• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

I love Michigan. It's my home state and it is a wonderful place to be. I've started reimagining the state, and the surrounding Great Lakes region, through SC4. Let's all see how it goes!

Entries in this City Journal

slickbg56

Hello Everyone!

It's been far, far too long. I hope life is treating each of you very well!

I'm happy to present this entry, but it feels a little bittersweet. Today we will take one last drive through the Little Traverse Bay harbor country. This city has been nearly three years in the making! I never anticipated that it would take this long, but real life always seems to pop up. That being said, I feel like this is the most complete city I have ever made. I'm pretty happy with the direction that the build has taken over the years. On to some photos!

US 31 winds its way around Little Traverse Bay, and we find ourselves starting at the southern most end of the city. This is where we find the vacation getaway that is Bay Harbor.

The village boasts a gas station, county sheriff's office, volunteer fire station, and a few small shops. Bay Shore's population jumps up in the summer as vacationers arrive at their cottages. The premium attraction is the Grand Traverse Resort & Conference Center. There is a large golf course that is quite popular!

XZp4AbJ.png

Here is a closer look at the cottages that cover the bluffs.

hGwytrL.png

Further east along US 31 we arrive in Petoskey. The city has seen some changes, the biggest change being the water front. A better tour is available in the previous city Journal that highlights the town.

DoU8B98.png

This is the updated water front. The dock space organization is much better. I also wanted to highlight the water front's industrial heritage. Gentrification has swept through the heavy industries. Many of the working class homes have also been converted into more modern living spaces.

tEPyJ5C.png

The downtown area is still a bright spot in the region!

GjPWtJq.png

East of Petoskey are the hills that surround Walloon Lake. The countryside is filled with wineries, dairy farms, and many staple crops. Bay shore, not to be confused with Bay Harbor, is visible at the bottom of the photo.

m8SaYRH.png

This is the heart of Walloon Lake. The village is home to the regions agriculture. The railway station is over a hundred years old! The large rail trestle is a popular spot for photographers. A man made channel connects the two portions of the spring fed lake. This area is popular with kayak and boating enthusiasts, as well as fishermen.

5wuKNMo.png

Farms, a church, a winery, and a few small homes dot the countryside south of Walloon Lake.

24MQE4W.png

Back on US 31, the highway winds northward along the coast line. We see the forests, dunes, hills, and the North Branch of Walloon Lake that make up Petosaga State Park.

5zJvugl.png

Whoa, watch the road...

YdEl9OD.png

More farms, more coast line.

8khpfC8.png

We've arrived at Menonaqua, just outside of Harbor Springs. The main point of interest here is the Traverse Bay Regional Airport. Menonaqua also hosts the region's fuel depot, wind farms, recycling waste center, and a train station. Three highways connect in this small town. We'll continue west on US 31 from here. Fortunately there is good signage to point travelers in the right direction.

C7bT06S.png

Hey, check out this wind farms. Logging is still taking place here as well.

JNBFIMp.png

We've nearly reached Harbor Springs. This farm stands overlooking the Pere Marquette Railway line as it approaches the town.

Od87sG0.png

We've arrived in downtown Harbor Springs. This small town is a famous vacation destination in the north country. The town has a strong tourist and industrial past. It is situated on the northwest corner of Little Traverse Bay, making a nearly perfect natural harbor.

xiwkAqk.png

And here's that harbor. This photo is looking northward.

5rpq5gm.png

The Iron Horse Hotel is still in operation both as a hotel and a train station. There are many tourist activities available along the boardwalk area. People are clearly enjoying the day.

nbyXKIm.png

The western edge of downtown is the industrial area. Manufacturing in the area has changed over the years, but Northern Lumber and Acme Boiler continue to be profitable. Harbor Mill Works closed two decades ago, but it has been revitalized as a centerpiece for the downtown. It now houses shops, restaurants, and apartments.

wJkuZRl.png

US 31 winds north at Harbor Springs, but this photo is taken looking towards the south, back towards the Bay. The land formation is Stafford's Point, an homage to the family that settled here in the early 1800's. The point is now home to multi-millionaires. At the bottom of the photo is Harbor Springs School and the Point West neighborhood. The Harbor Springs Union Hall and the industrial area can also be seen.

O02u89U.png

Well, we've come to the final photo, and it pretty much sums up life in this corner of the word. We see people of all backgrounds lining the pier. Some are fishing, some are boat watching, others swim or just enjoy the day. A sharp looking speed boat is returning from a cruise on the bay...

YZUYaGO.png

That's all from Harbor Country! Thank you all for reading over the past few years! It has been a lot of fun making this project and sharing it with all of you! I hope life continues to treat each of you very well.

Petoskey in the fall from space.png

slickbg56

Hello! How are you today?

The expected American response to that question is 'good', then we expect you to pay for it and get out.

NOT HERE AT GREAT LAKES, GREAT TIMES!

We are totally retooling that rust belt, all day and all night. So stay and be proud to state your business. Sit down, breathe the air, and stick your toes in the sand and water.

Where was I? Well, it's summer, so that means I like to do things that are not necessarily Simtrop related. I do stuff like work outrageous amounts of overtime, enjoy patio coolers with the fam, pay crazy amounts of money to attend national sporting events with friends, drive aimlessly around the country by myself because I hate to fly, chit-chat with friendly people I'll probably never talk to again, and have my truck repaired in exotic faraway repair shops.

Recently I have felt moved to make an update. Mostly to try to work within this terrific new site update, and partly to show you that I am still out there, updating a city journal that people may or may not read, in a tiny corner of what we all call the interspherewebternet.

We call it that, right?

That's quite a tangent, but I just felt like writing, and let's be real, you just felt like reading. You know you did.

Hey look! Replies!

Militant Radical: Thanks! I wanted something different, tunnels was the answer.

Schulmanator: I'll see what I can do to maintain my current level of awesomeness. Every day is a battle, let me tell yah.

47ply: Simply thank you!

Pinkindustry: Thanks! This one was a fun one to make.

Kim Sunwoo: Thank you! I do love the beach. Probably the best place on Earth.

Tonraq: I was out sailing last Saturday on my uncle's boat. It's fun, but I wouldn't have the patience to own one. I go back and forth about buying a sea-doo. I'd whip around on it until I'm bored, then drive screaming hard into the beach.

SimCoug: Thank you sir! Once again, the historic harbor shows why it's my favorite add on in recent years. Endless stuff to build with there. The stairways and paths blend together quite well.

Tonyr: Thanks!

gviper: Thanks!

Major from Bajor: I know CPR.

Themistokles: I believe it will be a perpetual construction area. People need jobs, so I'll just have them continuously building something. ANYTHING! So to answer your question, probably a Starbucks.

Neto Dari: Thank you!

Sucram17: Lotting is fun and frustrating. Like fishing, except with a computer and more beer.

agnostiskbarn: Thanks man!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright, here are a few photos of things I have worked on, but never really had a place to put them.

This journal entry is more like a cheesy clip show than a full on update, but hey, it's free. So you've got that going for yah.

Let's get to it.

gw3X2sW.png

Here we see an industrial neighborhood from Holland. The area was never actually completed, and I moved on to another project before entirely completing the city tile.

There may be a full update of Holland to include this part of town, but until then, this is the only view there is.

nDZwpSl.png

So I used this photo in the 'Show us your railroad' contest a while back.

I meant to present a likely, but fictitious, version of the railroad in my state that I never saw, but would have really enjoyed.

Michigan was once layered with railroads. A map from the late 1800's shows a state that had a massive rail network. The majority of it is gone.

This entry pays an homage to that passage in time.

6AMkE36.png

So this here is what was originally envisioned when Petoskey was made. Head over to the entry Northern Michigan Harbor Towns: Petoskey, to see the final version.

Everything I seem to build is flat, flat, flat. I wanted something different and halfway into building the downtown, I wanted some elevation. So redoing an entire map and reconfiguring a downtown was the only possible outcome. Three hours of building turned into one instant of: Nope. Delete, and the rest became what it is now.

How many of us have done that? In this case it was a happy decision.

BqEq5Tx.png

Here is that very Cleveland Christmas from back in December. A Christmas in July if you will.

The big changes that finally made their way into the finished entry can be seen with the snow, and the choice of buildings.

Seraf's seasonal buildings are fantastic. I wanted to showcase them here out of respect for the work put into them.

The trouble was getting snow all over the city, to fit in with the parade, and cover the street.

I used some white colored sand to simulate the snow, but the look just wasn't there. Ultimately, the buildings that fit best didn't fit with the surroundings.

The great part is that I just get to find another scene that works best with the buildings!

qT7v8CK.png

I'm a huge fan of summer. It is without a doubt my favorite time of the year.

For some reason I like to make fall and winter scenes the most. A contradiction.

This is another scene that was used as a contest entry. I believe it was the Christmas or the favorite season contest, I don't recall.

In this case I made one giant lot. This was the first time I had attempted something like this. It was really fun!

The building process was great. The challenge became adding the effects and learning that each effect doesn't necessarily take place exactly where the marker is.

Choosing an era and combing the architecture into it was a real fun exercise as well. This game really allows for some excellent creative outlet.

Well, there you have it. The first Great Lakes, Great Times entry on the new format. This was fun to make and I hope you enjoyed it.

I hope all of you are well and that you have a good, safe week.

slickbg56

Hello everyone! WOW! Huge support for that last entry! Thanks very much for the kind words. I really appreciate it. I've probably said it before, but the journal format allows for a great combination of history, architecture, and planning. Three things that I really enjoy. Today we are going to visit Bay View, Michigan, but first here are the replies:

Tonraq: Thanks man!

gviper: Glad you liked it.

SimCoug: Thanks! I agree, that volleyball court didn't really fit. I love playing beach volleyball so I tried to incorporate it. I'm currently lotting a new one, among other things. I like these stairs, great job on them. They fit the Colonial and Victorian architecture that I like.

Kim Sunwoo: Thank you! I usually build on a very level surface, so this is something I wanted to try. Your CJ is looking great too.

Ln X: Thanks man. There can never be enough fillers. I'm always trying to mesh textures with props or some sort of divider.

Johnnybnjp: Thanks man! rsc204 on the stex has a lot of good diagonal fillers. Magneto made the grass fillers that I used for the parks. Just search 'Grass'. It's on the first page.

mrbisonm: Wow! Great to hear from you! I appreciate the kind words. This is a great game that allows us to do this stuff.

feyss: Thank you!

tankmank: Yes, Michigan has several coastal towns that once had significant local industry. Lumber, mining, and manufacturing were once much more prevalent in the smaller towns than they are today.

Moerp: I'll find a realtor for you.

Mymyjp: Thanks! Can't wait to see you put together more CJ entries too.

mrsmartman: Ah yes. Good eye. I try to be a stickler for function and connectivity. It just looks better.

dabadon5: There's plenty more to come...

coolwiththecool2: I'm just glad there are people out there that make this stuff for the game.

Major from Bajor: Thanks very much!

White_rbt: A good thought. I am in the process of switching the entire river to a different water plop. I plan on using those rocks in the new rendition. It was tough finding a transition that is similar to the PEG water formats. The turbulences do the job pretty well.

MilitantRadical: Coming from you, that's a tall compliment! Thanks man!

NMUSpidey: Ahhhh good to hear from you as always. Yeah it was kind of a bummer on the game. It started great, and then fizzled. I almost went, ticket prices were high, so in the end I did not. I'm a big fan of Izzo, that guy knows how to get the most out of a team. I wish Mariucci would've had more success with the Lions. I couldn't agree more with your observation on Michigan towns. I wish the whole world new about them, I'm trying to bring that to the game. There is some really great stuff in this state, and the entire region. Hopefully you can make it back here soon.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks again everyone. Now, how about Bay View?

It is an unincorporated vacation community just east of Petoskey, settled in the late 1870's. The level of historic preservation is really impressive. The entire village sits up on a bluff that overlooks the bay. Here are the principle roadways in this photo. US - 31 is crossed by the pedestrian bridge.

The southern border street to Bay View is called Front Street. Central Blvd can be seen in the middle of the frame.

There is a post office and a small general store at the corner of Central and Bear Creek. The street side parking is used by both visitors and residents.

The large meeting house is a former church. The schoolhouse has been converted to shops and apartments.

We'll start our tour right in the middle of the village.

jSE5ivH.png

This place pays a pretty penny in lawn maintenance. You should know that everyone is welcome in Bay View. It is a tolerant and inclusive place.

cXL6lDh.png

The large Victorian house was once home to the president of the Little Traverse Steamship Company.

Several prominent industrialists had cottages or permanent homes in Bay View.

JerDV4g.png

Construction of shops and condos is taking place here.

The Bay View association owns large parcels of land south of Front Street. The area is now being developed.

Some residents voiced concerns over increased traffic.

That is why the intersection was rebuild with the current signal setup. Construction in this area is expected to take a little more than a year.

Pu8IlVm.png

A little further south of Bay View is this Petoskey neighborhood. The area is home to the primary school for Bay View and Petoskey.

Students from surrounding townships also attend the school. The district currently has about 500 students.

iadZqFZ.png

When the weather is this nice, you'd better get out and do something. Lots of residents support their local school sports teams.

The athletics program recently won state championships in track and basketball.

uLLNfGX.png

Let's head back towards the water. On the left side of the photo is a Bay View landmark.

The Stafford's Bay View Inn is a famous Victorian era hotel. It is still popular today. Several summer cottages sit upon a bluff that overlooks the water.

That yellow building at the middle of the photo is called the Terrace Inn.

There is a restaurant that overlooks the bluff that is popular with tourists on the main floor.

Pere Marquette #4 is passing by. The train runs from Traverse City to Harbor Springs and back.

6OjdhBI.png

Ahhh yes, the Bay View shoreline. In the Summer you can see the sunset right over Lake Michigan at the mouth of Little Traverse Bay.

You'll also notice that there is a network of trails that connects much of the bay area. I need to buy a sailboat...

nMIHf3P.png

These three cottages were once owned by different industrial families. All three sat vacant from 1947 to 1979.

They were then bought by an association that restored them to their current state. Each cottage was put back on the market and sold to private families.

All are currently available for rent. Only $1500 a week.

Real estate is the market to be in people. Too bad they did not fix the docks.

zOEaS3V.png

A couple miles south east of Petoskey is Up North Winery. The winery has a store, tasting room, and tours.

They also have a satellite store in downtown Petoskey.

The cherry wine is the most popular.

1iHFLDW.png

And there you have it. That is our tour of Bay View. I hope you enjoyed it. There are a few sites still to visit in this area.

Until then, I hope all of you have a good safe week! Thanks for reading and take care.

slickbg56

Hello everyone! I hope you are well. As far as spring days go, today was a good one. In local sports news, I went for a bike ride and then I ate a donut. There must always be balance in the universe.

Today we are going to visit a picturesque northern Michigan town: Petoskey. (Pronounced Pet-os-key, ok now say it really fast out loud, nope that's too fast, one more time, but slower, yup you've got it, moving on.)

Petoskey is one of many Michigan resort towns that gets busy in the summer, then becomes a pleasant getaway in the fall and winter. Notice I didn't mention spring. This is Michigan people, spring isn't a real season here.

Let's have a look at the downtown area. There is plenty to see and do here.

N9rwtTT.png

Yup, that is downtown Petoskey. An excellent walkable neighborhood. Need a book? Head for Hemingway's Corner. How about some new threads? Northern Exposure Outfitters has you covered. Do people even call clothes 'threads' anymore?

Who cares. I'm a Millennial, I'll do what I want.

Isn't that a nice downtown?

Let's head over to city hall.

QBp92wy.png

This is the first stop on our walking tour. There is a statue of Chief Petosega, one of the founders of the village, in the park. The statue faces out over Little Traverse Bay. A large plaza and roundabout mark the entrance to downtown from US-31. We'll walk through the plaza as we head for the waterfront.

F01c4Vd.png

Now there is a pretty sight. The waterfront has seen major redevelopment in the past several years. New condos and a multi story hotel have been built. This was once an industrial waterfront, but the boom times for lumber and fishing are long gone. A few industrial buildings remain, but shipment by boat has ceased. That's the Bear River as it reaches Little Travers Bay in the middle of the photo. You can find many Petoskey stones, the state stone of Michigan, in the water. Let's see what is going on to our west...

RQGxC82.png

Well here is one of the worst kept secrets in town: Cottage Bluff. The few cottages here are prime places to spend the summer. It's only a short bike ride from here to downtown, and the beach is right out your backdoor! Let's head back to the river.

muxtczC.png

Just upriver from the bay is this piece of local history. Several mills once occupied the space at the mouth of the river. This is the only one that remains. The river is a great place to go trout fishing, or kayaking. Let's take a look at how industry has changed in over the years.

rLEvIcS.png

Great Northern Iron & Metal was once one of the biggest employers in the area. With the changing economic climate, the factory has long since closed. Local investors recognized the potential of the building and cleaned it up using brownfield redevelopment tax credits. The result was condos, shops, and a restaurant called the 'Boiler Room'. An open air market was also started. This has become one of the most popular spots in town.

shXz7XH.png

It's a busy one there today. There are several other businesses in this old industrial neighborhood.

y02zngG.png

Bear River Lumber in the anchor business that can be seen here.

Several other local manufacturing and supply companies have seen an upturn in the past few years.

Some businesses haven't been so lucky.

UnHaIg5.png

What you're seeing here is all that remains of Allied Chemical & Mineral. The site is heavily contaminated and there have been a few arson fires here over the years. The city is desperate to have the building taken down and redeveloped similarly to the Northern Iron and Metal property.

apLLgN2.png

Just south of Allied C&M is the Little Traverse Furniture company. The business is doing very well.

Visitors to the area often enjoying checking out the architecture of the homes in this neighborhood. Let's head back for downtown.

bh6sZyA.png

Here we are at the Petoskey Brewing Company, located at the corner of Hemingway and Water Front Drive. The building once housed a wire factory, but it was converted to this restaurant about 12 years ago. The business has won several awards for their beers and burgers.

Well that's all for this tour. Time to call it a day. Book a room at 'The Perry', one of the finer hotels in the area.

nJ8wl3J.png

The hotel and train station are two well known historic landmarks in town. The train station once welcomed travelers from all over the Midwest. It now mostly sees local instate tourist traffic. Looks like there is quite a party going on at the courtyard of The Perry.

They're probably celebrating what a nice day it has been.

Hope you enjoyed the tour. Petoskey is one of my favorite towns to visit. The area is very scenic.

This entry is the first in a series about the harbor towns of northern Michigan.

Thanks for reading! I hope you all have a good safe week!

Let's all hope for a Spartan victory on Saturday!!!

slickbg56

Hello Simtrop! It has been far too long! Thank you very much for the awesome support from the last entry. It was great to see how people enjoyed it.

Well, have you heard? FINALLY, the calendar says March. What a long cold slog in the tundra this winter has been. Here’s a recap: In November it snowed, in December it didn’t, then came January, and would you believe it, it snowed some more. Then, just when you thought it couldn’t get any colder and snowier, February showed up. The coldest, most frigid month I’ve ever lived through here in the Great State of Michigan. BUT! There is hope people! IT IS MARCH! That means Big10 Basketball (Go State)! The Final Four!

And then on April 6, at 1:08 PM EST, baseball is back in Detroit, and summer is on the way.

Look out people because here comes happiness! I CAN SEE IT!

So here is a taste of what summer means to me.

Before the Tiger’s played at their current home at Comerica Park, they played at Tiger Stadium, located at the corner of Michigan & Trumbull, in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit, Michigan.

This photo shows as it would look on an early spring day.

Today, the field remains, as does the entry level gate off Michigan Ave., and the huge flag pole that sat out in center field.

suxlZGZ.png

I went to quite a few games here before the stadium was torn down. You couldn’t see the field from the street level, but you could see the lights as we approached on I-96. You’d enter the gate off Michigan and start walking up a ramp on to the concourse level.

That’s where you saw the field, and it made you stop for a second and enjoy something that just looks cool.

To me baseball means summer, no more cold, no more snow, just long days outside, games with family and friends, trips to Lake Michigan, dinners outside,

and the Tigers on the radio.

Thanks for reading. I hope to have a larger update soon. I hope each of you are well in your lives and I hope you have a safe week!

slickbg56

Hello Everyone! The holiday season has returned again, right on schedule. Fortunately, the weather in my little corner of Michigan hasn't been frightful this year. I'm thankful for that! I had enough snow last winter to choke a reindeer. I could have used all the snow in my yard to build an 18 foot (or 5.4864 meters for the rest of Earth) snowman.

I kid you not.

Whoa. I'm getting off track here. How about those replies:

__A: And I love making construction stuff! That's some Sim City teamwork right there.

Mymyjp: Thank you! The final result took some patience. Let me tell yah, many a draft lot was left on the bench.

Jmsepe: Thanks! Many of those props are from the Historic Harbor project. Some of them were from bipin, some from murmik, some Maxis stuff, and I don't really remember where the rest came from. I didn't create a single one. I just put them how I thought they would look best.

I very much appreciate the people that make this stuff.

47ply: Thank you good sir! Good to hear from a fellow Michigander as usual.

MilitantRadical: Thanks! Your stuff has been amazing recently. That Hanging Garden project was fantastic.

Huston: Thank you! I'd never seen a bridge construction in SC4 either. It was fun trying to get it to work.

TekindusT: Thanks man! There have been a lot of great updates from players all over lately.

SimCoug: Hey thanks! If it hadn't been for the Historic Harbor project it wouldn't be here. The props fit my building style as of late. The whole idea stemmed from wanting to incorporate the pile driver barge into a CJ. Thanks for adding that picture! That's a great one to use.

Well Christmas is just ten days away. I believe we are at the point where there are lords-a-leaping, or ladies dancing, possibly some sort of pipers piping. I think I'm bordering on copyright infringement here. Anyway, now is the time of year for Christmas parades! Many communities across the Great Lakes region have a big parade to celebrate. The big cities like Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, and Milwaukee all have spectacular parades. Cleveland has a big parade too! AND one of the all time greatest Christmas films, 'A Christmas Story' was filmed here.

So let's all check out how the Cleveland Christmas parade looked in 1950!

It's 10 AM! Find a place to sit or stand and take in the spectacle.

Zf2Zvwf.png

Holy cow! It's the fire department! Wow, it's the cops!

kjbDTF6.png

Looks like some folks scored some premium seats on the 5th floor of Higbee's.

It was a little chilly on this Saturday Morning, but some brave souls decided to ride their bikes.

BfyF9BA.png

Hey there's the big man himself! Looking good in the finale spot, riding his wheeled sleigh down the avenue.

Good thing those fellas are there at the end to clean up after this dog and pony show.

MsVHRxi.png

It's early in the day, but these men are hard at work to make sure that tonight's tree lighting goes perfect.

Some guy whacked his thumb with a hammer and wove a tapestry of obscenity that is still hanging over Lake Erie.

The weatherman says that there's going to be five inches of snow before the day is over.

ruuDEzH.png

Well score one for the weatherman. The snow started right about noon and came down fast and furious throughout the day.

The heavy snow settled to flurries as the ceremony began.

Everyone enjoyed the music and the hot chocolate flowed non-stop. Heavy blue coats have been quite popular this season...

FyagTZJ.png

Thanks for reading! Enjoy the Holidays the best way that you can. I hope you all have a good, safe week!

slickbg56

Whoa! Thanks for all the support everyone! I really appreciate it!

Ln X: Thanks! Your recent suburb entry is looking great too.

Sexysark:P : Thank you! This is a very interesting historical time to model.

TekindusT: Thanks man! I wanted a place to showcase it. Chicago seemed as good as any. Your recent CJ entry is awesome!

Schulmanator: Thanks! It is really great that we are at the point with this game that we can all bring out the details that we want.

Tonraq: The time I've spent exploring the city has mostly been on the north and west side. My few visits to the south side inspired this.

Gizza Dah Kidd: YES! A classic movie.

MilitantRadical: Thank you! There are so many good ways to show this era.

Mymyjp: I appreciate that! I don't believe I've seen that movie.

Naftixe: HA! You've got it! That skit is timeless fun with the English language.

SimCoug: A big thanks to you for this stuff, good sir! I was browsing the HH props in the lot editor and came across the poster. That one item led to this creation. When I found the workers sitting down, I knew I had to set them on the billboards. Thanks very much for this stuff! It adds a whole new level.

VMIUJcadet09: Thanks! The city is really something special.

fan o SC4: Well thank you very much. It's good that we can all share our stuff with each other.

Simul8ter8: Thanks it was a great build! Speaking of great builds...

Let's talk about one of the greatest construction projects in Michigan history, The Mackinac Bridge!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The idea to create a bridge to connect the two peninsulas started long ago. The construction of the Brooklyn Bridge inspired the locals all the way back in 1884. The people weren't really sure how to build the bridge, but they believed it was possible. Roadway improvements in the early 20th century allowed more people to travel up north. Tunnels and causeways were proposed as a means to cross the waters, but they were never built.

In 1923 the state established a ferry system to bring people across the straits, a nickname for the connecting point of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. The ferry system became highly utilized, exceeding capacity, and gradually becoming expensive and inefficient. Many people became united in making the bridge a reality. Studies were conducted throughout the 1930's and a route for the bridge was determined. However, two huge obstacles, The Great Depression and World War II, brought the vision to a halt.

Following this period, postwar tourism of northern Michigan made the bridge a necessity. It wasn't unheard of to wait for four or five hours to cross the straights by ferry. Construction began in May of 1954.

Let's have a look at what Mackinaw City looked like during the mid 1950's.

Well, here it is. The tip of the mitten. There's Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse in the park. This neighborhood has a few small hotels and shops. It was early summer when these photos were taken. There appears to be a few tourists. They're probably buying fudge. You haven't truly lived until you've eaten Mackinac Fudge.

It's great with ice cream.

PZ6AYYt.png

So this is a big construction site. That's I-75 being built on the left side of the photo. Looks like they took down quite a few trees. The causeway for the bridge is being built on the right. Most of the construction has moved offshore. That warehouse will probably be torn down soon. You can see a few tourists driving their cars out on the beach for a look at the bridge. Fort Michilimackinac is at the top of the photo. The visitor center and some additional parking are across the street. Fun fact: You are not permitted to pass 4th grade in Michigan unless you are capable of spelling Michilimackinac, from memory.

That's what they told me, anyway.

Md83Akz.png

Here we can see iron workers hard at work putting the girders together. Several barges and cranes are being used.

EFl3RhI.png

Alright, so a closer view shows that a few of them may be on break. Hey, they earned it.

Z9KIJoD.png

Looks like some dredging needs to be done. Good job dredger guys.

xSkA3fQ.png

Here is where the bridge deck rises high above the water. This was done to allow lake freighters to pass underneath. The huge suspension towers are just outside this frame. The camera ran out of film, that's why there are no pictures.

GtKroWs.png

Here's a close up of the supports under construction. This was really tough work. Many people put a tremendous effort into building this great bridge.

IHBnh6r.png

So there you have it. That is how the Mackinac Bridge was built. The bridge was completed in 1957.

It was been carry cars and posing for pictures ever since!

Thanks for reading! I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and a safe week. Take care.

slickbg56

Hello, welcome!

Thanks for the views and comments!

VMIUjcadet09: Oh there is plenty more to come! Few and far between at times, but it'll show up sooner or later.

Ln X: One of my all time favorites! Good catch!

TekindusT: Ha! I'm not the most stylin' dude, but the city is.

pinkindustry: Good to hear! Mine too. Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco, and New York are my favorites. No particular order there.

Pwel28: Thanks man! Those tiles are fun to mix and match.

jmsepe: Thanks! The El is fun to ride too.

Tonraq: Thank you! It can be tricky at times, but we all learn as we go.

Schulmanator: Thank you good sir!

NMUSpidey: Good to hear from you! Thanks!

SimRico: Thanks! Tiger Stadium forever indeed! In fact... that is a good lead in to this update... Well played SimRico.

So, I'm not much of a fan of winter. It seems like it came way to early this year. I've got 5 inches of snow in my yard. Not yooper deep, but hey it's something. So I thought we'd take a look at a nicer time of year. Springtime in Chicago. What would springtime be without baseball? Not much, I can tell yah that. Here's how things looked back in 1940 on Chicago's south side. I don't happen to know the name of the streets in this photo, but everybody looks to be having a great time on this lively corner. The bar appears to be open. The fire station looks quiet. There's a coal train on the highline. Likely headed for a steel mill.

TatPVvQ.png

The City That Works.

7PAiepG.png

Who's on first? I'll tell yah tomorrow, ahhh I forget how that bit goes. It's funny though.

Thanks for reading! Have a great week everyone! Stay safe.

slickbg56

Hello everyone! Time for a short update.

First, Great To hear from everyone!

jmsepe: Thanks! Glad you liked it!

Schriefer: Thanks man! Much appreciated.

SimRico: Always good to hear from a fellow Michigander. I'd like to remake Tiger's Stadium someday, or at least create the current lot.

sarthakknight: Thanks! The road network is really difficult to layout. The industrial areas will come together someday. There will be lots of big manufacturing plants.

GoKingsGo: You should visit someday. It's not all bad. I like your avatar. California is great place.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, there are several awesome cities to explore all across the Great Lakes.

Today's 'mini-update' has yellow mustard, onions, relish, hot peppers, and celery salt. Chicago style. Ok, so It doesn't have any of that. The internet is not food, but hey! Here are pictures of buildings!

Although there is no 'real world' part of the city that resembles this, I took inspiration from my many trips to the city, and came up with this scene. Chicago's architecture and busy streets are the highlight here. I hope to do a few more of these and I hope you enjoy them.

NewCity-Nov18021412881523_zpsbe342855.png

A late fall afternoon.

NewCity-Aug9021412881410_zps553d6c90.png

A warm June night.

That's all for now. There will be more Chicago Snapshots in the future. They are pretty interesting to build. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

slickbg56

First off, some replies.

LN X: Thanks! Your use of MMP is also exceptional.

Schriefer: Thanks!

Wallibuk: Glad you enjoyed it!

Infamousjbe: Thanks man!

Caracortada: Much appreciated!

feeroz123: Thanks man! It was a lot of fun doing the lot editing for that photo. That was the most lot editing I'd ever done.

NMUSpidey: Always great to hear from another from another Michigander! Thanks!

PaulMC: Thanks! It is a fun sport.

Spursrule14: Thanks very much. I'm glad your team won!

Benedict: Indeed, nothing beats a quality tale.

SimRico: Thanks man! I love the energy of your posts.

Thanks very much for all the comments and views! It's great that we all have a creative and positive game to play.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Well folks, Downtown Detroit in SC4 has become my white whale.

It is quite difficult to follow Augustus B. Woodward's layout based on the limitations of the game, the geography of the downtown area, and the buildings themselves. Here is a look at his design.

blogentry-35200-0-26679400-1406747033_th

My first attempt at a true 'Detroit Remodel' began in mid 2007. I made several updates over time as the BSP, and numerous other simtrop members, turned out their fantastic buildings. I really appreciate all that they have done for the game. I believe this is probably one of the cities I came back to and tinkered with the most over the years. Anybody else do that?

Detroit-Apr295731406744961_zps62c6dac9.png

I took a second swing in late 2011. The entire region is NUMEROUS large city tiles. I terrafromed them into the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan and the surrounding lakeshores regions of Canada, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Ohio. You know, Big 10 Country, sans Canada. The build lasted on and off into the summer of 2013. It became my first attempt at a CJ. I rebuilt Detroit and two of the adjoining large tiles. Here is that region's version of Downtown.

Detroit-Mar79851406744619_zps727c8718.png

In March of 2014 I made another attempt. The main reason? Every time I opened that massive region, it looked overwhelming. This time I made a region of six small city tiles. The plan was for each tile to claim a name from a Detroit district. I never made it past Downtown. I found that there were too many connectivity issues with the streets. This was the result:

Downtown-Jan16001406745070_zpsfef57e82.png

I have decided to make one last shot at rebuilding the city. Here are the results that I have come up with so far. I made a region with only one large city tile. I believe this has helped guide the focus. There has been quite a bit of lot editing. See if you can pick out the buildings that have been done.

Looking north from the riverfront.

Detroit-Jan8001406741226_zpsa4831e31.png

South from Grand Circus

Detroit-Jan8001406741328_zps039e53bc.png

Future Sites.

Detroit-Jan8001406741283_zpsb88b9967.png

Terminus of Woodward Ave.

Detroit-Jan8001406741365_zps9a11ca54.png

Campus Martius

Detroit-Jan8001406741397_zps301f046a.png

211 W. Fort & the Penobscot Block

Detroit-Jan8001406741570_zps94f140ea.png

The stand ins for 1001 Woodward & Hudson's.

Detroit-Jan8001406741640_zps9b65093b.png

You'll notice that there is no people mover. Well that's because... nobody likes the people mover...

So that's what has been built so far. I'll add on to this city and continue to work on others as time allows. Comments and criticisms are welcome as always. Thanks for reading this update and have a great week!

slickbg56

There are epic stories of success, adventure, and tragedy that originate from the Great Lakes region. Some you have heard, some you have not. A few of these stories have survived for generations and become legends. The best of these tall tales can be found here in LEGENDS OF THE GREAT LAKES, an occasional series within our retooling tour. This installment will feature Father Jacques Marquette, French missionary and explorer.

Jacques Marquette's life began in Laon, France on June 10 of 1637. He became a missionary at age 17.

This is what he may have looked like back in the day.

blogentry-35200-0-13114000-1397418462_th

He arrived in New France in 1666. From there he traveled up the St. Lawrence and into the Great Lakes. He was assigned to an area of what is now Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He and his companions founded Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan in 1668. The establishment of this community is recognized as the third oldest European settlement west of the Appalachian mountains.

FoundingtheSettlementSaultSteMariefinal_zpsc94f6aad.png

Father Marquette spent his time with the indigenous people of the Midwest region. By living with them, he became one of the first recorded Europeans to learn of river and overland routes connecting the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River. In 1673 he began exploring these routes with Louis Jolliet, another well known French-Canadian explorer. The exploration of this region continued throughout 1674. He was returning to the mission at St. Ignace in 1675, when he fell gravely ill.

He died on the shore of Lake Michigan, near present day Ludington, in May of 1675.

Pere Marquette Beach at Muskegon, Michigan is named in his honor. This photo was taken near sunset on a hot July evening. There are still a few people in the water and it appears to be very calm. Paddle boarding has become popular in West Michigan in recent years.

Looks like the Coast Guard is prepping for some night time training.

PereMarquetteBeachMuskegon-Copy_zps82a81122.png

Apparently, Pere Marquette was a pretty good guy in life, because people named a WHOLE bunch of stuff after him. There's a whole county and city named after him in the Upper Peninsula! Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois all have communities with his namesake. There are also some natural areas named for him. Here is the Pere Marquette State Forest in Michigan. It's a popular place for winter activities.

PereMarquetteStateForestNearCadillacfinal_zps942524e9.png

A notable company also took on his name. The Pere Marquette Railway formed after a merger of three well known Michigan railroads. The company had track that joined many communities all over the state, the upper Midwest, and parts of Canada. Here is one of their trains as it passes through Lansing, Michigan in June of 1938. Looks like there was a lot going on that day.

The farm and factories were busy, but people were still able to take a break for ice cream. Just don't speed down Grand River Avenue...

PereMarquetteLansing-Copy_zps6cf6bc1b.png

The Pere Marquette Railway merged with C&O in 1947. Some of the original track that the company once managed remains. Amtrak named one of its passenger trains "Pere Marquette" in 1984. The train travels from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Chicago, Illinois and back, each day. Here is the train as it heads towards Grand Rapids on a warm evening in late May.

AmtrakinVriesland_zps7e5a3b3b.png

The last Saturday in April is the opening day of trout season throughout Michigan. I look forward to this day each year. I fish a stretch of the Pere Marquette River near Custer, Michigan. I travel here with my family and friends each year. It's a good time. This spring has been especially rainy, so I anticipate the water to be high and muddy, much like it is in this photo.

TroutfishingthePMnearCuster_zpsba12bada.png

Thanks for reading! The first photo and the historical information came from Wikipedia. HEY! A big thanks for the Trixie for this CJ! I hope everyone has a safe week.

slickbg56

Hello everyone! There is still a lot to see in Holland. Today's update features the Windmill Island Gardens, Window on the Waterfront, and the Macatawa River.

The first stop is 1 Lincoln Ave., home address of some special landmarks in the city.

WindmillIslandPark1_zpsb8f07638.png

There are many shops here at Windmill Garden Park. You can buy tulips, fudge, wooden shoes, cookies, all the finer things in life. There are also a few nice restaurants, and the Prins Willem van Oranje Grand Hotel. That's the hotel on the lower left side of the picture. Looks like there is quite a party on the patio.

WindmillIslandPark2_zps0ffecf26.png

Here is the footbridge that connects the commercial district with the gardens. The island is situated in a marshy area along the Macatawa River. Windmill Island hosts several weddings and special events year round. Looks like something important is going on right now...

Footbridge3_zps757b49ef.png

Here is De Zwaan Windmill. It was brought to Holland, Michigan from The Netherlands in 1964. The windmill was originally constructed in Krommenie in 1761. It has held up very well considering its age! The Island has a large open space where people can play sports or get out and enjoy the flowers and wildlife. The landscape is very well kept.

WindmillIsland4_zps731390ab.png

There is an extensive marsh along the river. The wetlands become dense as the river enters Lake Macatawa. This photo shows a small branch of the river as it runs through the marsh.

Marshland5_zpsc13a5b20.png

Apparently the fish are biting. The bugs might be too. Hopefully this guy brought his bug spray...

Fisherman6_zps932f7b89.png

Here's a group of kayakers. Let's see what they're up to...

Kayakers7_zpseb8e27ba.png

It's official: They're kayaking.

Kayakerscloseup8_zps1c3675a4.png

Back on land, we'll take a walk through Window on the Waterfront. It's a park that borders the wetlands, Windmill Island, and the downtown area.

Windowonthewaterfront9_zpscd34a8d1.png

WindowontheWaterfront10_zpsce4965c2.png

WaterTreatmentplant11_zps9d784a23.png

At the west end of the park is the Holland Cleanwater Plant. This also happens to be where today's tour ends. I hope you all enjoyed the sights. There is still plenty more to see. Thanks for reading and have a great week!

slickbg56

Hello everyone! Did you know West Michigan has several great places to visit? Well Holland, Michigan is one of them. It is a community that has been recognized as one of the happiest and most beautiful places in America. It is also a place that is rich with Michigan history. There is a lot to see in this town! Today you should grab a good pair of shoes, we're going for a walk along 8th street. It's the downtown area of the Tulip City.

1_zpsc4a6f92f.png

This is the east entrance to the downtown area. We're currently looking to the west. The intersection is 8th & Lincoln. 8th travels east and west, while Lincoln goes north & south. The Holland Train Depot is situated along the railroad. The line runs from Chicago to Grand Rapids. The Holland Interurban runs through the downtown area. It's a division of the West Michigan Transit Authority. The large building across from the depot is the New Holland Brewing Company. Looks like there is some major construction taking place across the street. Good time donuts is located at the corner of 9th & Lincoln on the left side of the photo...

2_zps4b007688.png

This is the intersection of 8th & Columbia. The chess park is popular. More construction is also taking place along 8th street. The Holland post office, a tavern, and a bank also sit at the intersection.

3_zpsd533ccb0.png

We've reached 8th & College. 7th street runs along the top of the frame. The first floor of the City View Hotel can be seen. There are numerous bars and restaurants along this stretch of 8th street. One of the local theatres is at the bottom of the photo.

4_zps2d4eb9c9.png

This is 8th as it runs between College (bottom of frame) and Central (top of frame). There are numerous shops along this route. Looks like there are quite a few people out today.

5_zps54de910c.png

Here is 8th & Central. The Warm Friend Tower is seen here at the corner. A bank, shops, and restaurants can also be seen at this intersection.

6_zps21ebd639.png

8th & River is the intersection seen here. The photo is looking towards the North. The architecture is very impressive in this part of town.

9_zpsc6d30398.png

This is 8th & Maple. It's the western end of downtown. The Holland Police Department is at the bottom of the picture. Other notable sites are the Holland Public Market and the Holland Civic Center.

10_zpsfff4a535.png

Well it's getting dark. Time to head back east. Check out the night lights along the way. We're back at 8th & River.

11_zpsb333ba2d.png

8th & Central. This view looks off to the south.

12_zpsadfec092.png

We're back at 8th & College. It may be late, but it's still busy. Time to find a place to stay.

13_zps360da5be.png

As a bonus, here is Centennial Park during Tulip Time. This is a night shot.

14_zpse12e0abb.png

And here is the daytime!

Thanks for visiting a 'retooled' downtown Holland. There is plenty more of this city to see...

slickbg56

There are epic stories of success, adventure, and tragedy that originate from the Great Lakes region. Some you have heard, some you have not. A few of these stories have survived for generations and become legends. The best of these tall tales can be found here in LEGENDS OF THE GREAT LAKES, an occasional series within our retooling tour. This installment will feature Roaring Dan Seavey, The Freshwater Pirate of the Great Lakes.

You've never heard of Roaring Dan Seavey? Well, read on and get educated...

Dan Seavey was born in 1867, far from freshwater whitecaps, and lake effect snows, in the town of Portland, Maine.

DanSeavy2_zps2bce3ed6.png

He was drawn to life on the sea from an early age. Dan became a sailor at 13 and had a brief stint with the Navy during his late teens. He took time away from sailing to settle in Northern Wisconsin. Marinette, Wisconsin to be exact. Dan began to raise a family, and then moved south to Milwaukee where he started a farm.

TheFarm_zps153dbe9b.png

He also ran a saloon and worked as a fisherman. His many life skills made him a prosperous man.

Thisisthelife_zpsad165380.png

In 1898, Dan heard news of prospectors finding piles of gold in the Alaskan gold rush. He was hungry for adventure and wanted to strike it rich.

Terribleidea2_zps924aa2ff.png

He took a big risk, and headed off to mine for his fortune. Unfortunately, the journey cost him almost everything...

Terribleidea_zpsf300d439.png

Financially ruined from his expedition, he returned home in 1900. His hopes of riches had forced him into rags.

CareerChange_zps5d1049e5.png

He used his last pennies to move his family north to Escanaba, Michigan. Once there, he recalled his seafaring days, and took possession of a schooner he named the Wanderer. Dan had fallen far from his fruitful life of fishing, farming, and business. His greed lead him down a dark, unethical path. Dan Seavey gathered a group of men and they all set out on Lake Michigan as pirates.

Shamelessplunderin_zpsa961f3bc.png

Dan committed all sorts of crimes as he sailed the lakes. Some of his underhanded tricks included darkening lighthouses, or moving marker buoys. This caused ships to inadvertently smash into unseen rocks, or beach on sandbars. Once the ship was helpless, Roaring Dan would strike and steal the goods on board.

Stealin2_zps70237ce7.png

Roaring Dan's most notorious crime took place in the summer of 1908. He pulled into the harbor at Grand Haven, Michigan and spotted a schooner named the Nellie Johnson. He decided to hijack the ship. He made friends with the crew and provided them with all the alcohol they could drink. Once the crew was intoxicated beyond all reason, Dan tossed them overboard, and took off with the ship. The Wanderer followed close behind.

NellieJohnson_zps09d7bde5.png

Roarin' Dan's illegal ways had made him a public enemy. He was pursued by the law and arrested a few days after making off with the Nellie Johnson. He was charged with piracy and taken to Chicago for trial.

Capture_zps88ac314e.png

Shockingly, the owner of the Nellie Johnson failed to appear at the trial. The charges were dropped and Dan was set free. For the rest of his days he claimed that he had actually won the Nellie Johnson in a poker game aboard the ship.

2jacks_zps6762eba2.png

Even more surprising was how Roaring Dan spent the twilight of his sailing career: He took a job with the U.S. Marshal Service. His tasks? Fighting smuggling, poaching... and piracy, on Lake Michigan.

officerseavey_zps3af2739a.png

The Wanderer burned in 1918, forcing Dan to switch to a 40 foot motor boat.

Wandererfire_zpsde505207.png

He finally retired from the lakes in the late 1920's. Dan Seavey died in 1949 and was buried in Marinette, Wisconsin.

NewCity-Jan18001380226738_zps92ee7191.png

So there you have it. The tale of Roaring Dan Seavey. Moral of his story: 'Don't be a criminal'. I had heard his story before, and I sourced Wikipedia for most of the information.

blogentry-35200-0-31222600-1380228023_th

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! Have a good, safe week!

slickbg56

The leaves are changing, the wolves are howling, and there's a strong wind out of the northwest. That means it is time to leave Isle Royale. There are a few destinations to choose from at the ferry dock. I decided to sail south to Copper Harbor, on the northern tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula. The crossing was a little rough as an early fall storm made its presence felt. I saw this 'salty', a freighter that comes up the St. Lawrence into the Great Lakes, riding the waves during the crossing. It was likely headed to take on a load of wheat on the Canadian side of Lake Superior.

RoughLakeSuperior_zps79368669.png

I finally arrived in Copper Harbor: The northernmost town in the northernmost part of Northern Michigan (north enough for yah?). Needless to say, after all that weather, I was more than happy rest my sea legs. This is the site that greets us upon arrival at the ferry dock.

CopperHarborWaterfront_zpsb5829cc1.png

The business district is nice. You can buy some lumber to make reinforcements to your roof before 3 feet (roughly a meter for our non-American friends) of snow gets plopped on it, you can grab a beer (if you're of age, mind you) and a pasty (It'll be more interesting if you look it up yourself), or you can watch traffic at the town's only stoplight (I like parentheses).

CopperHarborBusinessDistrict_zps098a48fa.png

Oh, and the houses are nice too.

Agoodplacetoretire_zpsc1437457.png

The Keweenaw Peninsula was historically, a major copper mining region. The middle 1800's saw a large influx of miners, many of Finnish, Cornish, or Italian heritage. Little of the once booming mining industry remain today, but there is evidence of abandoned mines and smelters scattered across the peninsula.

AbandonedCopperMine_zpsa672939f.png

AbandonedCopperSmelter_zps048c757f.png

Eagle Harbor is another beautiful stop in the Keweenaw. Looks like most of the vacationers have gone home for the year. Looks like they took their boats with them too.

SpringtimeinEagleHarbor_zpsc655f398.png

Logging is an important industry and Michigan has trees. Did you know that wood is in all sorts of stuff? It is in paper, houses, sawdust, and Christmas trees. These logger fellas here are loggin like it is nobody's business! Log on brother loggers. Log on.

Logging_zps8014bc16.png

West of this scene is the town of Calumet, one of the largest towns on the Keweenaw. This gem may have lost some of its population since the prosperous mining days, but it hasn't lost its historic luster. Here is a view of the central business district and some neighborhood homes. The Calumet Theater is one of the many important sites in town. It gets pretty cool in Calumet when the wind comes of Lake Superior, so those swimming pools are heated!

DowntownCalumet_zps62fe962f.png

The last stop is the village of Lake Linden. Another community with a history steeped in mining. The tourist trade is the primary means of support today. Warm weather vacationers fish and boat around Torch Lake, while the cold months welcome in the skiers and snowmobilers. Many large vacation homes have been built throughout the neighborhood. Long time residents are a bit frustrated by the repetition of the architecture, but life goes on.

DowntownLakeLinden_zps3c99fe9d.png

There is one last stop to make. Near the Houghton Memorial Airport is a monument that represents this little corner of the world. The Copper Country Memorial pays respect to the men who came from the far corners of the Earth, to pull iron ore from it. The miners helped build this region, and their efforts helped build a country.

HoughtonAirport_zpsb0bba86d.png

Time to take to the sky! Here's a last look at the region from the air.

KeweenawFromtheAir_zps294e0860.png

Up, up, we go, where we land... nobody really knows. Somewhere in Michigan is a good bet!

Thanks for reading. I very much appreciate all the comments and support. That, combined with browsing the other CJ's, drives me to make more stuff. If I get specific questions, I answer them by message. We all sure can do a lot with this game, huh? I like being a nerd and reading about history and writing stuff. This game and site provide a good outlet for that and I think all of us here appreciate those things. I also have a great deal of respect for the lotters, modders, and batters, that have made this game what it is today. Huge thanks. I hope you all have a good, safe week!

slickbg56

So there I was, headed out of Detroit. The game plan was to get on 94, shoot back west to the junction with 31, and head north. MAN IS THAT FREEWAY SYSTEM CONFUSING! I drove a few miles of concrete, named for a half dozen people, and before you know it I'm northbound on 75 and BOOM! There's the Mackinac Bridge! Hard to believe one can get THAT off track in this age of maps, vehicle navigation systems, and public places with humans to help point the correct way, but I did. So there's that. I figured as long as I was up this way, I'd do some show and tell with some less traveled parts of Michigan. That brought me to Isle Royale. The forgotten rock that sits 6 hours north of the Keewenaw by boat. Forgotten because it is one of the least visited national parks in the states. Rock because... it's made of rock. Really, really, old... rock. So here's the western half of Isle Royale.

IsleRoyale-Jul22641378146747_zpsc502c960.png

The ferry leaves Houghton and arrives at Windigo. There is a dock, an information center, and a few cabins. Beyond them is miles of fresh air, cool clear water, owl infested trees, sharp rocks, mosquitos, biting flies, and non-existent cell service. Ahhhh nature.

IsleRoyale-Jul30641378146778_zps825b9b57.png

Here is one of the stranger fishing tournaments you will ever see: Man vs. Great Blue Heron. I think I just gave the Discovery Channel their next great idea... You're welcome America.

IsleRoyale-Apr20671378149519_zps27e64365.png

Looks like he found a better spot. No privacy intruding birds of prey here.

IsleRoyale-Jun19641378146659_zpscb5e32e1.png

Who goes diving in Lake Superior!?!? These brave fools. There are actually many shipwrecks to dive near Isle Royale. I don't see one here, so I'm not sure what they are expecting to see here other than cold and dark, but I'm sure they had fun.

IsleRoyale-Apr11651378146913_zps36f52364.png

Here are a group of folks having a heated discussion about which path to take! Is this a living Robert Frost poem or what!? Let's follow them! IT IS SURE TO BE NON-STOP ADVENTURE!!!

IsleRoyale-Apr20671378149606_zps126f60fd.png

Nope.

IsleRoyale-Apr30651378147009_zps9036bf7c.png

There are many sights to see along the trails. Here are some of Isle Royale's more famous residents. They are locked in a perpetual power struggle with some angry wolves.

IsleRoyale-May8651378147053_zps56e92b8d.png

There are many great places to set up camp. This does not look like one of them. These people will wake up with severe back pain. Mark my words.

IsleRoyale-Apr25651378146973_zpsb4721a25.png

I do not mean to be offensive here, but it needs to be said: Beavers are the best dam builders. Like most professional carpenters, beavers are union, and it's Labor Day, so they are not at work. That is why there are none in this picture.

IsleRoyale-Apr20671378149342_zpsaaa1e2e1.png

And now with color.

IsleRoyale-Sep1661378149307_zpscae5626f.png

So that's the western half of Isle Royale. Pretty cool, huh? Lot's of trees, air, and look at all that nature. Well, I hope you enjoyed it. I have no idea what I will post next. It will be a surprise to us all. Myself included. Have a great week everyone!

slickbg56

Time to wrap up this three stage tour of the largest city in the Great Lakes State. Today's focus will be on Detroit's East Side and Midtown.

Admittedly, the city is more than just a fixer-upper. It has deep, serious problems that have been stewing together for over 60 years. The trouble has gone on much longer than the past few years of mainstream media coverage. Can these issues be resolved? People propose answers, and progress is being made in several areas, but the truth is, only time, and positive human effort, will make a difference. We do know this: Over time, social and economic issues have desolated parts of the city. No where is that more evident than the east side of Detroit. This area has seen more factories close, more people move, and more degradation, than any other.

Theeastside_zps5bdd486a.png

Last Thanksgiving, my grandma was telling stories of her days growing up in Detroit in the 1930's. I told her we should use Google Maps to have a look at her old house. She had lived on Venice Ave. at Harper. Her father had been a police officer that worked out of a precinct on Cheyne, and her mother raised 6 kids. Well, we were pretty surprised when we found that her former home was no more. That conversation inspired these photos. Here's a look at life then...

Then_zpsbb6ce57a.png

And now...

Now_zpsfd21f601.png

And seen here standing tall over East Palmer Avenue, that masonry monster, weighing in at 200,000 tons and covering

40 acres: The Packard Plant!

ThePackardPlant_zps706f6691.png

They are assembling Cadillacs over in Milwaukee Junction...

CadillacAssemblyPlant_zpsaf4d957c.png

And it's business as usual in Pole Town East. That's the Detroit Transportation Department at the top of the frame. Just to be clear, this photo was taken on a Sunday at like 5 PM. That's why there is absolutely nothing going on. It is not because I took the photo and forgot to add things. Sure.

DetroitTransitAuthorityBusinessasusual_zps3a0cffc5.png

I believe Detroit is on the upswing, and good things are in its future. The Wayne State University corridor has seen some revitalization in the past few years. Here's a late fall view of the southern portion of the university grounds.

WayneState1_zps578cfa1b.png

One of the northern area.

WayneState2_zpse4e8a550.png

And here is how it looks along Woodward Ave. The Detroit Institute of Arts and the Detroit Main Library are two prominent buildings seen here. Judging by the busses it was a day for field trips, test drives, or automa overpopulation. Who knows.

TheDetroitInstituteofArts_zps61088cd4.png

Heading a little further east we see where new housing has been showing up north of Warren Avenue, near I-75. I think they call this area Art Center.

MidtownLiving_zpsf3cda933.png

Midtown has become a juxtaposition of old and new... WHOA! Looks like that red car rear ended the purple one there! Don't text and drive people! Watch the road! A message from MDOT, MDCH, and MSP. If you can unscramble that alphabet soup, then you know your stuff.

Rebuilding_zps7d4eb8c9.png

Here's a parting shot of the Morningside neighborhood. I do enjoy grids.

GoodTimes_zpse560a73d.png

That's all for this tour of Detroit neighborhoods. It's a cool old city and if you haven't visited, heard its history, or learned of the contributions that many of its residents have made to society, well you should. Most importantly, remember to:

blogentry-35200-0-35822500-1376689746_th

I hope to start work on Michigan's Vacation coast, where US31 runs from the border of that state to the south, right on up to Sleeping Bear and Mackinac, very soon. I hope you all stay safe and have a great day.

slickbg56

Hello everyone. I had a chance to get some photos of what is going on around the city. I thought you might enjoy taking a look.

It's been a busy week at engine 27 and ladder 8 on the west side of the city.

There was a fire in an abandoned building early one morning. E27 arrived on scene and stretched a line. Additional companies also assisted on scene. Ladder 8 can also be seen in the photo. The structure, a taxpayer, was a total loss. The fire was discovered well after it had started. You can see another building that had burned on the next block.

StructureFire_zpsf9638417.png

Engine 27 and Ladder 8 worked another fire later that same day. This fire was discovered early. Fire was showing from the second and fifth floor windows of an apartment building upon arrival. E27 stretched again, as this fire was in their first due. Additional companies were summoned when 27's officer saw the extent of the fire.

Anotherfire_zps13f33025.png

Here's a photo of the firefighters in action. Nobody works harder than Detroit's firefighters. If you see one, tell them thanks.

Hardatwork_zps331bedc5.png

Here's a look at Hubbard Richard. The Detroit Waterfront is at the bottom of the frame. I-75 is the freeway. This is near Junction or Clark I believe. A CSX Local is working some west side businesses.

HubbardRichard_zpsc8f82739.png

This is the Great Lakes Engineering Works in Ecourse. They've been building ships here since 1903. They don't turn out as many big ships as they did at the turn of the 20th century, but they still do fine work.

GreatLakesEngineeringWorks_zps32246060.png

Here's another shot. It's interesting that raw material from the ground, is turned into a ship... to haul more raw material from the ground. Circle of life I suppose...

GreatLakesEngineeringWorks2_zps3e516745.png

Here's one of the more massive industrial facilities in existence: The Ford River Rouge Complex. I'll let the photo tell the story.

RiverRougeComplex_zps712d662a.png

Just south of River Rouge is the Marathon Refinery. Quite a place huh?

MarathonRefinery_zpsec69d940.png

And one last photo from today's tour:

CorktownMichiganCentral_zps9e1923f7.png

This is all that remains of historic Tiger Stadium. The place where many great Michigan summer memories were born. If you listen close, you can still hear Harwell callin' homers. Nearby is Michigan Central Station. No of course it isn't a blighted eyesore! It's a hotel, office space, and one of the busier transit stations in the Detroit Metro area... geez...

That's all for now! I hope you have a safe and happy day.

slickbg56

Here are some shots from around Detroit. This city is not bankrupt, it's doing alright.

The first one is from earlier this summer.

blogentry-35200-0-59937300-1375139925_th

Here we see the start of the Detroit to Mackinac Sailboat race. It is not the same as the Port Huron to Mackinac Race. The Detroit to Mackinac race follows what is historically thought to be an old French fur trading route. The sail boats are headed out from the east end of Belle Isle Harbor. Detroit's Marina District is along the north shoreline. Belle Isle can be seen in the foreground. I heard Bob Seger's boat did pretty well this year.

Here is a shot from fall 2012. You might remember it.

blogentry-35200-0-32590400-1375140373_th

This was game three of the 2012 World Series. The Detroit Tigers hosted the San Francisco Giants. The Tigers won it after Miguel Cabrera knocked a 3 run homer in the 7th. Tigers won it 7-5. I swear. They went on to win the World Series in 6 games. Do not fact check that. Just take my word for it. You can see Cheli's across the street from the stadium, and Ford Field is right there in the bottom of the frame. Did you know that the Lions have never played an 0-16 season? How about that! Other notable buildings are the Fox Theatre and the Filmore, both along Woodward Ave.

blogentry-35200-0-30765600-1375140907_th

This is the Detroit Waterfront. Yeah, Waterfront. No, it's not the riverfront. Tunnel to Canada? Where's that? South of Detroit? Nope. You're crazy. You must be thinking of Detroit, Montana or something. Anyway, check out that summer skyline. It's alright. Not sure if you can totally see it, but that is Mariners' Church at the foot of the Renaissance Center. Gordon Lightfoot references it in a song.

blogentry-35200-0-90248900-1375141161_th

This picture was also taken earlier this year. That big building is Cobo Hall. It was the opening weekend of the Detroit International Auto Show. Yes, I see the leaves on the trees too. No, they do not have the Auto Show in January. Other noteworthy buildings in there are Detroit Fire Headquarters, 211 W Fort Street, and the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame. That big building along the waterfront is Olympia Stadium, home of the Detroit Pistons. The Palace? Naw man, the Pistons have always been at Olympia. Yeah, the Red Wings are still at the Joe. It's just outside of this photo.

Ok, One more...

blogentry-35200-0-84612000-1375141519_th

This is the Eastern Market neighborhood at night. There isn't a lot going on here at night, and it's the off season, but it still looks pretty cool. I-75 is running through in the foreground. The Detroit Fire Department Maintenance and Training Center is in the upper left hand corner. Those guys stay busy.