• Moose

King's Bend

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A beautiful and historic British city, intersected by a great and wondrous river...

Entries in this City Journal

spursrule14

Out and About

hc65.png

vxi7.png

Thank you to everyone who helped celebrate Christmas with me in King's Bend. The Christmas entry received 4,655 views and 61 comments...wow!

Thanks for an exciting final 3 months of 2013!!

wora.png

APSMS(x2)

thank you, and yes, different layers are involved...and a lot of experimenting with different things! i do usually make isolated cities without a coherent region, however i started this city on a blank region so i can build it out if i ever make it to that point haha

:lol:

sorry i didn't get them finished..i got burned out doing it, but, time flies and Christmas 2014 will surely be here again soon!

zolork

yes, most of all the Christmas things you saw were photoshopped

:thumb:

LordBranham

Huston(x4), Schulmanator, agunter999(x5), KonstantinII, evanalmighty(x2), anytownUSA, TekindusT(x4), SimCoug(x2), Lord Branham, RepublicMaster, NMUSpidey(x2), Benedict(x5), darkaliendude(x4), UndercoverNinja12, greg59300, kellydale2003, PhatHead, Gugu3, jakis, metarvo, Leszczyk, Roger51, Fox, GreekMan, JosKawai, Titanicbuff(x2), simcityplayer15, weixc82, MilitantRadical, scott1964, dawangjia2003, Ying Blanc, younghappy, w_swietwoot, tankmank, ThomasSimpson

thank you all so much, and i hope each of you had a great Christmas!

:yes:

w3ub.png

mhj3.png

*Since the pictures in my last entry were all at night, I decided that this entry should show some of the new areas of the city again that were shown in the Christmas entry..except in the daytime!*

Good morning! And what a beautiful morning it is! How about a little drive from East End, west toward City Centre, and take a stroll along the riverfront?

(World Wars I & II Memorial Museum & Park, East End. Click image to view full-size.)

ih9n.png

(Harrods, East End. Click image to view full-size.)

chq2.png

(King George Olympic Park. Click image to view full-size.)

ooku.png

(Royal Palace, City Centre. Click image to view full-size.)

jb5o.png

Blimey! This wasn't in the forecast!

(East Riverfront. Click image to view full-size.)

kfw5.png

More to come...

hc65.png

Thanks for viewing! Let me know what you thought!

spursrule14

hc65.png

piqx.png

wora.png

NMUSpidey

awesome! we'll have ours up soon too

Benedict

thank you! i always experiment with my logos so they could always be subject to change

:boggle:

TekindusT

i just hope i won't fall behind in what i've planned out for myself

:D

Huston, Sunv, agunter999

me too!!

gkzm.png

The 183rd Annual Christmas Celebration began moments ago as hundreds of people gathered at the grounds of the Royal Palace for the commencement lighting of the city Christmas tree. For the next twenty-four days, you get to tour the city and experience all the Christmas magic King's Bend can offer, from breathtaking LED lights adorning the iconic tree-lined streets, to themed events throughout the city, to the historic shops in Eastgate. You will visit areas of the city already familiar to you, and new areas that will be covered further in future updates.

If you missed the

special announcement entry last week, be sure to read it for more about the Celebration logo, and replies from 'Court and Barrister.'

This entry will be re-published each time an image is added, so continue checking back everyday through Christmas Eve for a new image.

Enjoy the holiday magic, and Merry Christmas from King's Bend!!

DEC. 1

(The Royal Palace and City Tree. Click image to view full-size.)

sbr8.png

DEC. 2

(Historic Naval Landing - Monument & Pier, King's Village. Click image to view full-size.)

z6vg.png

DEC. 3

(The Henderson Park courtyard is transformed into a skating rink for the celebration. Click image to view full-size.)

l7b2.png

DEC. 4

(King George Olympic Park. Click image to view full-size.)

0bvd.png

DEC. 5

(Locals and tourists alike take in the sights..by land or boat..along the Riverfront area of King's Village and City Centre. Click image to view full-size.)

nwf2.png

DEC. 6

(Northgate. Click image to view full-size.)

a6qm.png

DEC. 7

(King's Bridge - East Riverfront. Click image to view full-size.)

541r.png

DEC. 8

(At the heart of the celebration is the Victorian Christmas experience at King's Village and Crossroads. Click image to view full-size.)

dxpl.png

**Sorry I'm a few days behind...sometimes these take longer to make than I want them to...I'm really not a superhuman robot

;):P ...plus you factor in real life and also my ADD too :P ...but we're not done yet!**

DEC. 9

(World Wars I & II Memorial Museum & Park - West End. Click image to view full-size.)

r75q.png

DEC. 10

(Harrods - West End. Click image to view full-size.)

p4gp.png

DEC. 11

(CHECK BACK AT 7:00 PM GMT)

DEC. 12

DEC. 13

DEC. 14

DEC. 15

DEC. 16

DEC. 17

DEC. 18

DEC. 19

DEC. 20

DEC. 21

DEC. 22

DEC. 23

CHRISTMAS EVE

More to come...

hc65.png

spursrule14

hc65.png

wora.png

Benedict

thank you! i try to come up with the most british sounding titles i can

Xander Dax

thanks!! it's very london-esque so it works

Kruness

i don't know, but better late than never!!

:D

Lordyboy96

if you knew what my plugins folder was really like, you might not wan't it! it's a disorganized mess!

VandyMan09

APSMS, Leszczyk, agunter999, Lost Realist, Bipin, slickbg56, TekindusT, Mr Saturn64, Huston, Aaron Graham, SimCoug, Prophet42

thank you all so much! take a look at what's next for king's bend!!

lsb5.png

It's almost Christmastime again, and the City of King's Bend has just released its new logo for the 183rd Annual Christmas Celebration. With the flowing and curved lines of the tree being evocative of the King's River, this new symbol of timeless tradition echoes the city's modernity as the lines reach to the top apex and crown, doubling for both Christmas tree and skyscraper whilst signifying the city's move upward and forward.

The festivities and lighting ceremony begin promptly at 12:01 AM GMT on December 1st, and run through Christmas Eve. As part of the celebration, a new image will be uploaded each day, right here on Simtropolis!

See you out on the streets, and don't forget to dress warmly!

More to come...

hc65.png

spursrule14

Court and Barrister

hc65.png

tv9c.png

wora.png

Huston

a trillion words...let's get started! aaaaaaaaayyhfg...errrrewerrewener...

:lol:

tankmank, agunter999

thanks!! i do look to london for inspiration, naturally, while trying to make this city have its own identity too

TekindusT

never!!!! muwahahahahahaha!!!!!

0:)

oyefor

thank you, and i agree!

Benedict, kelistmac, sejr99999, lsrprules2, Jeckyll, Fox

thank you all so much...now i'm going to take all of you to court

;)

w3ub.png

rimw.png

Today, we continue our tour of Northgate. In particular, the northeast end of the district, which is home to the Foundenshire County Court and the iconic Royal Courts of Justice.

(Foundenshire County Court at top, Royal Courts of Justice at bottom. Click image to view full-size.)

fiyr.jpg

barrister.jpg

(Northgate. Click images to view full-size.)

jd91.jpg

mrl6.jpg

fnlf.jpg

17py.jpg

More to come...

hc65.png

spursrule14

Amidst the Fog

hc65.png

qu4i.png

wora.png

tankmank, agunter999

it really means a lot to have people actually from Britain saying that this CJ looks authentic, thank you so much!

:}

Girafe

how nice to have a BATer stop by and comment on mine (and his) work! thank you, and thank you for your amazing MMPs!

Huston, TekindusT, Sylvio Jorge, Aaron Graham, SimCoug

thank you so much for your nice comments...are you ready for some more fog?!

w3ub.png

rimw.png

Welcome to Northgate, one of the oldest districts in the city, second only to King's Village.

Located north of King George Olympic Park and the Central Business District, Northgate is home to several landmarks and timeless historical beauty. At the heart of the district is William Hall, an historic concert and performing arts centre that is, if you will, a 'cousin' to London's own Royal Albert Hall. Currently, a new mixed-use tower is under construction on the district's east end.

(Northgate. Click images to view full-size.)

mitc.png

il4y.png

zrzq.png

gnh0.png

More to come...

hc65.png

spursrule14

Abbots and Wheat

hc65.png

w3si.png

wora.png

pasqualegiò

i agree...there's something about the mole antonelliana that just felt like it could also be british...i think it's the spire...to me the spire looks like it could double for georgian architecture

pingpong

i feel honored that you would use my pictures as your mobile wallpaper!

daybreak

thank you for the compliments!! here are the droids buildings you're looking for:

Huston, TekindusT, NMUSpidey, tankmank, Benedict, Hellken, urielgarcia, darkaliendude, dabadon5, Gugu3,

thank you so much for the comments!! i hope you enjoy our little trip out to the english countryside!!!

w3ub.png

2v5y.png

Today, we venture outside the city to visit and explore the rural areas of Foundenshire...in particular, the historic Foundenshire Abbey.

The abbey was built and occupied in the 14th century, and like many medieval abbeys today, it is nothing more than ruins. Yet, there is no denying its timeless beauty adorning the sparse wheat fields and rolling hills of northeastern Foundenshire.

Foundenshire Abbey is part of the

English Heritage registry.

(Foundenshire Abbey. Click image to view full-size.)

u1ej.jpg

(Surrounding countryside. Click image to view full-size.)

xbug.jpg

(Foundenshire Abbey. Click images to view full-size.)

dbqn.jpg

qkmn.jpg

More to come...

hc65.png

spursrule14

Of God and Kings

hc65.png

6nyj.png

wora.png

Sunv, agunter99

agunter is correct...the chimney is a park landmark left from previous times...and the paths leading to nowhere are just a design cue of the park...the fact that there are no paths around the statue area is to preserve the british lawn look

Bipin

wow, thank you so much! your bats are perfection too...and i've already got your fire station plopped in the city

Huston

thank you! and i forgot to tell you on the last reply...you said the first entry reminded you of vancouver...well, i was using the vancouver beach mod..could that be a factor? haha

:P

p.s. thank you for the botb nominations!

TMTS, Benedict, urielgarcia, simcity41, nirwanda, NMUSpidey, TekindusT, tankmank, Hazani Pratama, gman28, MilitantRadical, pingpong, SimCoug

thank you all so much once again!! hope you enjoy this one too!

w3ub.png

qrdi.png

So, what are the crossroads, you may ask? The question is not what 'are,' but what 'is.'

Located between King's Village and the Central Business District, and across the street from the Royal Palace, lies the beautiful and historic St. Thomas Cathedral and Square. In addition to Christian services, the site also hosts occasional market days and other public events. Since having to say St. Thomas Cathedral and Square is quite a mouthful, the site has been given an alternative name...Crossroads...or 'Cross'roads. The name is quite symbolic for several reasons. The cathedral and square are in fact the middle points between the two districts, and 'cross' also applies to the cathedral. When the square is being used as a venue, it is then that it is typically referred to as Crossroads. For example, an artist may be performing 'live at Crossroads.' Otherwise, most refer to it by its real name, which is much more elegant and sophisticated...or is it?

St. Thomas Cathedral and Square are part of the

English Heritage registry.

(St. Thomas Cathedral and Square. Click images to view full-size.)

a1cy.png

78kj.png

rj5p.png

ju8o.png

1loy.png

p4r4.png

fxpi.png

4h3a.png

More to come...

hc65.png

spursrule14

hc65.png

xua2.png

wora.png

dlsni, Huston, Sylvio Jorge, gman28

thank you all so much!! i decided to do the lens flare to give the images more depth and dimensionality..however, the lens flare will not be used on every image as i have decided to make it dependent on the weather/lighting conditions of the scene

SimCoug

yeah, you kinda have a thing for historic CJs don't you

:P;)

naftixe, Schulmanator, PhatHead, Benedict, Vlasky, Hazani Pratama, pingpong, TekindusT, iCities, pole475, dabadon5, sucram17

thank you all so much for the nice comments!! glad you liked what you saw..and i hope this one will be equally as exciting too!

w3ub.png

mgrp.png

When in England, there are a few things a bloke may want to remember...

First, always have an umbrella close at hand.

(Henderson Park & Central Business District. Click image to view full-size.)

ibtz.jpg

And second, don't forget to wear your wellies!

qcsrtg-l-610x610-shoes-flag-blue-red-white-wellies-union-jack.jpg

(Henderson Park. Click image to view full-size.)

3ow5.png

6p1x.jpg

nd7k.png

More to come...

hc65.png

spursrule14

hc65.png

7taa.png

Welcome to King's Bend, my newest City Journal about a beautiful and historic British city, intersected by a great and wondrous river...

As always, you can expect stunning images, and I will also be paying extreme attention to detail, and making good use of the lot editor too. I am hoping to continue to push the bounds of SC4 in order to make a magical place that looks and feels real...a place for your imagination to run wild in...a place that feels alive. I also hope to update weekly as well!

Thank you, and enjoy!!

w3ub.png

5pgt.png

In 1801, during the ongoing

Great French War, Admiral John Jervis uttered the now famous words, "I do not say, my Lords, that the French will not come. I say only they will not come by sea."

Overshadowed throughout much of Britain's history by the Thames, the King's River was a tradeless route, devoid of settlement and concern. Yet,

King George III knew the river must still be protected, regardless of how unlikely it was that Napoleon would try and use the river to invade.

In 1803, the King sent a fleet to patrol the river, and they instituted a post along a rocky and cliff-strewn bend in the river. They named this point the King's Bend, or simply, King's Bend. Today, visitors can still stand where the fleet first docked and walked up the cliff into what is now known as King's Village, and the surrounding forest. The site is part of the

English Heritage registry, and some of the original naval village still remains intact.

(click images to view super-zoom)

ai5l.jpg

oq4q.jpg

At the end of the Napoleonic Wars, the post was abandoned. However, in 1817, rumours were spreading through London of a dissenting group of French expatriates that had traveled to the King's River in order to convene at the abandoned village and plot a French invasion. In order to dispel the rumours, and quell any possible dissent, King George III dispatched a small fleet back to the site. The supposed dissenters were never found, and there was never any evidence that they had been there. If they had, it has been lost to history, and will forever remain a mystery.

Still suspicious of the French, in one of his final acts before his death, King George III proclaimed that a permanent naval post be established at King's Bend. A watchtower was erected, which still stands today.

(click image to view super-zoom)

idox.jpg

The watchtower, however, was also abandoned upon King George III's death, likely because of the growing belief that the French dissent rumours had been nothing more than the result of the king's supposed mental illness. Yet, in 1825, his son and successor King George IV looked to establish a permanent towne at the site, and finally colonize the river.

Seeking new opportunities, hundreds of Londoners moved to the area, and began a new life and a new towne. Today, King's Bend is the second-largest city in the United Kingdom, with a population of 2,143,532. The city is driven by commercial activity, tourism, an historic yet still active industrial center, and modern office and flat towers that line the banks of the bend.

(click images to view super-zoom)

ooc3.jpg

ve59.jpg

More to come...

hc65.png