• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A Roleplaying City Journal

Entries in this City Journal

2b2gbi

Update Two - Home

NOTE: It is important that you read the update before voting in the above poll(s). Images will enlarge when clicked.

iyR8XLv.jpg

Status Update

Updates will now be posted every second Friday.

If this is your first time reading Progress I recommend you go back to the first update (I call it Update Zero), which includes some important information about how this works.There is a link to it on the right sidebar.

Update Two - Home

The date is March 15th, 1859. The season is Spring. The current population of the settlement is 122, with 98 adults and 24 children.

Most of the citizens of the progress settlement have settled in and starting going about their new lives. A vote was held on what to build in a designated common area and the people chose to set up a public market. This Market has become the center of activity in the new town and has attracted traders from afar.

0vYt3hi.jpg

Farther down a few people have made homes near the site of the original camp.

JIODaTX.jpg

The waterfront will no doubt become a busier area once a proper landing is built.

5h92MDE.jpg

A couple members of the Progress expedition have decided to settle outside of the town itself.

Marshal Thibodeaux opted to construct a small cottage and farm along the river downstream from the town.

eK8BTD8.jpg

John Harding built himself a hunting cabin in an open clearing north of the town.

B3jeK9i.jpg

After the first round of claims the settlers decided to draft up a new map showing the property holdings in the town.

RX54Xij.jpg

Join Action: To join Progress click the image below.

(Closed)

Character Action: There are four possible actions for characters in this update.

Action 1: Pick a lot and settle in the town or clear your land outside of town. (Only if you have not yet done so)

Action 2: Build a home or shop on the land you selected. (Only houses can be built outside of town) (Only if you have not yet done so)

You may only do one of the following:

Action 3a: Claim more land outside of the town and build a home or farm. (Only if you already have selected property in a previous update)

Action 3b: Apply for more land in the town. This requires a valid reason and will be voted on in the next update.

To perform a character action reply in the comments using the form "Character name selects lot x and builds a shop."

Community Poll: Build docks or expand street network?

Building a dock will allow for more trade while expanding the street network will open more land up for settlement in the town.

The next entry will catch up with the settlers in the Summer of 1859.

2b2gbi

NOTE: It is important that you read the update before voting in the above poll(s). Images will enlarge when clicked.

progress.jpg

Status Update

Before the the actual update I'd like to apologize that this took so long to get out, these last couple of weeks have been a bit rough with several different personal/family issues coming up at the same time and I got hit with another dose of bad news today. I'll try to be a bit more regular with this from now on.

If this is your first time reading Progress I recommend you go back to the first update (I call it Update Zero), which includes some important information about how this works.There is a link to it on the right sidebar.

Update One - Making Camp

The date is October 9th, 1858. The season is Autumn. The current population of the settlement is 122, with 98 adults and 24 children.

The below have joined Progress this entry:

Charles Carter and Family

Tomislav Ricov and Family

John Rothbard

Arthur Menethil

Paul Brittle

Benjamin Cook and Family

Mikhail White and Family

Ernest Tarbuckle and Family

Brandon Alvis

Easton Duncanson and Family

Arne Katherfaer and Family

John Harding

Karl Sanderson and Family

Iohane Annan and Family

Vincenzo Machiavelli and Family

Scott English

Alexander Malaxa

Mody Mentos and Family

Mary Frances Greene and Family

Jack Clinton

Willard Smithers and Family

William O'Dea and Family

Marshal Thibodeaux

Bob Roberts and Family

Martin Wilhead and Family

John Bradley and Family

William MacIntyre and Family

John Booth and Family

John Walker

Theo Kinkade and Family

Chester Proudfoot

Antoine Bélisle and Family

Bruce Mains

Erik Boreykinson

Alan Travin and Family

James O'Brien and Family

The members of the wagon train have agreed to settle at the site where a creek enters a larger river. The surrounding region is hilly and the site is heavily wooded, but the travelers decided that looking for a site with less timber to clear was more risky with Winter approaching. The settlers have cleared a portion wooded area, and most people have decided to set up camp in the manmade clearing. The wood they have collected so far will be useful as they start to build more permanent dwellings.

progressa.jpg

Another smaller group decided to set up a camp near the river and try their hand at fishing the waters. The settlers here found evidence of Native American activity in the area.

progressb.jpg

The settlers held a meeting yesterday to decide how they would divide up the land in their new town. They decided to draw up a plat of the planned town. The current settlements are shown in the lighter lines under the lot markings.

progressmapa.jpg

They all agreed that the lots would be claimed on a first-come-first-served basis.They decided that settlers could choose to live outside the town itself and establish farms, hunting lodges, etc., but that they would have to clear the land on their own.

Join Action: You cannot join Progress in this update.

Character Action: There are two possible actions for characters in this update.

Action 1: Pick a lot and settle in the town or clear your land outside of town.

Action 2: Build a home or shop on the land you selected. (Only houses can be built outside of town.)

To perform a character action reply in the comments using the form "Character name selects lot x and builds a shop.

Community Poll: Decide on the first community structure to build.

The next entry will catch up with the settlers after their first Winter in Spring of 1859.

2b2gbi

NOTE: It is important that you read the update before voting in the above poll(s). Most images (all large images) will enlarge when clicked.

progress.jpg

General information

Hello everyone. Welcome to Progress, a City Journal that will allow you not only to witness the growth of a community, but to to participate on several levels. This journal will chronicle the establishment of a new community in the western United States during the period of westward movement commonly referred to as Manifest Destiny. The details of this community will not be decided by me, the author, however. They will instead be completely up to you, the readers. Every reader that wishes to will have a character that is participating in this journal that they can personally control each time there is an update.

I will not have a character in this world, and will instead be a sort of "gamemaster" that carries out the effects of character's actions in the journal and who decides the circumstances that will present themselves with each update. For example, I may decide that a disaster should strike the community and that it should be a fire, but I would randomly determine its exact effects on the community. I will make sure that effects like these are determined randomly not only to keep things interesting, but to make sure that everything is completely unbiased.

There are several ways that you can participate in Progress. The first is by having a character that you can control inside the community. To begin participating in Progress with a playable character you need to sign up by filling out a "Join" Form. There will be a new form with every update and you can only join through the most recent form. Due to technical constraints and because I want to keep this at least somewhat manageable on my end only 100 people may join the community each month. After you complete this form there will not be any more forms to complete (at least not with the current plan, this may change) and you will control your character using the comment section on each update. The ways you can interact with the community through your playable character will be outlined in each update with a list of possible actions at the end of the update. An example of this is included at the end of this update. Some examples of what you will be able to do are founding business, taking up jobs, and building houses, but all of these actions may not be available in a give update sequence and you can only perform one action each update. It is possible for these characters to die The second way you can participate in Progress is by voting in the polls that will accompany each update. Whereas characters allow you to interact on a very small scale, polls will deal with issues and decisions that will impact the entire community. The poll accompanies this first update, which allows you to vote on where the community will be founded, is an excellent example of the kind of things that will be controlled by polls. Actions and polls will be color coded within updates. Action information will feature orange, while poll information will be titled green.

The in-game time gap between updates for this first period will be two seasons. This means that the train will reach its destination in Autumn and that will be the point in time addressed by the next entry.

The game mechanics will change on occasion, as this is a largely experimental journal. It should also be noted that the idea for this journal is largely inspired by a project called "The Towne" that was attempted on the CSGForums a few years ago. You can check that out by clicking this link. If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please address them in the comment section.

Now that all the information is out of the way, it's time for you to make your first decision.

Update Zero - The Wagon Train

The date is March 27th, 1858. The season is Spring.

You have arrived in Independence, Missouri, having completed the first leg of your journey to a new life. The decision to seek a new beginning in the great unknown of the American West has not been an easy one, and this is your last chance to turn back. Once you agree to be part of the wagon train leaving tomorrow you cannot go back. Do you want to gamble it all for a clean slate and a chance to become rich from the promised bounty of the land this ragtag caravan hopes to find?

Character Action: There is one possible action for characters in this update.

Action 1: Click the image below to fill out the form to join the wagon train, or chicken out and head back east.

The time limit on this action has expired.

If you join Progress it is helpful you follow the journal or subscribe to its RSS feed in order to keep up to date with entries.

Community Poll: Decide where the wagon train should stop and establish a town.

The next entry will meet the train at its destination in Autumn of 1858.