Imaginia

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A city state on the continent of Borealia

Entries in this City Journal

MandelSoft

Note: Text written in this font are comments from me looking back to my old CJ. The rest comes from the original post.

Kapish

The city where it all begun

Kapish is the old capital of East-Imaginia. It was funded by the Zyghbob-indians about 2000 years ago. The city became about 500 years ago an important buisnesscenter. Nowdays the city has about 110,000 residents, over 50,000 jobs and it is the city of the gouvernement of Imaginia.

I've dropped this origin story for a while.

Pictures

mapzi5.jpg

Map of Kapish and surroundings

You see that I used no terrain mod yet, but I did already use a water mod.

centralzonekx5.jpg

Center of Kapish

Currently I don't show route numbers on close-ups anymore. The sidewalk mod is on the pics Jernoij's, but now I use SMP's. Also, the HRS hasn't seen daylight yet. But I did already use the NAM, SFBT's Euro road textures and Thorvin's highway textures.

Besides that fact, I don't use Maxis Highway anymore, by far most of it is replaced by RHW nowadays. Funny enough, Kapish is one of the very few cities that still have some MHW remaining, but that will be gone soon...

oldcenterzn6.jpg

The old Center of Kapish. Nowdays its a suburb

The lights are still the ones from Maxis. The first signs of the LRM are to be seen in the Maxtor-update. The first signs of the HRS appears at the first Konrad update at SC4D!This picture is pretty Maxis-ruled, asside from the few road mods and old-dutch houses from vanderaap.

trioniosuburbfp3.jpg

The Triono-suburb at the west side of town.

See those yellow houses? Those are my very first BATted buildings. And one of the few, because I'm not a good building-BATter, but I make some pretty good traffic BATs

interchangekablaskiqz0.jpg

And last, but not least: the Kablaski-interchage, which is very busy

This interchange has been changed on 12 April 2009. You may also see some signs. These are my very first BATted signs, These signs are not available at the STEX, because I made a new version of them. Oh, and by the way, the Kablaski -intechange has been named after the river that flows through the city, the Kablaski. A while ago this name has been changed to Kareel.

Well, that's all, folks!

Best

Maarten

MandelSoft

im-u10-thumb.jpg

Welcome to the second part of Guilliano Revisited. Today we move on to the west side of the Guilliano. Even here, I did some major reconstruction.

We start at the large office district at the river side, the West Quay District:

im-10.01.jpg

This office district has yet again a lot of modern high-rise buildings and even has its own light rail line:

im-10.02.jpg

Guilliano is also a student city, because the city has his own university, the Guilliano University of Technology (abbreviated to GUT :P):

im-10.03.jpg

im-10.04.jpg

Just across the motorway A6, there's an apartment complex, very popular amongst students to live there...

im-10.05.jpg

Moving on to the north, were we find the old Nagaskan city center of Gilljån (Gamla Gilljån). This is still a very lively district with lots of shops, pubs and bars and it's part of Imaginia's Cultural Heritage:

im-10.06.jpg

In the middle of this district you have this classic garden, Gilljån Square:

im-10.07.jpg

Right next to Gilljån Square is the Palace Square, right next to the former Nagaskan palace. Nowadays it's a cultural history museum. Palace Square is quite popular for big public events , like concerts. I heard DJ MandelSoft is having a concert tonight :P

im-10.08.jpg

And now off to some road geekery! And does this interchange look familiar? It should, because it was a first ever in-situ implementation of the Project Symphony three-level roundabout interchange!

im-10.09.jpg

Some more random road geek pics:

im-10.10.jpg

im-10.11.jpg

im-10.12.jpg

im-10.13.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this update!

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

U-Drive-It Tours!

Thank you for all your lovely comments!

So, today, I'm going to show you not one, but TWO U-Drive-It videos, one from Schellingen I recorded a while ago and one from Imaginia I recorded today. Video footage is always special in a CJ, since it shows your cities in-action ;) Enjoy the videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOdCELXZDBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9YvIKM7yc

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

im-u09-thumb.png

Yes, we are going back to Guilliano yet again. I've done some major reconstruction a while ago, refitting the city to the specs I make my cities in nowadays, and I partially succeeded in that, because it's an old city of mine and retrofitting doesn't always work. Still I have some nice refits here and there I'd like to show you. Since this is a two-parter, I start on the eastern part of Guilliano.

First up is the Central Station area. The station has been there since the beginning of Guilliano, but I've added quite some parking lots here, so people could park and ride here. I also connected the high-speed line to Konrad directly to this station.

im-9.01.jpg

I also added a few canals here and there. They give a nice touch to the scenery...

im-9.02.jpg

NOTE: Imaginia used to be part of the Sÿd-Vattirik kingdom between 932-1544 A.D.

Another thing I did is refitting office areas with some new, great BATs from the STEX. I love the work of Reddonquixotte, Jasoncw and the NYBT there!

im-9.03.jpg

im-9.04.jpg

Next up is the riverside quays. Previously, this was an empty area, but I did find that illogical. It is a scenic spot with a nice view over the Schelling River, so I introduced a nice quay park with Marast's River Embankments and the SFBT Park fillers. Below is a close-up of the Empire Memorial Park, which honours the old Nagaskan Empire. There's a beautiful looking art museum in this park and a look-out tower. The whole park is surrounded by modern office towers

im-9.05.jpg

A zoom out:

im-9.06.jpg

And of course the obligatory infrastructure features. I've reconstructed the C42 (previously the A40) from 4x2 lanes to 2x4 lanes. I got rid of the unnecessary Collector-Distributor system, which drastically reduced the footprint of this motorway:im-9.07.jpg

Still, at one section it's split up I had to pass a RD-6 there, and I found this clever solution to pass this road...

im-9.08.jpg

Here is one of the two roundabout interchanges of Guilliano, where the C42 crosses with the back-bone of Imaginia, the C75:

im-9.09.jpg

To the west, the C75 runs elevated above all other networks on an embankment.

im-9.10.jpg

And to conclude, a night shot of the stretch

im-9.11.jpg

Stay tuned for part 2! operator.gif

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

im-u08-thumb.jpg

This update is one that has been in my archives for way to long, a blast from the past. I had this update ready since November 8 of last year, so this update is almost a year overdue. And boy, what a year it was! So, what was my (SimCity) life back then?

• I was still using the RHW v5.0.

• DragFAR wasn't a "thing" yet...

• NORO wasn't a "thing" yet...

• My brother was still living at my house. Now he lives on his own ;)

• I didn't have a driver's license back then. Got it in February.

• The NAM 31 wasn't out yet. That came out in March, and boy, what a release it was...

• The only thing we could do about SimCity 2013 was speculating...

• I never boarded a plane back then. That happened last July, when I was visiting Sweden.

• I still wasn't sure about finishing my Bachelor-degree of Civil Engineering back then, because I was three courses behind on schedule. Now, I've started with my Master-degree in Transport and Planning (how convenient!) after finishing my Bachelor-degree in the nominal time.

So, that's what's changed during the last 10 months. Quite a bit, don't you think?

But anyway, let's get back where we first start off with a coastal town, Landzicht. It's at the most southern tip of Imaginia. It has a small island off the coast with holiday homes. However, Landzicht doesn't have that spectacular beaches and therefore, the town looks pretty generic...

im-8.01.jpg

im-8.02.jpg

im-8.04.jpg

It does however, got this cute little houses along the country routes...

im-8.05.jpg

Here's the end of the B11, which leads right to Newlandervayne. It's only a 15 minute drive to there, so you're never too far away from the city...

im-8.06.jpg

So, we're heading north...

im-8.07.jpg

Next up is Kolderhof, a nice little scienic town just north of Hoogerhey. The most notable landmark is the Kolderhof Castle, built by the Nagaskians in the 16th Century. It offers a great view over the Konrade valley, so they could see an enemy coming from far away. Nowadays it's a big tourist attraction in the region.

im-8.08.jpg

Here we see the Kolderhof-tunnel on the new, redirected C40. Since there are no tunnels for the RHW-6C yet, I had to come up with this workaround...

im-8.09.jpg

Guess what? More parclos!

im-8.10.jpg

And to conclude this update, I finish with a scienic part of the C40...

im-8.11.jpg

Well, that's it for today. I hope you enjoyed this update ;)

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

Lately I've started live streaming on twitch.tv (no regular schedule set, but often I stream at GMT early evenings), to show some of the behind-the-scenes work on Imaginian and more-over, my building style and techniques. During these streams I had a live audience who could give comments and questions while I was building (sometimes with the help of Skype). For those who missed it, here are the previous episodes regarding Imaginia:

Episode 2: Retrofitting Jonkersmond

Episode 6A: Sebeshaber, terraforming for new docks

Episode 6B: Sebeshaber, constructing port facilities

Episode 8: the Farmlands of Norravik

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

brsreplies.jpg

"It's strange to see those American tileset high-rises in your heavily European-influenced cities, still have no opinion about it...

One thing is sure, I keep loving this CJ!"

-- TekindusT

It's Imaginian style! I just mix things together

Thank you for your nice replies, everyone!

im-u07-thumb.jpg

Today's entry is the first of a series of entries. It's about random cities in Imaginia. Don't expect anything too special or long elaborate updates. I'm just showing you around in the rest of Imaginia.

Nagane is a city of about 60 000 citizens, just south of Hohlherd and east of South City. It's a relatively small city and it's surrounded by motorways. It remains a main junction in the south of the province Näde-Andaluh. Therefore, quite a part of the following pictures are road-geek related...

im-7.01.jpg

im-7.02.jpg

im-7.03.jpg

im-7.04.jpg

im-7.05.jpg

im-7.06.jpg

im-7.07.jpg

im-7.08.jpg

im-7.09.jpg

Stay tuned for some more random cities from Imaginia!

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

brsreplies.jpg

"Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyup. This is a good cj. But you don't need me to tell you that now, do you?"

-- NMUSpidey

No, I dont :P

"Pic 5.18: I love that intersection.

The RHW6C splitter to 2x RHW4+RHW2 is a piece with so much potential yet i seldom see it used."

-- blunder

This is one of those occasions where this piece comes in pretty handy ;)

"Excellent job with some beautiful RHW work that I would never have the patience for."

-- Kevin

Patience is a virtue, my friend ;)

"That's a very diverse city!"

-- vivapanda

"Love the diversity also. Great work with the roads and rail!"

-- JGellock

"Great use of the RHW, as always."

-- SimCoug

"I have to agree with Kevin on this. ;D Excellence!"

-- Simul8ter8

"This city looks cute"

-- katherman111

"Woooooow!!!!Beautiful update!!!!Like your RHWs!Thank you for the links"

-- Gugu3

"Wow. Your cities look so cool especially your highways and transit system. Pic. 518 definitely gives new meaning to the name 'Spaghetti Junction'."

-- Wynresat237

"Now that's what I call a great all rounder! Urban, poor, transport, rural (5-17) and industrial! You really know how to spoil us."

-- ThomasSimpson

"Your updates are so big yet I yearn for more! Can't wait for 33!"

-- durfsurn

"I don't think that I'll be the first to say wow

I love that you still use Maxis landmarks "

-- IL.

Thank you all! ;)

im-u06-thumb.jpg

Newlandervayne is on the outskirts of the Capital District, located west from Hoogerhey. The city has only about 110 000 inhabitants, though it does have quite some skyscrapers. The further west you go, the lower the building densities become and so it's truly a metropolis outskirt.

Fun fact: I completely reconstructed the entire city (AKA demolishing everything, do some terraforming, reconstruct the road networks and build everything up again). This large city tile used to have 350 000 inhabitants. During the reconstruction, this has been decreased to only 130 000 (partially because I didn't want the skyscraper. Part of this city is technically part of Hoogerhey and Hertenkamp.

First, we start at the old city center (Oudesteede) on the central island of the city. It's a mix of wooden and stone buildings from the 18th and 19th century...

im-6.01.jpg

Next up we have the new city center, ruled by towers and offices...

im-6.02.jpg

im-6.03.jpg

But it's not all offices; here we have some ressidences too!

im-6.04.jpg

A part of Sallandia, technically part of Hoogerhey

im-6.05.jpg

im-6.06.jpg

Next up is the Kattenbergh district. It's build on a hilly area, but as I recently applied over at more locations in Imaginia, this district is build in a Terrace Style fashion...

im-6.07.jpg

im-6.08.jpg

Here we have Oudesteede Avenue, which connects Oudesteede with the N25 by a bridge. Here it passes Otterswyk...

im-6.09.jpg

A clever rail junction near Otterswyk...

im-6.10.jpg

Moving west, we have the district of Nieuwwest. With exception of an office area in the east, it's mostly a low-rise residential area

im-6.11.jpg

im-6.12.jpg

Moving on to the north to Klarenberghe, also built in Terrace Style and also mostly low-rise...

im-6.13.jpg

im-6.14.jpg

To the south, on the other side of the river, we have Assenwyck. This district has quite some appartment blocks for the poorer residents...

im-6.15.jpg

im-6.16.jpg

The local soccer stadium...

im-6.17.jpg

... and here a part of Hertenkamp-North...

im-6.18.jpg

And here we have some of my obligatory Road Geekery. We start with the main East-West-corridor of Imaginia, the C75...

im-6.19.jpg

im-6.20.jpg

im-6.21.jpg

im-6.22.jpg

Next up the N25 approaching the Oudehands Bridge...

im-6.23.jpg

Here the N25 crosses the A5 by a roundabout interchange...

im-6.24.jpg

... not far east from Assenwyck Crossing, where the A5 crosses the A16...

im-6.25.jpg

And a final pic of the A5 to conclude this update:

im-6.26.jpg

This is the final SC4D Of Special Interest This Month update. I hope you enjoyed the past few updates. Though I might be updating this CJ in the future, it will be less often than the past few weeks. Until then, see you later!

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

brsreplies.jpg

"Awesome update! Both by its lenght and content, of course your highways were amazing as always! And finnaly somebody explained me about those plus lanes, I never got that "

-- vivapanda

It's a vague explaination, but I heard this one during my study. Glad I could help you understand the purpose of these lanes ;)

"Some pics are a bit too crowded for my taste, but your highway building skills keep impressing me a lot! Some scenes (specially 4.12) have reminded me a lot to those massive and complex highways haljackey did years ago... A very cool update overall!"

-- TekindusT

"Very nice, and as Tekindust said, these highways are certainly reminiscent of Haljackey's. I love the night-lit highway and the sunken rail through the urban area."

-- Bipin

It does look a bit like one of Haljackey's cities, but I actually tried to cut down the skyscrapers. It was a lot more crowded in this city when I started, and a lot more chaotic too.

"Wonderful!!!Can you give me the link to those amazing prefab offices you've shown????"

-- Gugu3

By all means!

http://community.sim...e/27280-skview/

http://community.sim...karakapartment/

"what light mods did u use? its pretty.."

-- felano

That's my very own Light Replacement Mod Version 4.0. It's available on the STEX:

http://community.sim...-v40-mega-pack/

"Nice work!Where did you get the 3-track station in the 2nd pic?!"

-- nathanthemayor

That's Amsterdam Central Station, created by xannepan, also known for his excellent Parisian BATs. Love that building! It's available on the LEX:

http://sc4devotion.c....php?lotGET=574

"bestofthebestsmall.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!! THIS ENTRY WON BEST OF THE BEST! - WEEKLY EDITION FOR THE CATEGORY TRANSPORTATION"

-- spursrule14

Oh boy! Another honour title! I'm flattered :blush:

"Great!! Can't be better!!!"

-- ABHosting

"Cool job among the motorways! "

-- Skimbo

"I love those pictures! Those intersections are just beautiful! "

-- Macko123456

"Amazing Work!! "

-- Frex_Ceafus

"Bro, this is amazing bro! "

-- Kevenbro

"I like it"

-- Simmytu

"4.07 is my favorite! Looks awesome! Great job!"

-- hjbk

"4.02, 4.04, 4.11 are my favorite. every single one is jaw dropping though. great Job Mrtn!"

-- iowndiscti

"That was honestly awesome! Amazing Job on the highways in all of your pictures the picture of the south konrad highway at night was unbelievably realistic."

-- Domoscafidi2010

"I like this a lot. I can tell a lot of thought went into your city, and the highways in particular. I really like pictures 4.12 and 4.18"

-- Jill Jacobs

"Absolutely lovin' this CJ. Great to see so many pictures in the updates, I really, really can't wait to see more."

-- Samerton

"interesting mix of very different kind of buildings. i like especcialy that pic with 3 bridges! "

-- testuser1234

"Very cool looking city. Those highways are crazy and awesome at the same time."

-- Wynresat237

"Another excellent update, your highways are always interesting to see!"

-- sim_link

Thank you all!

im-u05-thumb.jpg

Hoogerhey is a neighbouring city of Konrad. It's right across the river Kareel and it's alos part of the Capital District. Hoogerhey hosts about 200 000 inhabitants and the Imaginian gouvernment. The is the capital of the Republic of Imaginia. The city itself is not really that big (only about 300 000 inhabitants). The rich and powerful and the poor and powerless are quite close to each other in this city, and sometimes this leads to social stress.

We start of at the office district in the city center. It's quite spacious; there's room for small parks as well as tall office buildings. This is the economic heart of the city.

im-5.01.jpg

Moving on east to the river, we come to the Nederheye district. This contains some offices, but also some residences in the south. You see here the entrance of the Vreerust Tunnel (N25) leading to Konrad.

im-5.02.jpg

The Nederheye area at night. At the right, you see the International Congress Center. Here the Imaginian politcians have meetings with their foreign colleagues...

im-5.03.jpg

And here we have the Gouvernment Districs, showing off some of the Imaginian ministries...

im-5.04.jpg

The main Parlamaint Building. Glad I could give this most excellent BAT a worthy purpose ^_^

im-5.05.jpg

Moving to the higher grounds of Hoogerhey, we come to Overheye. This district has quite some variation in building styles. It's home to poor as well as rich people in the city

im-5.06.jpg

im-5.07.jpg

im-5.08.jpg

im-5.09.jpg

Moving west we come to Sallandia. This city district is mostly made of pre-fab buildings...

im-5.10.jpg

But there are also some appartment blocks for the middle-class...

im-5.11.jpg

"Yo dawg, I heard you like prefabs..."

im-5.12.jpg

im-5.13.jpg

im-5.14.jpg

Soccer (or football, as we Europeans would call it) is also very popular in Imaginia. Here we have the stadium of the KSA (Konrad Sports Association) soccer team.

im-5.15.jpg

And I'd like to conclude this update with some Road-geek pics. Here we see a brand-new stretch of the C40. The C40 has the nickname Konrade Freeway, because it follows the river Konrade. This stretch is wider and less steep than the old stretch, which was running one kilometer west. The old stretch has been demolished. We are heading south...

im-5.16.jpg

We're approaching a major interchange: Hoogerhey Crossing. Here the C40 links with the C75 and N20. You see you already have to split up here..

im-5.17.jpg

Hoogerhey Crossing. It's not the best interchange, but it will do. However, you can't get on or off the N20 when heading east. The C40 (coming from the north/right) joins with the C75 and heads east (bottom). Straight ahead, the route continues as the N20 (left), which is not an official freeway, though it looks like one. The N20 is also called the Hoogerhey Bypass.

im-5.18.jpg

Heading further south on the N20, we come to Exit Hoogerhey-West...

im-5.19.jpg

A close-up...

im-5.20.jpg

A large junction rail and freeway junction, everything perfectly planned like a baws! B)

im-5.21.jpg

And finally, one other pic of the N20 to conclude. A bit further East, the N20 ends on an T-intersection and turns south to join with the A5.

im-5.22.jpg

Next update: Newlandervayne. Stay tuned!

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

brsreplies.jpg

"Awesome work Maarten! I like the mashing of styles you got going there (in a good way, playing off your words )"

-- Blue Lightning

Thanks, I've quite mash-up some old and new city styles in my city. In the old city center I have a mix of Parisian, dutch and Polish buildings, while in the modern CBD I have a mix of Maxis buildings and Asian and Western architecture. I love to mix my buildings!

"Long live the RHW but also long live Maarten :) Good Job Buddy. This is 10000000 times better then NY"

-- katherman111

I wouldn't say that. NY has also its charms, but this is thankfully quite different than NYC.

"Looking awesome!!=) very inspiriational work there maarten =) Whenever I run out of ideas I always look at your creations ^^ Very impressive Great job maarten! ヽ(^o^)丿"

-- Johan_91

And I've seen some things of you, and I'm also impressed by you. I'm glad that my work inspires some people ;)

"Fantastic work, it looks great. I like the terrain mod you are using, too. Doesn't look too green. The RHW and city centre are my favourite parts of the update."-

-- sim_link

I also like my new terrain mod. It's Lowkee33's Apalachean Terrain Mod from the SC4D LEX. I used the Italia Terrain Mod before, but I switched since these textures looked better and it represents a colder climate like in Scandinavia instead of a warm Mediterranean climate.

"this is an amazing set of pics here Maarten! It had to take you a lot of time and work to do all this reconstruction ."

-- b22rian

Yup, about two weeks, but as you can see, it was totally worth it!

"Awesome highway! It is always nice to see something different from pictures and this video was interesting and amazing "

-- ee99

I simply had to do one film one of these days...

"Fantastic stuff. One of my favorite bits is where the road is a bit 'wavy' right before junction 4. And then the driving! One major accident, 2 vehicles forced off the road, and on at least one occasion overtaking on the inside lane, also know as undertaking. Where are the traffic police in this city????"

-- Benedict

My sims are equally bad drivers; sticking on the left lane, undertaking, trucks on the inner lanes, driving too close to each other, suddenly switch two lanes, drive on the exit lane and then go back to the main lanes... You see, I'm not the worst driver here. By the way, the UDI controls can be sometimes tricky, especially because you're not looking from the driver's perspective. I'm learning to drive at the moment, and I'm a way better in RL than in SC4 (at least, I don't cause any accidents...)

"For a moment I forgot this is SC4 and not some action / racing game :-P"

-- taliz81

UDI is amazing, isn't it?

"Very nice! I enjoyed watching your driving skills "

-- vivapanda

You mean my bad driving skills :P

"Loving the RHW, Maarten. This is just superb!"

-- Samerton

"This is one of the realy interressing city journals. Im one of them who dont like this rural citys. But yours is a real city, and i find the Old city is realy great!"

-- nexttome

"@Samerton: How dare you, calling this just "superb"?! This is one of the best CJs I've ever seen in all of Simtropolis!!! WOOOOOOW! I will give every one of your entries 5/5 from now on. This... is... epic!"

-- ggamgus

"Your updates are always amazing. Love the variety here, but here my favorite images are the nightshots."

-- Benedict

"Lol, so true. Love your youtube videos by the way. Their so helpful for a freeway loser like me :P , and great city. Every block is another spectacular combination of buildings :yes:"

"very nice city there"

-- kakado_to_save

"Incredible stuff. 10/10"

-- pielover94

"picture 3.04 looks great! also all the interchanges."

-- Paulobergonci

"Truly amazing, especially with those unreleased RHW bridges "

-- mystic_destiny

"awesome highway, i felt like i was inside the car"

-- Paulobergonc

Thank you all!

im-u04-thumb.jpg

Konrad is the capital of the Republic of Imaginia. The city itself is not really that big (only about 300 000 inhabitants). However, the city is part of a large agglomeration, known as the Capital District. The Capital District is the economic and political heart of Imaginia and it contains the cities of Kapish, Konrad, Hoogerhey, Newlandervayne, Hertenkamp, Karlshonk, Jonkersmond and Maxtor. The cities from this agglomeration function as one large city and together they house as much as 1.5 million citizens. Konrad used to host the gouvernment, but this is nowadays allocated across the river Kareel in Hoogerhey. We'll visit Hoogerhey in the next update.

We start of at the railway station Konrad-West. It's part of the old railway line between Kapish and Konrad. Trains drive no faster than 50 km/h here. Looking at this picture you get an overall impression of the city infrastructure of Konrad: It's griddy, unstructured and for quite some parts under capacity. The freeways are OK, but the city itself is known as the Drivers Hell of Imaginia...

im-4.01.jpg

We go further down the line to the Central Station. The Central Station District is surrounded by office buildings. Because, isn't it good for business if your customers only have to walk a few minutes from the station instead of going through the congested city roads?

im-4.02.jpg

More offices. Konrad is full of them...

im-4.03.jpg

Get used to it: the city streets in Konrad are lit with blue-ish!

im-4.04.jpg

And even more, quite some pre-fabricated offices here...

im-4.05.jpg

The old highway to Newlandervayne and Suessensee, now downgraded to a city Avenue.

im-4.06.jpg

And now for my famous RHW constructions. Here we have the interchange between the Continental Route 40 (C40) and the Continental Route 75 (C75), both major routes in Imaginia. Their actual administrative numbers are A3 and A7, but Imaginia doesn't sign them, just like Belgium and Scandinavia. The C75 is the thorough route here while the C40 turns off from the west to the south...

im-4.07.jpg

(I don't know what happened to the pillars there...)

And here's the interchange with Vreerust Avenue...

im-4.08.jpg

The same intersection from another angle. Here we also see the Konrad Twin Towers. The left one, the Peace Tower, is build in 1982. The right one, the Prosperity Tower, is completed in 1986. Together they form a nice couple and a landmark of the city.

im-4.09.jpg

And one of the exits in the CBD. The C40 has Plus Lanes on this stretch. These open during rush hour to releave traffic. You might wonder "why not build full-blown lanes anyway". The answer is that it's juridically easier to construct Plus Lanes than regular lanes, since they have lower design values concerning exhaust gasses and noise production. This principle is applied quite some times in the Netherlands. At the looks of it, the Plus Lane is closed at this moment...

im-4.10.jpg

And this is one of my most crammed interchanges. It's notorius for its sharp curves and short ramps...

im-4.11.jpg

The Konrad Central Freeway at night...

im-4.12.jpg

Some close up pics...

im-4.13.jpg

im-4.14.jpg

And another intechange. Here the C40 turns from north to east, while the A5 starts here and goes west. The whole section of the A5 here is sunken.

im-4.15.jpg

Those Belgian "Ossenkop" lights have their odd charms; they are so ugly, they look beautiful...

im-4.16.jpg

And again, the lights are fully functional, showing off this sunken freeway in all its awesomeness! 8)

im-4.17.jpg

And what do you know, there are some exits on this section too (you don't say!)

im-4.18.jpg

And here the N20 connects to the A5. The N20 goes north across the water to Hoogerhey. The road also marks the western border of city of Konrad.

im-4.19.jpg

And another interchange of the A5 further west...

im-4.20.jpg

Back to Konrad, the suburb of Nieuwgaarden. It even has a Golf Course, which has been totally financed by the upper class of Konrad and surroundings. It's one of the very few Imaginian golf courses and it has only 8 holes...

im-4.21.jpg

And here we have some nice appartment buildings, quite some with a few across the river Kareel...

im-4.22.jpg

Nice, green and spaceous, that's the way to go!

im-4.23.jpg

And last but not least: a sunken railway line, leading to the Central Station!

im-4.24.jpg

Well that's it for today! 8)

im-4.25.jpg

Next update: Hoogerhey. Stay tuned!

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

brsreplies.jpg

"Gorgeous as always, but my favorite part is your reply to TowerDude."

-- Benedict

Well, if someone makes a reply in a meme format, I tend to reply back in another meme...

"awesome work buddy but how did u made an bridge with glr on picture 2.02"

-- katherman111

It's one of Xannepan's bridges. The instructions are in the manual (I had to read that one before I got this bridge right).

"The city really shows layered development over the centuries. I'd like to know where you got all those medieval, Parisian and modern sets at. Also, the box is on the left edge of the last picture, three or four row houses above the rampart-looking wall."

-- mrblisterdunde

The Parisian set is a mix of buildings from Xannepan and Porkie. The medieval town set is from Paeng...

"Awesome!!! Looks so so real! Could you help me, please? Where can I find plug-in for tram°s catenary? Thank you so much and good luck with new cjs! ;) "

-- davidkopravitko

The catenary set can be found somewhere in the NAM Development Thread over at SC4D, I don't know which post...

"@katherman111 The GLR Bridge is a JENX bridge found on LEX (sc4devotion).

Maarten, where did you get your retaining walls on the slopes of your city? Your city looks perfect and so real."

-- Hellken

The retaining wall are from Jeronij, which can be found here on the SC4D LEX

"Found the brown box!!!2.16 on the left. Good job anyway!!!"

-- Gugu3

Nice catch! ;)

"Awesome work! Destroy all Maxis highway"

-- ee99

Let me rephrase that:

xallthey_01.jpg

"Very nice. "Problem, citizens?" made me chuckle when I read that."

--Benedict

Yeah, it's self-criticism to my old city building style. I find it sometimes funny how badly I used to plan my cities...

"Whats up with thsoe lawns... DOnt forget to plant some trees my good man!!"

-- fatschmo

That's how my game usually looks like. Whenever I build, I turn the city details to low and the shadows and cars off. That way my game is more stable and faster.

"Spectacular work Maarten!"

-- mystic_destiny

"loved the highway, i like the contrast between old and new."

-- Paulobergonci

"looking awesome Maarten!! =D Really like the looks of your cities

--Johan_91

"awesome !"

--matheuspaulo

"Stunning! As always you have done every perfectly"

-- ee99

"Truly Wonderful!!!"

-- City Builder 9111

"Nice!"

-- ABHosting

"NICE!"

-- IVAN S

"Maartenism in all its glory! A huge and great update!"

-- TekindusT

"Great Work! Always love the freeways"

-- Mastof

Thank you all :}

im-u03-thumb.jpg

Now, after quite some reconstruction, it's time to look at the results!

First, let's have a look at the central business district:

im-3.01.jpg

Quite some towers there and a central freeway! Oh, and you may notice I switched between terrain mods...

im-3.02.jpg

A picture at night time...

im-3.03.jpg

Now here is a pic of something that was missing: an old city center. Kapish is one of the oldest cities in Imaginia. It was one of the capital cities of the Old Kingdoms of Borealia a thousand years ago. So an old city center would fit in here. And as you may notice, I've succeeded making one with a mash-up of different styles...

Some close-ups...

im-3.04.jpg

im-3.05.jpg

im-3.06.jpg

And here we have a residential district with lots of high-rises, Zuydoever...

im-3.07.jpg

im-3.08.jpg

Werkhoven is a residential district for the less wealthy citizens. It's characterized by these pre-fab apartment blocks...

im-3.09.jpg

im-3.10.jpg

And now some badass RHW stuff... B)

im-3.11.jpg

im-3.12.jpg

im-3.13.jpg

im-3.14.jpg

Zonzeel is a mixed residential and office high-rise district. It's attractive to the richer elite of the city...

im-3.15.jpg

Another look at the CBD....

im-3.16.jpg

Kapish "Central" Station. Well, it's central, but that's it. It's actually a pretty poor station for such a large city. There are plans to build a bigger and better station, but so far, nothing is concrete. And so Kapish will remain having this over-capacity station for a longer while...

im-3.17.jpg

More RHW badassery...

im-3.18.jpg

im-3.19.jpg

im-3.20.jpg

We've come to the ressidential area at the northern shore, Norraområdyt...

im-3.21.jpg

im-3.22.jpg

im-3.23.jpg

And here we have one of the oddest interchanges I've ever created. Not much has changed, just cleaned up...

im-3.24.jpg

And to conclude, the industrial area at the eastern shore, Stenarkårÿl.

im-3.25.jpg

im-3.26.jpg

im-3.27.jpg

im-3.28.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this update. In the mean time, I'm reconstructing Konrad. The Hoogerhey area is already done. The central area needs some more revision, as well as the freeway network. Stay tuned!

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

I decided to give a look behind the scenes in a four-part update. I took the city of Kapish for this opportunity. It's the first city I build in Imaginia, and therefore it contains some "sloppy" city building:

• There's still a lot of Maxis Highway left in this city. Only 4 other cities in Imaginia still have Maxis Highway at this moment, of which two are directly linked to Kapish.
  • The city layout is quite a chaos and not well thought. At some parts it's over-dimensioned.
  • Lots of repetition and quite Maxis-ruled in an ugly way, sometimes a mess of skyscrapers.
  • There's no old city center, while this is actually an old city in my timeline. This should be added.

As you can see, I have to do a lot to rebuild. But before we start rebuilding, let's have a look at the old situation. Note that all images from these Behind The Scenes updates are unedited, so you can admire the city in all its ugliness :D Click on the spoilers to see each part of the update

im-bts_01-thumb.png

im-bts-k01.jpg

Here we have the south-western part of the A10/C75, which is all Maxis Highway in the old situation. I've successfully converted this part to RHW. The N25 (here still before downgrading) still connects to the A10, but in the new situation, this connection has been left out to prevent weaving. Other than that, the city itself here is characteristic for my old city building style: random and not well thought out.

im-bts-k02.jpg

More bad city planning! A way to tightly build stack interchange and some buildings build very near railways and freeways, which generate a lot of noise pollution. Problem, citizens? ;D

im-bts-k03.jpg

Gotta love my city planning! $%Grinno$% A nuclear power plant is located in the middle of a residential area. Not such a good idea, but hey, I didn't care about environmentalists back then. Also, the building style is just... chaotic...

im-bts-k04.jpg

And more bad and redundant MHW stuff. Also check out those red signs... Ugly, eh?

im-bts-k05.jpg

This whole half-abadoned neighbourhood screams for reconstuction. And even more bad MHW stuff...

im-bts-k06.jpg

Here we have one of the oddest interchanges I have ever created. It hasn't been changed that much in the new situation; I just tidied it up...

im-bts-k07.jpg

This is an good example of over-dimensioned infrastructure. Two of the three avenues here have been downgraded to a road or a RHW-2. Only the one on the left still exists...

im-bts-k08.jpg

More bad city planning, MHW stuff and over-dimensioned networks...

im-bts-k09.jpg

... and even more...

im-bts-k10.jpg

And here we have a look at the messy and ugly CBD of Kapish and the surrounding ressidential area...

im-bts_02-thumb.png

So, we now come to the re-construction of the south-western Kapish. This place is still filled with Maxis Highway. That will be replaced with Real Highway as a first step of reconstruction, and it's a time-consuming one...

So here we start with a dual half-turbine Maxis Highway interchange. Note the red signs (ugly!) and the very tight spacing between the interchanges...

im-bts-k11.jpg

BOOM! There goes that one!

im-bts-k12.jpg

... and we lay down a fresh layer of asphalt here, a brand new RHW...

im-bts-k13.jpg

Now let's make up the ramps. You see that I tend to change the general layout while constructing. Quite some times a different setup just lines up better

im-bts-k14.jpg

im-bts-k15.jpg

im-bts-k16.jpg

im-bts-k17.jpg

And finally some bridges...

im-bts-k18.jpg

So, one interchange is done, but there's still quite some MHW left...

im-bts-k31.jpg

Now on to the next interchange. This was once a stack interchange, but it's going to be downgrade. First, I have to line up the RHW...

im-bts-k32.jpg

... then I build an overpass, add some ramps and we have a new diamond interchange here! It's not the best solution, but the area is too crammed to build something better, so therefore, I downgraded the A1 to N1 here...

im-bts-k33.jpg

Here's an embanked section of the A10. This leads to a bridge. Since I can't build three-tile RHW-6C bridges at the moment (even us from the NAM Team can't do this yet), I split up the RHW-6C to RHW-6S for a dual RHW-6S bridge.

im-bts-k34.jpg

Here you see that the old connection with the N25 is gone and that the N25 now has a different route. The RHW-6C has received some smooth curves too...

im-bts-k35.jpg

Another picture of work in progress that has been changed. At first, I decided to replace the elevated MHW with a elevated AVE-4, but as you can see the T21s are screwed up. In the end, I decided to go for a ERHW section...

im-bts-k42.jpg

im-bts_03-thumb.png

Now we move on to the Northern Shore. Here we have to replace some Maxis Highway interchanges with RHW interchanges (and some of these interchanges will be sacrificed for the reconstruction. You see I already cleared the area for some RHW construction.

im-bts-k19.jpg

Dragging out slopes... You see one of my tricks here at work: I use another network (rail or ELR) to smoothen out my RHW slopes, making them more gentle and realistic...

im-bts-k20.jpg

The strange TOTSO (Turn Off To Stay On) connection with the A2 is replaced by a simple trumpet interchange...

im-bts-k21.jpg

im-bts-k22.jpg

But wait! We had another stretch of RHW running parrallel to this stretch. Well, let's add that one too...

im-bts-k23.jpg

... and let it mix with the main lanes just up ahead...

im-bts-k25.jpg

What a difference! Compare that old MHW with the new stretch of RHW...

im-bts-k24.jpg

Cutting through the hills...

im-bts-k26.jpg

And hey! Another new connection!

im-bts-k27.jpg

Now here we have the A2 going through this half-abandoned neighbourhood. Shouldn't be too hard to replace... (I have to rebuild this neighbourhood anyway!)

im-bts-k28.jpg

Presto!

im-bts-k29.jpg

And an small overpass at the other side of the tunnel. This city district has been vastly reconstructed in the end...

im-bts-k30.jpg

im-bts_04-thumb.png

And this is our final Behind the scenes update. We are reconstructing some stuff over at the eastern shore...

Here we have a new bridge over the river Kareel. It's a yet unreleased bridge, and probably will be released at the next version of the RHW. Anyway, this bridge has a sufficient width of 3 lanes per side...

im-bts-k36.jpg

Some small reconstruction here, to connect the new RHW with the older RHW trumpet interchange. One exit is only realized as a half-exit, since there was no room to build the other side of it (and it would result in ultra-short weaving areas). I'm planning to widen this section a bit if some RHW-6S smooth curves and RHW-8S-to-8C Transitions are ready...

im-bts-k37.jpg

And here's another section of Maxis Highway that has been replaced by RHW. A small section still remains, still waiting for that RHW-4 over AVE-roundabout piece...

im-bts-k38.jpg

However, I didn't like how the ressidential area turned out here. It was messy and not properly developed, so I replaced it with something the city needs more: industry! This looks well more organised...

im-bts-k39.jpg

im-bts-k40.jpg

... and after some growth...

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/mrtnrln/ImaginiaStuff/MD/BehindTheScenes01/im-bts-k41.jpg

[img

Next update: the final result of the reconstruction. Stay tuned!

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

brsreplies.jpg

"i really like how you use more natural barriers for your

highways in some rural instances. And than of course you use

some very nice walls in the more urbanized developed areas..

Very nice update Maarten !"

-- Brian (b22rian)

Thank you for your kind words, Brian. It's my specialty to create aestetically pleasing RHWs...

"It looks great! I really like the look of the last two pictures. The interchange on a hill is an excellent solution to the terrain and is also very realistic. In the last picture the way the highway curves is just awesome... don't know how to explain it.

Great work and great update!"

-- sim_link

It was challenging to build an interchange there. It's allways challenging to build interchanges when slopes are involved, but I managed to come up with something very decent and I really like how it turned out. I'm glad you share the same opinion ;)

Oh and by the way, smooth curves and FARHW make your RHWs look really awesome. That's why I use them ;)

"awesome use of sunken avenuse and railroads. and also very nice with all the space in your cities, i would say it looks very green, but with that amount of highways it wouldnt make any sense to call it green but very pretty at anyrate."

-- yourmomrulez

Well, my current cities tend to look more green, and I like that. Over the years my building skills have improved pretty much (just look at how my city building skills were back at page 3, horrendous!)

15801722.jpg

-- TowerDude

15944381.jpg

:D Thanks for the reply.

"u can easily see this is made by maarten

such a "perfection" isn't in any other CJ that's for sure

Good Job Buddyn"

-- katherman111

You'd be suprised if I say that I've seen CJs that are even more perfect than mine. Take Antigone for example: that's insanely detailed! But I do have some kind of style, especially when it comes to RHWs...

"You promised us an infrastructure showdown and you've accomplished your promise word by word!"

-- TekindusT

"Always, the best highways and interchanges are yours

Your reconstruction masterplan is great, and started with a great update. I would change a couple things around Konrad and its suburbs, but i don't want to intrud in your CJ with out your approval...

Looking foward for more,"

-- Matt (emmotic)

I think I see your point. I'll consider the reconstuction over there, I'm planning to do some anyway ;)

"very good, this rhw pics are"

-- matheuspaulo

"what a great CJ!"

-- Arvin

"Okay... This is a great CJ Maarten! Can't wait to see more updates!"

-- jotauveefe

"OMG Extremely Nice!"

Thank you all!

im-u02-thumb.jpg

Konradedal (or Konradÿfal, as its Nagaskan name goes) is build in a valley where the river Konrade flows through. The terrain is hilly and this gives Konradedal a distinctive feature: terraces. The city has flat sections with height differences in between them, giving the city a multi-level effect.

We start with an overview of the city:

im-2.01.jpg

The city is split into three parts: a western shore part (former dutch), an eastern shore part (former Nagaskan) and the old Nagaskan fortess on a island in the river. The city was formerly split by a language barrier, but since 1987 this is not much of a problem anymore, since English is the lingua franca these days...

Here's an overview of the south-eastern part of the city, Ostrasita. Here you can clearly see the multi-level effect:

im-2.02.jpg

We move to the western part of the city. The old city center is build in seemingly Parisian style. This part of the city is build around the late 1700s, which explains you see more parisianesque architecture rather than dutch archtecture...

im-2.03.jpg

Moving further west, we have one of the newer suburbs, Hoogzyde (formely called Hoogzijde). It is build in the beginning of the 1980s:

im-2.04.jpg

im-2.05.jpg

Next up is the fortress island. This island has two fortresses: an old castle (Gämla Fjÿllöyeborg), build in the 12th century and a newer castle(Ny Fjÿllöyeborg), build in the 16th century. These fortresses are on a quite tall cliff island Fjÿllöye, making them very hard to conquer. During the colonization of Imaginia, this was once tried by the dutch, but without success. Today, Fjÿllöyeborg one of the best known historic tourist attractions of Imaginia.

Here we have the southern gate (Sudra Gäta):

im-2.06.jpg

The new castle:

im-2.07.jpg

And the old castle:

im-2.08.jpg

The fortresses are surrounded by mainly wooden buildings densly packed together:

im-2.09.jpg

im-2.10.jpg

Next up we have the Nagaskan part of the city, which is more modern. Here we have the city center on the eastern shore.

im-2.11.jpg

Some other city quarters

im-2.12.jpg

im-2.13.jpg

Industrial development is also present here, including a freight station and distribution center

im-2.14.jpg

im-2.15.jpg

To conclude, a pic of a passenger station in the suburbs:

im-2.16.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the update!

Oh, and I see there is a brown box present in one of my pictures, though it's quite hidden. Can you spot it? :ooh:

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

Well, it's a long while since I've updated this CJ for the last time. Since I've been working on this region again, it is time for revival.

But before we start, I've been planning some large reconstruction in Imaginia, mostly increasing the realism of the region (actually, the ONLY real recorded "reconstructions" are the diversion of the motorway C40 and the widening of the C75. Now here is the master plan:

reconstructies_imaginie.jpg_thumb.jpg

Note that the master plan is made in early January this year. After five weeks PC malfunctioning (which ceased development for a while >:( ), here's the current progress:

im_c40reconstructed.jpg

As you can see, I've reconstructed the freeway C40. I also did some very large reconstruction in Konradedal, which we're going to view in a two part update. For today, I'll show part 1.

im-u01-thumb.jpg

Konradedal is a medium-sized city. It's build upon hills, but the city has flattened these hills out to terraces. I've done some very large reconstruction here; it looked horrendous when I started reconstruction. Now I may say it ended up as one of my more decent cities.

Today we're going to focus on the main infrastructure of the city, and boy, this city has one! Actually, I started reconstucting the infrastructure first, because the old one was unrealistic to my opinion. So let's take a look...

im-1.01.jpg

Here we have a look at the old route of the C40. Imaginia prefers to use international route numbers instead of national route numbers; the old route also did bear the (administrative) number A7, which has been downgraded to N7. This was previously Maxis Highway, but since I want to get rid of those, I downgraded to an Avenue; the freeway has been re-constructed around city. I'll show some pics of it later...

im-1.02.jpg

With downgrading comes loss of functionality. And so you can see at-grade intersections here...

im-1.03.jpg

A simple Trumpet interchange in the mountains. The A2 heading east leads to Hopfelfal, to west it's heading for the north of Konradedal and the C40 to the border with Schellingen. To the south the N36 heads to Konradedal-East.

im-1.04.jpg

The N36 is just a short stretch of motorway and therefore it doesn't bear a motorway number, but a non-motorway national route number. This is the only exit on the route.

im-1.05.jpg

Just a bit farther east you see that the N36 is already downgraded to an avenue, called Fortress Avenue. Why is it called that? Well, this avenue leads to an island with some old fortresses on it, which I'll show you in the next update.

im-1.06.jpg

Now we move to the A2 again. Just north of Konradedal, it connects to the N34.

im-1.07.jpg

Going west we come across this interchange. The C40 has recently been widened here from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes. This was previously a huge bottleneck on the main route between the large cities Konrad (IM) and Muensterwald (BRS).

im-1.08.jpg

Here we see where the old route splits of the new route. The old route (N7) continues as a four lane highway, which will be downgraded to an avenue further down the road, the new route (C40, 2x3 lanes) goes around the city...

im-1.09.jpg

Here's the new connection with the N34. This is build up an hill, so that explains the absence of accelleration and decelleration lanes at the bottom of the picture.

im-1.10.jpg

And here the N7 merges again with the C40. Remember, the N7 once was Maxis Highway. I consider this as a re-construction well-done.

Want to see more? Stay tuned for next update when I show you around the city. I hope you enjoyed the update!

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

Well, after a year break I'll revive this MD. To make my point clear:

sbacktitle.jpg

Yes, we finally have an new update. I didn't updated this MD for over a year, but I didn't stop developing Imaginia. The country has now 3.77 million inhabitants! Also there are more new things here:

- Most of the Maxis Freeways are replaced by RHW. The A3 and A5 in Konrad and the A7 in Maxtor are converted quite recently.

- There are more agricutural areas in Imaginia, especially around the south coast and Brinasken.

- I demolished the A23 due to redundancy.

- I also constructed a new freeway: the A42, or the Farmers Freeway.

- The A16 doesn't end in Jonkersmond, but now goes around the city all the way to Newlandervayne (previously known as Nieuwlanderveen).

- South City (previously known as Zuidstad) has a brand new harbour.

- Quite some interchanges are reconstructed.

So there's quite a lot changed here. Here's a region shot:

I'll focus today on Konrad and Newlandervayne. Enjoy the pictures and click for full resolution!

sback01.jpg

sback02.jpg

sback03.jpg

sback04.jpg

sback05.jpg

sback06.jpg

sback07.jpg

sback08.jpg

sback09.jpg

sback10.jpg

sback11.jpg

sback12.jpg

sback13.jpg

sback14.jpg

sback15.jpg

sback16.jpg

sback17.jpg

sback18.jpg

sback19.jpg

sback20.jpg

sback21.jpg

sback22.jpg

sback23.jpg

sback24.jpg

sback25.jpg

sback26.jpg

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

gl00.jpg

Again we visit the beautiful city of Guilliano. The city has undergo some changes since we visited it for the last time. First, ALL Maxis Motorways are replaced by RHW. This includes some interchanges  3.gif ! Second, I've changed almost all motorway lights to Belgian Styled ones (they look a bit weird, but they have some kind of X-factor) and I changed the lightcones of all lights. Third, the sign models are replaced by version 5(!) of the Imaginia Motorway Signage Pack (not finished yet). Fourth, there are some newly developed areas (Foxshire, South Devota, South Plaza and Dharmaville (the last one is kinda Lost  9.gif)). And fifth: the city has brand new Prime Road Avenues!

Getting excited? Well, let's show the pictures! And this time, Click for Full Resolution!

01. Guilliano Central Station. Here it all started. The station has been here since the very beginning of Guilliano. The original building is Amsterdam Centraal Station and I've been there once.

gl01h.jpg

02. Guilliano City Center. This area has a non-gridded street pattern, which has been there from the beginning. Today it's dominated by skyscrapers.

gl02.jpg

03. Station Quarters. After the construction of the city center, this was after Northend the second expansion of Guilliano. Once this was a ghetto, full of R$ flats, but now change has come.

gl03.jpg

04. Northend. This area hasn't changed much since it's construction. It's one of the few ghetto's in Guilliano

gl04.jpg

05. The Circles distiguishes itself from the rest of the city's neighbourhoods with it's gridded street pattern and roundabouts. It's one of the older areas in Guilliano.

gl05.jpg

06. Sheepton has undergo a lot of changes. a lot of buildings are replaced by parks, and only a few flats remain. This gives the neighbouthood an open look.

gl06.jpg

07. Hey, do I just spot Prime Road Avenues? Yes, and this is the first road where I tested them. This road leads to Sebeshaber.gl07.jpg

08. Schellingenbruch is one of the newer city quarters and it's named after another region of mine: Bundesrepublik Schellingen.

gl08.jpg

09. Here you see the two tallest towers in Imaginia!

gl09.jpg

10. At night, the towers are looking even more beautiful!

gl10i.jpg

11. The Eastern Guilliano Freeway (A40) at night. It's the only Multi-RHW in Imaginia.

gl11v.jpg

12. "What do you mean 'Maxis ruled'?" Maxis rewards all packed together.

gl12.jpg

13. The A4 here was once a Elevated Maxis Highway, remember?

gl13.jpg

14. The roadgeekery doesn't end here. There are more Roadgeek pictures coming...

gl14.jpg

15. One of the reconstructed interchanges...

gl15.jpg

16. Here is another one...

gl16.jpg

17. Replacing one thing with something simmilair; this Elevated RHW exit was once a Elevated Maxis Highway exit...

gl17.jpg

18. Back to the city quarters. Foxshire is one of the newest city quarters.

gl18y.jpg

19. Did you already know Terra Minora is named after Haljackey's Greater Terran Region?

gl19.jpg

20. Ah, Xannepan's Parisian buildings are looking beautiful at night, don't they?

gl20.jpg

21. Another neighbourhood, this time Little Maroanestra, named after Art128's MD Maroanestra.

gl21.jpg

22. Dharmaville is still under construction. Look at those undeveloped zones!

gl22.jpg

23. The industrial area here is transformed in a office area: South Devota.

gl23.jpg

24. Here's another picture of South Devota.

gl24.jpg

25. And finally: the interchange Terra Majora. One of my best interchanges.

gl25.jpg

Video: Brinasken Tour

Here's a video slide show of the province of Brinasken in Imaginia! So sit back and relax.

Camera... light... ACTION!

Video

%26hl=en%26fs=1%26rel=0%26ap=%2526fmt=18'>
%26hl=en%26fs=1%26rel=0%26ap=%2526fmt=18" wmode="opaque">

MandelSoft

Road-Numbering Re-Organisation

Today in this mini-update, I'm going to show a map of whole Imaginia. I've reorganized the whole roadnumbering system. It was a complete mess, and even I didn't know which road weared which number. Now I've put some organisation in it. Here's the logic:

* Routes 1, 3, 5, 7 & 9 are the main routes that are located for the most part in the former Dutch part of the region.

* Routes 2, 4, 6 & 8 are the main routes that are located for the most partin the former Ngaskan part of the region.

* Route 10 is the Kapish city ring.

* Routes 11-19 are routes that are located for the most part in the province of Jonkerland.

* Routes 20-29 are routes that are located for the most part in the province of Nieuwland (Route 29 isn't build yet)

* Routes 30-39 are routes that are located for the most part in the province of Yutan.

* Routes 40-46 are routes that are located for the most part in the province of Brinasken. (Routes 47-49 aren't build yet)

* Routes 50-59 are routes that are located for the most part in the province of Näde-Andaluh.

* Routes 60-99 are not planned, but whenever there's a new route to be build, it gets a number of 60 or above.

Confusing? Well, at least we have the map here to make everything clear (click to enlarge, the picture is 4000x1700 pixels, so it's a big one!):

map7509.th.jpg

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

zs0.jpg

Westerbeek Airport is the main airport of Imaginia. After destroying those unrealistic airports in Kapish, Konrad, Maxtor and Nieuwlanderveen, these cities need a new airport. There was a large patch of empty land near Zuidstad, so I'd built the airport there. I actually wanted to show another version airport yesterday, but unfortunatly, the save file was corrupted. Fortunatly, I had a back-up file on my disk (so to all SimCity users, it's a very good idea to back-up your save-games). Now I've rebuilded the aiport and it looks a lot better than the previous one. It's the largest airport I ever build.

But a picture says a thousand words, so enjoy the pictures:

Region View

verzinzuela1241536307.png

Map (PS'd)

zuidstadmap.png

zs1p.jpg

zs2.jpg

zs3x.jpg

zs4.jpg

zs5p.jpg

zs6e.jpg

zs7.jpg

zs8.jpg

zs9.jpg

zs10.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this update.

Oh, and here in the Netherlands, today we celebrate Bevrijdingsdag (translation: Liberation Day)! We celebrate the end of WW2 in the Netherlands on 5 May 1945.

Bevrijding%20mei%201945_jpg.jpg

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

kr0p.jpg
The last time that I've shown Konrad to you, a lot has changed. The Brinasken Area (including Guilliano, Sebeshaber and Shosaloza) wasn't there, there wasn't any news about the RHW 3.0, the HRS was in it's starting stages, and my city building skills where not as good as they currently are. That gave me problems when I tried to update Konrad with my new city building skills (leaving some bottlenecks in the road network). Here are some changes that I would like to notice:

- Konrad has 500,000 inhabitants (which is more than the number of inhabitants in The Hauge). This is my personal record.

- The High Speed Rail and the Monorails are replaced by an Elevated rail.

- The A7 in the center of Konrad is now a RHW-6C

- I've builded some Green Belts around the motorways

- The A106 is now the N106

- A large part of the N101 is renumbered as the N15 (and a part of the A15 is renumbered as the A101)

- All airports in Konrad are removed (we wouldn't like planes colliding with buildings, do we?)

- Konrad hosts today a worthy Gouvernmental Complex

OK, enough talking, let's show the pictures:

Region view:

verzinzuela1238853452.png

Transportation Map (PS'd):

verzinzuela1238853485.png

kr10.jpg

kr9.jpg

kr8o.jpg

kr1l.jpg

kr14.jpg

kr2o.jpg

kr3.jpg

kr7.jpg

kr12f.jpg

kr5i.jpg

kr16.jpg

kr6.jpg

kr22.jpg

kr17.jpg

kr15.jpg

kr21.jpg

kr11.jpg

kr13.jpg

kr20.jpg

kr18.jpg

kr19.jpg

kr4.jpg

gouvenmentalcomplexofim.th.jpg

Video

Hurray! The second UDI movie is here! It's a tour through Konrad. The video is splitted into two parts (sorry guys, but YouTube didn't accept video's longer than 10 minutes)

Part 1

" play="true" loop="true" quality="high" allowscriptaccess="never">

Part 2

" play="true" loop="true" quality="high" allowscriptaccess="never">
MandelSoft

Motorway Madness

mm0.jpg

Yep, a large part of this update is dedicated to motorways. This is also a showcase of my new RHW textures (although they are not finished yet). I have took pictures from not one, two or three, but FOUR places in Imaginia. So take your time to watch these pictures...

mm1b.jpg

mm2yp8.jpg

mm3bv1.jpg

mm4et9.jpg

mm5bo2.jpg

mm6wn3.jpg

mm7ye4.jpg

mm8iz2.jpg

mm9yz7.jpg

mm10gn1.jpg

mm11vx3.jpg

mm12rc6.jpg

mm13cr1.jpg

mm14yr7.jpg

mm15mi1.jpg

mm16ax0.jpg

mm17sa2.jpg

mm18jg4.jpg

mm19wo8.jpg

mm20cy8.jpg

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

Guilliano
City Under Construction - Part IV

Again we return to Guilliano. The city has reached 150,000 inhabitants and even more jobs. But the rest of Gulliano is known terrain for you, so let's have a look at the pictures.

By the way, this is the first time that I used PhotoShop to style my pictures, and I must say: it looks pretty good!

guilliano2up6.jpg

guilliano4jj3.jpg

guilliano3nt4.jpg

guilliano18ig5.jpg

guilliano19aq9.jpg

guilliano20oy4.jpg

guilliano8jk6.jpg

guilliano9xv7.jpg

guilliano5vy7.jpg

guilliano10yg4.jpg

guilliano11gu4.jpg

guilliano6jb9.jpg

guilliano7up8.jpg

guilliano12ol5.jpg

guilliano13qz6.jpg

guilliano14gg0.jpg

guilliano15rv4.jpg

guilliano16tf5.jpg

guilliano1gf5.jpg

guilliano17ij3.jpg

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

I've learned four things today:

1. There's a Blue Screen Of Death in Windows Vista.

2. Never thought that Windows Movie Maker could crash your computer ten times or so  Storm.

3. The problem solver-thingy in Vista says that you're not connected to the internet, even when you do  What?¿

4. Patience is a blessing when you are uploading a video on YouTube.

The First Video! A1 in UDI mode

Well, here it is: the first video in this MD. I've worked hard on it (with numerous annoying crashes  angrymore ) I'm driving along the A1 from North to South. Enjoy the video!

%26hl=en%26fs=1%26rel=0%26ap=%2526fmt=18'>
%26hl=en%26fs=1%26rel=0%26ap=%2526fmt=18" wmode="opaque">

If the embedded video box doesn't work, try the

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

Frankenheim & RHW Showcase

About Frankenheim

The name Frankenheim is a placename that a friend of mine thought up. I liked that name, so I named one of the places in Imaginia after it (and the mayor after him). Frankenheim is a small city (30,000 inhabitants) near the border of Imaginia. Because of that, Frankenheim is the only place in Imaginia where the people speak native German. It's one of the main connections to the Bundesrepublik Schellingen.

About Frankenheims RHW-system

This is the first place where I tested out the RHW 3.0. I had much fun when I made the whole traffic layout. I had a whole traffic layout before I had überhaupt one buiding in Frankenheim! You'll see what I created with the new RHW here below.

Becaus one picture says more than a thousand words: the Pictures of Frankenheim

1 Region view

fkh25hh0.jpg

2 Transport view - Hey, do you see the RHW showing up (strange...)?

fkh24ec1.jpg

fkh1qs3.jpg

fkh21mh5.jpg

fkh22xb1.jpg

fkh4fo9.jpg

fkh5fn0.jpg

fkh14zv9.jpg

fkh16mb2.jpg

fkh2zm0.jpg

fkh11zt7.jpg

fkh18ax6.jpg

Get ready for some serious RHW 3.0 action! (yes I know there's no traffic on the pics, but that will come!)

fkh9do3.jpg

fkh6md5.jpg

fkh10nw8.jpg

fkh19xf6.jpg

fkh17lp8.jpg

fkh12ou6.jpg

fkh7ap6.jpg

fkh8zq2.jpg

fkh23vs5.jpg

fkh20gp6.jpg

fkh3ve7.jpg

fkh13sr8.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this update!

Best,

Maarten

MandelSoft

Gromsk

A small town gets a transit makeover!

Well, it has been a while since I played this town, so it's time to make a transit makeover! (Note: these pics are from three weeks ago).

1. Here's a mosaic of things that were in the town before I started the makeover. You see my first version of the Imaginian signs (today I've version 3).

grom11kn0.jpg

Now let's see how the town looks after the makeover:

2. The crossing is replaced by a roundabout and the ridiculously big signs are replaced by smaller ones.

grom12mv4.jpg

3. The southern highway A14 has got new signs and all over the town, trees are planted.

grom13jk7.jpg

4. This was first a pathetic interchange between the A6 and the A14, but the standard Maxis T-interchange looked better than a NAM overpass Y-interchange. There's also a curve added at the right.

grom14sv0.jpg

5. More sign upgrades.

grom15gq2.jpg

6. And last but certainly not least: the center avenue N14 is replaced by a RHW A14.

grom16ew4.jpg

Best,

Maarten