board of Directors for the Penguennia Insurance Corporation decided to move their headquarters to Forestville.

tenwingfinancial.jpg

The Asian inspired TenWing Financial building, at night. The building was the winner of the 1965 Architectural Award, which awarded the most interesting building in all of Penguennia.

nuclearpowerplantbuilt1.jpg

The Forestville Nuclear Power Plant, built 1964-1968, provided 65% of the area’s power supply.

ltuarena.jpg

In 1965, Forestville won the bid for a new National Football League team, to be named the Forestville Chainsaws. The whole town loved the new stadium, and affectionately named it the Box. The LTU Aviation Arena, the real name, was completed in late 1968.

asmallfarmingvillage.jpg

Because the Pineforest Logging Company sold some of their property, large food companies moved in and developed farms, while other local companies moved in as well. Because some of these farms were not controlled by one family, the workers settled in small villages, normally at intersections like these.

farmsontheoutskirtsofto.jpg

Right along the long ridge that lay to the northeast of Forestville were the large farms on the outskirts of town. Beyond the ridge was property owned by the Pineforest Logging Company. There have been talks that, due to outside pressures, they will discontinue their clear-cutting soon.

constructionbeginsonmal.jpg

In 1969, construction began on Forestville’s first mall. Many strip malls have been constructed, but not ever a mall. The mall was to cost $1.2 million, and built by ValleyGroup Real Estate, a big player in the area. The locals were very excited!

regionalview.jpg

Finally, the regional view, October 7th, 1969. In this picture it is a beautiful sunset over DevilsValley. NOTE: This regional view is incomplete. I have not been giving much thought to improving the region as a whole. I will be working as much as I can to improve the region, while working on Forestville too.

Next Entry: 1970-1975- Chinatown, Downtown, and Out of Town Changes

Sneak Preview:

teaserfornextentry.jpg

Please Rate and Comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to know if I have continued with my 4/5 or above quality entries!

-IrvingTwoSmokes44.gif

IrvingTwoSmokes

Hello fellow simtropians,

The CJ that I have been updating lately, Bahravia, is getting boring. It is also not meeting up to my high standards of 4 stars or above. I have decided to continue with my Forestville CJ, which I have had fun with, and the one you all seemed to enjoy. Plus, I got a bunch of new skyscrapers I downloaded from this one other website that I want to show off in my city, and I just like making a big city versus a small city. 

-Irvingtwosmokes 9.gif

UPDATE: The next entry will actually come on Tuesday. I looked over my planned entry, and I think I need some farm pics. If I still don't like it, I will prolong it to Wednesday.

IrvingTwoSmokes

Welcome back. In the last entry, the economic boom following the Great War started, but that little segment was only the tip of the iceberg. The next pictures were taken between 1959 and 1962, when blossoming corporations built their headquarters in the lowest tax bracket in the country, PineaeaProvince. This brought an unexpected amount of people, industry, and commerce to the area, including a new international airport.

Forestville At Night

This picture is a good way to explain how massive the tiny foresting town exploded, and turned into something amazing. A stock exchange was built for the companies in the area, and a new capitol building was built between 1956-1959. Snow falls early in Forestville, and by the time the Forestville Pine Choppers made it to the world series (stadium built 1957-1961), it was two weeks straight of snow on the ground. Banks, Investment firms, Oil companies, and Manufacturers all built their massive monuments of steel and concrete in the downtown district. A note- Penguennian architects were famous for their ultra modern skyscrapers, and were more advanced than us at the time.

Eclipse Tower

Taken in January 1959, The Eclipse Insurance Company built their headquarters in Forestville, following Aegean Insurance Group’s construction of their massive new headquarters.

Two Skyscrapers under Construction

As companies fled their previous headquarters to avoid the crushing taxes brought on by the War deficit, companies fought at land auctions in Forestville. Waco Bank and Gibson Gas are building their headquarters here.

Baseball At Night

An aerial shot of the final game of the World Series, where the Pine Choppers would win the game and the series, by scoring two runs more than the Skokie City Tunafish.

Forestville Downtown Mosaic Image

Here is a short mosaic taken in November 1962.

WallaceMobil Petroleum Plant

Wallace Petroleum and Mobil Petroleum joined in 1960, and Mobil built a massive new plant, new pipes, and a new pier that loaded oil into massive tankers.

Suburbia

The reason this entry was named what it is now, six new towns started hooking on to Forestville’s growth, and in 1960 suburbs accounted for 65% of the metropolitan population. This is what most suburbs looked like.

Forestville Psychiatric Hospital

The Pineaea Provincial Facility for Mentally and Criminally Insane Persons, or Forestville Psychiatric Hospital, or “the nuthouse”, was actually built and finished in 1944, and started accepting patients in February 1945. It followed the Kirkbide plan, and was made to handle 525 patients, but following the war, it’s population swelled to 5,000, and in 1959 the population reached an incredible 12,505, with seclusion cells housing up to 15 patients. They were often chained to the wall, and sometimes did not receive care for three weeks. In 1959 the hospital also performed 10,103 lobotomies. In 1961 the hospital was investigated by the Penguennia Institute of Mental Health Treatment, and called for huge funding increases, and 500 patients were moved to the ForestvilleTuberculosisHospital.

Bridge Near Mt. Phoenix

Mt.Phoenix was a small peak just south of Mt, Charleston, the massive peak that dominates the view when you approach Forestville by train. An avenue went through Mt.Phoenix by tunnel, and went over a small gorge. Mt.Phoenix and Mt.Charleston was, and still is, environmentally protected by Twin PeaksState Park. 

Busy Loggers battling the Snow

Pineforest Logging Company was still chopping along, and the Logging Spur One, a short rail spur, was being built to the northwest of Forestville, and they expanded into selling wood to international markets, leading it to commercial dominance in many timber markets, and they were now logging other kinds of trees now.

Artist Sketch of PanPacific Building

Penguennia Insurance Corporation was the largest insurance firm in the world, generating almost a billion dollars of revenue a day, and they were looking for a place to build their new massive headquarters. This is a sketch of the building made by Architect Frank Sim Wright. Forestville was definitely a top contender.

Next Entry: 1963-1969: The Green Movement Strikes

Please Comment!!!!!!!!!!!

IrvingTwoSmokes

Welcome back to Forestville. Lots happened in the five years after the war ended, and the discovery of Oil in the area sparked a huge discovery expedition by Wallace Petroleum, a gas company. Also, Wal-Mart built their fifteenth store within the Forestville region. The first expansion resulted in twelve new housing developments, the streets seen below.

New Streets

Six months later, the lower class shacks were setup. 

Lower Class Shacks

Soon, they developed into dirty, filthy, apartment blocks, high in crime.

New York-style low wealth brick apartments

The oil boom in the region brought WP (Wallace Petroleum) to the point where a oil tank complex had to be built to store their mineral wealth. To see the refinery, see entry 3.5 Spoiler Update.

oil, oil, everywhere!

Forestville Lumber Company was also expanding. Here are some loggers logging, well, trees.

Wilderness with trees and loggers

Below is the city in 1952, about midway through the initial explosive growth.

Forestville 1952

The commerce boom in the area brought even more wealthy people, and they started building condominiums in the best parts of town.

Rich Buildings

In 1951, a new suburb was established, and became a haven for High Tech industry. The suburb was named Alpine City.

High Tech Industry

In 1954, a highway expansion went underway, due to large semi-truck levels on the small, two-lane road.

Rural Highway running through the trees

Finally, a composite picture of the Forestville region in 1952.

Region 1950

Of course, this CJ entry would not be complete without a picture of a peculiar house in Alpine City, the site of the murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-murder-suicide deal, on Halloween 1951. The story was, kids would trick or treat there, and the local satanic cult would kidnap them, and sacrifice them, later throwing them in a pit. The cult did not reside there, they had to kill the owner first. People often hear unexplained screams, and there have been 23 owners since this picture was taken in 1955 on Halloween. The Travel Channel’s Ghost Adventures show has a scheduled “lockdown” there in July of 2010. [Author’s note—Thanks to Pegasus for Poltergeist Manor, perfect for my CJ!]

PEG Poltergiest Manor

Next Entry: 1956-1962: Rise of the Suburbs

Please comment!

IrvingTwoSmokes

I could not resist to release a spoiler on the next entry! The next one will knock your socks off, and I thought I should give everyone a hint on the next entries.

First, a picture to get you thinking about the new important discovery in the region:

Oil Derrick

Next, a picture to get you thinking about the booming economy:

Oil Refinery

And finally, a picture to be shown in the next entry anyway, to get you thinking about economic development, three new $$$ condominiums surrounded by mansions:

High Wealth development

Next entry comes very soon! It will blow you away!

IrvingTwoSmokes

Forestville City Badge

Hello, and welcome to Forestville. Sorry for the really long wait, summer just got in the way of my laptop time. Anyway, World War One just started, and war supplies were in short supply. The nation soon engulfed into total war. Penguennia was being bombed almost nonstop, and demand for wood skyrocketed, becoming almost as valuable as oil and coal. In fact, oil and coal were in such short supply, wood gasifiers were being used in cars. Penguennia's massive natural resources were being stretched to the limit. The emerging corporations in Penguennia were fueling the Penguennian War Machine. Below is Penguennia in 1944.

forestville1944.jpg

What first came were simple offices, branches of larger corporations based elsewhere. Also were the other small businesses who made the Valley Pine into paper products, and other various tree by-products. Lower environmental restrictions in Devils Valley also brought other polluting industries to the area, like toxic gas factories, massive copper and iron smelting facilities. small chemical tanks and warehouses were also built to house the materials made by the emerging economic power.

newindustry.jpg

Later, the small businesses became larger, or were bought, making the owners filthy rich. Huge mansions were now being built, to be owned by oil refinery owners, paper company CEOs, and mustard gas factory owners. This attracted wealthy businesses, such as printing firms, law firms, and the like.

commercialgrowth.jpg

In 1945 a new road would be built between Forestville and Austreville, a city 126 miles away. It would be a simple, two lane road. However, it would make the city less isolated.

transitanddistributionc.jpg

In 1946, a landing strip would be built, opening economic opportunities even more. 

newlandingstrip1946.jpg

In 1947, and industrial pier would be built on the Devils River, making the small community even more open to the world.

newindustrialpier.jpg

The below picture is the Big Mike, and was built in 1943. The ship would haul over 14 million tons of goods during the war,  and was sometimes called The Treasure Box, because it hauled the fate of the nation on it's back, carrying goods that would rebuild the country, it was invaluable, and made the Evergreen Logistics Company filthy rich.

thepcsbigmike.jpg

Here is The Treasure Box being loaded with goods in 1948

cargoonaship.jpg

Wallace Petroleum was a huge factory built in the industry boom, and the first refinery in the region. The demand would skyrocket for refineries in the region later in it's history....

wallacepetroleum.jpg

Finally, Forestville in 1950. Industry boomed in the area, of course, but there was some residential and commercial growth too. 

forestville1950.jpg

To get the real picture of industry growth, you have to view it from a very high altitude. A massive amount of the Forestville region would be cut. Below is Forestville, again in 1950.

forestvilleregion1950.jpg

The resources in the area were not yet completely discovered. In 1951, however, a 15 year old boy hiking in the woods in July would discover a resource that would revolutionize the world.

Finally, on the subject of the war. On November 12th, 1950, the nation of North Backhairistan surrendered to General John Carther, of Penguennia, at the capital of Pengen, after a relentless 38 day bombing mission against the North Backhairistian capital. The allied forces had won, and millions of soldiers would flood back to the new industrial power.

Next Entry: 1951-1955: Explosive Growth

Please Comment!

IrvingTwoSmokes

Forestville City Badge

Hello, and welcome back to Forestville. In my last entry on the city, I told you about the war coming

soon against North Backhairistan. The declaration of war among the Democratic States of Penguennia

and it's allies on North Backhairistan would be once it attacks another country. This may happen next

year (1944), or next decade, mabye even never. But war is almost guarunteed to happen. It's king,

King Topo, says it will invade an adjacent nation within 1 year. All the Allied nations are preparing for

an attack, and defense. Pays of to be prepared, right? Anyway, on with Forestville.

First Clearing

Pineforest Lumber Co. currently is a very small operation, but they have scraped up enough

money to start their very first clearing. So far, they have built a logging road, a rail transfer lot, and

have aqquired some logging vehicles. They are still the only logging company to have harnessed

the supple Valley Pine. The picture above is from July 1942.

New Growth

For a while, the town was taking it's first gasping breaths. However, the town became a place

for the unemployed, what with the new logging industry and all. The nation was already in a slight

recession, but many companies warned of their looming financial mess. Many quit their jobs, and

got new jobs with more stable companies, one of those Pineforest Lumber Company. A surge of

growth came of Forestville as a result, and they built a new Coal Plant, a clinic, police station, school,

and a fire station to fuel the surge. The picture above is September 1942.

Camp Valley

The Army was looking for many new places for training facilities, each for a different terrain.

They had one in a desert, a deciduous forest, a prarie, a mountain range, and a jungle. Now they

needed to open a Advanced Training Facility. And what better place than Devil's Valley? Construction

commenced in late September 1942, and the simple camp was finished in November 1942, which

was when the picture above was taken, with new tanks and trucks arriving.

Deforestation Continues

As you know, logging companies need logs. And Pineforest Lumber Company needed more logs.

And so they got more logs. Here you can see the expanded clearing area in January 1943.

First Sawmill

In August 1943, Pineforest Lumber Co. started to make their own beams and plywood,

all in the Pineforest Lumber Company Sawmill, built with Pineforest Lumber Co. Valley Pine

Wood. It was started in August 1942, a year ago. The company was now no longer a small scale

operation, they were getting orders from all over the world!

Forestville October 1943

Here is the city towards the end of the first growth spurt. As you can see, it now is a reasonable size. Mainstreet is being redone with new asphalt, and three new city blocks are being built. The town's population is now 502, 143 of them working for Pineforest Lumber Co (the town workforce is 206)

Most people in the city have a small black and white TV set, because that is all most can afford. Every family often tuned into the 6 o'clock news, for a check on world events. Well, on November 5th, 1943, they learned that North Backhairistan declaired war on the small nation of Kamton Republic. Sixteen Allied nations declared war on North Backhairistan. Penguennia initially sent 12 thousand troops to invade the massive, powerful nation on it's northern coast. They were up for a bloody fight.

On that day, World War 1 started.

Next Entry: 1944-1950: Years of War

Author's Note: Please leave a comment!

Photographer's Note: If each new entry the pictures seem a little more edited than the last entry, that is because I am still "evolving" on the photo front. All the FX in the pics above were done on Picnik.com

Plugins Used:
PEG MTP Sawmill
IrvingTwoSmokes

Forestville City Badge

Welcome. If you are looking for a nice, utopian, perfect city, you won't find it here. If you are looking for a nice, eco-friendly

city with concerned citizens, look somewhere else. This CJ is about a city that struggled and clawed for survival from the

start. It experienced hard times, but also good times. This city is not a symbol for a utopia, but more of a production

centered city. Maybe this city will find perfect, easy lives one day. But for now, the city is run by blood, sweat, and tears.

Mostly blood and sweat. I will start out by explaining the city's founding, and the background of the nation itself.

The city was founded 10 times. Confusing, right? Well, the city is located in Devil's Valley, the most desolate and

unforgiving location on Earth. Just when you think the wrath of Mother Nature is over, she thows another blizzard,

or thunderstorm, or deep freeze, or violent gale at you. Here, however, is a reward. The fast growing Valley Pine

grows here. The Valley Pine is no ordinary pine tree, however. This pine tree is lightweight, almost as strong as

steel, and perfect for almost every wood product imaginable. However, very few logging companies have the capital

needed to open a branch anywhere in the area, and there is also the problem that there is no city to open a branch in.

The city of Forestville is actually a project called Operation:Forestcity, by the government that rules the land: The

Democratic States of Penguennia.

(Forestville just below bulge in river in the center of the map) Note- The below picture is an artist's interpretation of Forestville in 1939.

Regional Map

The Democratic States of Penguennia were founded in 1820 by people escaping the totalarian

goverment of Kookolinberg. The nation eventually collapsed (Kookolinberg), which made the first

president feel good. Anyway the nation (Penguennia) is the most powerful on it's imaginary Earth,

and will be for a long time, thanks to the government constantly investing in the future, such as an

investment in nuclear science before the Great War of Western Goglatia, which took 12 million souls.

The nation is pretty friendly, and doesn't love war, but will fight if it has to, which lately has been always.

However, Penguennia and it's allies have been keeping their eyes on the crazy nation of North Backhairistan,

ruled by King Topo. Topo threatens to attack Penguennia, and that is not exactly a smart move on Topo's part.

Penguennia has vast amounts of Natural Resources, and plans to use it, in preparation for what many

will call World War One. All of Penguennia and it's allies are in in Production Overdrive, getting the Allied

War Machine in top condition. One thing that will be in low supply is lumber. And Penguennia has a craving

for good, lightweight, strong lumber. And that lumber is found in the Devil's Valley.

B&W Old Forestville Pic

That picture was taken in 1937, from an airship scouting out a location for the next Forestville. They already knew

how to get there, the Trans-Continential Railway went straight through the valley, and was built 1831-1865, and

spanned 1,876 miles, across the country. That picture was of the 9th attempt of Forestville. All 10 inhabitants died

by starvation, mauled by grizzly bear, frozen, dehydration, or a mortal injury (such as the guy who got his head cut

off by a machine part. All that remained were the two dipilidated cabins, a storage shed, and a broken down

diesel generator. the buildings were connected by a dirt road. 

first house gets blown up

Here you can see the groundwork completed by May 18th, about a month after 12 workers arrived in the city to

build the roads, and the buildings. They would later be the first inhabitants. The streets are half done, the diesel

generator was fixed, and the old crummy buildings were being demolished, to lay for new, better buildings.

Initial Completion

Here, the groundwork is completely finished for now, and the town workshop is being built in this picture.

The people now are living in the dirty, smelly floor of the coal shoot in the whistle stop. The living conditions

were terrible, but the hardy workers pushed on.

Ammunition Factory Moves in

Let's fast forward to August 19th, 1941. Here is the start of real development. The hardy workers moved into their homes,

and some brought their families. Now almost all worked in the MPR Ammunitions factory, that just moved in. The kids helped

to truck the ammo into the holding warehouse until they would be shipped out, and the men actually made the ammo.

The women stayed at home, and took care of the younger children, and also cooked and cleaned. The War was getting

closer, and everyone felt it, especially when the trains that read PENG ARMY would pick them off and head east, to the big

factories and army bases.

First Year Commemorative Statue

Let's continue to fast forward, to April 18th, where the city built a small bronze statue to honor the first year of

incorporation, the longest a Forestville settlement has survived. Everyone celebrated on that day, when the

statue was completed. Everyone was happy. 

Pineforest Lumber Company

On June 7th, 1942, the Pineforest Lumber Company opened the doors to it's tiny little office on the outskirts

of town. Everyone knew it would be the first to harness the Valley Pine Tree. But little did they also know

that it would decide the fate of the village, and even the nation.

Next Entry: 1942-43 Prewar Development and Logging Years!

Plugins Used:

PEG God mode pine trees

PEG Whistle Stop

PEG Logging Roads

Network Addon Mod

Many more addons, mostly from Pegasus.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0