• Moose

Davis

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The city of Davis and the surrounding suburbs.

Entries in this City Journal

MushyMushy

replie12.jpg

TowerDude: lovely, I love the farms surrounded by trees

Thanks! The trees take a while since it's just one at time. , _ ,

Schriefer: WOW! Wonderful update! Really good!

Thanks a bunch!

Benedict: Really great first two updates - you have a beautiful style to your work, and I hope to see more from your CJ.

Thanks a lot! You have a beautiful style to your compliments~

tankmank: I like the layout of the farms, and the suburbs, can't wait to see more

Thank you!

JoshuaGellock: Great looking farms!

Thanks!

Ln X: "Border Buster"' is definitely the best type of mosaic out there! Well done and great countryside!

Thanks a bunch!

TekindusT: That's how the grid is broken! Very nice!

Thanks! You can thank the NAM team for that! ;)

Compdude787: What houses are those? I want them.

mb1.0.2: This is awesome. I love your farms and the way you've framed them with the forest. They look so organic. Nice job on the roads, too. It feels so real. And that poor suburb...how boring! I guess I'm lucky enough to have about 5 or 6 different models of homes in my suburb, ha.

Thank you! I guess you are lucky! :]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome Back Teaser

I'm back from my trip, and I'm working hard in the LE to put together this next area south of Harding. Since it may take a bit, I thought I might throw you guys a quick teaser to get an idea of what's coming up.

Click for full size.

s1zZnbt.jpg

By now you guys have probably figured out that I like to edit my night shots a pretty good bit. What can I say? It's fun! Besides, they look a little more realistic, I think.

Thanks for visiting,

Mush

MushyMushy

replie11.jpg

fan o SC4: Beautiful countryside with such depressing yet real undertones, well done.

Thanks a bunch! I think we all know what it's a satire of ;).

47ply: awesome

Thanks! You're awesome!

dlsni: i like it a lot so far but im unsure whether you're planning to expand this town or not??? because those buildings seem really quite large for such a small/spread out town

Thanks! The town will expand over time. I realize the w2w buildings in Harding's central area are rather tall, as are the factories, but I was inspired by a small town I drove through one time in Alabama. It was a town of maybe 1,000 people (tiny!), and had some w2w shops/living space in it's center and a massive Jeep plant nearby. The w2w buildings in Harding are a tad bigger than those though... because the Batters didn't make very many short ploppable w2ws.

raynev1: For a first entry , this CJ is off to a great start . And you really broke the grid . Well done .

Thanks! Yeah, I sat around with the ol' NAM for a while and was like "I could make a sweet countryside with these FAR pieces..."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Harding

Well, here we are back in Harding, which is now mostly finished being created...

davis-23.jpg

We've already seen the main square.... so let's branch out a bit, eh?

davis-24.jpg

Founded in 1843, the Banks Family Farm is the oldest natural beer brewery, as well as the largest farm in Harding, followed closely by the James Family Farm. The two families really don't get along, and during the local 9th of June celebration event (independence of the country from overseas influence), the two families generally avoid each other, unless they feel like starting a drunken fight with roman candles.

davis-25.jpg

The James Family Farm, which was founded in the 50's, grows whatever is most profitable at the time. This year, that happens to be wheat. They don't get along with the Banks Family, who they claim to be "old fashioned." The James family also states that the Banks Family Farm will fail since barely hasn't been a good source of simoleons in over 30 years.

davis-26.jpg

Here we can see where the R-L1 Harding Siding reconnects with the R-L1 mainline, as well as a vacant dirt patch. The 3-lane road running north to south is Harding's Main Street.

davis-27.jpg

There may be some truth to the James Family's statement that the Banks Family is old fashioned... if the families' boats are anything to go by. Both families love boating on Harding Lake, and it may not be a coincidence that all of the Banks Family's boats are sailboats. For the time being, nobody else boats on Harding Lake for fear of being caught up in the James/Banks feud.....

davis-28.jpg

.....and instead walk around the Harding Lake Trail, which is a gravel path that goes around Harding Lake. It is surrounded by the magnificent trees of Phillips Forest, as well as an assortment of bushes and other wildlife.

davis-29.jpg

This is a shot of Harding, facing east. Harding Lake is visible, as well as the James and Banks Family Farms. In addition, Harding Train Station and Carl's Cattle Ranch are visible.

davis-30.jpg

Here we can see where the 3-lane Main Street ends at a small farmer's market at the northern edge of Harding. The ramp that sends traffic east on Sequoia Rd leads us to an overpass at I-201. On the other side of the overpass is.....

Grapeseed

Grapeseed is one of the major suburbs at the outskirts of the Harding metro area. It specializes in boring houses that all look surprisingly similar, are poorly built, and are populated by people that make a living in Harding's businesses, yet have such disdain for the city they refuse to live there, send their children to school there, or pay any taxes to the city, despite the fact that they wear down its transit system.

davis-31.jpg

Here we can see where Sequoia Rd intersects with Franklin Ave, a very wide 6-lane avenue that runs through the west side of Grapeseed. The image is just to the east of the overpass, which is why there are highway signs above the roads that give information about I-201 and where it will take you. Also visible here is Grapeseed Middle and High School, which is where all the Grapeseed students in grades 6-12 go. GMHS is part of the new municipal school district that the suburb formed when DCS (Davis City Schools) merged with VCS (Vagos County Schools) in attempt to "protect their children from the city people." Many citizens in Davis were baffled by this rude move. Besides GMHS, we can also see some big-box stores, including Kroger, Value City Department Store, Fashion Bug, and a pizza parlor.

davis-32.jpg

In this shot, we can see the incredibly boring line of cookie-cutter houses..... until..... what's this? A house that's not the same? A house that has a different lot? A house that's more than 5 years old? WHAT? This house is old man Will's house. He once owned a fine farm - the largest in Harding. The greedy developers managed to dupe him into selling it all for a tiny price so they could build Grapeseed. All that remains is his house, which the neighbors despise. His neighbors constantly complain about it the house being "different." Says something about them, doesn't it? At least poor old man Will can shop at Old Navy if he really wanted some new clothes - then again, that probably won't cheer him up much.

davis-33.jpg

The suburban sprawl... *sigh*...

Night Shots

Time for some Night Shots!

2210.jpg

The lone factories are still running strong, even into the night...

2310.jpg

Here is the second largest market in Harding, the Agrimart. Many of the farmers set up shops in the trailers of their 18 wheelers instead of paying the fee to open up shop in an actual market stall.

2610.jpg

This overpass is the only other one in Harding besides the Sequoia Rd one. It is immensely busy with traffic, be it workers or trucks. The largest truck stop (small, eh?) in Harding also rests next to it.

2511.jpg

We all know where people in Harding and Grapeseed eat - the McDonalds on Sequoia Rd.

2110.jpg

The political billboard is for a candidate running for mayor in Grapeseed. He promises to bar anyone from the city of Davis from entering their "pristine town," as he puts it; he stands a strong chance of winning.

2410.jpg

This strip mall is busy even at night - filled with mindless zombie teenagers born in the digital age.

2710.jpg

Costco Wholesale has been pretty successful in Grapeseed, as the people there are lazy and don't want to go to the store every day. Costco remedies this by selling them products in gargantuan quantities.

Overview

Here are some large overview-type maps for you all...

2map11.jpg

I call what I did here a "Border Buster." The image is actually two tiles mashed together. I realize this is a "mosaic," and that is the proper name, but hey, who cares right? Heh...

F4A5AjO.png

This is a map of the major transportation routes. Simple, eh?

2gwE2qE.png

This is a map of the space Harding and Grapeseed take up. Grapeseed will, of course, expand farther to the East, but I have not founded those tiles yet.

Hope you enjoyed this long update!

~Mushy

Also, I will be out of town in a rural area for 2 weeks soon. I will likely have horrible internet there. I also won't have my large screen to work on my cities with (It'd be hard to work on them on a tiny 14" laptop screen!), and I'll be extremely busy. So, please expect nothing but a POSSIBLE teaser during that time frame.

MushyMushy

Welcome to Davis

untitl11.png

Davis is a large, sprawling metropolis, and is the city that will be at the heart of this CJ.

So, now you're wondering why I'm showing you pictures (farther down the post) of a tiny little farm town, right? Well, Davis is still just a plan.

Davis will be a huge multi-tile project, and that project is what will be featured in this CJ. Basically, this CJ will be, at first, about the construction and laying out of the city of Davis and its surrounding suburbs and farm-towns. Seeing that I wanted to take a short break from giant glass skyscrapervilles, I will start the first few updates to this CJ off with the developments of suburbs and farm-towns like the one pictured in this pilot update, Harding. Once the main frame of the region is laid down, the CJ will transition into a more typical CJ that follows the ongoing development and troubles of its cities. I will likely also include fun things like censuses and the region's politics once we are out of the developmental stages.

This particular update, seeing as it's the pilot, will include basic information about what life in the area in and around Davis is like.

piloth10.png

• Real Estate - Davis itself offers a large amount of living and office space in high-rise glass skyscrapers at bloated prices, with few small buildings to be found. If you're not into city life, the suburban areas outside of Davis offer a nice selection of cookie-cutter houses that are identical to all your neighbors' houses, with way-to-green and tiny lawns. There are also plenty of malls and shopping centers for you to throw all of your simoleons at. If you want to keep to live in a more "homie" place, with patchy phone and wifi connection and the smell of cow manure in the air, maybe the small towns that rest beyond the suburbs are for you! Who doesn't love living in a town where you have to drive for miles just to buy basic things, and where kindergarteners go to school with high school seniors?
  • Education - Davis has many schools for minors of all ages. Even though the schools are overcrowded, mostly failing, and filled with petty theft, some kids do manage to get into one of the two semi-noteworthy universities in the area.
  • Health - Davis features so pretty decent health services, including a few hospitals that have made some major breakthroughs in sim health. Just be careful of how often you go, because the doctors charge you a hefty 5.999 simoleons just to ask them a question.
  • Money - Davis is somewhat troubled when it comes to finances. The rich keep getting richer, the mid class is shrinking (albeit slowly), and the poor are stuck. Experts say that if you take inflation into account, the minimum wage a sim should be paid per hour is 184 simcents (0.184 simoleons), but the minimum businesses have to pay their workers now is 62 simcents, as it has been for 86 years.
  • Transportation - Davis has good transportation services. There are a number of highways in the area, which are labeled as I-1?? for highways that exit the city and connect to far away places, or I-2??, which is for highways that loop around Davis or do not leave the area. There is also a decent rail network, with R-L? signifying lines that do not leave Davis, and R-I? labeling lines that leave Davis. There is also ample bus and elevated rail service. Davis also has DAIA, which stands for Davis Area International Airport. People in Davis are terrible drivers, although miraculously, they remember to drive on the right.

hardin10.png

Harding is a tiny farming town that sits beyond the suburbs. It is bordered by Phillips Forest to the north and south, Harding Lake to the west, and the 6 lane I-201 Loop to the east.

Let's take a look...

davis-14.jpg

Harding's main road, appropriately named Main Street, runs north to south (left to right in this image), is home to many of Harding's tallest buildings. The town center includes the KSIM Radio tower (Kountry Sim Radio), the Harding Farmers Market, and the Herald - S.U.N. building, which is home to the two rival local newspapers, the Harding Herald and the Sims United Newspaper. Many of the wall to wall buildings in the town center house a good ol' "mom and pop" store on the ground floor, and Harding residents on the floors above.

davis-15.jpg

Harding is home to the 3 story Harding Train Station, which sits on the Harding Siding of the R-L1 mainline. There is also the Harding Central School (HCS), which is where children of all ages in Harding go to school. The school is grossly oversized, as the town's population is tiny and a number of minors in the area work in the fields rather than go to school. Around the school are the handful of houses that rest in Harding. The people living in these houses have relentlessly farmed the area, which has resulted in much of the grass in the area dying to low nutrient content in the soil. While the houses in Harding are of all styles and ages, some with farms and some without, the newest and least farm-towniest houses are the two pink ones that some contractors threw up next to the school. While Harding has tried to stop progress, it is starting to be overpowered by suburban developers.

davis-16.jpg

The only two factories in Harding employ a very small number of people due to the mechanization of the production process of their products. This is especially prominent at the Gratiot Motors facility, although Domino Sugars has advanced its technology some. Both of these factories are something like iconic symbols of Harding, as they have two of the major neon signs in the town, the other being the KSIM Radio tower.

davis-17.jpg

There's a nice shot of the main part of Harding! Note that the space at the bottom of the image has not been developed into farmland yet, nor have the trees been planted along the R-L1.

davis-18.jpg

This image is focused to the east of Harding. The highway visible at the bottom of the image (to the east) is the I-201 Loop. The thick curved mass of trees is surrounding the R-L1 Harding Siding, and if you were to follow the track to the right off the image (north), you would be at the Harding Train Station.

davis-19.jpg

This image is similar to the last one, but is farther to southwest. We can see where the R-L1 mainline and the R-L1 Harding Siding connect.

davis-20.jpg

Here we can see Carl's Cattle Ranch, which is just to the northeast of Harding. The Harding Train Station is just out of view to the right, while HCS is just off the bottom.

davis-21.jpg

This is a popular truck stop for truckers driving past Harding on the I-201. To the east (top) of the image, past the I-201, there will be suburban development.

It's time for some night shots!

1_310.jpg

Here we are back at Harding's central area, where we can see that it is well-lit at night.

1_210.jpg

Here we can see Harding Train Station, HCS, and some houses at night.

1_110.jpg

Now we have the two factories in Harding at night...

So about an overview?

davis-22.jpg

Now, instead of explaining my current plans, I'll just give you all a neat little graphic. ;)

hardin10.jpg

I would like to say that the goal of my including the construction of my region in this CJ is that I hope for the suggestions made in the comments section to be used in the CJ.

There you go! I hope you enjoyed Harding and my pilot update for the city of Davis! (both of which took a long time)

~Mush