• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

City Journal of the towns of Jago Bay, Spooner, Altamont Pass, Harlan, Sawyer's Crossing, Gold Bend, Sun Valley, Bridgeport and Prosperity

Entries in this City Journal

SomewhereSim

Journal Entry #12 - Jago Bay at Night

CJ Comments - Bridgeport Entry

J-Gellock: Pretty decent shots here-I like it!

Thanks for the comment! Much Appreciated

8617443679_a4abe3ddc3_c.jpg

Back at Journal Entry 6 we did a detailed tour of Jago Bay when it was a small bustling high wealth town of just over 7,000. About 8 months have passed since we last visited the town, and it has grown into a small city close to 30,000. Residential high rises and hotels now occupy the skyline as Jago Bay flourishes as a destination for medium and high wealth individuals. With such expansive growth, city managers quickly needed to establish some mass transit options for people to move around. Pictured above you will find our new metro bus terminal and the new expo center that was built in record time.

8618552510_46cf24808b_c.jpg

This shot shows City Hall and the Jago Bay clock tower basking under the full moon. Construction continues upward, as seen here, as crews finish work on another residential tower. If you look in the background of the photo, you can see the Antelope River bridge off in the distance which is part of the Northwest region of JB-RR.

8618551926_4f01e16495_c.jpg

Here you will see the Mayor's house dwarfed by the high-priced condos and apartments of South Beach. A couple mansions remain on Money Street, but most owners have opted to sell their property to make millions in the high-rise market now.

8617442867_1b7b11cd9c_c.jpg

Not all of Jago Bay is for the "well-to-do". Here you can see the "Average Hotel" providing low-medium wealth sims a place to stay as they go to their favorite concert, catch a basketball game, or watch some monster trucks at the expo center. The Jago Bay Jaguars basketball team is a minor league SBA team that plays here and has a great regional following.

This wraps up our quick night tour of the city of Jago Bay. Stay tuned for some more night shots from neighboring communities soon.

SomewhereSim

Journal Entry #11 - Bridgeport

CJ Comments - Gold Bend Entry

B-more4: I love how you have you established a specific style in your city that's not just the generic city we've been seeing. :)

Thanks! I am trying to emulate a design of settling a new area. Rough and dirty first, then improvements as the city grows.

89James89: Love the update and how much character each of your cities have. If I achieve half of that with my city journal I'll be happy. Looking forward to more.

Thanks James. You are off to a great start yourself. I'll be watching your CJ as well.

Ln X: I really like how you make grid-like cities visually appealing, also what filter do you use?

I am using the 'Warmer' filter right now to take shots. I hope to add some more curves down the line, but grids are efficient. Thanks for the comment about them.

videodroner: I'm really loving this CJ. Really shows the potential of SC2013.

Yes, I think the potential is there definitely down the road. I do feel a little constricted right now, but I am going along with how they have implemented it and still have plenty of space on these 16 region boards to have some variety.

8605394982_0b75637e6d_c.jpg

Just up over the Antelope River bridge from Sawyer's Crossing on I-380, you will come upon the township of Bridgeport. Bridgeport is located on an island that divides the Antelope River as it empties into the Rye River. As with many other towns here, the mining boom for initial settlements have brought many to the area to seek their personal fortunes. The township is divided into two distinct areas, the bluff and the lowlands. On the bluff, its all business as you can see in the above pic. Some coal mines and factories dot the landscape here as well as Comstock Mining establishing their HQ here for the region.

8604291875_5c2a653582_c.jpg

The lowlands are where the gold mines are located as well as the central town district. The township is mainly a low-income town with mining its primary focus for now. Here you can see the residential area and its unimproved roads that stretch out east from the town center.

8604291751_65aaec18c2_c.jpg

This shot shows the two trade depots that try to keep up all of the mining activity output. 8 large ore trucks are constantly being loaded with gold and coal to be shipped out to the global market. As the town name suggests, Bridgeport is now in the planning stages of building a shipping port on the Rye River to be able to expand ore shipments to keep up with demand.

8605394514_f233edd075_c.jpg

This is a picture of the downtown area of Bridgeport. The downtown area hosts quite a few different shops for NW region visitors and locals to come spend their simoleons. In addition to the shipping port, a ferry terminal is set to break ground this year to link Bridgeport to Jago Bay and cities across the Rye River such as Gold Bend.

8604291387_d3dd9405f8_c.jpg

Our last shot show the Hilltop Medical Clinic that serves Bridgeport, Sawyer's Crossing, and surrounding communities. The 40 bed facility has some of the top rated physicians in the region and helps keep sims healthy from all the illnesses that seem to crop up in these mining towns with the elevated pollution levels.

I hope you enjoyed this little tour of Bridgeport. Next we will take a night tour of our towns to check out the night life of the cities that have established themselves in the region thus far...

SomewhereSim

Journal Entry #10 - Gold Bend

CJ Comments - Sun Valley and Prosperity Quake Entries

saathoff37: Wow. Some amazing photos. Really like it. SC2013 looks like a good buy. Keep the great work man!

Thanks Saathoff37! I am still having fun with it. Will keep the CJ active when I can...

ggamgus: I love the terminal in the last picture!

Yeah, I like the look of that high speed rail station with the backdrop of the Simoleon Mountains.

ggamgus: Dayum, dat's a lot of destruction. D:

The quake definitely did do some damage there in Prosperity. Look for a journal entry shortly showing some rebuilding and a brief city tour.

Andreas97: Nice Journal i love the level of interaction you show, it looks as if it were real and a real news broadcast. Can't wait for more, keep it up

Thanks Andres97. Just trying different forms of storytelling to keep things fresh.

89James89: Loving all the updates and how much work your putting into the story telling and history. Your picture taking is perfect as well. Also consider your farm idea borrowed/stolen that's awesome. Hope Prosperity can prosper once again after being hit by the earthquake.

Thanks James. Steal away on the farm stuff. I did it so the towns each had their own type of character to them. Prosperity should bounce back rather quickly. There are quite a bit of Simoleons in that township and most all the mines were unaffected by the quake.

Welcome to Gold Bend

The Simoleon Mountains which divide the NE and SE regions of Jago Bay RR are rich in resources for those townships that surround them. When we toured Harlan earlier, we could see that it was a booming mining town from a rather healthy ore deposit discovered by one of the farmers who first settled the area. The new township of Gold Bend is no different.

8592766639_3c4b250df7_c.jpg

Located Southwest of Harlan, Gold Bend lies at the foot of the Simoleon Mountains where it reaches the Rye River. The township contains over 20 mines currently and is the most productive ore township in the region with close to 500 tons of ore produced daily of coal and gold.

8592766507_bf4c04c757_c.jpg

Gold Bend actually received its name not from the ore they were pulling from the ground, but from the color of the water at sunrise from Sun Valley Slough that splits the township into two. Above is a perfect example of the golden shine of the water as the sun rises in the east at the start of each new day. To the right you can see the coal mines on Hutchinson Hill as one of the many ore mines in the township.

8592766391_8c8a2c2ba4_c.jpg

With all of the mine activity, Gold Bend commissioned to have a major coal plant constructed to handle the power needs of all of the mines, as well as a water treatment facility to handle all the groundwater waste they also produce. The coal power plant was expanded to provide power to the other communities in the SE region as you can see the multiple stacks generating power. Although the coal plant is a bit dirty in terms of energy, it is providing the power needs that are needed right now to sustain the explosive growth of this area. Townspeople insist that they would like to go cleaner in the future once the peak in mining has subsided.

8592766201_3c644fb963_c.jpg

Here is a shot of the downtown area of Gold Bend. The town center sits on a bluff overlooking Sun Valley Slough and residents home sprawl west in between the mines.

8593867278_5677cffc60_c.jpg

Our last shot shows one of the few farms that are located within the township. This area is known as Water Tower Row. The mines have a big appetite for water and are literally sucking the township dry. Gold Bend officials are looking into ways to relieve the water table before it is all used up and to provide farmers with enough of it for their crops as well. This will be one of the major challenges for this township until the mining boom has subsided.

Have a great evening... More coming soon...

SomewhereSim

6.8 Quake Rocks Prosperity

2 Dead / Hundreds Injured

While preparing our next journal entry to introduce the township of Prosperity, a 6.8 Quake rocked the downtown region and surrounding neighborhood. The quake happened just after midnight local time and caused catastrophic damage to the downtown area. Two people died in the medical clinic which was leveled in the quake along with several other downtown structures. The Red Cross has been dispatched to the area to help care for the hundreds injured from the quake.

8586465411_5156f6d5f7_c.jpg

As dawn approached, fire crews still had their hands full with fires that were burning out of control throughout the town. The fires burned well into the afternoon until help arrived from neighboring communities.

8586465195_11ed07e796_c.jpg

Once the fires subsided, 63 structures were destroyed by the quake and resulting fire. Nearly 2,000 residents have been displaced because of the quake and have moved to surrounding communities while the town begins the rebuilding process.

SomewhereSim

Journal Entry #9 - Sun Valley

CJ Comments

ggamgus: I can't believe I'm saying this about a SMALL TOWN, but, beautiful small town!

Thanks ggamgus. Trying to do a slower approach with my CJ and mimic a slower pace of people actually settling an area. I am sure we will see some larger cities eventually at some of these locations.

Johan_91: the bridge over that river is simply stunning ;O

Yes, too bad it wasn't created by me. It is one that Maxis did in the overall region. I would have gone for something less dramatic for now to match more with the communities it connects. Thanks for the comment.

2002 Major Events in Sun Valley

• January 2002 - National Resources Act Passes / Opens Area for Settlement
  • February 2002 - High Speed Rail Service Begins
  • March 2002 - Town of Sun Valley is born / Mining and Drilling Operations Start
  • June 2002 - Population hits 500
  • August 2002 - Summer Harvest Begins
  • September 2002 - Rash of fires by Arsonist set throughout town
  • November 2002 - Police / Fire Services Established
  • December 2002 - Population hits 1,000

8583856282_9578653236_c.jpg

Welcome to Sun Valley, where the rays of the sun warm the expanses of farmland to help feed the sims of the Jago Bay-Rye River region. The town is one of the many that are popping up after the Natural Resources Act was passed in January. Located in the SE area of the JB-RR Region, sims started to settle the area after the railroad over Altamont Pass and I-480 entered the area from the Northeast.

8582755951_f070d681df_c.jpg

The fields of rye are occasionally interrupted by mining/drilling operations of coal and oil. The townspeople are very pro farming and would like to keep the community rural as long as they can. Most of the farmers were ones that were dislocated from Spooner's expansion and reestablished themselves here.

8582755805_bd0ed7196a_c.jpg

Dyn-O-Mite Diggers and Get-N-Go Oil are working hand in hand with the farmers to occupy the least amount of land possible and plan to fully vacate the land once their claims have been harvested. Here you can see one of the farms and one of the oil complexes. In the background you can see Altamont Pass where Jago Bay is located on the other side of the Simoleon Mountains.

8583855734_c4a66474a1_c.jpg

Here is the Lucky Star Trailer Park which houses most of the migrant workers that work the fields here in Sun Valley. Occasionally, they get together and celebrate various Spanish holidays in the BBQ Pavilion where the smells of South of the Border food and music fill the summer evening air.

8583855104_3d1ae68737_c.jpg

Sun Valley has a small industrial park mainly to support the mine/drill operations and repair mining equipment. Waste Management also occupies a small plot for their dump that services Sun Valley, as well as the other SE communities of JB-RR Region.

8582755295_56ea3ce8a0_c.jpg

The final shot shows the new High Speed Rail terminal that links Sun Valley residents with the Jago Bay region. A German outfit won the contract to setup a high speed rail system to link the communities of Sun Valley, Alta, Harlan and Jago Bay altogether. Sun Valley is unique as it links the NE region to the SE region via rail so sims can travel freely between both areas in comfort and quickness.

Thanks for reading... More coming soon.

SomewhereSim

Journal Entry #8 - Sawyer's Crossing

2002 Major Events in Sawyer's Crossing

• January 2002 - National Resources Act Passes / Opens Area for Settlement
  • February 2002 - Railroad Spur work completed / Comstock Mining starts building gold mine on Screaming Squirrel flat.
  • March 2002 - Town of Sawyer Established with building of Town Hall / Basic Services Installed
  • April 2002 - Bridge work completed over Castle Creek / Farmers start planting first crop
  • May 2002 - Mine Opens / Town expands to 300
  • June 2002 - Population hits 500

8578387183_0fe265a68e_c.jpg

Welcome to the mining town of Sawyer, in the Sawyer Crossing Township. This town is one of the first to be created outside Jago Bay and is a direct result of the Natural Resources Act passed in January of this year. Comstock Mining won the contract from the regional director to establish basic services and acquire mining rights within the township. Land surveys were done and a rather extensive gold deposit was found on Screaming Squirrel flat. In this photo, looking North, you can see an overall view of the town of Sawyer, Comstock Mine, and the farmland that stretches out to the north.

8579487630_147afce2c9_c.jpg

Here is a view of main street in Sawyer. Paving was recently finished on main street to give residents a break from the dust that seems to cling to everything here. The rail spur was completed in February to help move some of the heavier steel required for the mine. It has since gone silent as the main mode of getting ore out of Sawyer for now is by six wheels. You can see one of the ore trucks about to leave town to sell a truckload to the global market.

8579487464_5a7e3412ee_c.jpg

This photo above shows the recently installed wood bridge that spans over Frog Lick Slough. The bridge connects the town of Sawyer to Anderson Island which currently is occupied by Waste Management and their dump location. On the weekends, you will find sims line up along the bridge doing some bass fishing. The slough is a popular fishing spot for locals. Further back you can see the farmlands of Sawyer's Crossing as well as Castle Mountain. In the late afternoon, the mountain casts a shadow on the valley as it sets cooling off sims during the summer and making the days even shorter in the winter.

8579487396_a177448d1b_c.jpg

Our next shot comes from a bluff on Castle Mountain looking at some of the farm plots in Sawyer's Crossing. Castle Creek meanders down into Frog Lick Slough as depicted here with the vine of pine and oak trees soaking up the mountain fresh water. Beyond the town of Sawyer you will see the Antelope River suspension bridge as I-380 climbs up out of the valley and connects Sawyer to the town of Bridgeport.

8578386749_61cf5b7c97_c.jpg

After a long day's work, weary miners wander into the local watering hole called Fool's Gold. A pool table, arm wrestling tournaments, and the local band Dirty Bit rock the tiny stage within the bar. If you ever drop by ask for their famous "Fire In The Hole" Wings and wash it down with some Rye River Brewery beer.

8579487230_0aec9ee54d_c.jpg

The last shot shows the town of Sawyer at sunrise as the little mining town starts to wake up for another day in this great little town. I hope you enjoyed this little tour.

More coming soon...

SomewhereSim

CJ Journal Replies

mibsweden: This is amazing work. I love all the background story you put in to those pictures. It really adds to the mood of those photos. I almost feel like I am there sometimes.

Thanks for the comments mibsweden. My storytelling does need some work, but I hope those that read it get something out of it instead of just seeing a batch of pics. Look for more stories in future posts.

moeom: Im liking the way the cities are all planned out. Very nice updates. Puts a smile on my face.

Thanks moeom. The cities are roughly planned out to kind of imitate the rush of settling into an area. As the cities and towns mature, more precise planning will take place.

Luiz P. Romanini: I'm loving this CJ. It's the first SC2013 journal that i'm truly liking it!!

Glad you are enjoying the CJ Luiz. Thanks for you comments. Much appreciated!

Jago Bay / Rye River Natural Resources Act

8576918392_d620b0d6b1_c.jpg

On January 1st 2002, Assemblyman Smith passed into law the Natural Resources Act. The act was created to cut the majority of red tape to allow mining companies to setup and establish mining operations in new areas of the region that are now opening outside the Jago Bay area. As part of the act, mining companies will petition for rights to township sections and provide the following infrastructure in exchange for the mining rights of the township areas:

• Power
  • Sewage Treatment
  • Water / Garbage

The act was made in order to expedite the settling of the twelve remaining townships in the region. The agreement aims to provide a job base and basic services for those who decide to settle and work in the area. The act also grants farmers access to open land areas to develop crops and raise livestock for land that is not initially claimed by mining companies.

Our next update will start highlight these small mining towns as they expand out from Jago Bay....

SomewhereSim

CJ Comment Replies

Schulmanator: 400 tons of gold?? I think I need to get my pan out and start prospecting

Yeah, those who decided to settle early are bringing in the simoleons right now. Its not strictly gold, it is about a 70/30 mix of gold/coal. It will be interesting to see what happens to these mine companies once the ore is gone. Market prices have dropped considerably with these new deposit finds. Thanks for the reply!

2001 Major Events in Jago Bay

• Feb 2001 - Sims begin to settle the region
  • June 2001 - High Wealth Sims start to build on the exclusive South Beach area
  • August 2001 - The first of three tract home developments is open for residents
  • November 2001 - Jago Bay raises nearly a million simoleons in benefit efforts for those affected by the Spooner Quake
  • December 2001 - Cruise Ship service starts in Jago Bay

The last stop on our photo tour is the City of Jago Bay. Named after the area's prominent bay, Jago Bay has grown into a population of just over 7,000 and is a small chic town where shopping and the well to do spend their hard earned dough and is also a bedroom community for those who work in Harlan. Here is a quick photo tour of the region....

8569438143_b7d788db10_c.jpg

The southeast shore of Jago Bay could be a spot for Robin Leach to host an episode of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Bankers, stock brokers, and upper management of Harlan's mine operations call this place home. The inventor of the Spiezeldorf Untibert lives here as well as boxing legend Muhammad Fraiser.

8570534066_16da4a6589_c.jpg

Here is a photo of Simoleon Street, a place where you can drive on the wealthiest street in the Jago Bay region. When someone refers to the 1%, it is most likely the residents who live in this small city block cluster they are referring to.

8569437235_272db0b85b_c.jpg

Besides the rich homes, the city of Jago Bay support local artists. Here is one of the many sculptures that are are located along the beachfront.

8569435739_6c3050c392_c.jpg

Here is quick snap of the some of the high-end shops located on the east side, complete with their own security. In November, these shops as well as residents of Jago Bay raised over one million simoleons for Spooner Quake victims and their families. For all the money flowing around here, crime is very low as the police department who patrols these parts are one of the best in the nation.

8569436559_50906b147f_c.jpg

The medium wealth sims who live in Jago Bay reside in a neighborhood just north of downtown called Buckingham Park. Colorful flowers, fountains, and large forested home plots sets this area apart from any other in the Jago Bay area. The area is a favorite for sims for jogging about the and the nature trails scattered throughout the woods.

8569436155_1a50e48e11_c.jpg

This shot is of what locals call "Northshore". A neighborhood mixed with middle-low class offers a great beach and those lucky enough to rent apartments with a bay view can watch the ship traffic leave and enter the bay. Northshore was the first residential development of Jago Bay and has pretty much stayed the same since people started living here.

8570533248_5ce8ee4725_c.jpg

Here is an aerial shot of the western part of the Jago Bay township. Here you can see three different tract home developments that serve as bedroom communites for those who work in Harlan. Neighborhood thruways have been created for these communities to make the commute home less time consuming. The neighborhoods feature soccer and baseball fields, a skate park, and some tennis and basketball courts.

8569436983_eecda45858_c.jpg

The final shot is the Jago Bay ferry terminal what opened up in November 2001. It not only completes the link of ferry services for all four towns in the Jago Bay region, but is the first ferry terminal to feature a cruise ship port. City leaders hope to develop this area of the township as a tourist destination with plans for a expo center as well as some other places to attract tourists.

This wraps up the individual city tour for the Northeast region of Jago Bay-Rye River region. As mentioned earlier, the railroad link over Altamont Pass was completed so we should start seeing photos of the sims starting to settle in the new area soon. We will check back on these initial cities in a few months to highlight any new growth that might be of interest.

Have a great evening....

SomewhereSim

2001 Major Events in Altamont Pass

• Mar 2001 - Gold Discovered at Harlan Farm
  • July 2001 - Harlan reaches population of 5,000
  • August 2001 - Several Mines open in the City
  • November 2001 - "The Great Fire" resulting from the Spooner Quake destroys a third of the buildings in the industrial sector.
  • December 2001 - Trade Port opens to accept ship traffic / Dyn-O-Mite Diggers establishes Headquarters in Harlan

Our next stop on on photo tour brings us to the mining town of Harlan. Harlan is one of those boomtown stories that you used to read about in the history books. When the area was open for settlement, farmers set up on the flatlands to raise food, cows and livestock. The Harlan's owned a rather large track of land in the center of this township. One day, ol' farmer Harland was plowing out in his field when he noticed an area of his field that seemed to glisten in the sunlight. He jumped off his equipment and low and behold there was tiny flakes of gold mixed in with the soil. This find caused a rush of citizen to the area and the city of Harlan went from a population of about 50 in March, to over 5,000 by July. The town was named after Farmer Harlan and the rest is history.

8567079344_c6c07234f7_c.jpg

Harlan is much different now then it was six months ago. Long gone are the expanses of fields and cattle, only to be replaced by asphalt and automobiles. Here is a shot of what you would see entering Harlan from I-280W. The town commercial district is very small and most do their shopping in neighboring Jago Bay.

8565990029_6efbabb2d3_c.jpg

Here is a picture of Northshore Harlan. Dyn-O-Mite Diggers recently established their headquarters here which brought the area some much more needed white collar jobs to the town. You can see Alta off in the distance across the bay.

8565979133_a7452f0bf6_c.jpg

Here is a close-up of the Dyn-O-Mite Diggers HQ. No suit have jumped from the windows yet as market prices have been pretty stable so far.

8567077290_19558977e0_c.jpg

With all of the ore coming out of the ground here, there was only so much that trucks could move out. Late in the year, construction was completed on the regions first trade port. Now, massive amounts of ore and goods are loaded onto ships to be purchased and sold on the global market.

8565976069_db3d869a67_c.jpg

All loaded up and ready to float!

8565976381_f76d22ef48_c.jpg

Here is the industrial sector of Harlan. The Spooner quake in November wreaked havok here as several factories caught fire. With all of the money flowing in Harlan though, the region bounced back rather quickly. In the background you can see one of four major mine complexes that occupy the old fields of Farmer Harlan. 24 mines operate in the area producing gold ore and coal.

8565975235_c1bbd40bca_c.jpg

Here is a remnant of the Great Fire. Harlan has since increased its fire protection to minimize an impact from such an event again.

8567071196_f87fe0335e_c.jpg

The great quake also made Harlan move from depending on Altamont Pass for power as the lines were cut in the quake. General Power and Electric constructed this coal power plant that uses Harlan's very own coal to be self-sufficient.

8567070570_c9381d359c_c.jpg

Here is a close up of one of Dyn-O-Mite Diggers Ore Plant. Currently the area produces over 400 tons of gold and coal and is the lifeblood of Harlan at this time.

Hope you enjoyed the entry... Take care!

SomewhereSim

City Journal Replies

@alex_1210 - Thanks for the comments!

2001 Major Events in Altamont Pass

• July 2001 - Gold Discovered at Hartley Farm
  • August 2001 - First Mine Breaks Ground
  • September 2001 - Alta Industrial Park Opens
  • October 2001 - Population hits 1,000
  • November 2001 - Rockslide from Spooner Quake kills local family. Townsite moved to riverfront.
  • December 2001 - Railroad over Altamont Pass completed. Opens up Southeast Region for Settlement

As with the previous entry, things have been very busy in the Jago Bay region. The township of Altamont Pass sits above Spooner in the foothills of the Simoleon Mountains. The higher terrain offers residents and visitors beautiful vistas and scenery of the entire Jago Bay region. Here is a quick photo tour of how the town has progressed the past year.

8563602106_a7b6c19dd6_c.jpg

Here is the food and fuel stop corridor from the freeway. This was the old town site until early November when a rockslide killed a family living in a home on the right side of this street. Town was moved toward the waterfront to make it safer for our citizens.

8562411897_71e550eb03_c.jpg

One of the first businesses to set up shop in Altamont Pass township was "It's A Breeze" Wind Farm. Taking advantage of the westerly winds that come through the pass and off the mountains, this company powers the entire Jago Bay region with wind energy.

8562491101_f602d02f8d_c.jpg

Later in the year, It's A Breeze installed larger turbines to help with demand as the region grows. To the right, you will see a Dyn-O-Mite Diggers Coal Plant that is one of two that are located in the Altamont Pass area. This is kind of a symbolic image of how energy has evolved from dirty to clean as technology improves.

8563519832_015e7f27e4_c.jpg

Here is a view from Vista Park that sits on the edge of the Mesa looking out over Jago Bay. You can see several things in this photo. The town of Alta to the left, Hartley Mine right-center, and the cities of Spooner (Right) and Jago Bay (Top-Left) off in the distance.

8563519086_e79bdb4d4f_c.jpg

Here is the NE view from the steps of Town Hall. Don't understand how the protesters can stage a protest with such beautiful scenery around them.

8562411019_338b71dbd7_c.jpg

Here is shot of the downtown area of Alta. The town is very laid back and our fire department handles more calls for cats in a tree instead of fires at the current time.

8562411459_fd55c0e385_c.jpg

Here is Main Street looking east. A couple of Antique Shops, a Country Cluck, and a couple other small town business occupy this street.

8563519362_c734627c2e_c.jpg

This is a wider view from the waterfront. A mix of homes can be found here. Lookout Mountain dominates the skyline to the south.

8562411289_e29464f58b_c.jpg

Little League Baseball is the main attraction here on Saturdays. Life in Alta moves a bit slower then the other towns in the region. Twin Mesas and Altamont Pass can be seen off in the distance.

8563518940_3398a3fa1d_c.jpg

Here is the first mine that broke ground in the town. Farmer Hartley discovered gold here earlier this year and it appears it is part of the same ore vein in the ground that made the town of Harlan rise up overnight. The townfolk here have a better handle on growth and limit the number of new business permits each month.

8562494051_73e5f83b89_c.jpg

Alta Business Park opened up in late Spring to designate an area in the township for industrial growth. The green barrier of trees and the curvy Jago River keep the air quality in Alta very good as the prevailing wind pushes any pollutants east giving the Alta area clear blue skies on most days.

8562493921_ab98a037a7_c.jpg

This final shot shows another Dyn-O-Mite Diggers Coal Mine on the east Mesa and gives you a view toward the Northwest. Here you can see the town of Alta in the center of the picture and the mining town of Harlan, off in the distance.

Hope you enjoyed this tour of our second township. More coming soon...

SomewhereSim

2001 Major Events in Spooner

• July 2001 - Grandmother abducted from home by UFO / Destroys one other home
  • July 2001 - Ferry Service begins between Spooner, Harlan, and Jago Bay
  • August 2001 - Spooner Parkway Construction Completed
  • September 2001 - First Annual Rye River BBQ Fest Held in City
  • October 2001 - Population Hits 10,000
  • November 2001 - Earthquake Rocks Downtown Area / 13 Dead, 12 Buildings Destroyed
  • December 2001 - Meteor Strike Nearly Hits City Hall / Oil bubbles up from crater

Well, It's been a year since our trusty Assemblyman Smith took the helm of the Jago-Bay-Rye River Region. Mr. Smith has been very busy developing the first four townships of the region. The town of Spooner, which had a population of 50 farmers the first month of 2001 has blossomed to over 10,000. Below you will see a picture of Spooner Parkway as you exit the I-280E Freeway looking toward the city.

8561419012_8dab07c296_c.jpg

The Parkway was approved in June by the City Council and took about 4 months to complete the work. The parkway has reduced commute times for our citizens and is lined with beautiful pines from the Simolean Mountains.

8561418692_37e00d4e6e_c.jpg

Spooner's Industrial area is an important part to the city's economy. Generating jobs for families and providing products for the entire region.

8560311869_d757319dca_c.jpg

This is one of the four farms out of the fifteen remaining as urban growth expands from Spooner's city centre. It is sad to see these great expanses of farmland be gobbled up, but the citizens of Spooner do their best to support them by purchasing locally grown food at the evening farmer's market during the summer months.

8561418506_c9414e1964_c.jpg

One of our smaller neighborhoods as you enter city limits.

8560311643_8bdcca2196_c.jpg

In July, Spooner worked with Harlan and Jago Bay to start passenger ferry service for commuters and shoppers. The boat ride is a beautiful one as you might even spot pods of whales and dolphins during the bay trip.

8561417986_3044993abb_c.jpg

Apartment homes are the big boom right now in Spooner. Many of these building types are replacing the vacant lots that were left from the 6.3 earthquake that rattled the downtown area in September. 13 people died and 12 buildings were lost in the shaking and resulting fire. The Spooner FD was put to the test with the disaster and it gave the city government a wake up call to prepare disaster preparedness.

8560312465_19c0e266a1_c.jpg

A plane passenger snapped this photo of the quake in action. Notice the buildings that fell during the shaking. Fires erupted both on the North (Right) and South (Left) of the downtown area. As you can see below, the downtown area rebounded nicely after all the debris was cleared.

8561417380_db1f0da83a_c.jpg

8561417654_9ecf9a0315_c.jpg

A news helicopter took this shot on January 1st, 2002, the night after the meteor strike nearly leveled City Hall. You can see the impact zone to the right of the building. Although, the meteor was a close call, and was so close to the major earthquake, it revealed a large deposit of oil that will surely help in the rebuilding efforts this next year. Companies are already swooping up property rights and the population is over 12,000 as people start to move in for the oil boom.

Hope you enjoyed the entry....

SomewhereSim

Assemblyman Smith commissioned an aircraft to do an aerial survey of the region to see how things are progressing for the Jago Bay area. Below are some pictures with population numbers and a brief intro to each area after the Assemblyman has had control of the region for 6 months. The pictures only represent one/fourth of the region under his control. Work continues by the State of Maxis to establish road/rail/infrastructure in the other areas of the overall region. Hope you enjoy the pictures...

Jago Bay Overview

blogentry-607778-0-29000500-1363228176_t

The Jago Bay region consists of four different townships and a Great Works National Commerce site. The area surrounds Jago Bay and has varying terrain from green pastures of Rye and Wheat to scenic mountain vistas that overlook the region. The Jago River flows from the east into Jago Bay and provides great fishing opportunities for its inhabitants. The four townships in the region are as follows: Jago Bay, Spooner, Altamont Pass, and Harlan. The Great Works NCS is located in the Northeast section of the area. Resources above and below ground make this area an ideal location for development.

Town of Spooner

blogentry-607778-0-74349300-1363229041_t

As visitors drive south on Interstate 280E, the first exit they will come across is to the town of Spooner. Spooner received its name from the early farmers here that used to get together each weekend and play spoons in the town square. The area is an eclectic mix of farmland, factories, and has a beautiful waterfront. Spooner is developing into a nice little town and currently has a population of just over 4,000 citizens.

Town of Alta (Altamont Pass)

blogentry-607778-0-19493900-1363230585_t

Once you jump back on the freeway from Spooner, you continue to drive south across the Jago River where you will enter the Altamont Pass Township. The area is named after the mountain pass that sits to the southwest of the township and opens up the southern area of the Rye River region. As you cross the river bridge, you will start to climb out of bay wetlands and farm fields into the foothills of the Simoleon Mountains. The freeway starts its turn west when you come across the next exit for the town of Alta. Nestled between two mesas, Alta provides valuable resources for the Jago Bay region. "It's a Breeze" Power Company provides wind power for the entire region via their wind farm on West Mesa. Initial land surveys revealed that the area mesas are rich in coal deposits and Dyn-o-Mite Diggers currently operates a coal mine on the East Mesa. Farmland occupies the northern area of the township where the Jago River enters into Jago Bay. Alta currently has a population of 525 citizens.

Town of Harlan

blogentry-607778-0-63155600-1363230795_t

Heading west back on the freeway, you will drive past Altamont Pass to the south as 280E turns into 280W. The freeway quickly descends back into the bay wetlands and farm fields of Jago Bay as it turns back northbound in its loop. The next exit is the town of Harlan which was named after the initial farmer who settled here and discovered a rich deposit of gold while plowing in the flatlands of the township. Harlan quickly grew into a mining town overnight as mining companies negotiated claims with farmers in the region. Two ore mines and one coal mine are currently pulling money out of the ground and giving residents in the region a good job base. A federal marshall with a quick draw is said to frequent these parts to help police with local area crimes. Harlan currently has a population approaching 3,000 citizens.

City of Jago Bay

blogentry-607778-0-65577500-1363231642_t

The final exit before heading back out of the region to the north is the City of Jago Bay. Named after the region's prominent landmark, the township is home to farmland, a forest, and a beautiful coastline. The city is the main area of commerce for the region and has the most stores for citizens to shop. It was the first city in the region to establish fire and police services and will continue as the commerce hub for the region. Jago Bay currently has a population over 7,000 citizens.

I hope you enjoyed this quick little tour of the Jago Bay region. The next entry should start showing some of the details of each of these towns. See ya soon...

SomewhereSim

Jago Bay / Rye River Prologue

In the year 2000, the State of Maxis passed legislation to open up new lands that were once controlled by Maxis Land Managment Bureau (MLMB). The governor, Will Wright, along with the state legislature appointed new assemblymen for these new districts. In May of 2000, Assemblyman Smith has been assigned to take control of the lands that MLM refer to as the Jago Bay / Rye River region. It's been about six years since Assemblyman Smith was elected to this kind of position and had mixed success. Since then, the advancement in data availability should make Assemblyman Smith have a much better chance of success in the new region.

Below is a brief timeline of events that happened during the year 2000 to get the region available for Assemblyman Smith.

• January 2000 - Maxis State Legislature passes MLMB Expansion Act
  • February 2000 - Jago Bay / Rye River Transportation & Infrastructure Bill Passed
  • March 2000 - Week long solar flare activity temporarily knocks out communications and data availability of Maxis government. EA Data Services is to blame for using inadequate hardware.
  • April 2000 - Construction begins on highway / rail extensions into the Northeast quadrant of the Jago Bay / Rye River region
  • May 2000 - Assemblyman Smith is appointed to take control of the Jago Bay / Rye River region at 8:00 AM, January 1st, 2001 by Governor Will Wright and Maxis State Legislature.
  • June 2000 - Assemblyman Smith starts municipal planning for the region.
  • July 2000 - Land Surveys are done by Department of Resources
  • August 2000 - Three township areas are designated for the NE area. These are: Spooner, Altamont Pass, Harlan and a Great Works area is designated.
  • September 2000 - It's A Breeze wins Wind Power Utllity Contract / Builds initial power station in Altamont Pass Area
  • October 2000 - Underground Water / Utility Construction completed
  • November 2000 - Initial Highway Construction Completed
  • December 2000 - Assemblyman Smith rings in the new year as Assemblyman for the Jago Bay / Rye River Region

More entries soon...