• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Small city surrounded by farms and woodlands in a beautiful valley.

Entries in this City Journal

rewright

bGdvpf.jpg

Replies:

Is this based on the same Eagle that was a Chrysler brand? That's a huge complex. Must have taken a while to build.

I just picked a name I liked. Some of the new auto plants here in the USA South are quite large and spread out. It took a couple of evenings to get the basics done.

Now THAT is an automobile factory!

Please post the close-up pictures soon.

Thanks! Here are a few closer shots.

I love looking at industrial sites in google earth. Looks good

Yes, I like looking at cities from the air, and it gives me some ideas as to spacing and layout. Thanks for visiting.

Update:

ETirLX.jpg

I2rj6W.jpg

sxfwIU.jpg

YYP5gL.jpg

ozz7RQ.jpg

NIxp2Q.jpg

By for now...

Dick

rewright

T8WNcK.jpg

Replies:

Really good as always.

Thanks, I appreciate the comment and visit!

Nice to see the development in the town!

Great job again :)

It's a nice town with a great setting. Thank you for the visit!

Looks good from every angle and zoom level - brilliant work.

Thank you friend. Hope you enjoy this little teaser.

Lovely work I like how mixed styled apartments used there...

Sometime I try to get a large complex of the same style, but the game doesn't always cooperate :(. Thanks.

So pretty! The sprawling farms are really nice to look at :D

If I had to find one thing to criticize it'd be that I would have used the elevated railway instead of raising the terrain near the station but you still made it look nice, so it's more nitpicking on my part than real criticism ;)

Glad you like the layout. I just felt like using retaining walls here. The downside is they block the view of the river. Thanks for stopping by.

Update:

4Is9qK.jpg

By for now...

Dick

rewright

dd7c3a.jpg

Replies:

I just love your realistic towns.

Thanks! Me too...

Nice detail! As soon as i get some texture packs, I most certainly hope my towns look like this!

I am always working on doing the details. Many folks here are real artists with MMP's.

Bulldoz'em!

LOL! Thanks for the visit. :)

The region view just gets more amazing as you continue to fill it in. Brilliant work.

Thanks for stopping by friend! There is a lot of space yet to be prepped.

Great little town, i like the way you have incorporated it into the larger urban area, i can see development growing to cover those farms

Preserving farm land is always a concern, though some always is sold and "re-purposed".

So beautiful *-*

Farms and forests well done :)

Hi friend. Good to see you.

Update:

2326a1.jpg

78b7a2.jpg

636f8e.jpg

a4431f.jpg

929082.jpg

69f39c.jpg

c776ad.jpg

By for now...

Dick

rewright

9e7dd7.jpg

Replies:

looking good I like the terrain mod

Thanks, it's the Italia Terrain Controller, which I saw in our friend Caracortada's CJ. It is a great looking mod.

Another excellent update.

As always, I appreciate your encouragement my friend.

Excellent! Hillsboro looks great indeed.

Thank you for your comments! It's a nice town.

Love it. It totally feels like a city that's about to explode (population wise (duh)). Also dig the pond behind the shopping center. Small details go a long way!

Every time I review the CJ section, I see what great detail other members are able to create. I need to work harder on MMP's. Thanks!!

dem details !! :D

LOL! Thanks...

I wish I could spread like you can! My cities always turn out cartoonish. which may or may not be good.

One thing I've worked on is the not try to fill every square with "something", by which I mean buildings, roads, etc. Go on Google Earth and see how much "empty" space there is in most towns.

Update:

Like many small satellite towns, Fairfield must cope with the encroachment of suburban sprawl from a large and growing central city, going so far as to remake it's original village into a small urban town center. The next challenge is protecting the towns extensive farm lands.

Here is a regional view of the area

4c8531.png

Now for a few closer looks at the now sizable town, sixty two thousand and counting.

4c43ba.jpg

47e3d9.jpg

ea15f6.jpg

By for now...

Dick

rewright

q0t0t.jpg

Replies:

I love watching as this region develops, good job!

Thanks for the kind words!

A very promising CBD...

I'm pleased you are enjoying it. Thanks!

I just spent time looking at all the updates from the beginning...I love the growth of this region. It's so realistic. The CBD looks perfect for a mid-to-large sized city. Reminds me of something like Des Moines or Indianapolis. I hope you've gotten your rendering issues figured out. :)

First of all, thank you for spending the time required to read each update!! I've tried to keep the CBD in scale (it might be a little over-sized). The rendering is still a problem in the Brattleboro city. Stuff just disappears!? Makes growing my regions largest city kind of a challenge.

Looks Good! I like the train system and the neighborhoods. Nice flow and realism

I try to keep the rail lines flowing like real lines do. Also, most rail lines do not have grade level crossings.

Update:

03p0.jpg

qpza.jpg

k5qdm.jpg

0lnvt.jpg

g95e.jpg

By for now...

Dick

rewright

1gtn.jpg

Replies:

Thank you to all who offered suggestions on my technical problem on the Brattleboro panel. Still there but hopefully I can

figure it out.

Huston, on 02 May 2014 - 9:03 PM, said: Nice, some fantastic aerial shots :)

• Thank you. Hope you like the one below.

Moerp, on 03 May 2014 - 06:00 AM, said: Wonderful suburbs!

• Yes, the town sits in a pretty area. Thanks!

Schulmanator, on 03 May 2014 - 09:34 AM, said: Looking good. A pleasant and prosperous town.

• I'm thinking of moving there. Good schools.

jmsepe, on 03 May 2014 - 10:52 AM, said: Beautiful suburbs! I like the green areas.

• The area has lots of nice wood lots and pastures.

fan o SC4, on 03 May 2014 - 10:48 PM, said: Nice town, really realistic.

• I try for some realism. Thank you.

C4RACORTADA, on 04 May 2014 - 07:53 AM, said: I love the look of this city, nice job!!

• It is nice and tidy. Glad you enjoy it!

Richie99, on 05 May 2014 - 7:05 PM, said: Very nice pictures.I appreciate the work involved.

• And I very much appreciate the comments! Thanks.

Benedict, on 09 May 2014 - 09:20 AM, said: Another awesome week in Addison County

• Thank you friend. The issues with the Brattleboro section kept me busy.

Update:

895ou.jpg

A little panorama for you today.

r047.jpg

cl95.jpg

g9zfh.jpg

mxts.jpg

pot7y.jpg

yht5.jpg

By for now...

Dick

rewright

rxgu.jpg

I know this is not the technical problem venue, but I thought one of you might have seen

this situation. As you can see from the pictures, some of the textures and props are just

randomly disappearing. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Here is a series of the sports complex. The next to last picture shows the stadium as it should look.

nzj0.png

u0dq.png

rli0.png

cc19.png

Here is an industrial park.

q3xw.png

Thanks,

Dick

rewright

rxgu.jpg

Replies:

Benedict, on 02 May 2014 - 08:23 AM, said: You're continuing to provide us with amazing images - I continue to be impressed by the region views and the closeups.

• Thank you friend. I appreciate you continued support.

feeroz123, on 02 May 2014 - 03:34 AM, said: I like the long tunnel on the right.

I am curious to know how you make those forests. What tree mod? How do you plop?

• Thanks. I'll do a quick post on how I'm currently doing it. It's in transition from Maxis stuff.

pingpong, on 02 May 2014 - 09:31 AM, said: great and very alluring curves for the highway :D

• I wish the game allowed free flowing curves. Thanks!

Roman_Samudra, on 02 May 2014 - 09:39 AM, said: I like the tunnels, so perfectly blend....

• Thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoy it.

Update:

h7n5.jpg

dqj2.jpg

po47.jpg

7imk.jpg

xydk.jpg

ziu0.jpg

oahw.jpg

r2fj.jpg

By for now...

Dick

rewright

vfcd.jpg

Replies:

89James89, on 01 May 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

Looks awesome and so realistic. Just like something you'd expect to see flying around over google maps.

Looking forward to more!

Cheers,

James

• Thanks! That is what I try to do.

C4RACORTADA, on 01 May 2014 - 03:36 AM, said: I agree with James, are very realistic images

• Thanks friend. Glad you like.

Moerp, on 01 May 2014 - 06:42 AM, said: This is one of the most realistic CJs I know. I just love this. 5/5 +1

• I appreciate that!

fan o SC4, on 01 May 2014 - 06:43 AM, said: Visually pleasing and realistic urban/suburban development, sweet.

• Great! Thanks for the visit.

cortezz, on 01 May 2014 - 2:13 PM, said: I just would like to say I really enjoy your journal and this is first one I actual followed and now commented on. Or even commented on this website since I started coming in 2004. I mostly just glance at journals and move on never to look at them again. But yours actual caught my attention. Some journals photoshop the images too much and loose the actual simcity flavor or make them hard to view and enjoy. Others go overboard with story elements but yours strikes a great balance. I look forward to more entries and to see your region expand and grow. Will you be adding a national park or State Park in the future? I think you do a great job with landscape and forest.

• Well thank you for the very kind words. I actually have planned to do some large natural areas.

Luiz P. Romanini, on 01 May 2014 - 9:12 PM, said: Great job. So green, but also so urban! Awesome.

• Thanks for stopping by!

Update:

ukcj.jpg

0sur.jpg

1lv4.jpg

By for now,

Dick Wright

rewright

a9rc.jpg

Replies:

Ln X, on 29 Apr 2014 - 08:48 AM, said: Looking great as always.

• Thanks! Very happy you are enjoying the region.

C4RACORTADA, on 29 Apr 2014 - 4:05 PM, said: The city grows!! I like! Everything looks very tidy

• Like many US cities, it hasn't done massive planning, but they have given some thought to transportation and green space. Thanks!

Update:

e0uk.jpg

wfgk.jpg

r7oa.jpg

rewright

tulj8.jpg

Replies:

jmsepe, on 26 Apr 2014 - 02:23 AM, said: Great entry! I personally like how those farms and the urban center are incorporated. :D

• When I traveled to Canada some years ago, I noticed this type of thing. Thanks!

C4RACORTADA, on 26 Apr 2014 - 02:37 AM, said: This is a realistic view of region, I like!

• Thanks for that. I switched to the terrain mod you sent me.

Huston, on 26 Apr 2014 - 06:07 AM, said: This region shot still really alluring. I mean I hardly have any words to describe it :O

• Well, the ones you used will do just fine!! Thank you!!

Ln X, on 26 Apr 2014 - 06:49 AM, said: A great regional picture. Good job integrating the woodland, farmland and main city so smoothly.

• Yes, as I mentioned to jmsepe above, when I was in Quebec, I notice many of the towns were like that. Not so much suburban sprawl just scattered over the landscape.

Schulmanator, on 26 Apr 2014 - 07:16 AM, said: Great pic :D

• Thanks for the visit!

Moerp, on 26 Apr 2014 - 08:43 AM, said: Your building style is so incredible realistic! And I love realism^^

• Well, there have been a few other members that excelled in this type of region, most notably Mr. Beer, and I've been inspired by them in that respect. Thank you.

feeroz123, on 26 Apr 2014 - 2:50 PM, said: This is a pic taken from a flight over the region ! Awesome work !

• As you can see, there is still a lot of tiles yet to be played.

Wallibuk, on 26 Apr 2014 - 6:14 PM, said: very structured area, nice

• Thanks for the visit!

raynev1, on 27 Apr 2014 - 08:16 AM, said: Region views are my favorite , this one looks fantastic . 5/5

• Yes, they seem to be popular. I'll do another when there is some development east of the river.

Update:

Brattleboro has become quite urbanized, with numerous large residential and office towers, and a metro population of almost 300,000 residents. Financial services, insurance and corporate offices have transformed the city's core, adding thousands of jobs. Many workers in these businesses now live in the city center, enjoying the amenities of urban life.

xlcs.png

While most of the residential growth has been on the western side of the river, a new metro line under the Rock River, and abundant land will bring an anticipated surge in residential growth here.

5el1.png

Residential and office buildings cluster around the civic center.

qt5u.png

Some high-end condos with parks and ponds, and more modest apartments across the street.

vg8t.png

Care to ride in a helicopter and land up here?

rebw.png

The Rock River dam is the oldest in the region and still functions as flood control and electrical gerneraton.

1i5w.png

z6td.png

hahp.png

By for now...

Dick

rewright

lw81y.jpg

Replies:

Benedict, on 18 Apr 2014 - 09:24 AM, said: Great work again this week. The dam looked amazing, love the tunneled access road.

• Thanks friend. I've been busy at work and haven't had much time to put together and update. Maybe the 1st of the week.

C4RACORTADA, on 18 Apr 2014 - 1:16 PM, said: You've done a good job!

• Thank you for that!

Ln X, on 19 Apr 2014 - 04:24 AM, said: You... have made Maxis highways look hot!

Well done.

• LOL! Not easy sometimes.

Schriefer, on 19 Apr 2014 - 5:38 PM, said: Great job! I also liked the way you used Maxis highways. The use of MMPs is well done too :)

• Yes, I try to get the most out of them. Thanks.

Update:

Here is a shot of the Greater Brattleboro area, spreading outwards towards the Western hills.

op1j.jpg

By for now...

Dick

rewright

m64n.jpg

Replies:

MariusMR, on 15 Apr 2014 - 04:30 AM, said: Very useful indeed! Thank you very much!

Now I have to go and find a place to build a dam... :P

• Thanks! Sometimes I have to tweek the spot a little.

89James89, on 15 Apr 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

That's cool that you took us through the process. Not sure I like the use of the peg pond pieces up the top but I think that's just personal preference to using MMP's for water bodies. Other than that it looks awesome.

I assume there would be a road leading tot he actual power plant at the bottom though?

Cheers

James

EDIT: Just read the previous update and seen that you did indeed add access roads tot he powerplant in the real thing.

:D Good job!

• I've used the ploppable water but it seems to come out a little blotchy, though it allows more freedom with creating the shoreline. Glad you like it.

feeroz123, on 15 Apr 2014 - 08:19 AM, said: Great! Not everyone teaches the skills. Thank you ! Good technique.

• Thanks. I know, and I am always thankful when someone shows how they do a particular technique. Hope this will help.

Schriefer, on 15 Apr 2014 - 10:19 AM, said: Great tutorial. Thanks for that.

• You're very welcome friend.

Ln X, on 15 Apr 2014 - 6:38 PM, said: Thank you very much for this tutorial!

• Great, glad you liked it. Thanks for all the "catch up" replies!! :)

Update:

Work has begun on the Stan Wright Connector, which will tie in the northern suburbs to the freeway grid. More on the next section soon.

d1rn.png

3srk.png

8q3z.png

umsi.png

By for now...

Dick

rewright

Building a Dam...

A few folks have indicated they are interested in how I build my dams. Here is a little tutorial on how I do it. I hope it is useful to some of you.

1. Find a likely location for your dam. A valley, near by river and a way to extend a branch stream to the dam location.

33uj.png

2. Extend a stream to the spot you will build the dam. Widening the area at the dam base.

zht8.png

3, at the base of the dam, build a three row shelf.

73og.png

)

4. Raise the back row by 24m (using Hole Digging Lots by Shadow Assassin).

giwq.png

5. Create a two row shelf.

ajp2.png

6. Raise the back row by 24.

yeex.png

7. Keep repeating steps 5 & 6 until the dam is at the height you want.

1py9.png

8. At the back of the dam, make a shelf at the level you want your reservoir.

tz1f.png

9. Level your lake, filling you valley.

9h5j.png

10. On the base shelf, put what ever you want for your spillway and sea walls. You can also ad an addition for a power house, etc. I've used PEG Hydroelectric dam here.

r087.png

11. Using FrankU Modular Warehouse Pack's empty lot, coat you dam faces.

dho2.png

b0nu.png

12. Using PEG Pond pieces, create the lakes border.

mimb.png

wiq7.png

whx0.png

13. Once the border is done, use the 4x4 water piece and and fill in the center of the lake.

85zu.png

5lrj.png

14. Finish the lake with smaller pieces.

hz6f.png

no3n.png

15. You can then add things like access roads.

hpqv.png

0ojy.png

I hope this will be helpful.

Thanks,

Dick Wright

rewright

White Water Dam...

me0s.jpg

Replies:

Benedict, on 11 Apr 2014 - 11:26 AM, said: Looking fantastic as always. Great exurbs.

• Thanks friend. The city is starting to really spread out.

Fox, on 12 Apr 2014 - 9:06 PM, said: Love the bubs and the retail outlets .. much therapy to be done in this area!!

• Thanks for stopping by! They are putting little centers in each neighborhood to help cut down on traffic.

Update:

White Water Dam is the second one and is providing water to the valley's growing population. It's reservoir is several times the size of the Bear Creek Dam.

ey5o.png

6i4k.png

scoj.png

4bkr.png

By for now...

Dick

rewright

79gc.jpg

Replies:

89James89, on 05 Apr 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

Looks nice I love your regional view, very realistic looking and the growth has a nice organic feel to it too.

Keep up the good work!

James

• Thanks! I'm trying to keep development as well as vegetation flowing into neighboring cities to give a more realistic look.

C4RACORTADA, on 06 Apr 2014 - 06:00 AM, said: Nice shots, I love the first picture!

• I'll be adding more city tiles soon. Thank you!

slickbg56, on 06 Apr 2014 - 09:38 AM, said: The region view is outstanding. Very well done.

• I appreciate the comment.

IRE505, on 06 Apr 2014 - 5:24 PM, said: Beautiful!!!! This is turning into a great original, yet still keeping to the Simcity roots! Your CJ is definitely one of the best around at the moment!

• Thanks and I'm happy you think so! There are so many great CJ's out there. SC4 is still the best platform out there IMO.

Huston, on 07 Apr 2014 - 04:47 AM, said: Wow, I just cannot turn down that amazing region view. I have to say, it's one of the best regions I've ever seen. It definitely puts my sandbox region to shame :P

• Thank you! I hope I can keep it that way.

Update:

As part of the over-all regional transportation plan, the Airport Expressway has been extended under the terminal, and connected with the SE Connector. It will also be extended to the North and tie in to the Northern Belt, that is in the planning stage.

usxd.png

j258.png

c6wy.png

c531.png

zumd.png

pyb3.png

By for now...

Dick

rewright

79gc.jpg

Replies:

Benedict, on 04 Apr 2014 - 10:42 PM, said: Great mid rise work here.

• Thanks friend, just trying to keep in proportion. The area is at about 210,000 population.

Update:

This shows Brattleboro spreading out over the central valley.

5z4d.jpg

Fairfield has a large agricultural area, but of course growth is inching it's way in.

kdu8.png

7q27.png

cpyo.png

i29z.png

uyuo.png

By for now...

Dick

rewright

p32c.jpg

Replies:

Schulmanator, on 02 Apr 2014 - 06:21 AM, said: Nice airport :D

• Thanks! I've updated the terminal some since the original post.

Update:

This is just a quick update on Brattleboro's downtown area. Banking and insurance, as well as two sizable hotels, have changed the city's skyline.

l9gf.png

By for now...

Dick

rewright

6asx.jpg

Replies:

Mr.Guilherme, on 28 Mar 2014 - 10:34 PM, said: Perfect :D

• Great! Glad you like it.

IRE505, on 29 Mar 2014 - 6:50 PM, said: Very nice I like it a lot! Well done! :D

• I appreciate that and thanks for stopping by.

Fox, on 29 Mar 2014 - 8:31 PM, said: Great update, love the trees you've chosen to fill in the area..

The country club looks great and the car parking around the insurance company looks great.. everyone always forgets car parking.

• Thanks for the visit and comments! You are right though, many folks create huge cities with no place to park.

Update:

A new terminal and 10 gate concourse has been completed south of the old terminal. The areas population and business has grown well beyond the old facility and this new complex will be able to expand as the need grows.

wl2n.png

Parking has also been increased substantially.

k6ai.png

There is room for two more concourses as the need arises.

uyy9.png

jmpp.png

l2g4.png

t6bm.png

v72w.png

0jcz.png

kj41.png

By for now...

Dick

rewright

c2sy.jpg

Replies:

juliok92012, on 25 Mar 2014 - 09:37 AM, said: Good Work, a very beautiful lake.

• Thanks! Probably some small mouth base in there.

MilitantRadical, on 25 Mar 2014 - 09:45 AM, said: Ah, some spice! I gotta track down where I got my waterlilies so I can pass them along to you.

• Hey, that would be very nice.

Schriefer, on 25 Mar 2014 - 4:23 PM, said: Good update! Your work with MMPs is great!

• I'm learning to use them more. I've found a few MMP people I've started using.

Benedict, on 28 Mar 2014 - 12:53 AM, said: Not sure how you produce such outstanding work week after week. Love it.

• That is very kind of you my friend. Thanks!

Update:

Deerfield is just South of Brattleboro is known for it's rivers, woodlands and farms.

4mui.png

The old village has many of it's original buildings with some newer construction coming in.

vrdj.png

61qu.png

Shopping center and some technology industry.

87ln.png

Variety of businesses moving in along the highway.

zppf.png

The area's largest insurance company.

jzpe.png

Shopping center with out-parcels.

7j26.png

muic.png

Affordable housing.

19gj.png

Crossroads with the new Commerce Parkway.

odlz.png

Commerce Parkway winds around the country club.

7h64.png

By for now...

Dick

rewright

A little pond...

l3n8.jpg

Replies:

slickbg56, on 24 Mar 2014 - 10:37 AM, said: Nice work. I really like the looks of this. Reminds me of driving through Pennsylvania.

• Thanks. On the turnpike?

MilitantRadical, on 24 Mar 2014 - 1:42 PM, said: Good job with the mmps. I could use a little water somewhere to spice things up a bit. Still, nice work.

• Well, here is a little pond for now...

Update:

This is a little pond beside the highway through the pass.

7lcg.png

so7f.png

2sy6.png

0dyf.png

By for now...

Dick

rewright

f2ht.jpg

Replies:

Benedict, on 21 Mar 2014 - 05:21 AM, said: Nice transitions between different areas.

• Thanks friend!

feeroz123, on 21 Mar 2014 - 10:20 AM, said: I liked the reservoir and apartments in a group. Nice setup.

• It is sometimes difficult to get the same apartments to grow together. Thanks.

Richie99, on 22 Mar 2014 - 8:21 PM, said:That reservoir has really served since the early days!So nice!

• Yep! It still gets the job done!

Schriefer, on 22 Mar 2014 - 9:53 PM, said: Nice, I liked that diagonal neighborhood, looks different.

• Thanks. I don't do that often.

Update:

Wilmington is on the last section of the pass that connects the lower valley with the upper valley.

71ss.png

The highway as it exits the tunnel into the valley.

acjo.png

n3h8.png

The approach to the tunnel.

oixu.png

y0uz.png

22h4.png

By for now...

Dick