• Moose

Adriatic Hochlands

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

An Austro-Hungary-based Kingdom,in an Adriatic sea that you have never seen!

Entries in this City Journal

Vopos

To don't misunderstand this journal,please,first read these introductions: http://community.simtropolis.com/journal/4747/entry-22649-let-me-take-you-to-hochlands/ 1) and http://community.simtropolis.com/journal/4747/entry-22657-adriatic-hochlands-introduction-and-facts/ 2)

"If you're a stranger and you have to reach the mainland of Hochlands,you have to ask to the seaport security a permission to do that.

So,with a dirty,simple and ruined paper of the local sea transport company "Koterlinien",with the texts written in German,Croatian,Slovenian and Italian,I finally got on the boat to Dobrau..."

za9n.png

"...We knew that we were arrived when ,in a desolate landscape with few forests,we saw a village where all the houses had black roofs.

At the same time,a boat's bell rang and a voice yelled "WIR SIND ANGEKOMMEN! STIGLI SMO!" in german and then in croatian.

The boat made a curve,after the village,and we entered in a creepy and narrow fiord. After 10 minutes,we saw a lovely town completely sorrounded by hills.

It was Dobrau,we were arrived!"

92vc.png

Dobrau (Dubrava in Croatian,Slovenian and Italian,Dőbrő in Hungarian) is a strategic town,located 40kms north of Passein,built in a narrow fiord,that makes Dobrau an ideal repair for boats and battleships.

Dobrau is one of those towns in Hochlands that make a municipality,that for the Hochlands' law is a piece of territory,very similar to a district,that has other villages or towns that are under the administration of a specific town. The opposites of the municipalities are the "Cities/Free Cities".

In this municipality there are 2245 inhabitants.

2000 of them live in Dubrava itself,while 210 live in the village of Srendau (Srendovci in Croatian and Slovenian,Serindano in Italian,Serrő in Hungarian) and 35 live in the small village of Dobrauer Schwartzdorf (Dubravsko Crno selo in Croatian,Dubravsko Črno selo in Slovenian,Cerno di Dubrava in Italian and Feketfalu in Hungarian).

xmim.png

(Srendau)

The ethnic composition is...:

70% Croatians,18% Slovenes,5% Italians,6% Hungarians and 1% Austrians.

Dubrava is also an important ferry port and railway station. There are no road or railway links to the western part of Hochlands,except if you take a boat to Passein,or if you continue to the north,where road and railway links to the west are insured.

ywc1.png

czhq.png

Vopos

"At 20.35 I took the only boat to the nearest location to the mainland,because reaching the mainland in one journey from here,Kreisitz,is impossible and dangerous. This boat,called in german "Dobrauerboot" (Dobrau's boat) will take me to the small island of Lissein,a location supposed to be very close to the mainland. I don't have many informations about it,but if it can take me to the true Hochlands,I'll take it. So,with a bilingual ticket (German and Croatian),a one-way ticket to this unknown (to me) island called Lissein,I got on the "Dobrauerboot"..."

mr6n.png

Lissein (Liznjan in croatian and slovene,Lissano in italian and Liszassziget in Hungarian) is a small island located 2.5 kms from the second largest island of the Hochlands,Mleit,and 50 kms from the mainland. It is populated mostly by Croatians (88% of the population),while other ethnic groups are divided in:

4% Slovenes ,1% Italians ,4% Austrians and 3% Hungarians.

There are 2004 inhabitants there.

Lissein is an important point of reference for the sailors that want to reach the mainland. It was conquered very late by the Habsburgs,the old,smaller and poor native settlement was completely destroyed by the k.u.k. Kriegsmarine's battleships.

A new,settlement was built,and this settlement grew up with the time,and became a true little jewel of the Hochlands' typical (new,and promoted by the Habsburgs) architecture.

"At 3.00 am we arrived in this windy island. The bora wind ,blown few hours ago,left a cold air that could destroy my bones. The first thing I did,was to go to the ticket office,where I asked for a ticket to Passein,the capital of the Koter region,but there were no links with Passein 'til the new year's eve,so I had to buy a ticket to Dobrau,a location located north of Passein,hidden behind a long and creepy fiord...

Then I looked for a place to sleep,and I found it at the local school,closed in this period.

So,lying in my bed,I tried to sleep,after this long and weary journey. A journey that was still going on..."

vtrx.png

A view of the whole town.

a06r.png

The local governor's villa.

23ee.png

A view of the town,with the typical parallel streets in the very centre of the settlement.

(Thanks for viewing,if you liked it,please, comment and add a +1!!!)

Vopos

"The ferry to Trestau was blocked because of a worker's strike in that same city. But I had to reach the Hochlands immediately! I was desperate.

Sat on a bench in a Venice's dock looking to the sea,trying to distinguish ,in the horizon,the Hochlands' first pieces of land,I saw a fisherman talking to a merchant with a slight slavic accent: <<So you have to go to the Hochlands? There's a boat to the isle of Kreisitz,once there you can take other boats to the rest of the region! It's the only one for the Hochlands now.>> . I followed the merchant,I had to reach that island...

Once I had taken the boat I sat near a table in the first bridge and I stared at the sea,looking also at Venice,that was becoming smaller and smaller,while we were leaving.

In the first hours of the morning,I heard some voices above me, <<I see it,I see it,we're arrived!>>. I got out of my room and went to the bridge and,for the first time,I saw it...I was arrived..."

6jte.png

The island of Kreisitz (Kresic' in Croatian,Crassici in Italian) is the most isolated island of the Habsburg empire. It is mostly used as a military outpost,although there aren't many military facilities.

The population,711 inhabitants, is composed by:

60% Croats ,27% Italians,10%Austrians (mostly soldiers),2% Slovenes and 1%Hungarians (mostly soldiers).

Although it is a military place,is one of the most famous holidays' destination for the richer families,who have their villas in the hilly part of the island.

But reaching the island is difficult. Bora winds blow strongly on the island,making the sea connections,the only with the rest of the World,very difficult and dangerous.

For this,the island has a lighthouse,which is a point of reference for the lost fishermen,voyagers and so on...

"...Once arrived in this tiny,windy and sad island,I had to find other boats to reach the mainland.

I went to the seaport,asked the fishermen when the next boat to Passein was,but,as they told me,there was no boat to Passein 'til the next day.

I had to find an accomodation for the night,and my only choice was to look for it in the small village behind the seaport..."

to4c.png

"I found an accomodation in a innkeeper's home right behind the police station,a building full of soldiers. Once I had fixed my stuff,I went out for a walk,arriving at the lighthouse,a white sad building whith a black roof,hidden in the woods of Cape Sankt Karl. I walked 'til the end of the cape,and I sat down,looking at the horizon,with my eyes directed to the mainland...<<Tomorrow I'll reach you,I promise!>> I said,and then I went back to the innkeeper's house,for a long sleep..."

4o1s.png

To be continued...

(if you enjoyed it,please +1 and comment! )

Vopos

n0vq.png

With 4 different cultures,5 different languages and many different traditions, the Adriatic Hochlands were one of the most interesting regions of the Habsburgic Empire.

These lands,extended by the southern Velebit area (nowadays Croatia) to the italo-slovenian borders with Austria ,until the Habsburgic conquest,had different origins,stories.

The northern province,Hochlitoral-Krain,once was a Venetian puppet state called Free Borderlands.

The southern provinces of Innistrien and Koter,were independent lands without a precise government. These lands looked like a mix of City-states. In the Velebit littoral there were some Venetian colonies,but no other stranger peoples tried to invade these territories.

But while the Hochlitoral-Krain ,a province were the 78% of the population are italians,could keep the typical mediterranean architecture,the other provinces,after the Habsburgic conquest,had to know the "Osterreichprogram" (Austria Program): the 90% of the ancient towns located in that region were completely destroyed,to let space to a more "austrian" architecture.

In the first times ,in all the regions,the occupation of Habsburgs was hard,but with the time,the local citizens knew more civilization and new,modern (for that time) infrastructures. For the first time the region could have a modern system of roadways and railways,ports and public transport (tramways)...

Geography and other facts:s6c.gif

The region is composed by 3 provinces:

-Innistrien,with capital at Trodenau(capital also of the entire region),has a mixed population,where the Croats make the 54%,the Slovenes the 20%,the Italians 25% and the Austrians are only 1%.

-Koter,with capital at Passein,is the largest region,there are located the main ports and the most important military facilities. There's also the official residence of the local governors,at the village/castle of Spassein. The absolute majority are Croats and Slovenes,with some Italian and Hungarian communities.

-Hochlitoral-Krain,with the capital at Trestau,is the region where the Italians make the majority of the population,with 78%,is a real economic power for the empire,with many ports and facilities. It is also the cultural and historical centre of the region.

The overall territory is mainly hilly/mountainous. There are few valleys,that are utilised for railway and roadway hubs,or for ports.

This geographic contidions are very hard for the communications' development,so,the Innistrien and the Koter,have few roadlinks. So,the main way of transport is by ferry or by train.

This part of empire,is seat of very important universities,such as the one in Passein,with other seats in Trodenau and Konigowitz.

There are also the most important military and navy academies of the entire empire.

The large number of islands and ports,are the best place to develop a very powerful navy and the difficult geography is the best to develop a very agile infantry.

The main economic resources are the trade of different goods such as iron,wood,seafood (the main primary sector's activity),wine and is very important the production of weapons and ships.

Vopos

Austro-Hungarians,many,many years ago,wanted to have a piece of that sea,the Adriatic,that once was only Venetian.

They wanted to expand their power.

They found the perfect place to do that,in a small corner of nowadays Istria.

They arrived there,well armed,against the defenceless local peoples.

Italians,Croats,Slovenes.

They just couldn't resist.

The Austro-Hungarians destroyed many towns,to rebuild them with a more "germanic" architecture.

They also built new,powerful,towns.

Those towns were true economic powers of the Adriatic.

With this region,named Adriatische Hochlander (Adriatic Highlands/Hochlands),the Austro-Hungarians could steal the Venetians,their great Economic power.

With the time,the local peoples became proud of their power,of their new identity.

And this is the story,my ,personal story,of those peoples,those towns...

So,let me take you to this mix of cultures and different landscapes.

Let me take you to...Adriatic Hochlands!

Here are some examples of what I'm going to show you in this fascinating journey...

1wqn.png

7t0x.png

buw3.png

P.S.: Places,events and names are completely invented!